• Published 11th Dec 2017
  • 933 Views, 17 Comments

A Nightmare Come True - ShadowSprint



When Nightmare Moon escapes, enters Princess Celestia, and allies herself with the changelings, it will take every able pony in Equestria to bring the dangerous duo and their army down.

  • ...
4
 17
 933

Chapter 14

Starlight Glimmer sat in the head house of her village, the same house in the same village that she’d been in charge of so long ago. Her time deceiving all these ponies felt so far off in the past, yet everything in this house was just as it had been when she last lived here. Now, Starlight worried not about the cutie marks of the village’s inhabitants, but of their safety.

Starlight had received Twilight’s letter describing in detail the devastation and loss of ponies that occurred amongst the skies of Cloudsdale. Just reading over the princess’ words sent shivers through her body. Somehow, the changelings she’d helped reformed were back, and there were more of them.

Ponyville was lucky in having a barrier from the captain of the royal guard to protect it. Starlight’s village on the other hoof, had no such thing. She monitored the village herself, frequently teleporting from one end to the other, wanting to know of every creature that passed on through. Being only a hop and a skip away from the Crystal Empire, Starlight knew that her village would be a mere pit stop for the changelings, should they choose to wander north.

“But none of that explains what I’ve seen.” Starlight said to herself as she carefully chose the words for her warning to Ponyville.

On more than one occasion, Starlight caught glimpses of shadow-like figures gliding overhead towards the Crystal Empire. Each time they passed, they left a black, misty residue in the air. It fell like snow, but stuck to the fur like talc. It reminded her of black ash from a frothing volcano she’d once visited.

“Twilight,” Starlight Glimmer whispered the words to herself as she wrote them, “I’m afraid we are being watched up here, or that some-pony is watching the Crystal Empire. We have yet to experience any form of an attack, but I’m worried that something could happen soon.”

From outside her door, Starlight heard the chaotic pattering of hooves. What’s going on? With one quick glance out the window, Starlight spotted smoke drifting past along with the distinct crackling of a burning fire.

Her heart leaping out of her chest, Starlight rushed towards the door, already preparing a spell to put out the blaze. Before she could reach the door, Party Favor burst on through, his eyes bulging wide with panic. Sweat poured down the unicorn’s brow and he galloped over to the mare. “Starlight! You have come quick! Something’s attacking us! They’re going after the villagers!”

“What?!” Starlight’s heart raced as she chased Party Favor out of her house. Once outside, the unicorn stopped in horror as several of the ash-like ponies flew over the town, firing blasts of magic onto the houses. “A-Alicorns? But how?” Starlight gasped, and then noticed the creatures had no eyes, or mouths. Yet somehow, they could see, and when their magic burst forth from their horns, it ignited everything in its path, sending cottages up in flame.

“Party Favor! Help get every-pony away from the street!” and Starlight Glimmer raced out, teleporting to the nearest house. She quickly went to work extinguishing the billowing flames that had sprouted from its walls. Bucking down the doors, she grabbed the trapped ponies from inside with her magic and tossed them outside. “Find cover!” She shouted and hurried along to the next house.

As Starlight galloped, she stopped in her tracks when one of the faceless figures hovered down, blocking her path. It stared into her, despite having no eyes. Specks of ash flaked off its body, and Starlight could make out thin veins pumping lava-like blood over its flesh, giving the creature an eerie glow. With the thing standing as tall as Celestia, it bucked back on its hind legs and shot a beam of magic at Starlight.

Quickly conjuring up a small barrier, the blast of magic exploded against Starlight’s protective shield. The force of the blast still managed to send the unicorn tumbling back several feet. She looked up just in time to see the creature standing over her, its magic powering up for another shot.

“Starlight!” Double Diamond shouted from somewhere and leaped at the monster to tackle it.

The unicorn dropped her mouth open in shock when the earth pony rolled right through the creature. His white coat of fur now stained with puffs of black, he looked up in equal shock as the thing turned towards him and fired its magic at its new target.

Starlight barely made it in time to deflect the creature’s shot. After lowering her own barrier, Starlight Glimmer quickly fired off her own blast of magic at the monster, but it only travelled on through the thing’s body. “W-What in the name of Celestia . . . How do we fight this?!”

