• Published 21st Nov 2017
  • 7,284 Views, 110 Comments

Havoc - Histy



Once death came and went, ending my mortal life, my soul was brought to a new world, with infinite powers beyond imagination. Unfortunately for the mortals who lived here, those powers aren't meant to be used for good.

  • ...
37
 110
 7,284

Quick Write: Day of Fools

I've been learning several new things since I came back from being stone. One of these things was the new holidays.

There were few holidays in my days before my imprisonment, and I remember few. Almost all "holidays" had something to do with all of the Gods' birthdays, with Faust's (of course) becoming the most special of these occasions.

The only holiday that I remember from my mortal life was something called Saturnalia, a festival dedicated to the days in which the God Saturn still ruled the world. It was characterized as a reversal of Roman norms: gambling became legal, sigillaria were given, slaves and masters had their roles reversed, banquets (which were only reserved for the elite) were held for the slaves, sometimes with their masters serving them, and a "King of Saturnalia" was elected to preside over the merrymaking.

As one such as you could notice, I enjoyed this holiday quite a lot.

In my years as a slave before becoming a gladiator, I always waited for this time of year, in the middle of the winter. When it finally came, I was perhaps the happiest slave in all of the territories Rome had under its control. I eagerly took to ordering my master things he usually ordered me to do: clean his (or during this holiday, my) residence, massage my back, and do... other pleasures, which I will not name.

Well, I'm getting quite off track, aren't I? It's rare I show such nostalgia of my mortal life.

Now, what was I actually talking about again? Ah, yes, the new holidays here. Least to say, I found them very basic. No role reversals, no banquets for the lowest classes, and certainly no King chosen to preside over them.

The first holiday was a simple celebration of the new year, the second one was about mates showing their affection to each other, the third honoring some figure of ancient times, the fourth was about cranking and fooling people, the fifth celebrating the heritage of foreigners, the sixth celebrating the coming of summer, the seventh celebrating the birth of a benevolent conqueror who once reigned over Equestria before its split into three nations after his death, the eighth celebrating the coming of autumn, the ninth celebrating the labor force, the tenth has people dressing up as "monsters" for fun, the eleventh celebrating the coming of winter, and the twelfth celebrating the birth of Equestria.

The celebration for these holidays was small, usually just a simple celebration, never to the scale my beloved Saturnalia took my admiration for.

Today was the fourth holiday, the so-called "April Fools" Day.

I scoffed at the name at first. A day for fools and idiots? Who thought such a thing was a good idea? Putting idiots up on a pedestal was an idiotic thing in its own right.

The mortal world has changed since my imprisonment, and I hate it. So very much. A thought hit me about making this day being dedicated to the mortals' stupidity to that compared to the Gods, admitting that they know nothing. That sounded rather satisfying

But I'll let them enjoy their ridiculous celebrations. For now, at least.

Author's Note:

Little small thing for you guys to enjoy on the Day of Fools. Happy April Fools Day.