• Published 11th Oct 2017
  • 625 Views, 12 Comments

Wood and Steel - CodenameOne



Two conductors of the Royal Rail Service are stranded in the woods when their train runs out of fuel, and through their journey to find a way to get moving again, find love in the unlikeliest of places.

  • ...
1
 12
 625

7: Happiness Finds You

When Drawbar awoke the next morning, he found he wasn't in the manor's foyer or back at the train. He groggily looked around the simple room, taking in its decor. There was a shelf with vases, lilacs sticking out from the mouths. A few paintings of waterfalls and rolling green hills, a nightstand with a brass lamp, a bookshelf with more empty candy dishes than books. Drawbar rolled over in the bed, turning to face the other end of the room. There was a second bed, Axle fast asleep in it, and beyond that was the door to the room, a radiator next to it.

As Drawbar slowly got up he rubbed at his eyes, the previous night's events coming back to him as he realized where he was. Immediately he was concerned, and wanted to check up on Willow to see how he was. A clock on the wall claimed it was just past 7:00 AM, meaning the millers would likely be up already.

Drawbar put his hooves to the floor and remade the bed before trotting around, briefly stopping to check on his brother, Axle's barrel rising and falling steadily. Drawbar smiled and turned towards the door, reaching for the elegant knob. He paused, a note stuck to the door just above the knob. He grabbed it and pulled it off the door, looking it over.

Feel free to use our shower and make yourselves some breakfast. I imagine you'll both be quite hungry.

-Trimmer.

Drawbar nodded and stuck the note back to the door, leaving it for when Axle awoke. As he thought about it his stomach rumbled, and Drawbar quietly pushed the door open, finding himself out in a narrow hall, the walls a fetching shade of blue, sconces mounted to the wall every ten feet or so.

As he looked up and down the hall Drawbar frowned, unsure of where exactly he was or even where to go. Picking left he began trotting down the hall, deciding that as important as talking to Willow was, getting food in him was just a little more important.

He just needed to find the kitchen.


After 15 minutes of wandering the halls, getting lost and half-heartedly fearing he was going to end up starving to death Drawbar entered the foyer, the towel from the night before draped over a couch and the fireplace filled with ashes. Descending the staircase and turning towards the west wing Drawbar headed for the door nearest the stairs, pushing it open and finally finding the kitchen. Relief flooded through him as Drawbar raced over to the refrigerator and pulled it open, peering inside. There was a pouch of daffodils and a bundle of hay on the middle shelf, as well as a number of other sundry foodstuffs. Drawbar pulled the daffodils out and set them on the countertop nearby, a loaf of rye bread in a breadbox against the fridge.

Pulling the breadbox open Drawbar yanked out two slices of bread and threw the pouch of daffodils onto one, slapping the second slice on top of it and scarfing down half of it in nearly one bite. He hummed contentedly, his taste buds reveling in the flavor. Daffodils weren't Drawbar's favorite, but he wasn't one to be picky when he was so hungry. Slowing down to a reasonable pace Drawbar took his time finishing the sandwich off, taking time to actually enjoy it. He'd eat properly once he got back to the train, but for now the sandwich would suffice.

Stuffing the last of it into his mouth Drawbar pulled the fridge door open again and pulled out a carton of milk, retrieving a glass from the cupboards above the countertop and up-ending the carton, filling the glass halfway. He downed it in just a few gulps, stowing the carton back into the fridge. He leaned against the countertop, wiping his mouth of the bread crumbs and smacking his lips. His hunger sated Drawbar let out a sigh, rolling his head back, his neck popping as he worked a kink out of it.

"I'm guessing ya'll were mighty hungry" a quiet voice said, startling Drawbar and making him jump. He looked at the open doorway of the kitchen and found Willow standing in the threshold, looking sheepish and rubbing the back of his head with a hoof.

"Well, you aren't wrong" Drawbar said, pushing away from the countertop and getting back on all fours. He turned to face Willow, unsure of what to say. He supposed he should start with asking him if he was alright, but before he could Willow turned back, his head craned to look over his shoulder at the rail stallion.

"Ah'll be out at the mill. Come find me when yer ready."

With that the younger buck trotted off, leaving Drawbar alone in the kitchen once more. He sighed, trotting in Willow's wake into the foyer and heading for the front doors, pushing them open and stepping out into the morning sun, the air moist as the sunlight mixed with the dampness of the ground, thin rainbows emanating from the ground when looked at in just the right angle. Birds sang in the distance, the forest waking up in the aftermath of the storm.

Turning left Drawbar started heading towards the mill, seeing Willow sitting on the edge of it, near the end where the split logs fell off. Drawbar smiled in spite of his nervousness as he approached the mill, wondering what he was going to say to Willow. He knew the mill colt would ask the one question he hadn't yet, for the issue Drawbar hadn't explained yet, and Drawbar just had to wonder how he'd answer that question.

Putting his hooves to the steps Drawbar ascended up to the mill, the smell of sawdust and steel heavy in the air. He made sure Willow heard him trotting up behind him, not wanting to startle the buck and nearly cause his death like he'd done twice already. Willow looked over his shoulder at Drawbar, his expression warm and welcoming. Drawbar sat down on the mill next to Willow, making sure to keep a respectful distance from him.

"It's a nice day out here t'day. Just glad that ah'm able t' see it" Willow said quietly, looking out at the forest. "I just wanted t' thank you again for saving ma life, Drawbar. Twice in one day, no less. That there'd give tha Elements a run for their money."

Drawbar couldn't help but frown, and Willow immediately noticed his sour expression. "Hey, don't ya fret none. I know ya blame yourself. Ya think yer responsible for gettin' me into those situations in tha first place. If ah'm being honest, then I guess it's true; I was distracted when you showed up as I was felling the trees, and you startled me when I was on tha bridge last night, but both times you were also there t' save me. I guess I prefer to look on tha bright side of things" Willow said.

And that's why I like you. You're a 'glass half full' kind of stallion Drawbar thought to himself, keeping his expression neutral. He looked at Willow and said "how are you feeling?"

Willow smiled, a worry-smile, and looked away at the forest again. "I'm OK, but... Drawbar ah was so s-scared last night. When that tree fell I was a little shook up at ma close call, but that was just a falling tree and a little tussle in the dirt. When I fell off that bridge and into that cold water I was terrified. I couldn't tell up from down and the current was draggin' me along. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't see, I couldn't--" he stopped, choking up. "D-Drawbar I thought I was gonna d-die..." Willow croaked out, his voice shaky and tears streaming down his face.

Drawbar frowned, wanting nothing more than to comfort the upset buck, but deciding to keep his distance for now.

"W-When I latched onto tha mill wheel, I thought it'd only delay tha inevitable. I was barely holdin' on, and even if I could hold on there was no way I coulda climbed up the riverbank with the current the way it was. Thank Celestia the mill wheel's just there for show now; if it had been spinning, I woulda been done for."

Drawbar nodded. "When I didn't see you in the river, I didn't know what to do. I thought maybe you'd gotten stuck back by the bridge, and I was about to gallop back up there to see if I could find you. If you hadn't cried out for help..." Drawbar trailed off, unwilling to finish the thought.

"If I hadn't cried out, ya woulda run back to the bridge, and wouldn't have heard me. That woulda been tha end..." Willow replied, smiling through the tears. "Drawbar, please take ma word for it when I say that I'm grateful t' ya. I owe you ma life."

He wasn't convinced, but so long as Willow was happy Drawbar wouldn't protest. He smiled, and Willow smiled back, reaching up and wiping the tears off his face. "When I woke up this mornin', Trimmer was in the bed with me. He never left ma side, the whole night. "

"Your brother's a fine pony, Willow. You're lucky to have him, and he's lucky to have you" Drawbar told him.

