• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 933 Views, 17 Comments

A Nightmare Come True - ShadowSprint



When Nightmare Moon escapes, enters Princess Celestia, and allies herself with the changelings, it will take every able pony in Equestria to bring the dangerous duo and their army down.

  • ...
4
 17
 933

Chapter 6

The afternoon hours had started to fade into the early evening when Twilight and her friends crossed the threshold of the Everfree Forest and finally laid eye upon the crumbling remains of the Castle of the Two Sisters. They’d had to completely leave Canterlot before being able to teleport any closer to the place. It was something Twilight had hoped to do to get into Canterlot, but with the attack from Daybreaker, she was almost positive that the royal guards would have thwarted any such attempt.

“It’s really quiet, Twilight,” Moon Dancer said cautiously, following her friend into the castle. “I-Is it supposed to be this quiet?”

“To be honest, I’m not sure.” Twilight answered, shining her horn as she led the group inside. “I can’t tell if we beat her here or not.”

As the group trotted down the main entrance hall of the ancient castle, Rainbow Dash did soft zig-zags through the air, trying to get a bird’s eye view on any potential ambushes. Fluttershy and Rarity stayed close behind Twilight, while Pinkie Pie and Applejack brought up the rear.

Rarity sighed as they travelled through the old castle. She glanced about the cracks in the walls, the piles of debris that lay scattered across the floor and under her hooves. She looked up at the tattered tapestries she had once attempted to mend. “Out of one pile of rubble and into another.” She complained to herself.

Every-pony suddenly stopped and looked at her. Rarity had been so lost in thought, she hadn’t realized what she’d just said. She smiled sheepishly and said, “S-Sorry.”

“Nothing to apologize for,” Applejack answered softly. “This here mess could just as easily be Canterlot.”

After just leaving Canterlot, it was here that everything started to sink in. The Castle of the Two Sisters once stood tall, and proud. It housed the most powerful ponies in all of Equestria, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. Then, one thousand years ago, Nightmare Moon laid waste to the castle, and to Equestria. Her reign of terror had gone down in history as one of Equestria’s greatest tragedies. Sister against sister; good versus evil.

Twilight whispered to the group, “Let’s go. We don’t have much time.” They followed her in silence. It’s happening again. Twilight thought to herself. The tragedies of legend, things no pony ever thought would be seen again. If we don’t stop Daybreaker now, Equestria could be lost.

Twilight took off into a gallop when she saw the old library ahead, towards the place where she fondly remembered reading through an assortment of books with Spike; where she had found an old journal, and her friends scared to the bone over nothing. The nostalgia brought some tears to her eyes. She didn’t know why she wanted to cry, only that she did.

“Here!” Twilight called out when she arrived at the top of the rickety staircase. “The library’s in here!” Stepping inside, she watched as Moon Dancer immediately went to work, sifting through the books.

“What is it exactly we’re looking for?” Rainbow Dash asked as she fluttered over some of the higher shelves that still stood against the crumbling walls.

Moon Dancer glanced to Twilight, and then back to Rainbow Dash. She was the only pony here with any knowledge of the book. “I don’t have an exact description, but the book won’t have a title, probably won’t list an author either . . . it will probably have a symbol on it though, the dragon’s eye.”

“The dragon’s eye? What in tarnation is that?”

Moon Dancer glanced to Twilight, whom she could tell just be the expression that the young princess knew of the symbol. “It’s an ancient symbol of power. . . and evil.” In the layers of dust and dirt on the floor, Moon Dancer quickly traced the symbol for the others to see. It was an isosceles triangle pointing downward, with the letter “Y” in the middle, connecting the triangle’s three points. “It most likely won’t be out in the open either. King Sombra would’ve wanted the book well hidden.”

“Let’s get searching.” Twilight said and together the girls began tearing apart the library. Under normal circumstances, the carelessness with which every-pony tossed books around would’ve sent Twilight up the wall. At this point however, she found herself tossing books around haphazardly, surely damaging their spines.

Rainbow Dash scurried along the upper shelves, knocking books onto the floor one by one. From titles such as, A Chronological History of the Griffon Wars to, History of Equestria: Before the Equines, Rainbow Dash scattered the books across the floor as she spent fractions of a second glancing at each title. Dodging the rain of paper from above, Applejack searched the lower the shelves. Peeking only when she couldn’t discern the titles, AJ merely skimmed to save time. Nearly being clobbered by a rather thick dictionary, Applejack turned in frustration, “Would ya watch it up there, Rainbow?”

