• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 7,223 Views, 135 Comments

Crystal Vanguard - Benkei Urahara



An accident has sent Gohan to Equestria around the same time as Princess Flurry Hearts birthday. The problem is that he has no idea what that accident was.

  • ...
12
 135
 7,223

Spikes Defiant Roar! This is Super Saiyan Gohan!

Author's Note:

I have a poll open on my sister profile on Fanfiction, under the same name that I'd like a bit of help with if anyone wants to check it out. And check out my other stories while you're at it!

Gohan looks over the mountainous expanse, his eyes closed before he smiles, turning to see Diserex standing on another rock spire above him, grinning in return. They both rushed off their perches, clashing loudly and trading blows. They separate and power up with twin cries, Gohan transforming before they slam their fists together. An explosion of light covers the area before The Crystal Vanguards logo appears.

Last time on Crystal Vanguard, having recovered from both his crash and his battle with the Changeling General Diserex, Gohan was enjoying his time with the Crystal Royalty’s daughter, Flurry Heart.

During his time in the Empire, Gohan had held true to his promise to teach Flurry how to properly use the Power Pole, running her through a series of what he believed to be easy drills that normally left her panting, tired, sweaty, and sore. But even in that short span of time, they got results. Seemed Gohan was a pretty competent teacher.

And in that time she’d started teaching Gohan how to be a kid, including, but not limited to, pranking her father, her mother, Twilight and the other princesses, Pinkie Pie, Dash, who then helped them prank the others. They did a lot of pranking. Which normally ended with Gohan Instant Transmission-ing them out of the area.

Despite the fun they were having, a depressing thought hung over them both. Twilight and the rest of the Elements of Harmony were going to be leaving and Gohan was going with them to find a way home.

But, Shining Armor had an idea to fix that for both his daughter and the savior of his kingdom.

“I know you were holding back when you fought Diserex, whether for your own reasons or because you were wounded, I don’t know and I don’t really care. You’re strong. That’s why I want you to take Flurry Heart with you to Ponyville. Help her grow, protect her.” Armor looked down at the shocked boy, smiling. “Be her friend.”

Gohan was shocked, yes, but he was happy to have a chance to keep his friend. So, after donning his new gi and catching up with the exiting party, he and Flurry caught the train, chugging along to their new home. What awaits them in the small town? Find out now!


The Crystal Empire with the six Elements of Harmony floating around it appears and the chapter's title fades in.


Spikes Defiant Roar! This is Super Saiyan Gohan!


Gohan looked around the little town, a broad grin on his face. Sure, it was small, but this was so much different than anything he’d ever known at home. It was rare that his family left Mount Paoz for anything other than to fight their next battle or to train, so seeing the little town so alive was definitely a welcome change.

Flurry felt much the same, having never come to Ponyville despite her aunts repeated attempts to bring her. She ran to a flower stand, sniffing at a bouquet of orchids, her favorite. Her bodyguard noticed this and smiled softly, whispering to Twilight, who gave a small giggle in response.

Flurry had moved from the flower stand to a small trinket stall, looking over the inventory they had. She was rather engrossed in it, Rainbow standing beside her to make sure she didn’t get ripped off. The young princess turned as she felt someone tap her shoulder, looking straight into the bouquet of orchids, Gohan’s hair peeking over it.

The princess blushed brightly, but took the flowers, kissing her guardian’s cheek. The saiyan chuckled nervously as his cheeks burned bright red. The women in the group all laughed at the adorable display between the two before Spike whistled. “Come on, love birds! Castles over here!”

The looks on the kids faces had the rest of the party laughing loudly, sans Rarity, who simply elbowed her husband in the ribs. “Darling, don’t be mean.” The pregnant woman walked over to Gohan and Flurry. “I’m sure you two want to get settled at the castle, so I won’t hold you up, but I’d love it if you two could join Spike and I for dinner tonight.”

Gohan’s growling stomach made them laugh again before he answered. “Well, I’m up for it, but my schedule is kind of tied to Flurry’s now.” He turned to the princess in question. “How about it, Flurry?”

She sniffed at her orchids again before looking up at the boy. “Huh? O-oh, sorry.” She looked up to Twilight. “Is that okay, Aunt Twily?”

