• Published 3rd Sep 2017
  • 1,353 Views, 50 Comments

This is the Last Train Car - Unwhole Hole



Berry Punch discovers a train running late at night- -and rides it.

  • ...
2
 50
 1,353

Chapter 3: The Inexplicable

Contrary to popular belief among the ponies of Ponyville, Berry Punch did in fact have a job. Like the vast majority of earth-ponies, she worked in the agricultural industry. Specifically, she was in charge of managing the imports of her family’s products into the greater Ponyville market. The climate was unfortunately quite poor for the growing of most berries and grapes, but the demand was high for fresh produce, jams, and especially punch.

Because of this occupation, Berry Punch almost invariably worked at home late in the afternoon, usually over a glass of punch. Or three. On this particular day, she had already reached the fifth glass but had barely managed to balance a single invoice. Every time she would try, she would get distracted, remembering vividly what had happened on the train and how none of it made sense.

She needed to get to work, but eventually just pushed her paperwork to the edges of her desk and groaned. Nothing was getting done. Her mind only seemed to want to focus on what had happened to her the night before. It was in Berry’s nature to rationalize, to find the logical reasons for any event. It was an aspect of her personality that made her a good businessmare, and one that had never been infuriating until now.

While she was sitting and thinking- -but coming to no clear conclusions- -she heard her door open. After a few minutes, Sparkler entered, back from her job organizing Mayor Mare’s reelection campaign. She was dressed in a suit with her hair tied back, and was carrying a briefcase.

“Hey,” she said, setting the briefcase down. She looked at Berry’s paperwork. “Do you need help with that?”

“I don’t have the budget to pay you.”

“You don’t need to pay me. I like organizing things.” She picked up a paper and winced. “Wow. A triple order of canned units for the retirement home. And pie season is just warming up. Do you think you can get these orders filled?”

Berry snatched the paper away from Sparkler. “I always do,” she snapped.

“Snippy! Berry, I’m just trying to help.” Sparkler untied her mane and allowed it to hang down past her horn as usual. “Did your train ride go poorly?”

Berry sat up, and started opening her mouth to speak- -but then closed it. “It was…unusual.”

“Unusual? In what way?”

“I’m not sure yet,” said Berry, softly. She looked up at Sparkler. “I’m going again tonight.”

“Again? Seriously? It’s at two in the morning. That’s a lot, even for you.”

“Something happened. I couldn’t review it properly.”

“Something?” Sparkler paused. “Did a stallion pinch your flank again?”

“No.”

“Oh. So it was a mare this time.”

“NO. Not that. It’s just…” Berry paused, and then shook her head. “I don’t know. I’m just going to do it again. I have to be sure.”

“Be sure of what?”

Berry Punch did not answer- -because she did not even know herself.