“No time Applejack,” Dash responded, “Gotta keep moving!”

Applejack grunted and went back to work. On the other side of the room, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy tag-teamed on a set of shelves. Fluttershy cautiously tipped books out of their resting places, peeking at the covers before placing them back and grabbing the next one. “Gosh, there’s so many books here. What happens if we don’t find it?”

“We have to Fluttershy.” Twilight said from the far end, going through a separate bookshelf with Moon Dancer.

“What do we do with the book once we find it?” Moon Dancer asked, using her magic to skim through dozens of books at time. “We keep it away from Daybreaker, but after that . . .”

“I don’t know. We’ll have to discuss it with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.” Twilight answered, using the same trick to search through another bookshelf. “Maybe lock it away . . . or destroy it.”

Returning from a smaller room, Rarity said, “Not in here.”

Twilight was about to instruct Rarity on another portion of the library when Rainbow Dash suddenly called out. “Girls! I think I ‘ve got something here!”

Both Twilight and Moon Dancer dropped their piles of books and raced over to Dash’s location. She was up on the top shelf, near the end of a row. Flying up to Dash’s level, Twilight stared into a small compartment in the wall, previously hidden behind a series of encyclopedias. The outline around the compartment was enough to catch Dash’s attention, and a round peephole on the end allowed enough light into the compartment to show that at the very least, it wasn’t empty.

“What is it?” Moon Dancer asked eagerly from below. “Is it the book?”

“I’m not sure.” Twilight said, and using her magic, she thrust open the compartment. Then, without hesitation, Twilight added, “We found it.”

Inside the compartment, red felt softened the walls. The book itself, was bound in a thick, black leather. Golden dragon claws clamped around the corners of the hard cover. In the center, in thick white paint, rested the dragon’s eye symbol that Moon Dancer had drew on the ground only a few minutes prior. Dust had settled over the book, staling the color of the red tipped pages.

Pulling it off its pedestal with her magic, Twilight lowered herself so that Moon Dancer could see it.

All Moon Dancer needed was one glance. “This is it.” She said, and she flipped through the book. Some of the spells had been written in ancient Equestrian, a language all but lost to the sands of time. “So much in here. Twilight, look at this.”

The princess stepped over briefly, her friends also gathering around. “The spells in here . . . are so advanced. Some of them . . .” Moon Dancer said, her eyes widening in horror, “are for torture . . .” Moon Dancer trembled at the thought as she closed the book back up, unable to read anymore. “We can’t let Daybreaker get her hooves on this.”

Twilight, taking the book from her friend, said, “We won’t.” And turning towards the exit, she said, “Let’s get out of here.”

The girls galloped silently out of the castle. Leading the way, Twilight felt sweat trickling down her brow as they rushed down the stairs. Glancing overhead, she saw Rainbow Dash gliding on ahead towards the exit. We’ve got the book. We’ve got the elements. Now to get Moon Dancer to safety and defeat Daybreaker. Twilight thought to herself, mentally checking off the items as they were completed. This nightmare was almost over. She watched as Rainbow Dash did a couple twirls through the air and disappeared through a corridor further down the hall. “Wait up Dash!” Twilight called out to no avail. She didn’t want them being separated.

“Everything alright?” Moon Dancer asked, galloping alongside her friend.

“Yeah . . . it’s just, I’m ready for this all to be over.”

“You and me both.”

Twilight smiled back at her friend. “Yeah, well . . . we couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you, Moon Dancer.”

“No problem. It was kind of nice helping Princess Twilight save the world; if not a bit terrifying. It’ll make a good story though.”

Twilight giggled a bit, “I’ll be happy to dictate parts you may have missed, once we get this all wrapped up of course.” Glancing ahead, Twilight saw they were coming upon the exit, but no Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow Dash!” She called out again, frustrated with her friend’s impatience.

As Twilight and the others exited the castle, they heard Rainbow Dash’s voice. “Stopppp!”