With shadows passing on overhead, Starlight saw three more of the beasts spraying her village with fire. She had to shove Double Diamond out of the way just to keep him from getting hit. This of course forced Starlight back out into the middle of the street.

A new set of hooves tapped against the earth towards, creating a soft clicking noise that grew louder as they neared. An almost metallic sound, the light armor clicked and clacked at each step. When Starlight looked over to the pony making them, she found the all-too familiar white alicorn, with fire for a mane and tail. The alicorn that she’d seen only once before in her life, in a nightmare. Daybreaker, stepped through the burning village, admiring the work of her monsters.

“Well, well, well, so you’re Starlight Glimmer,” She said, her head held high as she spoke. “You’re the unicorn I’ve heard so much about.”

Starlight backed away from Daybreaker, deciding on whether or not she should run. “W-What do you want? No pony is hurting you here!”

Daybreaker merely chuckled at the mare’s question. She stepped closer to Starlight, until her figure towered over the unicorn. Her mane snapped at the mare’s nose, causing the unicorn to fall onto her back. Daybreaker delighted in the terror that filled the little pony’s eyes. “Why, I want you Starlight. All this I’ve done, I’ve done just to get you.”

Starlight couldn’t comprehend what was said. Why her? What had she done . . .? But there was no time to dwell on the question. A nearby scream and the unicorn could see yet another family trapped behind a wall of flames. Starlight stood up to rescue her villagers, but Daybreaker stepped in front of her, blocking the mare’s path with an evil grin spread across her face. Determined not give up, Starlight used her magic and teleported into the burning building. Smoke and burning ash filled her lungs, causing the pony to cough and gag. With the heat making her sweat, she quickly grabbed hold of the ponies inside and teleported them out to safety.

“Get out of here!” Starlight screamed at them, and the small family took off in terror as Daybreaker stepped up behind the unicorn.

“Bravo Starlight. Bravo.” She said, “But . . .” and Daybreaker turned her attention to several of her Sun Flares, who held both Party Favor and Double Diamond prisoner with their magic. “You can’t save every-pony. A lesson Twilight is learning the hard way.”

“No,” Starlight whispered, and turned angrily to the alicorn, her body shaking in both anger and fear. “What do you want with them? You said you came here for me!”

At this, Daybreaker could no longer contain herself and burst out into laughter. Her mane sizzled and popped from the excitement that blazed through her body. Her cackling carried and mingled with the flames, letting it run its course until it quieted into an unsettling snicker. “I did come here for you. But, they make for good insurance, wouldn’t you agree? Now . . .” and Daybreaker used this opportunity to size up the unicorn, “you’re Twilight’s pupil; her first if I’m not mistaken.”

Starlight merely eyed the alicorn, waiting for a chance to escape. “I’m sure she has taught you much in the ways of friendship. Of course, such lessons will only take a unicorn like yourself so far. I know you’re quite powerful . . .”

“I’m not interested.” Starlight interjected.

Daybreaker looked at the unicorn, pondering on whether or not to pry further. Shrugging her shoulders, she eventually relented. “Very well.” And turning to her Sun Flares, she said, “Kill them.”

“No!” Starlight screamed, and quickly teleported both Double Diamond and Party Favor out of the monsters’ grasps. The two ponies fled, leaving Starlight along with Daybreaker. “Now, what do you want with me?” She asked.

“Unfortunately, I’m really just running an errand. Can you believe it? A ruler such as myself running an errand for a self-proclaimed queen. Apparently, Chrysalis has her eyes set on you.” Daybreaker watched the realization slowly spread over Starlight’s face. “She’s a little sore over what transpired when you last met.”

“I-I reformed her changelings, took away her army.” Starlight explained.

“Mmmm yes you did. And with Chrysalis putting all her attention on Ponyville, she regrettably couldn’t make it here herself. But don’t worry, I’ll make sure you two have the happiest of reunions.”

