• Published 10th Dec 2017
  • 711 Views, 32 Comments

Star Wars: Age Of Redemption - sylamorase1410



Something new has found its way to Equestria, and it doesn't want to make friends.

  • ...
 32
 711

Chapter 4: All We Need

Darth Karnis is on the move. His first foray into Ponyville was surprisingly anticlimactic, however, little more than a shopping trip. Twilight and her friends are stymied at the Sith Lord's behavior, it doesn't seem to match the initial encounters, in fact for the most part he seemed quite civil. Perhaps there is some hope after all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy crept through the Everfree Forest. She had found the stranger's camp deserted and left another bag of supplies. After all, he did seem at least somewhat grateful for the first gift, perhaps a few more would sweeten his disposition.

It left one major problem, however. If the stranger wasn't home, then where was he? He didn't seem to take too kindly to intrusion so Fluttershy certainly didn't want to run into him on his way home. For now it was best to leave her gifts as anonymously as possible and get home before he ever knew she was there.

The yellow pegasus sniffed at the air, she could smell a strange scent, a combination of warm wood smoke and sharp ozone. There was supposed to be a storm in Ponyville sometime soon, she wondered if a bolt of lightning had struck nearby and started a fire. That couldn't be the case, she didn't see any animals fleeing like they would if there was a forest fire. There was no other trace of smoke either.

The shy mare could hear something as well, a strange sound like the buzz of a large insect. It echoed through the trees and lit her curiosity, guiding the pegasus toward the sound. Soon a strange crackling sound could be heard as well, but more concerning were the sounds that accompanied the hum. The sharp yelps and moaning howls of timber wolves.
Fluttershy ducked her head, this wasn't right! Timber wolves were nocturnal, they shouldn't be active during the day, unless something had wandered too close to their territory. But their hunting grounds were clearly marked, everypony knew to stay clear of them...

But what if it wasn't a pony?

With a soft cry, Fluttershy took off, running towards the sounds that echoed through the woods. She hoped she wouldn't be too late.

----------------------------------------------------------

The yellow mare finally found the source of the commotion. As she predicted the stranger stood, glowing blade in hand as a pack of timber wolves circled, waiting for an opening.

One of the wolves leapt toward the stranger, jaws snapping, but it was only met by the flashing blade which carved a smoldering line across the outstretched claws, leaving the rest of it's wooden body to scatter across the ground. Another took advantage of the distraction and jumped in as well, but this was met with an open palm. There was a silent roar and the timber wolf rebounded sharply as if it had rebounded against something solid, flying back to shatter against a stout tree. The stranger didn't wait for the other two, he closed the distance and brought his thrumming weapon down and across in two precise slashes, leaving the wolves tumbling apart.

The stranger closed down the weapon and turned toward Fluttershy, fully aware of her presence, "once more, Yellow One, you seem incapable of simply leaving me alone."

Fluttershy trembled, knowing what he didn't. She could already see the scattered bits of timber wolf pulling themselves back together into one big amalgamation. The pegasus could only stammer and point, trying desperately to warn him of the danger, but too shocked by the violence to form coherent words.

Some sixth sense seemed to warn the stranger of impending doom, he spun to face the giant timber wolf as it reared up. The heavy swipe of a wooden claw ripped the weapon from his hands and the stranger was knocked back and pinned. He was far from out of the fight however, with one last effort, the stranger reached out toward the descending jaws. Jagged bolts of blue lightning crackled from his finger tips, searing across the giant timber wolf.

Fluttershy hit the dirt and covered her head, squeezing her eyes shut against the blinding light and deafening crack of lightning. She couldn't tell if it was her, the timber wolf, or the stranger that was screaming the loudest.

The sound finally died after what seemed like an eternity. Fluttershy slowly opened her eyes and looked out over the aftermath. The air was thick with smoke and the timber wolf was little more than smoldering scraps wood and ash, down for good. The stranger, however, was also down. He lay still amid the wreckage, smoke drifting from his robes, his lightning had rebounded on him as it tried to find the ground.

Fluttershy cautiously made her way forward, nothing moved. She blanched, seeing glimpses of deep red through the rends in the stranger's clothes. The yellow mare did what she could, the stranger was still alive but he was in bad shape. His breathing was shallow and he seemed to twitch spasmodically, minor burns covered his hands and face.

