• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 907 Views, 12 Comments

Guessing Game - pasieka17



An ancient creature awoke from it's long sleep, and the Elements of Harmony need to investigate.

  • ...
2
 12
 907

Prologue: Not that kind of party

Not that kind of party


The party was a tremendous success, but after all it was a Pinkie Party, so anything less would be a big surprise - and although Pinkie Pie didn’t have anything against surprise parties, surprising her friends with insufficient amount of dances, music games or cake (ESPECIALLY cake) wasn’t something Pinkie would ever consider - and everypony was quite grateful for it.

Pinkie took a quick glance around the Sugarcube Corner hall, which served as the ballroom this evening. All seemed great, as usual - the dance floor was a little bit empty though, but duh! It was just the very beginning of the party, and it was Pinkie who usually started “shaking those groove thangs”, and (as she quickly realised) she was not on the dancefloor yet, so of course, the dancing hasn’t started, you silly!

But other than that oddity, everything looked right - the tables bent under the weight of delicious treats, and Pinkie couldn’t see a single face with a frown on it. However, just in case somepony was actually playing the part of Saddy McTeary FrownyPants, she started her routine Party Patrol - a quick round across the gathering to determine, if there’s anyone who needs an extra cheer.

There’s nothing worse than not being able to fully enjoy the party you attend, Pinkie thought between her cheerful jolts and jumps, oh, maybe Nightmare Moon’s return could top that by a tiny whiny inch, or maybe a reawakening of the demonic lord of chaos trying to ruin everypony’s lives, or that time when some cheesy-legged shapeshifting vile ponies attempted to suck the love out of all Equestria, but nothing that unusual ever happens twice, and even if it does, then chaos comes with chocolate milk and cotton candy, and only really silly filly could think these things are evil.

“Great party, Pie!”

“This is what this day called for!”

“Such a lovely gathering, darling!”

“I’ve been waiting for an evening like that!”

The words of praise and applause heard from almost each pony she passed by, were making the smile on Pinkies face wider each second, to the point that one could worry if the corners of the pink pony’s mouth would eventually meet at the back of her head. Up to the point the Pinkie Patrol was a huge checklist with a green tick next to each pony’s grinning face.

Some young fillies and colts she hopped by were admiring the famous Party Cannon, which unleashed its barrage of joy about fifteen minutes ago. “The most cheerful gun in her arsenal”, as Pinkie called it, or “a weapon of mass celebration”, the name Rarity came up with, was indeed a peculiar device. A salvo of streamers, balloons, glitter and confetti was indeed a great party starter, but what was special about it, was that it seemed to ignore closed doors and other obstacles in order to fill all the house with party decorations. Twilight used to have her doubts about the precise nature of the mechanism, or the fact that it shot fully inflated balloons, even if Pinkie loaded it with empty ones, but as she learned some time ago, not everything Pinkie-related has to make sense.

Suddenly, something caught Pinkie’s attention.

She saw A CAKE.

Of course, it wasn’t something that unusual or astounding at a party, especially not on ones held at Sugarcube Corner; Pinkie had the habit of entering a baking frenzy before each of her parties, which resulted in a somewhat intimidating amount of desserts. Sometimes, she couldn’t even remember the exact number of them, or the whole list of flavors she aimed for - but making that particular cake, oh, she’d definitely remember that one.

The cake was magnificent, towering over other desserts with its tiered structure. It was almost as high as the Marzipan Mascarpone Meringue Madness, and each of its four tiers was decorated with different goodies. The lowest tier was covered with candied fruit and flowers, forming the most delicious and beautiful confectionery garden in all of Equestria; the second tier was home to the most meticulously crafted chocolate and marzipan designs. There were marzipan houses with dark chocolate roofs, a marzipan riverbed filled with liquid chocolate, little chocolate mountains covered with whipped cream and multicolored frosting... Pinkie just couldn’t take her eyes off it, but when she finally looked up a little bit more she was blinded by the kaleidoscopic riot of colors, that the third tier radiated. “I should definitely leave this part of the cake to Spike”, Pinkie thought, as the third tier was encrusted with a decorative mosaic of tiny gems.

Though gems sure are pretty, they are nothing that special to a confectioner, and the party mare decided to postpone admiring the third tier of the cake, quickly turning her eyes to the top tier.

Pinkie gasped.

The top tier was filled with figurines. Not just any figurines, like those you might have seen on a regular wedding cake, these wouldn’t astonish Pinkie, oh no, these figurines were so exciting, Pinkie couldn’t remember when she’d last been so excited, well, maybe the moment when she grew her first rock on the farm where she was brought up could compare, or when she finally understood the very essence of rock farming, but seriously, what could EVER top that one, right?

The figurines on top of the cake were having a party. And they were moving. Little chocolate pegasi were dancing, staying close to the border of the tier, and sometimes lifting themselves to flap their wings a little and do a small aerial stunt. The other figurines were apparently speaking to each other, and enjoying a cake of their own. In the center of the miniaturised party Pinkie could see a chocolate stallion with a mane made of blue icing dancing with a pretty mare in a dress made of something that looked like a thin layer of cotton candy.

“Oh my gosh!”, Pinkie thought, “My party is that super-duper outright fantastic, that it starts to have parties on its own! Well, duh! Everypony knows, that Pinkie makes the best parties, so a... partyception was just a matter of time! Hurray!”. Pinkie’s heart was filled with joy, so she did a little cheerful jumping. The cake was a wonderful addition to the party, but this wasn’t Pinkie Pie’s making, but fear not! Pinkie’s head wasn’t that high in the clouds all the time, so she knew exactly who to thank for this work of art.

“RAAAAAARIIIITYYYYY!!!” Pinkie shouted and her sparkling eyes started a wild hunt for the white unicorn.

She spotted her friend in almost the very moment she started her search; the fashion pony, or rather, her back, stood a few feet away from her, and the purple, twisted mane and tail assured Pinkie she didn’t make a mistake.

“Oh my gosh, Rarity, it is absolutely A-MA-ZING, I mean, at first I was like ‘is that a cake I made, and forgot about it?’ but then I was all...” *gasp* “... like no, I wouldn’t ever forget doing that, and for a moment I was like ‘if Forgettie Pie didn’t bake that cake, who did’, but it was of course you Rarity, duh! You’re the element of Generosity, and only a pony as generous as you could bring THAT thing to a party and not even say a thing ” - Pinkie’s words came out of her mouth at incredible rate “... and can you belieeeeve for a moment I thought it was Twilight, because those figurines are filled with magic, but then I....” *gasp* “... then I thought ‘silly me! Rarity is a unicorn too!’, and the third tier is filled with gems, and don’t get me wrong, they are pretty and shiny, but not everything that looks delicious is delicious, trust me, I was trying to eat a sapphire once and it tasted almost like a rock, can you believe that!?!?”

Pinkie stopped her stream of words for a moment, to give Rarity an opportunity to respond and say something like why, thank you darling, it is not a big deal, just a small token of my appreciation for the fabulous parties you’re always throwing, but instead she remained silent.

“Uh, Rarity? Are you listening?” asked Pinkie, noticing, that her friend didn’t even turn to her, so she was still talking to the back of her head.

“Is that about those few weeks in the desert? I thought we both had a great time! Like that time we met that gecko, who totally had Gummy’s eyes, and I nicknamed him Gummy Two, even though it was a gecko, not an alligator, and it was golden instead of green, and it had teeth, not just gums, you know, since he was biting your tail all the time and you were all ‘’I HATE GECKO TAG!!!...” … Pinkie tried to buy herself time with another lengthy talk to figure things out. If Rarity was ignoring her, she must be angry with her, but if she is, why would she bring such a wonderful cake to the party? Pinkie couldn’t make any sense out of it, and she regretted that she didn’t have her toy pipe, which always made thinking a little easier.

“You know what? Fine! Just don’t expect me to bake you prickly pear cupcakes any time soon!” Pinkie shouted, and turned away from Rarity. “I bet she didn’t even bake that cake, just told Twilight to do some magic she couldn’t”, thought Pinkie, but she didn’t actually believe it, not at all.

“Twilight!” Pinkie cried out, and saw the lavender unicorn across the room. If anyone had any answers to Rarity’s odd behaviour and the wondrous cake, it was the Princess’ prized pupil.

Crossing the Sugarcube Corners hall seemed to take forever.

“Twilight, I spoke to Rarity about the cake and she didn’t even turn around to speak with me, speaking of which, why don’t you turn around either? I mean it is rude thing to do when speaking to somepony, even if it is just me who is actually speaking, and yes, Rarity didn’t say a thing, but I don’t think she didn’t hear me or something, the music isn’t that loud and-”

“Calm down, Pinkie! What are you even talking about?”

“The cake of course! The one with this garden on the lowest part, and the second party on top! Now that I think of it, it was kind of rude to bring another party to the party, like this one wasn’t enough!”. Pinkie’s joyful disposition started to deteriorate.

“Oh, just show me the cake, Pinkie, and then we will speak to Rarity together, okay?”

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie exclaimed, changing her mood back to her usual in a second, and started to toddle alongside Twilight towards the dining room, where all the cakes were stored.

“So anyway, Twilight, isn’t your voice a bit off? I was wondering, if anypony had the skills to make all those figurines dance, it would be you or Rarity, because you know like all the magic possible, but Rarity seems to know all the pretty magic, and oh, my, that cake IS a pretty beast! So here it is!” Pinkie said and opened her eyes, only to doubt them once more.

On top of the cake, where the figurines used to have their own ballroom, only three remained. And they weren’t pony figurines, not at all.

The top tier of the cake belonged now to small, animate Diamond Dogs, made from an almost black, gooey matter, with shining, yellow eyes. The dogs were tearing out the gems out of the lower part of the cake, eating them, and growing bigger after each bite.

“Twilight, if that’s a joke, then know it is not a nice one!”. Pinkie tried to reach her hoof towards the cake to stop the Diamond Dog figures from eating out all of the gems, when she realised, that some of these gems had pupils. The cake was staring at her. Pinkie let out a silent nervous squeak.

“Is something wrong, Pinkie? The cake looks really nice!” said Twilight.

“Is something wrong? IS SOMETHING WRONG? You can't possibly be se-AAAAAAA!!!!!” Pinkie shouted her lungs out, trembling in terror, when she turned to Twilight.

“What is it Pinkie? You look like you’ve seen a ghost”.

The mare talking with Pinkie was NOT Twilight. Pinkie wasn’t sure WHAT she was speaking to anymore.

The creature looked almost like her friend, but in place of eyes, a pair of mouths was present, and a single eye wide open was gazing at her from the creatures’ muzzle.
“Is everything all right?” the creature asked using both of her mouths at the same time.

Shocked Pinkie gathered all her strength to turn away from the hideous, but strangely hypnotizing visage. “Yes, e-e-everything a-all right, sure”, she stammered. “Now let’s go find Rarity, okay?”

But Rarity was right behind her, reaching her hooves out to the strange cake. “Just a moment darling” - mysterious voice said - “I just need a quick fix... oh, there they are!”. The creature resembling Pinkie’s white friend grabbed some black gems off of the cake and stuck them into its forehead. The gems sparkled for a while, and Pinkie saw tiny white dots in them. “Were you looking for me? Because I was looking for you for quite a while, but it was so hard without eyes of any sort”, the voice seemed to appear in Pinkie’s mind on its own, because there were no mouth to produce it either. ‘Rarity’ had no face at all.

“Everypony run!” Pinkie shouted. “Eat the last pieces of cake, if you must, but then run away!!!”.

“Why? Are you not having a good time?”. The voice Pinkie heard didn’t belong to anypony she knew, that was for certain. “Just look around you. All of your best friends are here.”

Pinkie stood and observed, as the guests she thought she recognized started to turn to face her, revealing their true identities; she saw three rocks atop of each other; then there was a bucket filled with turnips, a big clump of lint and a sack of flour, all wearing party hats. For a brief moment Pinkie could swear, that she could see... herself among them.