Twilight and the others came to a screeching halt in their galloping when the they saw what Dash was screaming about. The entirety of the castle, and some of its grounds had been incased in a ring of fire. The blaze climbed up over the treetops and closed in around the castle like a dome. The fire, thick with smoke, had ignited some of the bushes and grass pressing up against it.

Twilight pressed the book tightly against her chest as she stared up at the figure hovering over them.

Daybreaker smiled, barring her fangs as she watched the girls. She couldn’t help but let out a laugh as they cowered below. “Well hello there girls.” She said, slowly lowering herself to the ground. Her mane and tail burned with excitement as Rainbow Dash backed away, joining the gang as she grew closer.

“I must say, I do appreciate you all coming down here and retrieving my little book. I would’ve hated to dirty my beautiful little hooves over it.” Letting her hooves touch ground, Daybreaker started walking towards the girls, causing them to instinctively back away, “Hand it over.”

“No.” Twilight said, shaking in fear. “We’ll never let you have it!”

“Oh Princess Twilight,” Daybreaker said mockingly, “I’m afraid it’s already mine.” With a swift movement of her head, Daybreaker fired off a large hot beam of fire from her horn.

With no time to move, Twilight winced her eyes shut. Better the book be destroyed than to fall into that creature’s hooves. When the fire hit, Twilight had expected searing, burning pain, but there was none; only cool air gently brushing against her cheeks. When she opened her eyes, she found Moon Dancer right beside her, emitting a magical barrier to protect them.

“What are you doing spacing out? We have to stop her don’t we” Moon Dancer shouted, looking over to her friend.

“Y-You’re right. I’m sorry Moon Dancer.” Twilight said, “I’m not sure what came over me.” Using her magic to assist, Twilight helped extinguish the beam of fire. She smiled to an angry Daybreaker and said, “We will stop you! And we will rescue Princess Celestia!”

“Try me.” Daybreaker growled and fired another beam, not of fire, but of pure, radiated magic at the girls.

Twilight quickly whipped up a protection spell of her own. When the blast hit, it created a shockwave that shook the grounds. Shingles and sections of rock tumbled away from the remains of the castle. Twilight dug her hooves into the ground as the blast began pushing her backwards, her friends gathering behind her to hold her in place.

Even when Moon Dancer used her magic to assist with stopping the blast, Twilight could feel the beam breaking through. It began to tear at her barrier like paper. She could hear Daybreaker laughing from behind the roar of the magic. I have to get Moon Dancer out of her. Twilight thought to herself. They couldn’t hold this much longer.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie rushed out to the side, and pulling out her party cannon, she fired off an explosion of streamers, confetti, and cloth at Daybreaker. The surprise attack threw Daybreaker off her aim and her beam of magic veered wide off course, ripping through part of the Cast of the Two Sisters, causing an avalanche of stone and other debris.

The girls scattered as Daybreaker herself had to retreat from the collapsing structure. When the dust had finally settled, she quickly realized she’d lost sight of the girls in the confusion. “Princess Twilight!” Daybreaker exclaimed, knowing they still had to be here as her barrier remained, “Show yourself, and hand me that book! It’ll be better for you . . . and your friends, if you do!”

Huddled behind the collapsed castle roof, Twilight held a hoof to her mouth, shushing her friends. “Good work Pinkie!” She whispered. The pink pony saluted her in return, hugging that wonderful little cannon.

“What are we gonna do?” Applejack asked silently, “We can’t hide here forever!”

“I know.” Twilight answered back, stopping as Daybreaker hovered overhead. She watched through cracks as the monster scanned the area for them. It seemed for a minute that Daybreaker saw them through the cracks, but then cursing she entered into the remains of the castle, blasting away at anything that moved.

Looking to Moon Dancer, Twilight quickly said, “Here, take the book.” And she pushed the text up against her friend. Before Moon Dancer could respond, Twilight said, “Get out of here! You have to get this to Princess Luna. We’ll handle Daybreaker.”

“Twilight, I won’t leave you!”

“You have to!” Twilight commanded, “Don’t worry, we have the Elements of Harmony. Once we know you’re safe, we’ll finish this battle off and join you.”

“Twilight!” Daybreaker’s voice screamed from nearby, “Show yourself! I won’t be asking again!”

