• Published 11th Oct 2017
  • 620 Views, 12 Comments

Wood and Steel - CodenameOne



Two conductors of the Royal Rail Service are stranded in the woods when their train runs out of fuel, and through their journey to find a way to get moving again, find love in the unlikeliest of places.

  • ...
1
 12
 620

Finale: Wood and Steel

The final day came and went quickly, and now the last of the evening light was fading fast, the sky a quickly darkening purple, the world hung between day and night as the transition came. As night approached, Axle and Drawbar had gone to visit their respective lovers, intent on making the most of what remained of their time together before Log Breaker finally returned.

Drawbar had already gone off to see Willow, who had taken him somewhere else on the estate, so it was just Axle and Trimmer in the east wing of the manor. Axle trotted down the hall, past the guest rooms, and around the corner to the two bedrooms of the mill colts. He approached the first door and raised a hoof, quietly knocking on it.

"It's open" he heard from within, faint. Axle pushed the door open and found Trimmer sitting on his bed, looking at his photo album, a smile on his face. His eyes dry, unmarred by any crying. He looked up at Axle as the conductor closed the door, returning the smile.

"How are you?" Axle asked as he went over to the Unicorn's bed, sitting down next to him. He inched closer, their shoulders and hooves touching, and looked down at the photo album, the pages dominated by pictures of Trimmer's mother.

"I'm well. Better, actually. Just looking at some pictures of mom. It still hurts. It'll always hurt. But with you around?" Trimmer said, his smile growing. "Things will be better."

Axle nuzzled Trimmer and nodded. "That's good. I'm glad to hear it."

"So, has Drawbar run off someplace with Willow? I suspect those two went out for a stroll around the grounds, given how much Willow enjoys the outdoors."

"Oh I'm sure they're around. Drawbar went out 'bout a half hour ago, so I guess it's just tha two of us here" Axle replied.

Trimmer smirked. "I should hope you're not getting any ideas about that."

Axle went stiff, his face turning a light red, a perturbed look on his face. "Certainly not" he said dryly, which made Trimmer giggle, a sound that Axle had come to thoroughly enjoy hearing. Though at the moment he couldn't find the time to appreciate it.

"I'm kidding, Axle. I wouldn't dream of it this early in our relationship" Trimmer said. He turned his attention back to the photo album, sighing wistfully. "I wish you could've met her."

Composing himself Axle looked down at the open book, again struck by Cherry Tree's beauty. Being the way he was, he wouldn't have been attracted to her, but even he could recognize a beautiful mare when he saw one. It was her eyes, really; so vibrant and full of life. "I'm sure she was a great pony."

"She was" Trimmer said forlornly, a sigh escaping his mouth.

Axle reached up and put his hoof on Trimmer's, squeezing it lightly. They looked in to each other's eyes, Axle smiling comfortingly. "She still is. Even gone, she's still a great pony. I'm sure, wherever she is, she's proud of you and Willow. Happy for you both."

Trimmer smiled back and leaned in to nuzzle Axle, their noses coming to each other's cheeks. They stayed like that for a moment, content to just bask in each other's presence. When Axle pulled back Trimmer's smile was still there, but in his eyes, worry.

"Axle... We haven't discussed how we're going to handle seeing each other, with you always out on the railroad."

Axle nodded glumly. "Been thinkin' about that. Drawbar and I live together, but I make enough money with the RRS that we could get our own place. But, I bet ya'll would want to stay on the mill."

"I can't just sit on my hooves all day" Trimmer replied.

"Don't worry, Trim. We'll figure somethin' out" Axle reassured him, his hoof back on Trimmer's. The two of them shared a nuzzle one last time, Axle leaving a tender kiss on Trimmer's cheek before he pulled back. When he did, he saw that Trimmer's face had turned a deep crimson, the color muted by his ocher coat. Axle snickered, amused by Trimmer's extreme reaction.

"I... I love you" Trimmer whispered, turning away shyly.

"And I you, Trim."


Drawbar and Willow had gone for a walk that night, the two of them idly trotting around the estate. They came upon the stone bridge that spanned the river, coming to a stop on it and sitting by the right-hoof wall that acted as the railing, facing the river. Drawbar smiled confidently at Willow, who could only blush and sheepishly smile back.

"Since ya'll came into ma life, it's been a maelstrom of confusin' emotions; fear, doubt, longing... Happiness. Ah was nearly crushed by a tree, I got rained on so bad I was soaked t' tha bone, and ah darn near drowned... But ah don't regret a thing, because now ah have you" Willow said quietly.

"To think we never would've met had our train not run out of coal. Hay, we were actually just gonna wait it out for a search party from the RRS, but I saw your mill on our map, and decided to try my luck. There may have been no coal to spare, but I think we got lucky in another way" Drawbar commented.