One pony she thought it was Fluttershy, turned out to be a small and dense swarm of yellow Parasprites, which quickly abandoned the pegasus form and started to crawl on the walls and the ceiling instead.

“You see, Pinkie” - the voice kept on speaking, and the curly-maned pony still couldn’t figure out its source - “Your parties have become a little bit boring recently.”

“Well, first of all” Pinkie said, “it’s quite rude and uncouth to judge a party before fourteen. Second thing...”

“My dear, I strongly doubt there are more than twelve hours” - the voices’ source switched back to faceless Rarity.

“Well, duh, that’s why I added two extra hours so we can party more.” Pinkie was quite astonished, she needed to explain something this basic; “Anyway, the second thing is you didn’t even wait for an invitation song. Of course, to do an invitation song, I must first know your name. Besides, I’m almost certain, that the ponies that I spoke to are not the real Rarity and Twilight. Raritys’ face is little off.” Pinkie Pie waited for the voice to burst out in laughter in reaction to this brilliant pun, but only silence followed, so she continued - “So, in order to make things right, I must sing the what-is-your-name song. Then you will tell me your name, and hear the party-invitation song, after that, I think I’ll start asking some questions, and then, I suppose, we will finally be able to get back to the party.” Pinkie wasn’t exactly sure who, or what she should address, so she chose to smile with her eyes closed, as she often did.

The voice answered, only this time a purple mare with a yellow mane and the looks of a Canterlot pony was the one to speak the words.

“Young lady, this is not that kind of party. I’m not sure, if you even know where...”

Our party has just started
And I’m feeling kind of shame
It appears you were invited
Yet I still don’t know your name

Situation is quite awkward, I am sure you’re really nice!
It was Granny Pies’ instruction
You need a proper introduction
So we’d better listen to her, say your name, let’s break the ice!

Give first letter, second letter
I imagine how it sounds!
Then fourth after the third letter
(Every letter makes it better)
Cause their meaning is profound!

Tell it, say it, enunciate it,
Scream it, shout it or exclaim!
Just don’t keep it as your secret
We don’t need a guessing game!

Yay!

Pinkie was really proud of her song, and smiled even wider after finishing it. The voice spoke again, this time multiplied, coming from a bunch of balloons, which somehow appeared in Pinkies’ hooves. The balloons appeared to have faces drawn on them and looked disturbingly familiar.

“I think that a little guessing game is not a bad idea, actually. Where are we?”

“Where... are we?” unwittingly, Pinkie repeated a question and took another look around her.

Now she was sure, the place she was in, was no longer Sugarcube Corner. It was still a party though; the cake, which caught her attention earlier, was almost entirely gone; what was left of it, was a big, black stone, covered with the cake’s remains. Artificial Diamond Dogs were now almost the size of real ones and were eating the remains in a careful manner, as if they were cleaning the stone. The crowd of guests didn’t contain any of Pinkies’ friends anymore. The creatures forming the crowd looked a little bit like ponies, but the cold, gray color of their fur and empty eyes resembling large pieces of coal said otherwise. The walls were made of stone, and Pinkie suddenly thought she must be in a cellar of some sort. Abruptly some kind of gray, moving substance began to cover the stone walls, and Pinkie realised moments later, that the stone walls were actually burning with black and grey flames. She heard the voice say:

“So where do I put those streamers?”

“Streamers?”

* * *

“Yes, Pinkie, streamers, where do you want them? Pinkie?” Twilight Sparkle turned to her joyful friend, while the other ponies kept on decorating Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie Pie was twitching like an alarm clock, her ears were flapping at incredible rate, and on top of that her teeth were chattering.

“What’s wrong with Pinkie?” Rainbow Dash dropped the “10 years of Sugarcube Corner” banner she’d been holding in her hooves, surprising Fluttershy in the process, and flew to her pink friend.

“The parrrtttty cannnn wawawaittttt girrrrls” Pinkie mumbled, and after a while her seizures stopped. “The party has to wait. I think there’s something you should know about.”

“I don’t know why, but I have a bad feeling about it” said Twilight.