Twilight turned to Moon Dancer, “I’ll distract her. When you get the chance, you run.” Moon Dancer was about to argue, but Twilight cut her off, “please, you have to do this.”

Moon Dancer finally nodded and Twilight hugged her friend. “Good luck.” She said.

Twilight heard her name again and she rushed out from beneath the rubble. “I’m here Daybreaker! What do you want?” She said.

“You know exactly what I want,” Daybreaker answered through grit teeth.

“I-I lost it during the collapse. I don’t know where it is.”

“You liar,” Daybreaker said, and fired off another hot beam of magic at Twilight. Once again, Twilight created another protective barrier. When the beam hit, she again felt her body being pushed back by the force of the spell. But, she could not allow Daybreaker to win. Feeling sweat dripping down her body from the heat, Twilight groaned as she pushed out more magic, making the orb of energy grow, fanning out towards the edge of the barrier.

Daybreaker watched as Twilight expulsed so much magic. She laughed at the princess’ futile attempt. Then, looking closer, she saw Moon Dancer making a break for it within the bubble, with the book. Daybreaker screamed in anger, and ending her magical beam, she charged down at Moon Dancer. Her hooves lit up with fire and she easily ripped through Twilight’s barrier, the resulting recoil tossing Twilight back into the rubble. “You worthless little ponies think you can run?!” She cried out, watching as Moon Dancer stopped in horror, glancing up at the approaching Daybreaker.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy burst from below, catching the fuming creature. They slammed her into a nearby tree. “Go!” Rainbow Dash cried out, and Moon Dancer, using her magic drew up a protection spell for herself as she exited the fiery dome and ran out of sight.

“NO!” Daybreaker screamed, and she swung a hoof down, tossing Fluttershy to the ground like a rag doll. Rainbow Dash, not going down so easily, held on. Growling, Daybreaker curled up and released a blazing pulse of fire.

When the pulse swept through Rainbow Dash, the Pegasus screamed in pain, the fur on her hooves scorched. She couldn’t hang on and was thrust back down to the earth.

“Rainbow!” Applejack cried out. Rushing to her friend’s aide, Applejack barely managed to get under the falling Pegasus, and somehow caught Rainbow Dash on her back. Her body smoking from the heat, Rainbow Dash struggled to retain consciousness. The pain ripped through her body, and Dash could hardly move.

“T-Thanks,” she muttered to Applejack.

“Yeah . . . well don’t thank me yet!” Applejack called out as she leaped out of the way from a fresh breath of fire.

Twilight flung herself into the air, having had enough of this long-range combat. We have to end this. She thought to herself. Lighting up her horn, Twilight fired off a powerful explosion of magic. Her beam found its mark square on the chest of the distracted Daybreaker. Daybreaker disappeared in an explosion of sparks and fire. A cloud of smoke lingered above as Twilight heard her friends cheering.

“Way to go Twilight!” Rainbow Dash shouted, having finally stepped off Applejack’s back.

“That ought to show her!” Rarity added to the praises.

Pinkie Pie’s party cannon fired off a victorious burst of confetti and Twilight turned on them, “Get your elements ready. We haven’t beaten her yet!”

“She’s right. Come on girls!” Applejack commanded.

Twilight turned towards the cloud of smoke. It had dispersed, revealing an empty sky. Quickly glancing about, Twilight said, “Any-pony see where she went?” Her eyes darted to and from each corner of the fiery barrier that surrounded them.

“Twilight . . .” came Celestia’s faint voice. And it was Celestia’s voice, not Daybreaker’s. “You have to get out of here!” Her voice was dying, growing weaker by the second.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight cried out, flying up higher into the sky, hoping to see where she’d gone. “Where are you?” She screamed, taking in deep breaths.

Silence filled the dome as every-pony glanced around. The voice had not been just in Twilight’s head. They’d all heard it. The looks on her friends’ faces were enough to convince Twilight. She glided over the remains of the castle, searching for any signs of movement. “Keep fighting her Princess Celestia! You can’t give up!” Twilight begged, waiting to hear the princess’ voice again.

“Any-pony see her?”

“No, we haven’t . . .” Applejack started, but stopped as she saw Daybreaker shoot out from behind the castle like a steam engine. “Twilight, watch out!”

