• Published 21st Nov 2017
  • 339 Views, 62 Comments

Through the Darkness of Space - Lt Rainbow Slash



The journal of an explorer among the stars. Inspired by Elite: Dangerous

  • ...
0
 62
 339

Day 8: Progress

20 November, 3603
Day 8
2,548LY from Cel

Today was a good day. I was able to cover a ton of ground...or space...whatever. 500 Light Years or so. It was interesting though. Yesterday there where a few unexplored systems, and some that had been discovered. It was about fifty-fifty. Today though there were only three or four systems somepony had explored. I got to be the first to find a TON of stuff.

Not only that but I found a bunch of interesting stuff too. Three water worlds, a bunch of terraforming candidates. Hay, I found one system that would be a miners dream with twelve worlds, all of which were extremely mineral rich.

I also snapped a ton of pics now that I have my Holoimager. So many I can't actually fit them here. I'll attach the interesting and/or relevant ones at least.

I had one pretty scary moment today as well. I was scooping off a star and filling my tank when the star let off a stellar flare. What that basically means is the star erupted a bunch of radiation and heat off into space. I saw it happen just in front of me. Any closer and I'd have been cooked. I got a pretty good picture of it.

You'd think the damn thing was trying to kill me. Just one of the many hazards of space travel and exploration I suppose.

On another note I finally ran out of water today. Eight days on a 5,000 Litre tank. That's not bad. It meant I had to go delving to the rings of a gas giant I passed by. I picked up a big chunk of ice in the hold and put it into my water purifier. It'll fill my water tank back up, and dump the rest. Water has always really been my biggest concern. Food? Fourteen months worth. Air? Infinite as long as I have power for the life support. Fuel? Class A, B, F, G, K, M, and O stars all have plenty of hydrogen in their coronas to scoop from and refuel. But water? I'm gonna have to grab ice from rings and planets and wherever else I can find it to stay supplied.

Also feel vaguely cheated. The last system I visited today was amazing. Three water worlds, six metal rich planets. Jackpot right? Nope. Somepony else has already been through here. I scanned all the planets but it's frustrating that I'm not the first on such a great find. I decided to set down for the night on the moon of one of the water worlds. Here's the view from my ship:

Space never ceases to make my jaw drop. Anyway, that's enough for today.

Until next time,
-Con

Today's discoveries:
Sifi IV-X B14-0:
-Water World tf, Selonia

Sifi UY-S D3-35:
-Water World, Anat
-Water World, Alith
-Metal Rich tf

Sifi DG-W B15-7:
-12 Metal Rich Worlds

Sifi TY-S D3-79:
-High Metal tf

Author's Note:

A story based on my own MASSIVE expedition in Elite: Dangerous.

I will update when possible: After I do a play session I'll sit down and write. Updates for the most part should be daily.

We'll see where this goes...