The elder princess smiled lightly, patting her nieces head before looking up at her friend. “I’ll have her by in that new dress you made for her at seven. Is it okay if they stay the night with you? I have some things I’d like to get done tonight.”

Flurry gasped a bit at this, then looked up at the pregnant fashionista, her friend standing behind her with a big grin and his arms behind his head. Rarity giggled lightly as Spike put his arm around her shoulders. “I’ll make up the guest room after we get them set up at the castle. I’m sure Gohan wants to take a look at the library.” The big hopeful eyes of the saiyan was all they needed to confirm this.

Flurry hopped onto Gohan’s back, the male laughing as he took off towards the castle faster than even Rainbow thought he could, pulling the cart holding the princess’s bags behind him with his tail. “Damn. He is hauling.”

The rainbow haired woman and her blonde friend smiled. “Race?” AJ asked, getting into a runners position.

“Thought you’d never ask.” Dash responded with, taking her position.

Twilight rolled her eyes, but charged a magic bolt in her horn, aiming up. “On your marks, get set...” She fired the bolt.

Boom!

Both women launched off the ground, tearing up a chunk of dirt behind them as they ran after Gohan, catching up rather quickly. The saiyan and princess noticed this and Flurry smirked at her bodyguard, the boy smiling back. The princess gave a surprised yelp as she felt Gohan lurch forward, hearing the stone under his feet crack a bit as he started pulling ahead again.

AJ and Dash growled as they opened the throttle to full, keeping up for a moment before the boy simply vanished, leaving nothing but a trail of high speed footprints. The girls looked ahead of them as they ran, seeing a smiling Gohan and a somewhat frazzled looking Flurry Heart waiting for them at the entrance. They got to the gate, panting a bit.

“Well, Ah’ll be. Dash wasn’t kiddin’ when she said ya’ll were fast, Gohan, but I didn’t think you’d be that fast.” said the farm girl, fanning herself with her hat until a cloth was presented to her.

“Here, it might help with the sweat.” Gohan said, smiling kindly as AJ took the handkerchief. She smiled back and pat herself a bit, offering it Rainbow Dash who copied her friend. The martial artist turned to his charge, sweat-dropping a bit as he saw her bent over in the bushes. “Well, you wanted to go faster.” She turned and glared at him for a moment, making the fighter duck and cover before she went back to her puking.

A flash of light caught their attentions, Spike and Twilight appearing from it. The alicorn-blood chuckled a bit as her niece finally stopped, wiping her mouth with her own cloth. “Well, since that’s done, let’s get you two inside so we can get you set up.” She said, pushing the door open.

Gohan and Flurry were awed by the Rainbow Castle’s interior. While not as jaw-dropping as a palace made of crystal, it was still incredible to see. Gohan’s visual tour ended abruptly as he sensed an odd energy… Behind me!

He lashed out with a quick kick, aiming for what he believed to be the gut of the entity, finishing with a back fist. The entity, a male, cried out as he was kicked and again as his nose was struck. He rolled on the floor, holding his face, as his attacker turned and took a stance, waiting for a counter.

“Wait, hold on!” said another voice, the saiyan turning to see Fluttershy running up to them and to the man he’d just floored. The man seemed to be middle-aged with silvery hair on top with darker brown hair on the sides and back of his head. He was rather tall with an odd pair of horns on his head. One was an ivory deer horn and the other was a turquoise goat horn. “Discord, are you okay?” The pegasus-blood woman asked the man, now identified as Discord, as the others crowded around him.

“Uh…?” Gohan had no idea what was happening as Fluttershy helped Discord to his feet.

“I’m fine, my love, just caught off guard. I’ve never had someone sense me as I was jumping.” He said, his voice a bit nasally as he looked at the still tense boy. That boy hit me harder than Tia and Lulu ever did. That’s some power he’s throwing around. “I take it he’s the boy you told me about, Goban?”

Gohan.” the boy and princess said.

“Gohan, yes, I remember now.” He gave a cry as he cracked his nose back into place, Fluttershy trying to dab at the blood that dripped out and him bending down so she could. “A pleasure, my young warrior. I am Discord, Fluttershy’s hubby.”

Gohan paled quickly at this, grabbing the sides of his head. “You’re Fluttershy’s husband?! Oh, crap, I am so sorry! Your energy was weird and it put me on guard, so when I felt it behind me, I just reacted!”

