• Published 31st Oct 2017
  • 3,405 Views, 73 Comments

Twilight's 1000th Birthday Blowout - Cyndaquil



A time travelling Spike is inviting all Twilight's closest friends to her one thousandth birthday.

  • ...
5
 73
 3,405

8 Prelude To 'It's All Coming Back To Me Now' (Meatloaf, Not the Dion Cover)

“So let’s see if I have this right. Your plan is to stick a thorn in a Manticore’s paw, then send it rampaging through the park in the hopes that Fluttershy will soothe the beast, and therefore reveal herself to you.”

“Yes, that’s about the gist of it,” Discord spoke as though he was quite pleased with this brilliant idea.

If Starlight Glimmer had a head, she would be beating it against a tree right now.

“I already have the Manticore, I just need to borrow one thorn from this pretty little rose, if that’s okay with you.”

“No! It is not okay.” The talking rose yelled.

“Don’t be greedy! Just because you can project your consciousness into a rose doesn’t mean you are the rose, Glimmer.”

Starlight Glimmer currently existed as a consciousness bound to the new Golden Oaks Library. She was literally a tree, Fluttershy’s odd fantasy granted to the wrong pony. Though at the moment she was projecting her consciousness into a rose so that she could yell at Discord.

“That’s not the issue! Although ripping off a thorn would actually be painful while I’m channeling through it.”

“Really?”

“Do I have any say in this?”, asked Manny the Manticore.

“Shut-up!” They both said in unison.

It’s just that I wound’t go rampaging and scaring ponies over a little thorn in my paw. I’m not that uncivilized. A single tear made it's way down Manny's cheek.

“Were did you even get such a crazy idea?”

Discord reached into his pocket (a hole in the fabric of reality) and pulled out a musty old book.

“Fluttershy lent me this book the last time I saw her.” He slumped his shoulders slightly. “I had no idea it would be the last time I saw her.” Immediately he perked up again. “Anyway, I like the symbolism of using this book to help find her. It’s a collection of short stories, either fictional or historical; that contain little bits of practical wisdom.”

The book was not in great shape, with its spine creased and pages turned yellow. To say he had taken care of the book, is not accurate. You could probably forgive him for crying into the pages when Fluttershy disappeared, but not for blowing his nose into them. Then after forgetting for a century or two, he found it propping up the leg of a table. The table was too level and wouldn’t wobble properly on its own. Twilight had restored the book for him at least twice.

“Pony Tales, you’re seeking practical real world advice from Pony Tales.”

“The one about the puppet whose nose grew gave me some great advice for finishing my taxes last year.”

“And I suppose the Manticore nonsense came from the fable about the mouse and the lion. Was Cinder-Nellie too obvious?”

“No, I just don’t recall Fluttershy having a particularly unique shoe size. For that matter, did Cinder-Nellie have unusually big or unusually small feet?” Discord morphed the size of right foot as he spoke. “There was the story of ‘The Princess and the Pea,’ but if a pony is that fussy then who needs her.” He scratched his chin in thought.

Glimmer wished she had eyes to roll. She wasn’t unsympathetic to the creature. Way back then Discord truly had loved Fluttershy; only now she worried that he was just in love with the idea of being in love. After what rounds out to a thousand years, Discord didn’t even remember her face.

“Discord,” she spoke softly, “just follow me.”

The draconequus half expected the flower to break out of the soil and walk upon its roots. Instead he heard whispers as Starlight Glimmers consciousness shifted from one plant to another.

“This way…over here…this way… follow me.”

Finally she came upon the fountain in the center of the park. He materialized a rose and a flowerpot, and in a moment Glimmer was with him once again. They walked around the fountain, its basin supporting statues of the Mane Six. He passed Twilight, who he still saw from time to time. Then he passed another pony, and another. Finally he found Fluttershy, her kind loving eyes cast perfectly in marble. The flower stopped whispering. He looked upon the statue. He studied it carefully, then after a long pause he turned to the flower.

“Do you have anything in colour? No joke, this could be about twenty ponies I’ve seen today.”

Author's Note:

I didn't get much writing done this weekend, so I decided what I had could serve as a prelude of what is to come.