• Published 15th May 2018
  • 335 Views, 3 Comments

Aeternitas Book I: Lunar Shadow - Shadowlight Wanderer



Collection of conected character studies and mystery story. Our heroes are trapped in the nightmares by foes, who are after powerful forces of mystical nature. Will they be able to save the world and overcome the darkness ?

  • ...
 3
 335

Endurance

Chapter 9

“In which Applejack meditates while falling down and finds herself in moment to die for”

“I have a bad feelin’ about all of this” muttered Applejack

She turned around to see her reflection everywhere on the surface of crystal cave

Caves... Twilight told them about the caves under Canterlot once. This was a place where Queen Chrysalis imprisoned Princess Cadence and later Twilight during the royal wedding. Applejack heard that the caves were a part of old mines, from ancient times when unicorns were exploring Canterlot mountain to find more gems. But the place was deserted and empty. This was why she didn't have good feelings about whole situation.

"Well then... Let me think. What can be wrong here ? The first thing may be the fact that I awoke in this darn cave, not on my place by the lunch table. Yeah, the problem is that I am here where I am and not there where I am not " muttered orange farm pony and then stopped, giggling " Whoa, I am startin' to goin' deep. Applebloom is right, maybe I should write down my thoughts a bit more. But anyway... what happened to me ?"

Applejack started to trot around the cave. She looked around, not knowing what to expect from the hands of the invisible foe. She closed her eyes and listened. Nothing. Just a sound of water, usual in the cave like this one.

"Well then, it looks like we will have to do it the hard way. Maudtold me once that those crystal walls always have a weak spot. So ..."

She moved closer to the wall and examined it for a while. After a while, she turned around

"Aaaaaaaaappppllleeee KIIIIICK!!!!" she yelled, bucking the wall with all her great strength.

The wall cracked and a hole appear, big enough for Applejack to crawl through

Blond mane earth pony smiled, her emerald eyes gazing at the hole with triumph.

"Well, that sure is convenient. I guess Pinkie Pie was right. Battle scream really helps in situation like this..."

She crawled through the hole and found herself and long tunnel, carved in crystal. Applejack's smile faded.

"That was easy...too easy... something is downright wrong. Something is hiding up there. This whole thing is stinkin' more than Granny's underwear after sunny day.”

She was slowly moving towards the end of the tunnel. But everything just seem so peaceful. Maybe that was some kind of a weird joke after all...

"Applejack !!!" the scream echoed throughout the passage.

Applejack gasped and started galloping in the voice direction.

"Shut, why I have to always jinx everything" she muttered.

"AJ, over here !!! " the voice's source was definitely nearer and the earth pony could identify its owner. Yeah, it was Twilight without mistaking.

Finally, Applejack spotted a silhouette of a lavender mare, lying at the end of the corridor.

"Twilight ! Twilight ! Is that really ya ? Speak to me, sugar. Ya don't look good. "

Twilight lifted her head. She looked extremely tired, her eyes were glassy and red.

"Thank Celestia that you are here. We must get out of here, find princess Cadence and warn her about princess ."

Applejack shook her head

"I am sorry Twi, but I don't think I understand ya. What is wrong with Princess Celestia ? And why are we even here in the first place"

Anger flashed in Twilight's eyes

"Applejack, something is very wrong with princess Celestia. I think she went crazy for some reason. She tried to blame for causing you harm so I tried to perform a spell to punish whoever is responsible for...for... anyway, my spell was affected and I was teleported down here. I was lying unconscious for some time. After I woke up, I spotted you in the distance and I can't tell you how much of a relief you are to me. I was imprisoned here once with Cadence and I know that it is better to be here with somepony and not alone."

Applejack rubbed her head

"That's a heck of a crazy story Twilight. Are ya sure that was exactly what happened ? "

"Applejack, we really have to hurry and destroy our enemy. You have to trust me on that" the unicorn said, arising and pulling Applejackwith her magic.

