• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 8,965 Views, 67 Comments

Fluttershy's Foal - DaimoMac



Fluttershy becomes a mom to an abandoned foal.

  • ...
1
 67
 8,965

Prologue: Finding the Foal

Celestia's sun peeked over the mountain's in the distance, it's rays bringing the rooster to action. The small feathered fowl strutted towards it's post and crowed loudly. Not a creature stirred from it's rest, as per usual, which allowed the rooster one simple joy. A couple weeks back the wall eyed mail mare had dropped off a special package. Retreating to the coop, he returned with a microphone half his size. Clicking on the device the rooster crowed again, it's voice, now amplified, echoing all throughout the meadow. Birds took to the air and most satisfying, the lone attendant of the house woke. The rooster saw the pony through the curtains get up with a shock, and smiling inwardly, the bird strutted back to his nest.

~~~~~~

Inside the cozy cottage, a lone, pink haired pegasus rose from her bed. “Where did Sir Beaksly get that microphone,” she questioned to nobody. She opened her curtains and allowed the warm rays to fill her room. After making her bed, the young mare walked down the stairs and went to her kitchen. Hopping around like mad was Angel who quickly darted towards his meek friend.

“Yes, what is it Angel?” asked the yellow coated pegasus. The bunny pulled on her tail and tried to drag her towards. The small white bunny continued to point in the direction of the door. “Do you have to go outside?” Fluttershy asked, wishing she knew how to understand Angel when he made his manic motions. Giving in, the pegasus followed the bunny to the door. The closer she got to the door however, she noticed a faint crying. Fluttershy opened the door and looked down, only to be greeted by a foal. “Oh-oh-oh my,” gasped the pegasus as she peered in closer. The foal was no older then 2 or 3 days. Fluttershy turned to Angfel and said. “Quickly go get some milk out. This poor darling is hungry.”

The bunny saluted and ran into the house and Fluttershy gently brought the foal out and held her gently in her front hooves. She could finally get a good look at the young being. Her dishevelled mane was emerald green in colour and coat was a golden brown. Fluttershy gently nuzzled the baby, quelling its cries. She hushed her softly and held the tiny figure close to her.

Returning to Fluttershy, Angel handed the pegasus a small bottle who then in turn gently offered it to the baby. The foal's lips found the nipple of the bottle and gently began to suckle at it. Using a hoof, Fluttershy brushed some of the dishevelled mane behind the ear of the young mare. Placing her gently back into her basket, the light yellow pegasus carried the basket into her home.

For the next few hours, Fluttershy busied herself with her work in chores, stopping occasionally to check up on the foal, who was sleeping soundly. Noon hit and Fluttershy jumped when the door knocked. Creeping over Fluttershy looked out the window and saw Rarity's smiling face looking back. The regal ponies voice called through the door. “Fluttershy dear, are you in there?”

The yellow pegasus opened the door and smiled faintly. “Oh hi Rarity,” she said meekly. “Is today our spa day? I am so sorry I missed it.”

“Oh it was no problem. I thought you would busy, so I decided to come give you a facial here at home,” Rarity said, procuring several smaller bottles of various cleansing lotions. “Oh we'll have so much fun,” the ivory unicorn squealed.

“Umm Rarity...” Fluttershy began. “Can you take a rain cheque? I kind of have something going on now.”

“Oh?” Rarity began. “Does my winged friend have a colt friend over? Oh my did you have night of passionate romance straight out of a Harleneigh romance book?” At this, Rarity practically swooned.

Fluttershy's cheeks reddened at her friends comments. “No no. It's nothing like that Rarity.”

Rarity picked herself up and eyed the meek pegasus. “Is it another mare? Oh my Fluttershy! I had no idea you were into mares. Is it Rainbow Dash? Are you and Rainbow dating?” Again, Rarity nearly swooned.

Fluttershy's face went into a deeper shade of crimson. “No no no Rarity,” the pegasus said. “It's nothing like that.”

“Then what is it dear. I don't think I have it in me to feign a third swoon,” Rarity said.

Before Fluttershy could respond, the faint sound of crying began and Rarity's ears perked up. “Is that a foal?”

Fluttershy nodded. “I'll put on a pot of tea and explain everything.”

~~~~~~

“So you found the baby this morning?” Rairty repeated as she sipped at the sweet cherry and apricot tea.