Fluttershy and the rest of the girls giggled. “It’s okay, Gohan. Discord’s pretty tough.” She gave her husband the handkerchief and stepped to the side a bit. “Gohan, Flurry, I’d like to introduce my husband, Discord, the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony.”

The saiyan lifted his brow in confusion. “Chaos and Disharmony? Wouldn’t that make you evil by design?”

“I’m not evil, my boy, just chaotic. I oppose order, not good.” Discord responded with. “And don’t worry about the nose, kiddo, nothing a quick nose job can’t fix.” He snapped his fingers and his nose turned to a red clown nose, giving it a honk and earning some laughter from those in attendance. “Hmmm, funny, but not what I’m looking for.”

He snapped again, his nose turning to a shark, which turned on him. He screamed and snapped again, Gohan and Flurry losing it as they started laughing louder. Discord smirked as he replaced the shark with a Pinocchio nose. “Ah, much better.” The nose grew and he slumped a bit, snapping again and replacing it with a normal nose.

Fluttershy giggled and kissed her husbands cheek. “You’re almost as good at making kids laugh as Pinkie.”

“I aim to please.” He extended his hand to the young man, who’s laughs were trickling into light chuckles. Gohan took his hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you, Gohan.”

“A pleasure, sir.” he said.

Flurry stepped up after she stopped laughing, looking up at Discord with awe filled eyes. “So, you’re Discord? My mom and dad told me about you.”

The chaos spirit knelt down, putting a hand on her head. “And you must be Flurry Heart. Look at you. The last time I saw you, you were barely knee high to an ant. And I should know.” He snapped his fingers and shrank. “Cause that’s how big I am!”

Gohan and Flurry laughed again as Discord un-shrunk himself, Twilight stepping between them. “Alright, let’s get the kids to their rooms so they can get...” She looked around to see Gohan wasn’t standing there anymore. “Gohan? Where’d you Go han?”

Spike snapped and pointed to the doors of the library. They opened them a bit and saw Gohan already nose deep in a book, Percival: A Living Legend by Princess Celestia. Spike smiled, happy to see that their guest seemed to gravitate to his favorite non-comic book.

Twilight giggled a bit as well, looking to her niece next. “Hey, listen, you can go into town for a bit if you’d like.” Her face lit up and she nodded excitedly. “But you stay with Spike and Rarity, understood?” the elder alicorn-blood said sternly.

Flurry pout a bit, but didn’t argue. She knew better than that as it just wouldn’t get her anywhere. She nodded and hugged her aunt before running after Spike, said dragon-blood putting the young princess on his shoulders.

Twilight smiled again before looking at Discord. “Would you mind?” She gestured to the bags at their feet. The man simply smiled and snapped his fingers, the bags vanishing. “Thanks, Discord.”

“Anytime, Twily.” The alicorn-blood gave her friend a deadpanned look as Fluttershy giggled, before yelping as Discord pulled her close. “As for you and I, my dear, I do believe we have a trip to Cloudsdale to take.”

The pegasus-blood woman gasped. “Today’s my mothers birthday and I forgot!”

“That’s why I remembered for you. The kids are dressed and ready and your present is it at the house. All we have to do is pop over there and then pop up to Primrose’s.”

The young woman sighed before pulling Discord down a bit, mashing her lips into his in a short, passionate kiss that had Twilight blushing to see. “You’re amazing, you know that?”

Her husband smiled and gave her a quick kiss in return. “I have my moments. Now, let’s go.” He looked up and gave the princess a two finger salute. “Until we meet again.” He snapped and he and his bride disappeared in a flash of light.

Twilight chuckled and turned from the doorway to the library, walking over to the doors before walking in. She smiled softly as she saw how engrossed he was in the book, leaning over him a bit. “You know, that’s Spikes favorite book you’re reading.”

He looked up, blushing a bit and looking away as he got an eye full of cleavage. “W-well, he has good taste. It’s a great book so far.”

The princess lifted a brow in confusion at his change in attitude, looking down and realizing how much of ‘her’ was on display, her face turning beat red as she stood up straight. “S-sorry.”

“It’s alright. Accidents happen.” Gohan said, returning to his book.