"Well, well, I am followin' ya, hold on !" said Applejack, galloping behind her.

They ran through the crystal cave and found themselves on the edge of the deep pit with the corridor beginning on the other side of the dark space.

Twilight quickly spread her wings and flew to the other side.

Applejack's coat suddenly stood straight. Something on the edge of her consciousness was tingling, something alarmed her that something still was not right. Did Twilight said something about destroying Celestia ? Twilight would always consider turning foe back to good first...

"Applejack, now it’s your turn !" shouted Twilight

"Twi, wait. I have to ask ya something..." Applejack shouted back, but then she was consumed by the magical aura, which lifted her over the void" are ya seriously consider destroying the princess. You don't sounded like yourself back then..."

She was suddenly suspended in the middle of the way.

"Twi... ?" farm pony carefully asked into nothingness

In the shadow covering the other side of the cliff ignited two dots of golden light... a pair of eyes.

"Well, well, well, it seems that you are not a dumb proletarian after all. But I remember that you were always good in breaking the illusions. You are always the Element of Honesty, able to see through false to reveal the truth."

"Twilight, no, this can't be happenin'.... I was just..." Applejack stared at the golden eyes in disbelief.

"Joking ? Well, I can assure you that Twilight is far away now and your friends... oh, they probably won't survive till the dawn. I will make sure that my plan will go without annoying bearers of the Elements of Harmony around. I will find you and end you, one by one."

"Who are ya ? What is yer plan ? What have ya done with Twilight ?" Applejack tried to move, desperately struggling over the blackness. She only managed to move a few inches.

"Tsk, tsk, my dear Applejack. You are the support of your friends and family, you are so strong and dependable...and yet you still failed to save those precious to you. Everypony knows that everypony dies. And nopony knows it like you do"

Applejack bucked into the air and started swearing in such manner that is better not to mention it in this story.

"Ya are crazy ! Ya're just tryin' to let that craziness of yers in my mind. But I do not believe ya one bit " she screamed through her tears." When I get out of here, you will pay and you will pay dearly"

Loud giggle echoed in the shadows

"You are so naive. You trusted me when you saw me. And it wasn't even because I chose the form of Twilight. You were afraid of rejecting somepony, even if he or she might turn out to be an enemy. And that was exactly what I needed to eliminate you. You can tell that I am not lying in the case of your friends, can't you"

Applejack hesitated for a moment

"Yeah, ya're not lyin' '" she muttered.

"Great " whispered the voice in the shadows " and now you are going to die. It is nothing personal, sugar. You just cannot stand in my way with all this power inside. "

"What have ya done with Twilight ? The real Twilight, my friend ?" cried Applejack, still trying to figure a way of surviving.

"Well, I can tell you that Twilight is very, very close to me and we share most of things. But it turns out that she didn't mentioned me at all. Such a good and caring friend"

"Twilight would never put us in risk ! Ya're tryin' to erase her good name but I know that she is the most friendly and nice pony I know. We are a team through her. We would have never find the Elements without her and without her my life is incomplete. So understand this. I will never lose faithin my friends and I will never abandon Twilight !!!"

There was a moment of silence and then a soft, broken whisper emerged from the other side of the abyss of darkness

"I am sorry... I loved you so much...please forgive me..."

Applejack's eyes widened

"Who's there ?” she asked, trying to recognize familiar but also strangely aloof voice.

"DIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" roared the more recognizable voice of the unknown enemy.

There was a blast of a magical energy and Applejack was released from telekinetic grasp. She started falling down in the dark well, swirling around through the air. She was dizzy but still conscious. Falling down, she was recalling memories... her watching the sunset at Sweet Apple Acres, singing songs with Big Mac, Applebloom and Granny... Defeating Nightmare Moon... spending day after day with her friends and trying to do all she can to keep them safe to not to lose them. Not like her parents... not like... them...