"Ah can't disagree. I'm so glad that ah met ya, and got to get to know ya well enough for th' two'a us t' fall in love. Nothing's ever felt as amazin' as this does."

"Try not to get too cheesy, Willow" Drawbar teased, nuzzling the younger buck.

Willow rolled his eyes. "Truth ain't cheesy; ah love you, Drawbar, and I wouldn't give this up for anything in all of Equestria."

"Mmm, I guess that means you'd give this up for something outside Equestria, then."

"Uh! As much as ah do love you, yer a darn teasin' rascal. Yer built like a tank and as grizzled as a gizzard, but every time ya'll open yer mouth you prove yerself to be a big clown" Willow said, resting his head on Drawbar's shoulder.

"Nothing wrong with that!"

Silence came over them, permeated only by the soft running of the river below them, the water reflecting the pale moonlight, twilight finally gone and the last rays of the sun no more. The moon was full, providing more than enough light for the two stallions to see by.

"You know, I guess I should be serious long enough for me to say 'I love you too', sooo... I love you too, Willow" Drawbar suddenly said, prompting Willow to quietly gasp in surprise at the sudden proclamation before he blushed, pulling away.

"I... I figured that ya did, but it's a mite different actually hearin' it. Ah'm so lucky to have you."

"You sure are" Drawbar quipped, leaning forward against the stone wall. "But... How are we gonna make this work in the long run?"

"Ya mean how're we supposed t' be together when yer always on the train? Well, I was thinking ah could move off the mill. Trimmer could handle it all by himself, and ah ain't restless like he is. Ah wouldn't have no trouble settlin' down. Just...not in a big city. Too much noise" Willow explained.

"Axle and I live in Canterlot right now, so I bet that wouldn't work" Drawbar said, thinking. "Well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. I'll be sure to write you as much as I can, Willow."

"Thank you, Drawbar."


The night was barely an hour old when Log Breaker returned home, a surplus of coal in his cart. He unhitched himself just outside the door and went inside to find his two sons and their train friends on the couches in the foyer, each sitting together with one of the two stallions. At the sound of the door opening Willow tore off the couch and ran up to his father, embracing him. "Welcome home, daddy!" he exclaimed, Log Breaker happily returning the hug.

"I told you he was a daddy's colt" Trimmer whispered to Axle.

"I think it's rather endearing, actually" Axle replied.

Log Breaker stepped back, his son dropping to his hooves. "Did ya have a nice trip, daddy?"

"Oh yes, it was fine. The weather was much better than it was last time; I didn't have to make any unscheduled stops" Log Breaker said. "And I have the coal for the fine conductors of the Royal Rail Service, so I guess this is goodbye then."

Drawbar nodded. "I'm afraid it is. We'll have to double-time it to Appleloosa if we have any hope of getting there before tomorrow night."

"But we will see you both again sometime, hmm? What with Willow being involved with you, Mr. Drawbar."

Willow blushed, his ears folding back. "Daaddy, don't embarrass me like that" he protested.

Log Breaker reached out with a hoof and pulled his son closer to him, tousling his hair. "Oh Willow, there's no need to be ashamed! Drawbar is a fine, handsome stallion, and I'm sure the two of you will live a life of happiness together!" he stated, releasing his earth son. "But...what about you, Trimmer?"

Axle and Trimmer shared a look, nodding to each other. "Axle and I are together, yes."

Log Breaker clapped his hooves together. "Splendid! Splendid! I wish there was time to serve dinner for the two of you, but I suppose it'll have to wait for another time. Here, Mr. Drawbar and Axle, your coal is just outside. I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful."

"Oh, I'm sure we'll get an earful from the RRS about being late, but I'm sure everything will be alright" Drawbar said, getting up from the couch and approaching Willow and his father. Axle followed, Trimmer right beside him the entire way.

Willow looked at Drawbar and bit his lip, wishing there was more time. "Uh, daddy... There is something else we need t' talk about" Willow said.

"Don't worry, Willow. Your brother and I can run the mill ourselves" Log Breaker said with a smile. It didn't take long for him to realize Trimmer wanted to talk, too, and assuredly about the same thing. "Hmm, actually, I suppose we will have to talk. You two say goodbye to your friends; I'll be in the kitchen."

As Log Breaker trotted off each of the four stallions faced their respective partners, embracing and holding them for a moment.

"Goodbye, Willow. I love you."

"Ah love you too, Drawbar."

"This is not goodbye. Rather, an intermission, until the time we are together again. I love you, Axle."

"And I you, Trimmy."

With all the goodbyes said they all pulled out of their hugs, Drawbar and Axle staying their hooves for just a moment before reluctantly trotting out the door and sealing it behind them, gone into the night to return to their train.

Willow sighed and looked at his brother, who smiled reassuringly.

"We'll be with them one day, Willow" Trimmer stated. "Come on, let's go talk to dad."