Twilight sat beside him, her wings shifting a bit behind her. “Hey, Gohan?” He hummed in response, turning the page he’d been on. She noticed that in the short time he’d been reading, he’d made a noticeable dent in the thousand plus page book. “I was wondering if I could ask you a few things about the saiyans. What your diets consist of normally, what the average life-span is, things like that. Would you be okay with that?”

He looked up again and smiled, closing the book. “Sure, Twilight, I don’t mind at all, but I’m pretty sure you can guess what our diets consist of. Just about anything we can fit in our stomachs.”

They both shared a laugh at that. “Well, one question I have is if saiyan’s can change form. Flurry told me when you saved her that your eyes had changed color, and the princesses were talking about you holding something back.”

The fighter stiffened a bit at this before giving a nervous chuckle. “You’re pretty observant, Twilight. Yeah, we saiyans can transform, though as far as we know, we only have two forms. Our Oozaru forms and Super Saiyan.”

Twilight tilted her head a bit. “Oozaru? Isn’t that the monster that killed your Grandpa Gohan?”

Gohan’s face fell a bit. “Yeah. It’s a powerful form we saiyans take during the full moon if we have our tails.”

“Wait, then that means...” Twilight cupped her hands over her mouth.

“It means my father was the monster that killed his grandpa. And I’m not so different. In our Oozaru state, we’re ten times more powerful, but because me and my father descend from the lower class of saiyans, we can’t control ourselves when we’re like that. We just start destroying everything around us.

“But, one silver lining is that our Super Saiyan forms are much stronger.” Gohan said hopefully.

“Oh? Super Saiyan, huh? Do you need a full moon for that too or is it something else?”

He opened his mouth to start the explanation, but was cut off by a loud, lion like roar, followed by a deeper, more powerful roar. Both the saiyan and princess jumped to their feet, Gohan closing his eyes as he began searching for Flurry’s energy. “Crap baskets. Where’s Flurry?”

“She’s with Spike.” Twilight said. “You don’t think-”

“I don’t think, I know. Whatever that was, it’s attacking Flurry!”


Spike smiled as he watched Rarity help Flurry to stir up her milkshake. The fashionista was showing the fledgling princess the best ways to mix her chocolate chips into the new confection in front of her. “Flurry, darling, is this really the first time you’ve ever had a milkshake?”

The crystal princess nodded. “Mama always told me I’d get big and chubby if I ate too many.”

“Hey, with how you move, I doubt that’s much a problem.” Spike said, chowing down on an emerald and root beer float. “The real question is, why didn’t Shining slip you one every once in awhile? You’re eating his favorite right now. Mint chocolate chip.”

Flurry’s eyes became downcast as she just stared at the dairy product. “Papa’s not home very often anymore. Between being a guard and being a ruler, he doesn’t have a lot of time to just be a dad. I’m not mad at him for it, I understand, and Mama’s the best, it’s just that...” She trailed off, sniffling a bit, Rarity pulling her into a gentle hug.

“Shhh, it’s okay, darling. Let’s eat our milkshakes and don’t worry.” The soon-to-be mother bent a bit to whisper. “It’ll be our secret.”

Her and Flurry giggled before diving into their milkshakes, trading a few words after with Spike and Pinkie, who may or may not have been planning a ‘Welcome to Ponyville, Flurry and Gohan/Thanks for saving us from the Changelings’ party. The dragon-blood smiled as he watched them, wondering if they were in for anything like this in their future. If we are, I’m fine with that.

The little group decided to walk around the newly set-up spring stands, Spike sitting Flurry on his shoulder so she could get a better look at everything. Many comments were made about how much she looked like she could be Spike and Rarity’s daughter, the girls giggling each time.

The dragon-blood turned to see Sweetie Belle running up to them as they were picking out some new fabric for a dress, the man running forward and catching the young unicorn-blood as she fell. A trail of blood followed behind her as well as a line of it running down her right arm.

“Sweetie, what happened?!” Rarity was on her husband’s side in an instant, Flurry Heart doing what she could to help by using her magic to try and bind the wound on Sweetie’s arm.

“Pandemonium and Entropy. We were watching them and they ran into the Everfree. We told Discord and Fluttershy to go on and that we’d have Twilight send the boys their way once we got them back.” She hissed in pain as Rarity finished off the binding. “We chased after them, but they ran into a-” A monstrous roar tore the peaceful towns air asunder as the people began running for cover.

A very angry and very, very, large manticore was barreling towards them at full speed, the other two members of the CMC doing everything they could to slow it down, whether through Apple Blooms impressive strength or Scootaloo’s equally impressive aerial acrobatics, but to no avail. Spike froze when he saw the beast. It had only one eye.

That’s the manticore that killed Mac. “Flurry.” The princess looked at her ‘uncle’, fear clear on her face. “Did Gohan give you a way to call him if you got separated?” She nodded, then screamed as Rarity and Sweetie yanked her to the side out of the way of the monster, which crashed into Sugarcube Corner, groaning a bit as it was dazed.

Spike shook his head, a small trickle of blood running down the side of his face where he struck the ground rolling. His pupils shrank to thin slits as he saw that the manticore was still targeting Sweetie and that she was being protected. By the princess and his wife.

The beast roared as it tore at the barrier Flurry was conjuring, the young alicorn-blood panting as sweat ran down her face. Holding a barrier spell wasn’t overly difficult as long as it wasn’t too large and you didn’t have to do it for long, but having that barrier constantly attacked, having to focus magic into the spots being attacked, while also trying to keep all the people behind her from panicking, all of it was taking its toll on the girl.

She noticed off to the side that Applejack, Pinkie, and Rainbow Dash had joined the fray, ushering as many people away from the monster as they could. Dash rushed in like a bolt of lightning, striking the manticore in its side, sending it rolling to the side. It retaliated with a swipe of its tail, hitting home as it connected with the center of her chest, the pegasus-blood woman screaming as she was plowed through the Sugarcube Corners front wall.

An even more deafening roar tore through the air, shaking the window panes that still remained. The people and beast froze, looking to see the perpetrator, the young dragon-blood Spike. His wings were extended to their full length, his body tensing and relaxing every few seconds. His hands clenched tight, the claws at the end of each finger biting into the soft skin of his palm, his green eyes burning with the deep fire that raged within all his people.

“Over here, you ugly, over-sized rug! You took Mac away from us, there’s no way I’m letting you do that again!” He roared again, causing everyone to cover their ears.

The manticore turned and snarled at the male, earning one in return. Spike was challenging the beast to a match of dominance, one predator to another, and the creature was accepting. With a roar, the two launched themselves at each other, the dragon-blood striking the manticore in its gut as it reared up. They rolled over the ground for a moment, the manticore crying out in pain as Spikes claws and fangs tore into it, the dragon-blood sinking his teeth into the base of his prey’s throat.

The scorpion tail of the chimera came around, stabbing at air as the dragon-blood took to the air, more than smart enough to know he wouldn’t survive a dose of manticore poison. He dove down with a hard flap to push him down faster, driving his heel into the monsters face. It gave a furious roar as its slammed into the ground.

Everyone watched in stunned silence as two Equestria’s most viscous predators tried to kill each other. Most of them had never seen the kind and courteous Spike so ferocious before, so feral and powerful.

Spike gave a feral roar of triumph, the roar being cut short as pain exploded from his gut. He looked down slowly, seeing the tip of the manticore’s tail sunk deep into his stomach. He could feel the cold feeling that the monsters venom brought with it begin seeping into him.

Rarity screamed as she watched the monster pull its tail out of her husband's belly, rolling onto its feet before stalking up to the paralyzed drake.

Flurry couldn’t watch anymore. She ripped herself out of Rarity and Sweetie Belle’s arms, ignoring their screaming for her to come back, stopping in front of the downed drake.

“F-Flurry? What the Tartarus are you doing? Get out of here!” Spike shouted, fighting the poison long enough to sit up a bit to look at the girl.

The princess shut her eyes tight, tears running down her cheeks before she screamed, a small red stick appearing in front of her. “I’ve always been taken care of, always protected! I had to watch as you were all hurt protecting me from the changelings! I don’t want to ever feel that helpless again! Power Pole, Extend!” She cried, the magic staff’s end smashing into the chimera’s snout. The manticore roared in pain as it reared back. She spun the pole over her head before running head long at the beast, grasping the shaft of her weapon tight.

She screamed as she slid to the side of the still stunned manticore, rapping it in the head quickly before it turned, slapping her to the side. The alicorn-blood girl rolled into the wall, her left eye stinging a bit. Flurry lightly touched her head, looking at her hand. Well I did want to experience new things. I guess bleeding from the head could count.

The princess gasped as a shadow fell over her. She looked up to see the manticore snarling at her as it advanced, drool dripping from it’s maw. Fear ran through her blood like ice, the girl shivering as her body refused to move. Only one word came to mind as the beast lifted a massive clawed paw to finish her, closing her eyes at the last second.

Gohan!!

The chimera roared in pain as something slammed into its side, sending it flying across the small towns main road. Flurry opened her eyes to see the kanji for demon in front of her. Her eyes focused more and she smiled, seeing her savor. “Gohan.” She said before she felt her head get a bit warm she looked up to see her crying aunt running a hand over her wound, the purple aura of her magic encompassing her horn and hand.

“Exciting first day, huh?” she heard her guardian say before he turned back to the manticore, the creature slowly standing, shaking its head lightly. “Twilight.” The young woman looked up at the boy. “Get over to Rarity and put the strongest shield you can make up. Things are about to get rocky.”

The elder princess nodded before taking her niece's hand, teleporting them over to Rarity and her sister, immediately throwing up a dense magic shield.

The one eyed monster roared as it turned to Gohan, who only glared back. The ground began to shake and crack under the boys feet. “You asked me before if it was something different that let us transform into Super Saiyans. It is. A powerful emotion. There are many different ways to achieve the form, but there is one common factor for us all.” The beast started tearing down the road at Gohan, the saiyan standing strong, silent.

As the predator closed in on the saiyan, he loosed with a wrath filled shout, the resulting blast of air lifting the manticore off the ground. Gohan’s eyes shifted to teal, his muscles bulged and his hair changed to sunburst blonde before he gave a louder scream, a massive twister of energy erupting around him, sending the manticore flying back again. The Super Saiyan gave one final cry, the windows of the stores and houses either cracking or shattering as chunks of ground were ripped up and floated around him.

A dense, gold, flame-like aura surged around his body, a large crater under his feet. Flurry was struck silent by this. I-it’s like… he’s like one of the angels in Auntie Celestia’s books.

The saiyan glowered at the now frightened hunter. He took a step forward and the manticore took a step back. The fighter smirked a bit, then vanished from sight, reappearing under the beast, his fist buried into its gut. He gave a short shout of exertion, launching it upward, chasing after and flying above it, punching downward into its back, turning it into a yellow blur.

It smashed into the ground with a mighty crash, shaking the town. The beast groaned in pain as it slowly stood, a massive wind picking up around the crater. They all looked up to see two orbs of energy forming in Gohan’s hands, yellow sparks racing up and down his arms. “Last chance! Turn around and leave, and never return!”

Now, a manticore obviously can’t speak, but they are a good bit smarter than most of the beasts that wander the Everfree. This one in particular was rather intelligent and it knew when it was beaten. But, it was nothing if not proud. It gave a loud, defiant roar, as if challenging the super warrior.

Gohan sighed lightly, before his aura erupted around him again, the orbs of energy growing. “Don’t say I didn’t give you the chance.” He aimed his body downward and dove down at a speed that even Rainbow couldn’t see. He gave one final battle cry as he plowed into the manticore, the energy in his hands exploding outward. The people of Ponyville looked away from the light of the blast, only Flurry noticing that Gohan was flipping out of the light dome.

He landed in front of the crater, a dark expression on his face before he exhaled slowly, the light from his energy fading away, showing that nothing but the chimera’s tail and the crater remained. He clapped his hands twice before turning to the crater, bowing to it, showing the fallen due respect.

Gohan turned to see Rarity holding a dying Spike in her arms. The saiyan ran over, pulling out his capsule case. “Please be in here… Yes!” He popped open one of the capsules, a small burlap bag appearing in his hand. He reached into it and pulled out a small bean, placing it at Spikes mouth. He watched as the dragon-blood pulled into his mouth and started chewing. “Miss Rarity, rub his throat so he can swallow.”

The unicorn-blood had no idea what he was doing or what that bean was, but after that display of power, she wasn’t about to question him. He began gently rubbing her husband’s throat, watching as slowly swallowed the remnants of the chewed up bean. Almost immediately, Spike opened his eyes. “H-hey, I don’t hurt anymore.” He said in surprise, looking down at his gut to see that the wound had healed, leaving no trace of it behind. “But… I don’t-”

Gohan smiled and held up the bag. “Senzu beans. They can heal any wound and restore your stamina to full. Though, I didn’t know if it’d work on poison. And I don’t have very many of these left it seems. Kinda glad you didn’t waste one on me.”

Spike opened his mouth to question why Gohan put his life on the line for a ‘maybe’, but he was cut off by the over-zealous hugs of his wife, sister-in-law, and superior/sister. “Uh, guys, it’s nice to know you all love me, but I think you’re about to finish the job for that manticore.” He said in a strained manner, causing the women to back off, minus Rarity, who refused to let go.

“Gohan!” The saiyan turned to see a starry eyed Flurry staring at him. “How did you change like that?! It’s so amazing! You’re way stronger now!”

Before he could answer, the Super Saiyan heard Twilight’s voice. “So,” He turned to look at the elder princess. “That was a Super Saiyan, huh? I gotta say, that was pretty amazing. If ten times is your Oozaru forms power, I don’t think we have much to worry about.”

Gohan chuckled nervously as he powered down. “Well, actually, the max output of my Super Saiyan form is fifty times that of my base power. That was only about six percent, three times my base’s max.”

That was six percent?!” shouted the present Elements and dragon-blood, Flurry too shocked to say anything.

“Yeah, I know, it was a bit much for that, but I figured you’d like seeing it in action rather than just have me tell you about it.”

A-a bit much?! Just how powerful is this kid? Spike found himself wondering, suddenly in awe once more at the boys strength.

“Hey, Gohan?” He turned to Flurry, smiling at her before flicking her in the forehead. “Ow! What was that for?”

“Why didn’t you use your flare spell? You’re lucky I heard that things roar, next time you may not get that lucky.” He said, a frown on his face.

She glared at him, still rubbing her forehead. “Well, sorry, but I was kinda preoccupied with a giant manticore trying to eat me!” She crossed her arms and pouted, opening an eye to see if Gohan felt bad for flicking her, only to see that stern look still on his face. She sighed and then remembered what she originally planned on asking. “You said there was one thing in common for each Super Saiyan. What is it?”

Gohan wasn’t surprised by the question, only sighing a bit in response. “Rage. The common factors are rage and pain. My father once described it as being ‘pure of heart and awakened by fury’.” Flurry was a bit shocked by this, but then she remembered what his eyes looked like when he saved her the first time, so his anger being the trigger made some sense.

“Me and him trained in a special room where time moved differently, one day out here was a year in there, for the solitary purpose of mastering Super Saiyan. Now, I can transform in and out with no effort on my part and can even hold it as if it were my most natural form.”

“Then what was all the screaming for?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“The manticore” the boy answered. “I was hoping by putting on that little show, it’d have just backed off and ran back to its home.” He looked at the crater again, looking away after a moment. “I didn’t want to have to do what I did. Taking life should only be a last resort for beings too foolish or evil to listen to words.”

Next thing to happen was Gohan was once again hugged by the busty ball of energy that was Pinkie Pie. “Sweet Celestia, Gohan, that was amazing! You came in and just kicked that manticore like it was nothing! Then you were all like ‘RAHHHHH!!’ and the manticore was all like ‘EEK, AAAHHHH!!!’ and then you were like ‘BOOOOOOM!’. That was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! And I’ve seen Rainbow’s Sonic Rainboom!”

“Sonic Rainwhat?” Gohan asked before turning to the Sugarcube Corner, frowning a bit as he saw a man, woman, and two children around his age trying to piece what they could back together. He walked over, causing the group around to look at him oddly before he started lifting the larger bricks that were still one piece, putting them on the wall in places they’d fit.

The man looked over at the boy. “Thank you, but you’ve done enough for us all as it is, there’s no need-”

“If I’d gotten here before things got out of hand, you wouldn’t have to be doing this to begin with. This is the least I can do.” Gohan interrupted with a smile.

The man smiled and started picking up more bricks, the kids running over to the boy, the other boy, Pound Cake, rapid fire asking him questions about who he was, how he did that ‘blonde hair’ thing, how he got so strong, and many others. The girl, Pumpkin Cake, on the other hand, simply took his hand, trying to pull him to what remained of the story, offering him handmade cupcakes for saving Ponyville.