But the princess was unable to get out of the way. Daybreaker slammed Twilight into a nearby tree and pressed her face right up against the young mare’s. She laughed in Twilight’s face, watching as her prey uselessly tried to escape. “Oh, how I’ve waited for this day.” Daybreaker hissed. She could hear the princess’ friends yelling from below. “You know I thought I’d made it when I entered that poor little Moon Dancer of yours, but I have to admit, I’m glad you kicked me out. She was by far the weakest pony I’ve seen.”

Struggling under the clutches of Daybreaker, Twilight kicked and squirmed, but Daybreaker’s grip did not loosen. “You’re wrong. She’s incredibly strong. It’s because of her that we found your book. It’s because of her that you’ll be defeated.” Twilight said, “Celestia will . . .”

The mention of that princess’ name infuriated Daybreaker as she used her magic to bounce Twilight’s head against the tree, making her body flail about.

Rainbow Dash cried out as both she and Fluttershy again flew up to Daybreaker. The alicorn had been ready though this time around and quickly flung her head around, firing a beam of magic that sprouted a new wall of flame between them. “Sorry girls, this is private.” She said smiling, “but don’t worry, you’ll get your turn.”

When she turned to again face Twilight, Daybreaker was instead met with blast of magic to her face. She flew back from the impact, crying about as Twilight said, “You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!” Before Daybreaker could fully recoup from the blast, Twilight shouted, “Girls, you know what to do!”

“You betcha!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“I thought you’d never ask!” Rarity chirped in.

“I think we’re all ready for the ole Celestia back!” Applejack shouted.

“Us too!” Pinkie Pie said, grabbing Fluttershy and jumping into the air with the rather surprised Pegasus.

Feeling her tiara starting to glow, Twilight allowed the magical energy to flow about her body. She could feel the magic merging with that of her friends. The energy coursed between them as Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie all hovered into the air with the help of the Elements’ powers. Their bodies glowed in unison as Twilight exclaimed, “Daybreaker! You will terrorize Equestria no more! And you will free Princess Celestia from the hold you have on her.”

“This isn’t the end, Twilight!” Daybreaker cried out. The magic starting to swirl around her. In desperation, she fired off a powerful magical beam of fire at the girls. It disintegrated upon impact. She backed away, cursing them all, “NO! I will not go down like this!! Not when I’m so close!”

A sudden blast of magic from behind blew into Applejack. The force of the impact flung her across the grounds and into some shrubbery below. The girls stopped as their magic from the elements vanished, and Pinkie Pie and Rarity fell back to the ground with a hard thump. Twilight stared in shock as Applejack’s body slumped against a tree, motionless. She turned furiously to the source of the blast and opened her mouth in shock, “No! It can’t be.”

“Oh, but it is.” Queen Chrysalis laughed, her body swaying from side to side as she closed the gap between the girls. “And that’s not all.” Using her magic, Chrysalis pulled something out from behind her, a book. It was a very familiar book. It was the book that Moon Dancer had ran off with a short while ago.

“How did you . . .?”

“Get this?” Chrysalis mockingly asked, “Why, a sweet little pony just happened to be running off with it. She was very kind in handing it over.” Then Chrysalis stopped, and licked her lips as she added, “mmmm and her love for her friends was exceptionally delicious.”

“Moon Dancer . . .” Twilight whispered. Shaking with anger, Twilight charged Queen Chrysalis. It was a stupid idea. She knew it. Her friends knew it as they screamed at her; but she could take no more. Her horn glowed in fury, her eyes lowered as Twilight charged full force at the queen of the changelings.

Queen Chrysalis smiled, licking her lips as she tracked Twilight’s movements. Narrowing her eyes, Chrysalis stepped out of the way at the last second, using her magic to uppercut Twilight with the book. The impact flung Twilight briefly into the air. She landed with a crack onto her back. Stepping over Twilight, Chrysalis pined the princess’ front hooves to the ground. “After all this time, is that what you’ve got left?” She asked mockingly.

“Chrysalis!” Daybreaker shouted impatiently. When the queen glanced up, Daybreaker held out a hoof, “The book!”

Rolling her eyes, Chrysalis muttered, “As you wish.” And using her magic, tossed the book up to Daybreaker.