He needed treatment, this being was sharp, violent, perhaps even cruel, but what kind of pony would Fluttershy be if she just left him here at the mercy of the elements? Carefully, she got herself under him and managed to lever him onto her back, carrying the stranger back the way she came toward his camp. He would be much safer there, but she needed to get help.

Fluttershy managed to get back to where he lived, laying him out on the dry mossy ground, hoping it would be good enough. Zecora was relatively nearby, but this didn't seem like it would be a normal injury, the pegasus was certain magic was involved which only left one option. She gulped, hoping Twilight wouldn't be too upset with her. She gave the comatose stranger one last glance, biting her lip as she took to the air, finding her way up through the canopy and winging her way back toward Ponyville.

----------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle checked over the prone figure. It had taken Fluttershy some time and considerable help from her animal friends to bring the stranger to the castle. Correspondence back and forth and some borrowed books had gotten her at least passing familiar with human physiology, but some things didn't add up. For one, the stranger's ears terminated in pronounced points that sloped down and back. Even more peculiar were his teeth, they were broad and flat, vaguely similar to pony teeth. Certainly the dental structure of a pure vegetarian, odd considering the stranger's disposition.
Fluttershy hovered nervously nearby, her eyes darting between the injured being and her own task. The claws of the timberwolves had slashed through the material of the stranger's robe. She had borrowed some thread and fabric to repair the garment. Fortunately, the being also wore a crimson vest made of a tough, flexible material that spared him from any deeper harm. In spite of that protection, his lightning had done enough. Burns covered his arms and face that Twilight spread a cooling salve on before wrapping with a soft bandage.

"Is.. he going to be okay?" Fluttershy's already soft voice was nearly lost in the expansive room that now doubled as an infirmary. Twilight hadn't been thrilled with the idea of her bringing food and supplies to such a dangerous being, but she hadn't really expected otherwise, and since he had proven to be at least civil on a couple of occasions, she had relaxed her opinion of him slightly.

The alicorn princess bit her lip, "I want to think so, but..." She shook her head, "I honestly don't know. I don't think he's actually human. I cross referenced a bunch of lightning spells and none of them are really great, but they're also nothing like what you described.

Twilight shuffled through the book on human anatomy she had borrowed, there was another snag that had revealed itself upon her first inspection. Electricity passing through the heart could still cause havoc even if it wasn't outright lethal. Twilight had detected some minor palpitations, but she also discovered a secondary rhythm. Whatever this person was, he had two hearts.

She finished tending to the stranger's wounds, "he's stable for now, but it might be some time before he wakes up. You did the right thing bringing him here, Fluttershy." She was rewarded with a small smile as the pegasus worried over her sewing.

The next thing Twilight wanted to inspect was the object that had been brought with the stranger. Violet magic carefully lifted the intricately crafted cylinder. It looked both incredibly modern, but at the same time, savagely tribal. The metal that could be seen had been precisely shaped, darkened and patinaed with age. The lower half was wrapped in a tough material that reminded Twilight sickeningly of Spike's scales. A string of small teeth was looped around one end while another strand of beads and a single large claw hung from the reverse. There was an inset button and a small dial. Holding the weapon slightly away and wincing a little, Twilight depressed the button.

Nothing happened.

Frowning, she tried again, but the handle remained inert. She looked it over and twisted the dial a little, but still there was nothing. Was it damaged in the fight? She couldn't imagine a weapon being very useful if it was so tricky to use. Her magic probed deeper, identifying the intricate wiring, several magnetic components, a compact yet extremely powerful power source, and a sturdy internal frame that held-

Twilight gasped and nearly dropped the device, "Sweet Celestia! I think there's something alive in there!"

"You're not entirely wrong."

The old Sith sat up with a groan, taking a moment to orient and get his bearings. He was inside what he assumed to be the tall crystalline structure with two of the colorful "ponies" one of whom held his weapon.

He reached out and an unseen force plucked the handle from Twilight's magic and brought it to his hand. The crimson blade hissed to life before settling into its menacing thrum, "you need to maintain physical pressure around the casing, most lightsabers have such a feature, dangerous as they are." His captors breathed an audible sigh as the blade vanished once again.