When Daybreaker burst out into another fit of laughter, Starlight Glimmer took immediate action. In the blink of an eye, the unicorn teleported away from the alicorn. Twilight needed to know about the shadowy creatures that destroyed her village. Perhaps, with Twilight being more familiar with Nightmare Moon, knew of a way to defeat the ghostly figures.

With her teleportation spell bouncing the unicorn out of danger, she took one look at her surroundings and began to sweat. Something had gone wrong. Starlight intended to teleport directly into Ponyville, but it hadn’t worked. She was back inside her house. There on the table was the letter she’d started writing. “What the . . .”

The door burst open from behind Starlight and she whirled around in in time to see Daybreaker stepping into the house. “Oh please Starlight, I’m not that stupid. I know precisely how powerful you are. And your pathetic escape attempts are futile.”

Starlight backed herself up against the table, secretively using her magic to finish a few sentences on the letter behind her. To keep Daybreaker from suspecting her, Starlight used a flash spell to momentarily blind the alicorn. In that split second, she teleported her letter outside of the building, hoping it to reach one of the ponies outside. She unfortunately didn’t have time to send it directly to the princess.

When the smoke settled, Daybreaker pressed her face up against Starlight’s muzzle. “Is that the best you’ve got Starlight? I’m beginning to wonder if you really did stop Chrysalis, or just took all the credit!”

“W-Well . . . it’s not like Chrysalis is very smart.” Starlight stalled.

A smile spread across the evil alicorn’s face. She couldn’t help but chuckle at the comment. “I couldn’t agree more! But . . . you’re not really any better, are you Starlight Glimmer?”

And before Starlight could respond, Daybreaker used a powerful beam of magic on the unicorn. The spell wrapped around Starlight, and encased her in stone. Her terrified expression imprinted forever on her face, Daybreaker laughed at the whimsy of it all. “You’ll make a fine centerpiece for Chrysalis.” She said, stroking a hoof over the hardened mane of the unicorn. “It’s shame though. You could’ve made such wonderful student.”

Then willing her Sun Flares to leave, Daybreaker left the small village smoldering to ash, taking her trophy with her, back to Canterlot.


Party Favor stumbled out from behind some of the burning buildings. He’d managed to avoid the ghostly monsters and Daybreaker after he’d been released. Double Diamond on the other hoof, was nowhere to be seen.

Quickly galloping through the village, the pony searched each of the houses for survivors, but found none. A few bodies, the sights of which, broke his heart. Many of these ponies he’d known for years. His only consolation, was that at least most of the villagers appeared to have escaped. Starlight Glimmer though, he’d found her house empty when he did finally search it.

“W-What now?” He asked himself, stepping outside Starlight’s house. “What should I do?”

His whole livelihood demolished in the blink of an eye, where would he go? Party Favor stumbled out through the village, head hanging low. He should warn some-pony . . . but who? And what would he tell them?

As the unicorn walked, he noticed a piece of paper blowing against the soft wind. It was caught under a rock, and looked to have some writing on it. Curious, Party Favor stepped over it and freeing the paper, he skimmed over the lines. “Starlight . . . she was trying to contact Twilight . . . I have to get this to her!”

Packing away the letter, Party Favor galloped off towards Ponyville, and Princess Twilight Sparkle.


“Thank you so much Spike for sticking around to help.” Rarity said, hugging her wonderful little dragon friend.

Spike blushed, happy to help in any way that he could. If it happened to be Rarity though, all the more reason to give a helping claw.

With things having slowed down after the initial rush of patients from the Cloudsdale fiasco, Rarity could barely keep up with the doctors’ orders. Her hooves covered in dried, flaking blood after having performed surgery after surgery. Even with all the intensive care patients being taken care of, Rarity’s legs still trembled from the anxiety at having to care for the soldiers. She could still see the faces of the soldiers she operated on. Their shrieks of pain due to limited anesthetic and the stuttering movement of their dilated pupils, Rarity shuddered as she grabbed another bag of ice. It’d kept her up for hours into the night. She knew the soldiers had it worse than, her, knew they were the ones that had fought so hard for the ponies up there. But that knowledge still didn’t make things easier to deal with.

Twilight too, Rarity remembered the anguish in the pony’s eyes when she saw just what she had done.