Daybreaker caught the book, but her body shifted as Celestia fought for control. “Twilight . . .” her voice seeped through the evil entity, “the elements . . . the elements can still . . .” and then as quickly as it had come, Celestia was gone again. Daybreaker had regained control as she pressed a hoof to her head, wincing in pain. “That’s just about enough out of you!” She growled. Then opening up the book, she began to read aloud a spell.

No. Twilight thought to herself. This can’t be happening. She tried to struggle out from Chrysalis’ grasp, but the queen held her down tight.

Daybreaker’s voice echoed over the grounds as a dark cloud began to form overhead, swirling around the possessed princess. “Thou which hast no body, but only spirit. Grant thou dominion over thy mind and body.” As she spoke, a foul wind spun up around Daybreaker. It came from all directions, extinguishing the fiery dome that had surrounded the girls. Rumbles of thunder lit up the growing clouds, and even Chrysalis gazed up at the spectacle above.

“Put to rest that which resides within. Pull from thine magic, from thine life force, and present unto me that which I may nurture, wield, and own. For this I beseech you, oh great majesties of Equestria.”

The spell finished, a lightning bolt struck down onto Daybreaker, lighting up the sky with a bloody violet streak. Striking through her body, the ground collapsed into a pit where the bolt touched down. Daybreaker cried out as the book vanished from her hooves. Even Chrysalis stepped off Twilight and backed away from the scene as the black clouds funneled down into Daybreaker, engulfing her.

Tears streaming down her face, Twilight rolled onto her hooves and rushed over to her friends. “Are you okay?!” She cried out, pressing against Applejack and the others. “Is any pony hurt?”

“We’re fine Twilight.” Rarity said, as Applejack was still quite weak. “What about you . . .”

“I’m okay. I’m okay.” Twilight said, not even waiting for Rarity to finish. “We have to hurry. We can still stop this.”

A silence slowly crept into the air as the storm faded away. Daybreaker, hovering in bright golden armor came down upon the girls. “You’d be wise to surrender Twilight. It’s over.” She said, barring a sadistic smile. “Celestia will no longer get in my way. I can’t even feel her inside me anymore. It’s like she’s gone.”

Daybreaker threw her head back and laughed. Quickly taking advantage, Twilight shut her eyes and with all her magic, fired a raging blast of energy at Daybreaker. The hot beam almost burning her horn with its intensity.

Not batting an eye, Daybreaker swung her wing at the magic. Easily deflecting Twilight’s beam, she sent it hurtling back into the castle ruins. The following explosion caused the rest of the castle to collapse into itself. A loud roar of rock smashing against stone shook the ground, lifting clouds of dust into the air.

“My turn.” She said. Her horn glowed, fire spiraled up the horn like a snake. When it had reached the tip, Daybreaker tossed her head back and shot a blast of liquid fire onto the girls.

Quickly, Twilight used her magic to create a barrier around her and her friends. She cried out as the magma-like fire consumed her barrier. Panting under the heat, she glanced to her friends, seeing them sweating and losing air under the fire. Applejack especially was under stress. We’re not dying here. Twilight said to herself and closing her eyes, she grit her teeth and taking in a deep breath, pushed all of the magic she had into pushing Daybreaker’s attack away. To Twilight’s surprise, it worked. The fire dissipated and her lungs filled with fresh air.

Seeing her enemy was just as shocked as herself that it had worked, Twilight quickly fired another shot of magic towards Daybreaker. The possessed pony returned fire with her own blast of magic. Their beams met somewhere in-between, sparking and crackling, pushing against each other. The strain on Twilight was so great, she could feel herself being pushed back.

Twilight fought back tears she dug her hooves into the ground. This wasn’t over. She wasn’t going to let this be over. There was still time. We can still save Princess Celestia. We still have the Elements of Harmony. Twilight consoled herself. She gulped, releasing a moan as Daybreaker’s magic pressed down closer to her.

Stepping in, Rarity fired as much magic as she could to help Twilight. “You’re not doing this alone.” She said, and Twilight smiled, blinking out the tears as they both worked to push Daybreaker’s magic back onto her. With their friends cheering, Twilight and Rarity could feel their combined efforts working. They could hear Daybreaker’s curses as their magic grew closer to blowing her out of the sky.

Suddenly, something changed. The force of magic they were fighting doubled and Twilight and Rarity suddenly felt the energy slowly slipping down back at them. “W-What’s going on?” Twilight asked under the sparks.

