• Published 30th Nov 2017
  • 1,361 Views, 24 Comments

The Markless Mare - StormLuna



At the age of 20, Twilight Sparkle is still without her mark and since her brother is the captain of the royal guard, he could get Celestia to help her. Once Celestia realizes that she can't help her, she sends her to her protege who possibly can.

  • ...
11
 24
 1,361

Prelude: A Filly's Disappointment

Fifteen years ago when Princess Celestia raised the sun at the Summer Sun Festival, a unicorn filly had cut her way up to the front of the crowd to see Celestia raise the sun. As she saw Celestia light up her horn and raise the sun, she was fascinated with what the princess did. At that moment the filly developed a desire to study magic and hopefully one day become very talented in using it.

Naturally her parents enthusiastically got her all the books on magic that they could so that perhaps one day she could achieve her dream and much to the filly's delight, her parents had contacted Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and got Twilight a slot to take an entrance exam to gain entry. The filly was ecstatic upon hearing the news but was also nervous about what she had to do to get in.

When the day arrived, it was not just the filly that was nervous, it was her parents too. She and her parents were led into a room in front of a group of four unicorns where she was presented with a dragon's egg and to get into the school, she had to use her magic to hatch it. For several minutes she tried but all she could do was get a few sparks out of her horn until she felt an immense pressure on her horn, it was almost as though a force field had been placed on it, preventing her from discharging any energy.

Finally a loud boom rocked Canterlot, spooking not just the filly, but everypony in the room. Once the boom had subsided, Twilight felt the pressure go away but she did know one thing, she knew that she was not going to be able to hatch the egg given her inability to discharge but a few sparks of energy. She looked up at the judges with a devastated look on her face and said, "I'm so sorry for wasting your time."

The filly was devastated as she and her parents left for home. A filly who was once so interested in magic and wanted to become very talented fell into despair and quit reading her books. She felt that she had failed and that her future would be nothing special. Once she got into school she did decent but never had the ambition to study much and graduated in the middle of her class. What disappointed her the most as she grew into a mare was that unlike every other pony in Canterlot, she never discovered her special talent and thus, never got her cutie mark.