“Place this over Dash’s forehead, will you Spike?”

“Sure thing Rarity!” Spike said, and taking the ice pack over to the Wonderbolt, pressed it firmly against her forehead.

Dash groaned and shuffled under her covers. She’d mainly suffered from fatigue, but also required bandages around her sides from cuts and slivers of broken glass being lodged inside her. The pegasus was also lucky in that she had been so knocked out, she didn’t require any drugs. Good thing too, the doctors eventually had to limit its use to only the ponies under extreme distress. Apparently, the hospital hadn’t been stocked up with a large amount, as they hadn’t anticipated a surge of patients of this magnitude.

“How is she?” Rarity asked, stepping up to Spike’s side when she saw her friend mumbling in bed.

Before Spike could respond, Rainbow Dash’s eyes slowly opened up. She grumbled in pain from the soreness around her abdomen. “W-What happened?” She asked groggily.

“You carried Derpy and Scootaloo back by yourself. Then you collapsed in front of Twilight.” Spike explained.

“We were all so worried about you . . . well, all of you.” Rarity said, turning to glance at the two Dash had rescued. Scootaloo was only resting. She’d fortunately avoided any serious injury. Derpy on the other hoof, was in a bit more serious condition. The pony had been given antibiotics and even some chocolate to help regain her strength from the love that the changelings sucked out. For the first several hours after her arrival, they had the pony breathing with a respirator, not knowing if she’d ever come back. It’d broken Rarity’s heart to have to watch Derpy fight for her life alone. No-pony had the time to sit next to her, and hold her hoof. That also didn’t account for her broken wing. It’d practically been snapped like a twig and required extensive surgery just to repair it.

“W-What about Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Spike offered Dash an apple from a basket overflowing with them. The pony gratefully took one from the batch and chowed down on it. The food instantly revitalizing the pony to a surprising extent. She didn’t realize just how hungry she was until she started eating.

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this Rainbow Dash,” Rarity began, “but . . . Fluttershy never came back. Twilight had ponies watching for her, in case she was running late . . .” Her voice trailed off, and one look into Dash’s eyes and Rarity knew that her friend understood.

Dash scowled at the apple she’d taken. Here she was enjoying a delicious piece of fruit from Sweet Apple Acres, and Fluttershy in all likelihood, had become a meal herself. I tried. I tried as hard as could. Why was it not enough? Dash thought to herself. It angered her, infuriated her, that she had failed. Fluttershy must have gotten ambushed. How did Dash not see that before leaving her?

Throwing the apple to ground, the pegasus picked herself out of bed, almost spiraling to the floor with her wings stiffer than a log.

“Dash, just where are you going? You still need to be . . .”

“I’m fine Rarity!” Dash shot back. She trembled in both boiling anger, and suffocating despair. “And that’s the problem! I’m fine . . . and Fluttershy’s not. I-I can only imagine what’s happening to her. I was supposed to protect her . . .” Dash’s voice cracked up and she had to land to prevent herself from colliding with her own hospital bed.

Rarity took this opportunity to bury her friend in a hug. “I know Dashie. I know. But we’ve all got to be strong. Twilight’s doing what she can to . . .”

Rainbow Dash pulled out of the hug and just looked at Rarity with a stare that screamed, “are you kidding me?!” and then hobbled on out of Town Hall.

“Where are you going?” Spike hollered after her, but the pegasus was already gone.

Spike and Rarity could only look at each other in surprise. Guess Dash’s reaction wasn’t really all that shocking. She’d been training probably harder than any other pony out there. Everything she looked to achieve, Dash always gave 120% in.

“We never should’ve gone . . .” Spike mumbled.

“. . . It is starting to seem that way . . .”

Suddenly the combined racket of a harmonica, an accordion, a set of drums, and several other instruments echoed through the hall, waking a number of the patients. Both Rarity and Spike turned to face the source of the blaring nonsense.

Wearing the most ridiculous combination of flippers, wrapping paper, and clown make-up, Pinkie Pie cavorted into the hall, creating enough noise to crack the crystals in the Crystal Empire.

“Pinkie Pie, just what in Celestia’s name are you doing?”