“You girls weren’t really going to forget about me, were you?” Queen Chrysalis cried out. Her magic mixed with Daybreaker’s and thrusted down against the ponies.

Twilight looked up at hearing the queen’s voice. She saw her and Rarity’s magic weakening under the additional pressure. This wasn’t going to work. She knew it. Glancing to Rarity, Twilight said, “I’m sorry Rarity,” and before her friend could respond, Twilight shoved the unicorn out of the way. With her spell broken, Daybreaker’s and Chrysalis’ magic fell upon Twilight in an explosion of magical energy. Her body was tossed through the air, landing thirty feet away from her friends.

“Twilight!” they collectively yelled, but before they could get there, Chrysalis had landed next to the princess.

Glancing down at her fallen enemy, Chrysalis gazed down at the golden tiara which had rolled off Twilight’s head. She smiled, lifting it up with her magic. The Element of Magic fizzled at being touched by Chrysalis’ magic, but she only laughed as she said, “It looks as though Equestria will have a new princess; one who is far more deserving of the royal title.”

Landing next to Chrysalis, Daybreaker smiled as Twilight rolled over in pain, squinting her eyes open. “Well, well, well princess; look what has happened to you.” She said, and leaning in, Daybreaker whispered to Twilight, “Now I know what you’re thinking Twilight Sparkle, oh yes I do. You’re thinking if you can get your Element of Harmony back, maybe you can still win. Or, perhaps you’ll run back into that castle and retrieve that mischievous little book that caused all of this.” Daybreaker tilted her head back a bit and muttered something unintelligible. Suddenly, the book reappeared right before her.

“You . . . you know the spell? H-How?”

Daybreaker couldn’t help but smile as she nodded her head. “Yes Twilight, I know the spell.” Then, with a quick glance to the book, Daybreaker used her magic and engulfed it in flames. She laughed as she threw the smoldering pile of ash onto the ground next to Twilight. Then, igniting her horn for one final blast of magic, Daybreaker said with some pleasure, “And now Twilight Sparkle, it’s your turn.”

A sudden blast from behind got the attention of both Chrysalis and Daybreaker. They turned, and found Princess Luna rushing them with a squad of guards. Though Luna’s legs were still damaged and bruised, she managed to lead her small army by air. “The girls!” She cried out to the guards below her, “Get them out of here!”

Luna’s heart broke at seeing the state of Twilight and her friends. She should have come here sooner. She should have never let Twilight and the others go without her. They were even missing one. Moon Dancer was long since gone from the group. This is my fault. All of it. Luna allowed a single tear to drop from her eyes before quickly firing a blast of magic to chase away Daybreaker and Chrysalis. “Hurry!” She cried to her guards.

Twilight glanced up in surprise at the sudden rescue. She stared over at her friends who were already being swept away by fifteen or so earth ponies. Then glancing up, she stared into the eyes of her own rescuer. “Shining Armor?!”

“Come on Twilight! Let’s get you out of here!” Her brother said, and he lifted her onto his shoulders. He knew he didn’t have much time as he could hear Luna battling both Chrysalis and Daybreaker overhead.

Once Shining Armor had his sister in tow, he turned to his guards and shouted, “All units retreat to Ponyville!”

As quickly as they had arrived the soldiers made for the forest, leaving Luna behind. When Twilight saw this, she struggled against her brother. “W-Wait! We have to go back! We can help Luna!” Though she struggled, her body was weak, and Twilight found herself drifting in and out of consciousness as she squirmed.

A sudden explosion rocked the ground they galloped on and when Twilight glanced back at the fading battle, she only managed a glimpse of Chrysalis sucking out Luna’s love. “L-Luna . . .” Twilight called out, her body starting to go limp.

Twilight blinked, her vision getting hazy. She tried to yell at her brother, to command him to go back. But her voice wouldn’t come. She reached out towards Luna, but the princess was now gone. Even Chrysalis and Daybreaker had vanished. “Please Shining Armor . . .” Twilight whispered, her eyes growing heavy. “We have to . . .” But she never finished her sentence. She passed out from both fatigue and injury as Shining Armor and his squad carried Twilight and her friends to the safety of Ponyville.