The two of them turned and cantered into the kitchen, finding their father sat down with a bottle of ale, lightly sipping it from a small glass. He waved his colts over, the two coming up before him. "Goodbyes are always the hardest part, but there is always the knowledge that you will see them again" Log Breaker said. He set his glass down and focused his attention on his sons. "Now, what is it my young bucks wish to discuss?"

Willow took the initiative. "W-Well, ya'll know that ah want to move out, to be closer to Drawbar, but... What about Trimmer? Ah mean, are you sure ya'll be OK tending the mill by yerselves?"

"Willow, I've told you before, we'd be fine" Trimmer answered.

Log Breaker nodded. "Oh yes, the two of us would have no trouble with the mill if you left. But... What about you, Trim? Hmm? Don't you want to be with Axle?"

Trimmer looked away and idly kicked a hoof back and forth, unsure of what to say. It was true he wanted to be with Axle, or at least closer, but there was no way he could give up life on the mill. "I... I'm restless, dad. I can't just sit around all day. But Axle can't just give up his career with the RRS. I'm...not sure what to do."

Log Breaker nodded and hummed thoughtfully, pouring another glass full of the ale. As the three of them sat in silence, the muffled, distant sound of a train horn caught their ears, signalling the departure of the Little Ember. "I only want for you two to be happy. Willow's already taken care of, but your happiness is as equally important, Trim" Log Breaker said. He tapped a hoof against the table, lost in thought. "What if I opened a second mill? You two pick the city."

Trimmer and Willow shared a look, confused. "A second mill? Could you afford such a thing? And what would you do without us here to help?" Trimmer asked.

"With the increased revenue from the second mill, of course I could afford it. The startup cost wouldn't be too much of a burden, either. We are the biggest supplier of lumber for Baltimare, after all. I can have a new mill up within a few months, and the two of you can run it. That way you'd have a place close to your special someponies, and wouldn't have to sit on your hooves all the time. It'll just have to be a city that's on the rail line, of course. And don't you worry none about the mill here; there's always ponies looking for work in Baltimare. Hay, I may just help the next generation discover their special talents."

Willow gave it some thought before looking at his brother, who nodded. "I'll go wherever you go, Willow" Trimmer assured him, and after a little more thinking Willow had an answer.

"Ponyville."

Log Breaker nodded and knocked back his glass, drinking the last of it. "It's settled. I'll get started with the preparations first thing in the morning. For now, daddy is mighty tired. Good night, my little ponies."

"Good night, daddy" Willow said, hugging his dad before he left the kitchen, leaving Willow and Trimmer by themselves. Willow looked at his brother, who smiled tiredly. "Happiness found us, Trimmer."

Trimmer nodded. "Happiness found us."


Epilogue


Limb Trimmer wrote a letter to Drawbar and Axle Box the next day, informing them of their father's plan to have a new mill built in Ponyville. Both stallions could only react with excitement, and, after sending letters of their own to Waterwood Mill, agreeing to the idea, requested a transfer to Ponyville with the Royal Rail Service. The request was approved and the two had already settled into life in Ponyville when their coltfriends arrived to see the grand opening of the mill and join them in the hamlet.

With their income from the RRS, Drawbar and Axle bought their own separate places in the small town. With their penchant for reading, Axle and Trimmer moved into a home near the Golden Oaks Library. When it was eventually destroyed by Tirek and replaced with the castle, they were part of the first ponies to visit the grand, new palace(and request books from Princess Twilight's rapidly-expanding collection). The two of them settled down and were happily married in a dual ceremony with Drawbar and Willow on the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration. With Axle's love and guidance, Limb Trimmer was able to overcome his immense guilt caused by his mother's passing, and the two lived a fulfilling life.

Willow and Drawbar moved into a quaint cottage on the outskirts of Ponyville, not far from where the mill was constructed. In spite of Drawbar's incessant teasing and comedic antics, Willow enjoyed a quiet life in the usually peaceful town. After a few years married together, the two stallions adopted a young filly named Rose Bush, whom they came to love with all their hearts. Even through all the trials tribulations of rearing a foal, if asked, Willow and Drawbar would happily say they wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

For Drawbar, Axle Box, Limb Trimmer and Willow Whisper, life was happy, peaceful, and full of love.

The way it was meant to be.

Author's Note:

Woo! So comes to an end the story of two train conductors, and the young lumber mill stallions they fell in love with! From an unexpected stop outside the quiet mill, to the discoveries of love and affection, to the happily-ever-after end, this story has been quite a ride, but now it's time to hop off the sappy train and board another, to destinations unknown!

I want to thank everyone who took the time to read this story! It was a fun little adventure that I really enjoyed writing, and I can only hope you enjoyed reading it!

Comments ( 1 )

9747749

I was afraid of a comment like this, seeing as I know exactly nothing about trains, much less engines. I appreciate the insight, though! Thanks for reading and putting up with my glaring ignorance on steam engines :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment