• Published 4th Jun 2019
  • 455 Views, 4 Comments

Unexpected Relations - Edward256



She was adopted - that much was for sure - but it had never been brought up. Not that it was really needed, but it was on her mind quite often now.

  • ...
 4
 455

Chapter 6

Saffron Mango came into the waiting room a while later followed by the nurse. Wisteria got up and immediately noticed the expression on Saffron's face.

"Are you all right, Saffron?" asked Wisteria. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I, um..." she tried to get out, but she was still in shock.

"She'll be fine," answered the nurse in her stead. "Needles are never pleasant."

Wisteria winced. "I can understand that."

The nurse leaned down and said "Now do remember that you need to take it easy for a few days. That means no tricks on your scooter. I've sent a letter to your home, but in case it doesn't arrive you should let them know."

"I could tell them," Wisteria spoke up before Saffron had a chance to groan.

Instead of groaning, she looked up and questioned "What?"

"I thought I'd walk you home. When we arrive I could make sure the message is delivered."

"I believe I can make my own way home," said Saffron, almost pleading, flapping her wings.

"Now don't start that again. I insist on making sure you get there safe and sound."

"Well, they don't get home until late anyways."

"Oh." Wisteria's face fell a bit as did her hopes of meeting Saffron's parents. "Still, I want to make sure you get there and rest."

Saffron Mango looked up to the nurse hoping for some kind of help. Unfortunately she only had a sigh to give. When Wisteria was set on something there was little one could do to dissuade her. Some secrets could never be hidden for very long.

"Go with the princess, Saffron," she eventually said.

Saffron turned her head back to face forwards with a frown. She put on her helmet, mounted her scooter, and buzzed her wings. Wisteria followed after her, but did not use any magic to steer seeing as she did not know where Saffron lived.

When they got outside, Saffron kept her wings at a steady and slow pace, partly to take as much time in getting home and hopefully find a plan to lose the princess, and partly she was still a little numb from the news she received. She was also split with what she wanted to do. On the one hoof she wanted to go home and rest, on another hoof she wanted to go and confront her biological parents, and on a third hoof she wanted to lead Wisteria on a wild goose chase. Each choice was as inviting and uninviting at the same time. Leading someone on - especially a princess - was not a very nice thing to do, she did not feel ready to confront her parents, especially if somepony was going to witness it, and she especially did not want to show anypony where she lived. Her steady speed allowed Wisteria to walk beside her.

"Sooooo..." began Wisteria. "It occurred to me that I have never met your parents."

Saffron Mango stayed silent, looking around for any options to present itself.

"In fact, I don't think you've ever mentioned them while you were my student at the library. Are they good parents?"

"Yes," muttered Saffron.

"That's good to hear. To have parents. To have good parents!" Wisteria chuckled slightly. "I'd hate to think you were orphaned or something."

Saffron Mango went stiff all the way out to her wingtips and was slowing to a crawl. Before she came to a complete stop she kicked off with her hind hoof to catch up with Wisteria. When she was beside her Saffron started her wings again and matched Wisteria's speed.

"It's just I don't think I've ever heard you talk about them so I was curious," continued Wisteria.

"Sail never speaks about her parents, maybe she's an orphan," countered Saffron.

It was Wisteria's turn to stop in her tracks. Whether Saffron noticed or not she kept going. Wisteria took a moment to recover and trotted up beside Saffron.

"I'll get to her soon enough," said Wisteria. "Maybe tomorrow. Right now you are here, and I'm trying to get to know you a little better. I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't get to know every pony in Ponyville. Which reminds me I should probably stop by the mayor's office and pick up a copy of the civil registry."

Saffron Mango realized Wisteria may already know something. She could tell by the way she was acting. She still kept her stern frown looking every which way for something to delay the inevitable, if nothing else. She spotted Sugarcube Corner in the distance and two thoughts came to mind. The first being this was probably the best place to get Wisteria distracted while she sneaks off home alone. The other thought - which was more felt - was she had not eaten since breakfast and it was probably an idea to get lunch. Without saying a word she steered off towards the bakery. Wisteria was not so deep in her thoughts that she noticed the sudden change and was quickly by Saffron's side again.

When they got closer to Sugarcube Corner Saffron pointed up at the building.

"Hey, can we make a stop here?" she suddenly said. "I'm feeling hungry."

Wisteria stopped and looked up. She was a little surprised from the sudden outburst.

"Okay, I guess," she eventually said.

They stepped inside and were greeted not by Chantilly, but by one of the owners of the bakery. Saffron had hoped Chantilly was here because she would be perfect to distract the princess. She ordered a slice of strawberry cake, Wisteria ordered a slice of apple pie, and they took a seat next to the front window.

They ate in silence for a bit before Wisteria asked, "So, what do your parents do?"

"Do?" asked Saffron, looking up from her food.

"Yes, like what do they work with?"

"I, never asked."

"Oh. They never spoke about their job?"

"Not that I can recall." Saffron was almost lying. Their jobs sounded boring, but she knew she would not bump into them easily. There was one time she and her friends invited the princess out to the local burger joint, and it was pure luck they made their order when Japonica was having a break.

"What are their names?" asked Wisteria suddenly.

"What?"

"Your parents. They do have names, don't they?"

"Their names?" fumbled Saffron nervously.

"Yes. They should have told you by now."

"Well, yes, it's, um, Eb...bon...ee... Ebony," she lied, combining Ebb's and Bon's names.

"Is that your mother's or father's name?"

Saffron thought about it, but tried not to take too long to answer. It sounded a little feminine and decided to reverse the roles a bit.

"My mother," she finally said.

"That's a nice name," commented Wisteria. "And your father?"

"His name's Eagle," blurted Saffron. It caught her by surprise that that was the first thing she could think of. In fact, there was no time to think if she wanted to sound convincing.

"Sounds like he's a soldier," said Wisteria.

"Heeey, Wisteria!" called a high pitched voice from the entrance. "Hey, Saffron! What happened to you?"

"Hey, Chantilly," answered Saffron. "Had a bit of an accident."

"One of your super duper stunties go super duper whoopsie-daisies?"

"You could say that," answered Wisteria. "Once we're done here she's gonna go home and rest for a few days."

"Oh wow," exclaimed Chantilly. "Does that mean no scooter tricks? Hope you got enough to read. I can't imagine not doing anything for a whole day."

"Well, I do get to move around a little," interjected Saffron.

"I mean, Sail would go absolutely stir-crazy if she got nothing to do but stir her drinks with her favorite straw all day," continued Chantilly as if nopony had said anything. "I should probably come by with something fun to do."

"No no!" cried Saffron a little too hastily. "No need for that. I can come out here, no problem!"

"Are you sure? Those booboos look pretty bad."

"I just need to take it easy. I'm not totally bed-ridden."

"Okie dokie lokie! If you say so. Just that you may just become the ghost of the party with those bandages. Get it? Toast? Ghost?" giggled Chantilly. None of them had noticed how Wisteria's face had transformed when Chantilly mentioned coming over to Saffron's home.

"You know where Saffron lives?" asked Wisteria.

"Oh no," muttered Saffron, becoming rigid. Chantilly knew everypony in Ponyville, even those who were visiting and stayed long enough to cross paths with her.

"Of course I do," she answered.

"Do you know Saffron's parents?"

"Parents?"

This was what Saffron Mango was afraid of. Chantilly had met her mothers and threw a few birthday parties at their house, but most of them occurred either at the school or the bakery. Fortunately for Saffron, Chantilly assumed Wisteria was thinking "guardian parents" and continued.

"Oh yes. I've met them. They sure are a cute couple. And I know they just love their little Saffron. It's just a shame their work keeps them apart for so long. But what can one do when there aren't enough jobs that require their special talents."

Before Wisteria could ask any further, the shop owner called out.

"Chantilly! Could you watch the twins for a bit? My husband needs to go out on an errand."

"Sure thing," responded Chantilly. "See you 'round!" she waved to Saffron and Wisteria and hopped up the stairs.

Saffron was glad she had left, and had completely forgotten she was to instigate a distraction so she could run off on her own. They finished their lunch in silence and headed out, only this time Saffron did not look for any other distractions but instead made her way straight home.


"Well, this is it," said Saffron as they arrived. It was pretty much the first thing she said since Sugarcube Corner. She was still a little shaken she had forgotten how much Chantilly actually knew.

"Well, let's get you tucked in," said Wisteria, making her way to the door.

"I can tuck myself in," interrupted Saffron, zipping to the door and blocking Wisteria's path.

"Are you sure? I mean, you are going to rest, aren't you?"

"Yes! Totally!" said Saffron nervously, as she squeezed herself and the scooter through the door. "N-not feeling especially energetic at the moment."

Light Wisteria looked at her sceptically, but in the end gave in.

"All right, if you say so."

"I do. Good night, Princess!" she said and slammed the door.

Wisteria was a little confused. Something seemed a little wrong, and Saffron seemed a little energetic, but it is said that when kids got overtired they could show a great deal of sudden energy bursts. She slowly made her way to a window to surreptitiously look inside.

The place was well kept. No signs of mess or disorder. She spotted some picture frames but could not quite make them out. One or two she saw had two mares in them, and she figured it was either a sister or a cousin to the mother.

Saffron Mango came into view and walked straight for one of the doors on the far side of the room. Wisteria was thinking this could be the bedroom, but was not completely sure. She could trot around the house to make sure, but she felt she had overstepped her bounds already. Once Saffron was out of sight she decided to trot on home. It was a weekend so the mayor's office was not open today.

What Wisteria did not realize was that Saffron Mango did not go into her bedroom but had gone into her mothers' bedroom. She was on a quest to find her adoption papers. It definitely did not feel right to be in here without their permission. They did not forbid her from going in their room - she could come in if something scared her - but there was something they had said after she got her own room. She could not remember the details, but what was most important was her sense of respect for their privacy.

She opened the closet and found a pair of wedding dresses, formal attire, some work clothes and some sets of horseshoes of varying shapes. She had learned the meaning behind formal wear, but most of why ponies wore clothes still escaped her.

She closed it and opened a chest by the foot of the bed. Inside she found some socks and what looked like a large jelly worm. She wondered why her mothers had not eaten it yet, or why they had not thrown it out when it started to make the chest smell musty. She had a thought of throwing it away for them, but that would show she had been in their room and rummaging. She did not want them to know she was in there if she did not find what she was looking for. She carefully moved the objects to see if there were any papers hiding at the bottom.

When she did not find any papers she moved on to the vanity and looked through the drawers. All she found were some brushes and make-up. She looked in the drawer of one of the bedside tables and found two books. One had some abstract, colorful and a little scary art on its cover simply titled "eric", while the other had a depiction of a beach on its cover with a title written in another language.

Not finding what she was looking for, she moved around the bed to the other bedside table and opened its drawer. She found one book with a silhouette of a pony on its cover, except its muzzle was longer, and the word "Diary" written in the corner. She noticed a piece of paper sticking out of the pages a bit and carefully opened the bookmarked page. She unfolded the paper to find more papers folded inside. Unfolding them she saw a heading she was looking for.