"No !!!" She shouted, still falling down

After her parents' death all she ever wanted was to have someone around. Someone who won't go away so easily. Applejack was always the toughest one from the six of their group. But she was also the most venerable when it came to loses. She learned longtime ago that if she won't leave any imprint of herself to the world, she may be forgotten.

So she worked hard to prove herself to the world, challenging herself with each day. Before Twilight came around, she didn't havemany friends. Even Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Rarity were just some faces in a crowd. She sometimes spent time with them but until the events of the Summer Sun Celebration, they weren't exactly very close. It was Twilight's arrival that truly united them. And now Twilight is gone... and maybe the rest of her friends too. Rainbow... she was arguing with her ona way to Canterlot. She didn't say a proper goodbye.

She failed again. Just like when her mother, Buttercup, was dying, growing weaker and weaker after AJ's father went to Everfree and never came back. There was nothing Applejack could do. She still could recall last words of her mum "Don't cry, my little Jackie. I know you will take care of everything. Please look after for Bloom for me. Don't cry, I will be always there for you, just go to the field and I will be there, in all of the buttercups and in the sun and the wind. I will never leave you, my sweet. It just have to be like this. I love you Applejack... remember, always be honest... and never fail to...be...kind..."

There were tears floating in the dark abyss. Tears floating up and then falling down.

"NOOOOOO!!!!" Applejack shouted again through the wind " I won't let ya die. I will never cease to be with ya so ya won't have to feel this. Whoever ya are, Ya will pay. This ends now"

Her body was getting hotter and hotter. It was vibrating with adrenaline

"TONIGHT EVERYPONY LIVES !!!"

CRACK!!! CRASH!!!

*******************************

Applejack opened her eyes.

She opened her eyes ?

She was still alive ?

Her eyes slowly moved around to see where she was.

She was lying on a rocky shelf, which was extending far from cliff's wall

Applejack was stunned. A fall with that velocity should definitely kill her. She raised. All bones in her body cracked loudly but nothing besides that. What in tarnation was going on ?

She marched to the cliff's wall and looked up. Above her, in the distance, she could spot the light of the crystal cave,

Applejack blown her blond mane from his face. The rubber bonding her mane was lost (maybe during the flight ) and now she was surrounded by the yellow veil of her mane.

"Listen here careful if ya still here me ! If ya tryin' to scare me, it is doin' a very good job. Even now, I won't lie. But ya must also understand this. I am Applejack, the eldest daughter of Bright Macintosh and Buttercup. I will find ya and I ya will regret ever to cross my path. I don't mind torturin' me. Brin’ it on, do it as much as ya wish. But don't ya dare make my friends suffer too. I will never allow ya to take them away from me. Everypony die and everything will fade. But not today, not when I am here. So prepare yourself cause ya're going to be bucked !!!!"

She looked at the cliff. She once attended climbing course with Rara, on Camp Friendship. Let's see how much she could remember.

She started to climb up the wall and the higher she get, the faster she was climbing. She was surprised how easy it was. It was like earth was shaped just for being a support for her hooves.

And on that impossible place, in the middle of the black abyss full of howling wind, Applejack started to sing as she climbed higher and higher

The orchard humming on the hill, the streams of water cold

The old barn that is standin' still, it starts the story told

I lived my life through many years and crossed so many ways

But in my home I found the peace I felt in good old days

I've lost so much, I cried so hard, I thought I lost my way

Cause every step was with great cost, so will I live next day ?

And seasons changed and fallen stars

Have marked track of my tears

Oh, what I'd give for you to live

To save me from my fears

I never known what is like to feel this calm

Cause even though I had my place, I've never could belong

Cause I've walked with those who loved,

Who hated, laughed and smiled

But over time they all just left

I had to say goodbye

When you are gone, I cannot find the place in my soul

Why I keep standing, and not just...let go ?

Applejack was in the middle of the cliff. She was paying attention to not look down. Her ballad was motivating her to move forward, in the light's direction. She won't give up. She could not do that. Higher, higher...