Pinkie smiled at Rarity, sounding off one of her trademark and copyrighted giggles. “Oh Rarity, I couldn’t just sit around knowing you’d be here with Spike! Soooo, I thought I’d come, play some music, share some balloons, and cheer up every-pony here!”

“Yes, but Pinkie, making so much noise could . . .”

But Rarity stopped when Spike poke her side. She turned to see what the dragon wanted, and noticed several of the wounded sitting up, with curious gazes falling onto the wild party pony. Some even smiled at Pinkie’s fashion sense that resembled something more of a possessed birthday present.

“I suppose the colts and mares here could use some cheering up . . .” And before Pinkie could jump the several feet that her springy tail teased, Rarity quickly added, “But please keep it down. Some of the more seriously injured need their rest.”

Pinkie glanced over, seeing a number of soldiers, including Derpy, curled up and breathing heavily. Pinkie had to fight to keep the smile on her face when her eyes fell upon the poor pegasus. It reminded her too much of her own family, and how they could be equally injured, or worse. She just couldn’t think about them now. She had to stay positive, for every-pony.

“I Pinkie Promise not to wake them up!” Pinkie said.

Rarity stepped aside with Spike and watched as Pinkie began her mesmerizing tune of talent, and tomfoolery. Spike for one, was quite impressed with Pinkie’s ability to bounce back like this. It hadn’t been all that long ago that he visited her in her room, and seen Pinkie in the most painful state.

“I’m glad at least one of us can continue to smile,” Rarity said, taking a seat besides Spike. “I never realized how much they needed this.”

Spike agreed, watching as Pinkie tripped over one of her own streamers, which sent a pie into the air and back down onto her face. Where Pinkie had gotten a pie, no-pony knew. Then again, sometimes they were better off not knowing. Still, the crowd loved her little performance in the aisle and a few pegasi even clapped along to her whimsies.

Even Scootaloo had woken from her sleep, and watched Pinkie with the same innocent eyes that any filly would’ve worn before all hell had broken loose.

Pulling himself up, Spike walked over to Scootaloo, tiptoeing past the little mess Pinkie had created for herself. “How’re you feeling?” He asked the little pegasus. “You must’ve been through a lot.”

Scootaloo nodded, the faint smile falling from her face as she turned her attention away from the dancing pony. “Did Derpy and Dash make it back?”

“Yep. Dash is out helping with the army. And Derpy . . .” and at the mention of the pony’s name, Spike glanced over at the bed in which Derpy slept. Even with all the commotion, she barely stirred. “She was in really bad shape when you girls arrived.”

“But, she’ll be alright, won’t she?”

“Of course, she will. Rarity and the nurses here are doing everything they can for her,” Spike assured. “What about you? There must’ve been so many changelings up there.”

Scootaloo nodded. She gulped, remembering everything that she had witnessed while in Cloudsdale. It was all so clear in her head as she spoke. As if Scootaloo could look out a window, and see it happening again, she said, “I didn’t see a lot of changelings until Rainbow Dash rescued me. But . . . there was something else there too Spike.”

When Spike saw the fear spreading over the little pony’s face, he motioned for Rarity to join him in case Scoots needed calming down. Spike placed a hand on the foal’s shoulder, helping to stop her from shaking.

When Scootaloo saw Rarity arrive at her bedside, she said to them both in a low whisper, “There was something else in Cloudsdale . . . before the changelings arrived. Princess Celestia . . .”

“Daybreaker . . .” Rarity whispered at the mention of Celestia’s name. It wasn’t so much a correction as a realization.

Scootaloo, understanding the name, nodded and continued, “She brought these t-things with her. They were alicorns . . . I think . . . except they had no faces, no eyes.”

Spike saw the life drain out of Rarity. The dragon only assumed to have the same look of shock and terror spread over his own face. “What were they?”

“I don’t know. But . . .Daybreaker controlled them. She used them to attack Cloudsdale, and round up all the pegasi there. I managed to hide from them, but . . .”

“It’s okay dear. Everything’s alright,” Rarity soothed.

“Then all of a sudden they were gone. Just disappeared. I don’t know where they went to . . . but then, it wasn’t long and the changelings came.”

Spike knew from the look Rarity gave him, that stern, pressing gaze. He knew exactly what he needed to do. Twilight had to hear this, now. “Can you look after her, Rarity?”

“It’s my job. You get going.”

Thanking Rarity, Spike hurried out of Town Hall, and into the gaze of the changelings probing the barrier from above.


“We need to get over there, and rescue Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, pacing back and forth inside the map room of Twilight’s castle. She watched with both Applejack and Brawny Hoof as the pony struggled to stay calm. “It was stupid of us to go up to Cloudsdale!”

“Now hold yer horses there Rainbow, Twilight’s doing everythang she can to keep every-pony here safe from them critters.”

“So what? We just forget about Fluttershy! Abandon her?!” Dash had leapt up into the air, hovering over them in disgust. “I warned you this would happen!” She cried, pointing a hoof at Twilight, “I told you Fluttershy and Derpy shouldn’t go up there!”

Twilight had no response for the Wonderbolt. Rainbow Dash was right. “I’m so sorry Rainbow Dash. I never expected things to turn out like this. And I haven’t forgotten about Fluttershy . . . believe me I could never forget about her. She’s my friend. But there’s just nothing we can do right now.”

“Come on now, what’s happened has happened. We shouldn’t fight over it neither.” Applejack stepped up to the princess’ side, offering her support. At the same time though, Applejack’s heart tightened at the loss of one of their friends. Even now, she still hardly believed it. “If we’re gonna ever rescue Fluttershy . . . and the others, we can’t be squabbling like this.”

“But who knows what they’re doing to her?! What if we wait too long and the changelings just eat her up? What then?” Rainbow Dash shook her head. Even with the loss of Fluttershy, she figured that at least there’d be immediate plans to get her back. Not this, never this! “If we don’t act now, then it might be too late!”

“Now stop it Rainbow Dash!” Applejack shouted, her temper getting the better of her. “This ain’t helping no-pony! And you don’t talk about Fluttershy like that! She’s tough! She’ll make it!” Applejack shook in anger not so much at what Dash said, but at knowing that the pegasus could be right.

As Applejack and Rainbow Dash bickered, Twilight couldn’t help but step back. She wished to calm them down, to set them straight and return the girls to their light-hearted competitive nature. But she couldn’t. She didn’t have it in her.

“This has gone on quite long enough,” Brawny said stepping in. He glanced from Twilight then back to the two girls who abruptly stopped when he’d spoken. “The castle is no place to be arguing over such nonsense.”

Dash still hadn’t calmed down and turned her anger towards the soldier. “You think Fluttershy is nonsense?!”

Brawny hardened his stare. “I think Princess Twilight requires the support that she deserves from you to look after every-pony in Ponyville. She can’t afford to worry only about her friends. I’m sorry about Fluttershy, but there’s other ponies to worry about right now. We need to focus on them.”

Rainbow Dash landed in shock at the words that came from the soldier’s mouth. She expected Twilight to step out, and reprimand Brawny for what he said. Her mouth dropped when all Twilight did was nod in agreement. The violet alicorn wouldn’t even look at her. Even Applejack was taken aback by the soldier’s statements.

“B-Brawny’s right,” Twilight said, stepping to her friends. She fought to control her emotions as she looked her friends in the eye. “We can’t help Fluttershy right now, so lets focusing on the ponies that we can help. Besides, I don’t think anything’ll happen to her. Daybreaker and Chrysalis will probably keep her as a bargaining chip.”

“Fine,” Rainbow Dash grumbled. “G-Guess I’ll just go back to Captain Shining Armor for my next assignment.” With that, Dash flew out of the castle.

Twilight released a long sigh, collapsing onto the floor. She turned to Applejack, who stood awkwardly in the room alongside her guard. “S-Sorry Applejack. I didn’t mean for all this to happen. I was only trying to do what I thought was best.”

“Of course ya did Twilight. That’s why you’re princess. Because you know this stuff better than any of us.” Grabbing an apple from the basket she’d brought, Applejack handed over the apple. “Don’t worry. We’ll get Fluttershy back. I promise.”

Taking the apple, Twilight bit into it, enjoying the juicy crunchiness of the golden delicious fruit. “Thanks Applejack.”

Tossing one over to Brawny, Applejack said, “and here, you might as well take one too. Can’t have no royal guards working on an empty stomach now, can we?”

Brawny smiled at the pony’s offer, and deciding he’d better take the apple, accepted it and bit into the fruit. “Thank you. Gotta be a lot of work picking these apples,” He said, biting into the apple. Of course, it just didn’t have the same taste or texture that the love from other ponies had, but deciding it was edible, he finished it off to satisfy the mare.

“Naw, it ain’t much really. You ponies need the food, and my farm’s got plenty to go around.”

“How are things on the farm?” Twilight asked, grateful for the topic change. “I was surprised you made it in with all the changelings surrounding Ponyville.”

“Those critters ain’t no picnic to deal with either. But there’s a good chunk of Ponyville near my farm where those changelings aren’t bothering. So I’ve been entering in from there.”

Relieved, Twilight said, “That’s good to hear. With you bringing in food for us, it’s one less thing to worry about. But if anything would happen, bring your family in right away. We don’t want to lose any of you.”

“I know. But generations of Apples were raised on that farm. We ain’t going nowhere.”

Before Twilight could respond, the doors opened up with Spike rushing through. He waved at both Brawny and Applejack, not taking a moment to stop, a scroll of paper clenched tightly in his hand.

“S-Spike . . . what’s wrong?” Twilight asked.

The dragon, taking a moment to catch his breath, eventually said, “I was on my way over here . . . when I got a message from Princess Cadence. She’s sending soldiers for backup.”

“She is?!” Both Twilight and Applejack responded in the same manner. How could Cadence ensure the safety of her soldiers? How could Shining Armor guarantee the identity of those coming over? “But how? We won’t be able to . . .”

Stuffing the letter in Twilight’s face, the princess eventually grabbed it with her magic for review. “They’re coming on the Friendship Express. And . . . it looks like each soldier has been given a secret code for identification.” Twilight pondered over the potential problems that could arise from the sudden shipment.

“Well that’s great!” Applejack exclaimed, “Maybe with them extra set of hooves, we’ll have more time for finding Fluttershy!”

“Possibly,” Twilight carefully said, “But the problem is we can’t guarantee their safety until they arrive. If the changelings try and attack the train, those soldiers are sitting ducks.”

Tremor looked around over the ponies and the dragon. His Brawny disguise had brought more valuable information to Chrysalis’ goal than he’d ever thought possible. “Might I suggest then,” the changeling began, “that knowledge of this information doesn’t leave the room. With the exception of the captain who will of course need to know for making preparations, we should keep this information to ourselves.”

“That’s not a bad idea.” Twilight said, to the agreement of the others. “Spike, take that message directly to Captain Shining Armor.”

“Okay. But first, I have to tell you something. Scootaloo woke up.”

“Well that’s great news! Apple Bloom’ll be chirping like chicken when I tell her.”

“Well yeah but . . . she saw something on Cloudsdale.”

“What was it?” Twilight asked, “Did she have any information on the changelings?”

Spike shook his head, and proceeded to explain to those present the shadowy figures that the young pegasus had seen while in the clouds. The room fell into silence as Spike described the impossible creatures that had paved the way for the changeling invasion. Both Twilight and Applejack had glanced to each other in shock. “Are you sure that’s what she said?”

Spike nodded.

“Twilight . . . you know any hocus pocus that can make something like that?”

“No . . . I can only speculate. It must have been from that book, but . . .” and Twilight’s voice trailed off. She paced back and forth, talking out loud, “If she’s got that kind of magic, we have to assume that Captain Shining Armor’s barrier won’t stop them.”

“. . . which means, we’ll need to keep our eyes peeled.” Applejack said.

Twilight nodded, and turning to her guard, she said, “Brawny, would you mind spreading the word to the soldiers. We need every-pony on the look-out for these things. And I need to know immediately if they are spotted.”

“Right away Princess,” Brawny said, and giving a soft bow, hurried out of the castle.