Flurry growled a bit as the girl cozied up to her bodyguard. What made it worse was the kind smile he had while they were talking. Gohan excused himself from the girl and her family, the Cakes he’d been told, walking back to his group.

“Miss Rarity, are you okay?” he asked, concerned.

Rarity blinked a few times in surprise. “Oh, of course, darling, I’m fine. I was scared when Spike got stung. Manticore venom isn’t something you just shake off and it isn’t a quick killer.”

Gohan looked at the near sobbing Applejack. “That manticore. It was the one that killed your brother, wasn’t it?” She nodded, hugging Apple Bloom close. Gohan turned and walked back to the crater, grabbing the manticore’s tail before presenting it to the cowgirl. “You should have this. I know it’s a bit hard, but a trophy of some sort to have may make it a bit easier to deal with.”

Applejack sniffled a bit, but took the manticore tail, nodding a bit. Gohan smiled softly, returning the hugs the Apple sisters gave him, though he blushed a bit when Apple Bloom hugged him.

Flurry watched everything happen, her jealousy forgotten for a moment as she began running the events of earlier through her mind. How easily she could have died, how scared she was. She didn’t want to feel helpless anymore, she already made that promise to herself. Now she needed to make it final. “Gohan.” She called out firmly.

The martial artist turned to his charge, an eyebrow raised. “I… I felt so helpless when that manticore attacked. I felt the same way when everyone was fighting the changelings for me. I don’t want to feel that way again!”

Gohan stared at the alicorn-blood for a moment before it clicked in his head. He smiled a bit. Well, Cadance did ask me to teach Flurry a bit about protecting herself.

The saiyan looked to the cowgirls by his side. “Miss Applejack, do you by chance have any land you need tilled? The bigger the better.”

Applejack looked at him as he’d grown a second head. “Well, yeah, it’s almost time to start planting the seeds for next years crop. Why?”

He turned to Rainbow Dash. “Do you have any remedial tasks you may need help with, something that would give a good workout.”

The flier took a thinking stance for a moment. “Well, there is Derpy’s old job. She’s out on vacation right now. She’s Ponyville’s mailwoman, and we get a lot of mail, so it’s a pretty good workout.”

He looked next to Spike and Rarity. “Make tonight’s dinner a big one, if you don’t mind. Flurry’s gonna need the energy.”

The princess’s eyes widened. “Th-then you’ll-”

“I’ve never trained anyone before, so I’ll be using the same methods Piccolo used on me with some of what my dad went through during his training.” He turned to Flurry, a serious expression. “This will be the hardest thing you’ve ever done, so I hope you’re ready.” He pulled a capsule from his box, handing it Rarity. “This is the outfit I had on the other day when I came here. Think you can make it Flurry’s size? I’ll help you to the add the weights.”

The fashionista smiled and nodded. “I’ll have it ready by tonight.”

“No need to push yourself.” Spike said with a smile, putting his arm around her shoulders. “I’ll help you with it. Least I can do for him.”

Gohan smiled and turned back to Flurry, who was smiling so bright, it was a wonder people weren’t going blind. He smiled back and pat her head. “I hope you know what you’re getting into.” His answer was a tight hug, one he returned.

After a fierce life or death battle with a manticore, the very same that killed Applejack’s brother, Princess Flurry has had enough of being coddled and cared for. How will Gohan train this young royal and keep her safe at the same time? Find out next time on Crystal Vanguard!


Gohan flies in as a Super Saiyan, landing and powering down with a broad smile on his face before catching a falling Flurry Heart, the young girl wrapping her arms around the boys neck and kissing his cheek as the logo for Crystal Vanguard appears overhead.

Gohan: Hey guys! It’s me, Gohan!

Flurry Heart: And Flurry!

Gohan: Flurry, it’s time to wake up!

Flurry Heart: incomprehensible mumbling

Gohan: grabs her sheets and pulls them out from under her.

Flurry Heart: Ahhhh! What, what is it?!

Gohan: Come on, time for training.

Flurry Heart: Next time on Crystal Vanguard! Helping out the Apples! First day of training! Come on, Gohan. Can’t we sleep a bit longer?