Cause now I must go

Into the place that I don't know

To face the threat, to make the stand

So my own story will never end

I will go on, through night and day

And they will never be far away

Inside of me, in my heart

Forever will stay

Like a tree from the ashes growing forth will soon

Will gave the world the beauty of it's lovely bloom

I won't gave up, I will not kneel

Whatever I say, Whatever I feel

And in my triumph they all will say

I love ya, here forever stay

I will not fail, I will not fall

I must stand strong, stand through it all

Cause past is past and sun will rise

And you must now how to be once

And through the fields, in grass of gold

The one mare's story once will be toooooooooolddddd!!!!!

The last word was shouted as Applejack reached the top of the cliff. She fell to the ground and started laughing through tears. She made it (Even though she still was shocked how quickly she could climb this distance ). She smiled weakly, staring at the crystals above her

"Thank y'all, everypony, thank ya for yer strength"

Suddenly, the earth under her body faded. She started falling down. She screamed, thinking that she accidentally rolled over the edge or something like that. But her fall ended very quickly.

She was in a different location now, she could not say where exactly. Patches of cloud-like darkness swirled around her.

She spotted a silhouette in a distance. She slowly approached it and placed a hoof on pony's back.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" the pony jumped into the air.

Now, Applejack could recognize the pony

"Fluttershy ?" she asked gently

Fluttershy, still two meters over ground, slowly opened her eyes

"A-A-Applejack ? " she asked. She noticed famous Stetson hat and shortly after, the whole silhouette of apple farmer.

Applejack rose an eyebrow. She tried to stand still, despite how tired she was.

" 'Course it's me, sugarcube. Who else ?" she said, staring at Fluttershy with confusion.

Fluttershy slowly landed on the floor and moved closer to orange farm pony

"Applejack... if you don't mind that I ask but do you know what is going on ?" she said quietly, hiding behind the veil of rosy mane.

Applejack was now thinking very hard. She had to tell the others about the danger they were facing. Together they will put the end to all of this.

"Are you all right ?" Fluttershy asked, wrapping a wing around her.

Applejack was contemplating something the shadow clouds. The rest must be in there...somewhere.

"We need to get movin' " she finally answered, staring at shadows in front of her with determination " Whoever is hiding up there, won't hurt any of you tonight. Let's go ! "

Applejack galloped away, entering the dark clouds and leaving Fluttershy behind.

She was galloping at her full speed. But after some time, there was still nothing in sight.

Then she noticed a familiar figure galloping in her direction. She would recognized that mane everywhere.

"Pinkie, over here !!!" she shouted

It was too late when Applejack realized that something was out of place

Pinkie jumped and tackled her to the ground. Her eyes were radiating with madness and in her mouth... she was holding a...

"Pinkie, what are ya- ?"

Pinkie howled, lowering her head faster than anypony Applejack ever saw.

She had no time to react.

She sighed as the knife pierced through her skin. She could feel it. Not to shallow, not to deep.

That was it ? That was her end ?

But...

"Why ??" she whispered, reaching in Pinkie's direction.

The pink pony's eyes suddenly cleared as Pinkie Pie blinked as if awoken from the long dream. She stared blankly at her before realization struck her

"Applejack ? It is you ? Nonononononononono.... Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" she screamed, hugging apple famer " I am so sorry AJ. I could not stop myself. She...she tricked me. But I will not let her have satisfaction. I will get help"

Applejack shook her head

"No need ! I understand, it seems...probable that it was not ya. I will never forget ya, Pinkie. I forgive ya. Go find the others and tell 'em... tell 'em... that I have always loved ya...all..."

"No, wait ! I will fix that, I have to fix that. Be with me Applejack, stay here. You are the best maybe- cousin that I have ever had. I...I won't able to...." Pinkie said, leaning close to her wounded friend

"Sssshh, all ya want to say. I feel that too... " Applejack gazed at the ceiling " I see...my orchard in full bloom.."

"AJ, please ! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Pinkie Pie shouted, shaking her hunches

Applejack smiled as her eyes began to close...