“Yeah,” responded Fluttershy as she held the foal close to her. “No note or anything.”

“I see.. So what are you going to do?” Rarity asked. Gone was the drama from her eyes, replaced by concern and worry for her friend.

“I-I-I dunno,” Fluttershy replied weakly. “I was thinking of raising her myself.”

Rarity thought for a second before she responded. “Fluttershy, sweetie listen to me. Raising a foal is very difficult. While I don't know from personal experience, I've seen Ditzy do it and she tells me it is difficult for her. She's said that without Carrot Top or Big Macintosh she wouldn't know what to do.” Fluttershy looked somewhat despondent upon Rarity's comments. “I'm not saying you can't do it. I am just telling you it's going to be difficult.” Once again, Fluttershy looked even more nervous. “How about you ask Ditzy? I am sure she would be glad to help you and give you some advice.”

The yellow pegasus smiled warmly. The two mares continued to talk well into the afternoon. Rarity looked at the clock and gasped. “Oh dear, I'm late. I told Sweetie Belle I would be back in an hour. Who knows what she's done.”

Fluttershy thought about responding, but she knew how enthusiastic Sweetie Belle was and her good intentions often led to disaster. She shuddered at the memory of dealing with the cockatrice. “Would you like some company back to town? I wanna take her to Nurse Redheart to give her a check up.”

Rarity smiled. “I Would love the company.” Using her magic, Rarity lifted the small basket and strapped it gently to Fluttershy's meagre frame. Opening the door Rarity ,left the cottage followed by Fluttershy and the two friends walked through the meadow into the sleepy town of Ponyville.

~~~~~~~

The two mares made their way to the town. A warm spring breeze blew gently through the crowded streets. The main square of Ponyville was the center of commerce. Along the side of the streets were a variety of shops while the center of the square was dotted with various stalls, selling various products. Near one of the apple stalls, a carmel brown pony was chatting with a purple unicorn. If one tried, they could almost see hearts floating above the two love struck ponies.

“It looks like Twilight has taken a real shine to that Caramel fellow,” Rarity said with a slight smile. Fluttershy looked over and saw the two.

“Oh my,” the yellow pegasus said softly. “How long have they been going out?”

Rarity paused for a moment and thought. “I have no idea. She has been trying to keep it in hiding, but you know how good she is at keeping secrets.”

Fluttershy allowed herself a small chuckle and continued on her way to the clinic. There the two ponies parted ways. The timid pony entered the clinic and much to her relief, the clinic was empty. “Umm, hello,” she called out.

From behind a curtain, an older, somewhat more tired voice called out. “Yes?” From behind the curtain a head popped out and Fluttershy immediately recognized it as Nurse Redheart. She was an older mare, her once pink mane now fading with age. Her pale alabaster coat showing signs of age. “Ahh yes Fluttershy. How can I help you?” She asked as she approached the desk.

“Nurse Redheart. I found this little filly on my doorstep this morning. I-I was wondering if you could give her a check up?”

The older mare smiled. “Sure thing. Bring her to the back and I'll give her a lookover.” Fluttershy nodded and followed the nurse back to the room. There, she removed her pack and gently took the foal from her basket. Upon grabbing her, the the foal yawned opened up it's eyes and looked at Fluttershy. She smiled at her and sighed before falling back asleep.

“She sure is a tiny thing,” the nurse said as Fluttershy placed the foal down.

“Yeah,” Fluttershy said. “Poor thing was abandoned on my doorstep. No note or anything.”

The nurse looked over at Fluttershy with concern. “Was there any clue of who this foals mother was?” Fluttershy shook her head sadly. “I see.”

“I was thinking, seeing as she was abandoned, I could...adopt her,” upon asking this Fluttershy pawed at the floor and looked away.

Nurse Redheart looked her over with a sideways glance. “Fluttershy, I know you are good at nursing animals to health, but are you sure you are capable of this? Taking care of a child is quite difficult.”

Fluttershy nodded. “She is so young, And to send her off to a foster home or an orphanage at such a young age would be devastating, wouldn't it?”

Nurse Redheart sighed and looked over the foal. After some time, she placed her gently back into the basket. “Fluttershy, I'll get the papers ready. Are you sure you?” Fluttershy nodded fiercely. The nurse smiled. “Alright. What's the name for the birth certificate ?”

Fluttershy looked over the sleeping foal and smiled. “Clover. Her name will be Clover.”