Willow nodded and smiled, turning to face Drawbar. A comfortable silence fell between them, broken only by the distant singing of birds and the gentle motion of the river. Willow looked happy, content, but Drawbar could tell there was something there behind his eyes. A concern, and Drawbar knew what was coming next, doing his best to prepare for it.

"Drawbar... Why did ya just walk away yesterday, when I wanted to show ya tha mill?" Willow asked, his smile faltering. The rail stallion sighed and looked away, unable to meet Willow's gaze.

"I was acting like an idiot. I was mad for a stupid reason, and I completely blew you off."

"What happened, though?"

Here we go. The moment of truth. "Willow, when you told your brother what happened to your leg, why you were limping, and he expressed his concern and affection for you, hugging you and telling you that he loved you, I... I got jealous" Drawbar explained.

Immediately Willow's expression turned to one of confusion. "Jealous? Are ya'll saying that you were envious of our brotherly love? Can't ya do tha same with Axle? Just up and tell 'im that ya love 'im. T'aint hard."

"Willow, that's not it. Not entirely. I wanted to do what he did with... With you" Drawbar said, finding that he just wanted to stare at the floor of the mill.

Willow blinked, taken aback. "Drawbar, w-what are ya sayin'?" he asked, his voice cracking with a tinge of nervousness and hope that even Drawbar noticed, drawing his attention to Willow and prompting him to look the younger colt in the eyes.

"Willow, I... I'm saying that I like you. I'm...attracted to..." Drawbar trailed off, looking away. "You" he whispered.

Silence befell them once again, neither of them sure of what to say. Drawbar had said all he wanted to, but Willow was at a loss for words. He stared at Drawbar with a blank expression, unsure if he'd actually heard what he thought he heard. He inched closer to Drawbar, his eyes wide. "Y-You...like me? Like, like me?"

Drawbar nodded.

Willow threw his forelegs open and dragged Drawbar into a hug, squeezing him as tight as he could, his chin on the rail buck's shoulder. Drawbar returned the hug, listening to Willow's breathing as they savored the moment between them, the intent of Willow's hug unspoken but unnecessary.

"I like ya too, Drawbar. I... I want t' go out with ya" Willow said.

Drawbar smiled, though it'd be more heard than seen. "I figured as much, since that's what two ponies who like each other do, Willow" he teased. Willow pulled back from the hug, keeping his hooves on Drawbar's shoulders as he looked deep into the other stallion's eyes.

"Well I should hope so! T'aint like we was gonna confess our interest in one another and then not do nothin'!" Willow joked, giggling at his own quip.

Drawbar smiled, scooting ever closer to Willow. "Heh, I thought there was something growing between us. Some kind of bond, but I couldn't be sure. I wasn't sure how you were gonna take it when I told you."

"Ya ain't need to be worryin' none, Drawbar, I'm more than happy t' be with ya, to get t' know ya better. Yer a kind, courageous, handsome stallion" Willow stated.

"And you're a right cute one, Willow" Drawbar said, making Willow blush.

"Jus' cute? That's all I got goin' for me? What about ma personality?" he teased, making Drawbar roll his eyes.

"I like your accent, if that counts."

The two of them shared a laugh and went in to hug again, content to just enjoy each other's company and the warm, peaceful morning sun. Willow hummed contentedly as Drawbar stroked his back with a hoof, the younger buck tightening his grasp in response.

"I'm guessin' that this here'll be the start'a somethin' special" Willow whispered.

"I think you're right, Willow, and I wouldn't want to experience it with anypony else but you."

Author's Note:

This chapter was super sappy. Like, a whole tree's worth of sap. It's insanely cheesy, too. Sap and cheese. Hope you like both!

This wraps up the DrawbarXWillow arc, too, so now it's Axle Box's and Limb Trimmer's turn! What trials and tribulations will they face, and will they even have enough time to get together before the mill colts' father comes back with the coal? Stay tuned to find out!