“Spike,” Twilight said, “let’s get word out to Princess Cadence and Starlight Glimmer.”


Slipping out across town, Tremor trotted carefully towards the Eastern edge of Ponyville. His Brawny Hoof façade continuously rewarded his queen with a wealth of information. Today had been no different. The changeling wanted a quick rendezvous with the others to plot out their next course of action, that and Razor should be back by now.

As Tremor moved through the town, he found ponies smiling at him, waving at him. Many were excited to see a soldier wandering the town, grateful to him for all his deeds. He couldn’t help but find it both amusing and disgusting at the same time. How had ponies survived so long if not every one of them were willing to fight? They thanked him now, but behind his back, what did they say? The soldier hadn’t been ignorant of the dissent spreading throughout the town. Ponies disappointed in some of Twilight’s decision-making were becoming more noticeable. Even as Tremor moved through the streets, some that recognized him as Twilight’s bodyguard would grimace and turn away. Such disrespect for their ruler. No wonder Queen Chrysalis is gaining the upper hoof. Take away their royalty and magical elements and they’re defenseless.

Reaching a rather poorly defended edge of Shining Armor’s barrier, Tremor took a deep breath and walked on through. Just as before, his shard of the throne protected him and the changeling easily passed on to the outside. With a few more steps, he’d pull himself far enough away where no-pony would see him. Reverting back into his changeling self, Tremor wandered deeper into the thicket of tees, until he arrived at a small stream where a single pegasus lay resting.

The sun lowered in the sky, signifying another evening. Whether or not the timing was accurate, no pony knew, but the dying light gave Tremor a better glimpse of the one that rested so nonchalantly out near the water. The disguise most recognizable, the changeling approached the “mare” and sat at her side.

“So you finally made it back,” Tremor said, “Is there any news from Canterlot? Did Queen Chrysalis get our news?”

The pegasus remained silent for a moment, and then slowly, her orangish fur evaporated into her hardened shell. A black, jagged horn sprouted from her forehead, and with a soft breeze to her tail and mane, Sunset Star had melted back into Razor. He smiled when he saw his comrade. “She did. I told her all of it. And she was very happy when I told her about Starlight Glimmer.”

“Of course she was. Our queen has been due this revenge for a long time.”

Razor turned back to the water, staring into his own reflection. “Daybreaker is becoming a nuisance. She’s taking more control over things as the days pass.”

Tremor cursed. He knew it only a matter of time before the alicorn would drop to such tactics.

“We have to finish up here soon.” Razor whispered. “Queen Chrysalis may need us.”

Tremor pondered over this, over what had just occurred with the meeting in the Castle of Friendship. “I know how. South of Ponyville is an apple farm that one of Twilight’s friends operate. It’s supplying the town with food.” Razor’s lips stretched into a smile as the other changeling spoke. “The farm is only lightly guarded. Have a group of changelings destroy it, and take what they can.”

“And . . .”

Tremor turned to Razor, returning the smile with one of his own. “And Cadence is sending us backup via a train.”

Razor couldn’t help but chuckle as Tremor spoke. He could almost taste the love from the ponies. “Gather some of our brothers and sisters, let’s get this plotted out. By week’s end, Ponyville will be ours.”

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! So happy to be back in time for the holidays with another chapter for you! Odds are you won’t be seeing Chapter 15 before Christmas, so I hope everyone will have a very Merry and safe Christmas this year! And also, a Happy New Years if I don’t update before then.

This chapter though marks an important milestone for this story. So a quick little insight as to how I approach my writing projects, I take copious amounts of notes for each story I write (with only a handful of exceptions), and this story was no different. After some brainstorming notes, I then write out detailed notes for each and every chapter in the story. Only after those chapter notes are done, do I start typing the actual chapters. Why do I mention all of this? I mention this because Chapter 14 is the halfway point (chapter-wise) in my notes. We are halfway through, and there is still so much to do and see. I’ve really enjoyed writing this story so far, and I sincerely hope everyone is enjoying the ride. Without further ado, please enjoy this newest chapter, and if you’re able, I’d love to hear what you think of things so far.