• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 3,295 Views, 78 Comments

First Contact - Cmdr Brohoof



Lyra is witness to a strange event during a solar eclipse. What are these beings form space?

  • ...
17
 78
 3,295

Crash Landing

“Here they come” a unicorn in the crowd said as the two alicorns landed in front of the crowd.
The crowd cheered as they turned to face them.
“Our loyal subjects we are honored to spend this special event with you in Ponyville.”
“She so pretty” Bon-Bon said as the Princess continued her speech
“Ugh I wish they would hurry up speeches are so boring” Lyra sighed
“Stop being rude Lyra” Bon-Bon nudged her

Princess Celestia was finishing up her speech “Now for the moment you have all waited for” she turned and looked at her sister. Luna nodded and closed her eyes as her horn began to glow. The moon traveled across the sky getting closer and closer to the sun until it blocked it completely. Many oh’s and ahs emitted from the crowd as they watched the Princess work her magic.

The silence was broken by a loud boom and a bright spot appeared in the sky. The crowd began to mummer at the strange fiery object. The Princesses even seemed puzzled at the strange event. Celestia looked to Luna as she responded with a confused look.

“Is that supposed to happen?” Bon-Bon asked as she watched the object travel across the sky. Lyra noticed something shoot off from the main part and land deep in the Everfree forest. It seemed as if she was the only pony to notice the second object. The fireball disappeared out of sight behind a mountain. Princess Luna continued to move the moon until the eclipse was over.

Celestia again spoke the crowed “We hope you all enjoyed the eclipse we are sad to say that we cannot stay and enjoy the festivities.” The two quickly flew off toward where the strange object disappeared.
“Well then…uh…” Mayor Mare spoke up “Enjoy the rest of the celebration” The crowd dispersed onto other parts of the festival. The whole town was talking about the strange fireball that fell.

“What do you think it was?” Bon-Bon said aloud
“No clue did you see it fall in the forest?” Lyra asked
“Huh what are you talking about it landed behind that mountain”
“The other part of it”
“I don’t remember any other part” Bon-Bon thought back

“We are not alone!” A pony was yelling to a small crowd gathered around
“What’s this all about” Lyra said aloud
“There are strange creatures that exist out in space. I’ve seen them!” the pony continued
“What a nut job” a passing colt said
Lyra stopped to listen to the pony
“They are coming! This was the first sign. Strange ponies from beyond the sky they have smooth grey skin and no fur with big great giant heads!”
“Come on Lyra lets go” Bon-Bon pulled Lyra away
“Yeah…” Lyra said as she stared back at the ranting pony.

Hendricks awoke to the sound of alarms and computer warnings.
“Entering atmosphere engage flight mode” the monotone computer announced. Hendricks was wide awake remembering what had just happened.
“Doctor Hood!” he shook the unconscious doctor. He turned back to the controls attempting to gain control. Down below he could see green forests, blue lakes and large snow capped mountains.
“Where are we?” he said aloud
“Impact in two minutes”
“Crap, come on doc time to go” He picked up the doctor and carried her to the escape pod he sat her down and closed the hatch behind him. As he buckled the docotor and himself he pulled a lever jettisoning the escpae pod. “Pod away” the computer confirmed. The pod was completely dark with the exceptions of the doctor and his hard suit lights. The pod shook violently as they continued through the atmosphere.

Finally they landed and slid on the ground. Hendricks could hear the pod breaking trees and plowing through dirt. When they came to a stop Hendricks caught his breath as he opened the hatch. He pressed a few buttons on his wrist and waited as he looked around the crash site. He was standing in the middle of a clearing in a forest the trench from where the pod landed had caught many branches in its path on fire. The suit beeped causing him to look at his wrist “Well at least we won’t have to worry about air” he removed his helmet and took a deep breath.

“HENDRICKS!?” he heard Doctor Hood yell “Where are you?”
He jumped back in the pod to see Doctor Hood panicking “I’m here don’t worry were safe…for now.” He helped her out of the pod.
“Your helmet...” she began
“It’s safe I already checked”
She removed her helmet. “Where….where are we? The last thing I remember was going through the ring.”
“No idea. When I came too we were already plummeting toward this planet. I barley had enough time to get us in the escape pod.”
“So were stuck here?”
“Unless there is a spaceport here or somebody hears the pod or the ships beacon seems so.”
“The ship? Where is it?”
He gestured in the direction of a large mountain “Somewhere over there”
The forest began to lighten up both the doctor and Hendricks looked up.
“An eclipse” she said
“I hope this place only has one sun.”
“We should head to the ship maybe it we can get the comms working” Hood began to head toward the mountain “We’ll need the supplies too”
“I think we should wait scout the area first see if anything lurks in these woods. The pod has enough supplies for a few days.”
“You’re right I feel extremely weak anyway”
“It’s the shock get some food in you and relax.


Lyra and Bon-Bon were sitting at a café. Bon-Bon looked over the menu as Lyra gazed toward the forest.
“I think I want some chocolate cake but it goes straight to my flank want to share a slice?” Bon-Bon asked.
Lyra didn’t respond
“Lyra are you ok”
“Huh…yeah I was just thinking what if that pony was right and there are things out there.”
“Don’t tell me you believe in that stuff ponies from space please.” Bon-Bon snickered
“Not ponies but something you know?”
“Listen I’m sure it was just a shooting star or something.” Bon-Bon looked back at the menu “Oh I’m getting that cake anyway. Where are you going?”
Lyra left the café and headed back to where the pony was trying to convince the crowd about ponies from space. The crowd had already dispersed leaving the pony trying to stop passersby.
“Ah young filly back again!” the pony beamed “Back for the truth I see”
Lyra felt uncomfortable from the ponies gaze “Uh well I don’t really believe…but I think that fireball was something.”
“Right you are” The pony turned to the crowd “Follow the example of this young filly…QUESTION EVERYTHING!”
The ponies in the area all gave Lyra a look and laughed to themselves. Lyra looked at the ground avoiding their gazes.
The pony turned back to Lyra “Bah ignore them. Just wait once I get proof from the fireball I’ll show them.”
“I know where it is!” Lyra perked up
“You do?!”
“Yes the forest I saw a piece crash there”
“Hmmm yes I remember that…we should split up you check out the forest I will gain more supporters” The pony went back to yelling his warnings
“Right…” Lyra left the pony to his ramblings “He may be crazy but he is right if I could find whatever landed in the forest it would settle everything and how I’m not like that crazy pony…wait who am I talking to?”
Lyra ran to the house her and Bon-Bon shared.
“There you are. Thanks for leaving me I had to eat your share of the cake.” Bon-Bon scolded Lyra as she ran past her to her room.
“Where are you going?”
Lyra stopped “uh I’m going to work late”
“I thought you finished everything?”
“Big emergency…many instruments damaged…don’t wait up” Lyra grabbed her saddle bags and ran back out the door.