"What you felt was the Kyber crystal that focuses the blade. It is neither sentient, nor alive, but it is deeply infused with the Force. I imagine it didn't feel too friendly." He eyed the purple pony carefully, "but you already know this, don't you?"
Twilight slowly shook her head, "no, how could I? I haven't got a clue what half of any of that meant." She rubbed a hoof between her eyes, "maybe we should start at the beginning, with your name? I haven't been able to catch it."

The old Sith narrowed his eyes suspiciously, Jedi rarely resulted to trickery or subterfuge, but it was known to happen now and then. "Karnis," he answered, "Darth Karnis, if you prefer a title." This was no trick, from their expressions and through the echo in the Force, both these creatures held no recognition. He pressed deeper, "Your master's tutelage was lacking if you've not heard of the Sith."

Twilight bristled a little, "I was given the best education available, taught by Princess Celestia herself. I don't know what all that was about crystals and forces, but it's not for a lack of proper schooling. You're the first human to set foot in Equestria. It stands to reason that there are things that we don't know about each other."

It was Karnis's turn to sneer, "I am not a human, I am a Camaasi. In the Core we, and others like me, are referred to as near-human, which is just insulting enough to make me hate the Core worlds on general principle."

"Is the use of magic common among your people?" This was clearly going to be a delicate interview, she'd have to step carefully around the temperamental being, but if Pinkie could foster friendship with Yaks, then the least she could do was get some questions answered.

The old Sith watched her for a moment, obviously this pony was going to insist on playing dumb. He sighed, "no more than many other races out there. We are not as Forceful as the Iktochi or the Miraluka, but nor are we stunted such as the Hutts or Wookiees.." His scowl deepened, there was no recognition in the pony's expression and no guile in those freakishly large eyes, "you truly have no experience with the Force, do you?"

Twilight shook her head, "what you're describing it what we call magic here. The ephemeral forces that suffuse the world."
There was a difference and Karnis knew it. Use of the Force wasn't accompanied by the shimmering glow he saw from some of these "ponies," it wasn't the same, but it was of similar ilk. Humorously, he realized that these ridiculous creatures had more in common with the Nightsister covens of Dathomir than either Jedi or Sith. This was going to take a long time and a lot of discussion. Best taken in the short term. There was already much that he had to meditate on.

Hooking his lightsaber to his belt again, the old Sith gathered his robe. It was now going to need to purchase patches and thread to make repairs. He supposed good, functional zeyd-cloth was out of the question. Judging by the ponies around him even black might be a tall order. Bundling the garment, he prepared to take his leave without a further word.
The Sith Lord came up short as he came against a pair of soulful cyan eyes. The Yellow One hovered in front of him, "you're leaving? You can't go yet, you were very badly hurt! You need to rest and recover." She seemed so impossibly stern.

Twilight held her breath. Fluttershy had the preternatural ability to connect with some of the most fearsome creatures in Equestria. Even the hydra that laired in the local swamp knew to leave her in peace. Those were just simple animals, though, and Fluttershy still held a healthy respect for them and knew when to steer clear. This being was made from something else entirely.

The stranger waved slowly, a smooth gesture of his hand. Flutterhy's wings dropped out of time and she gasped as she was lowered to the floor out of the way. "Your aid is appreciated, but your concern is unfounded. Rest and recovery is something I intend to get. Back home in my own camp." He made for the door but paused for a long moment, turning back, "the last basket you brought contained a few small round vegetables with bright red skin and white flesh. I was rather fond of them." He was still a moment longer before slipping out and closing the door behind him.

Two very confused ponies remained behind staring at the door and trying to process everything that had gone one. Even Twilight Sparkle could come away with mere conjecture for much of the interaction. Well, there was one solid fact, "so... the spooky, dangerous newcomer... likes radishes?"

Fluttershy was content to look on the bright side of the situation, "at least I know what to do with leftover radishes now. Angel Bunny won't eat them."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Darth Karnis made his way back through the strange little town. It had taken long enough to find the way out of that absurd crystal castle, startling another purple pony and a small purple reptile in the process. Now he was heading back toward the eaves of the woods and from there to home. Perhaps he could find the site of his battleground once more. The wooden canids were worthy foes, he might be able to gather a new trophy.

"Hey! New guy!"

Karnis sighed, he remembered that voice. Turning, he saw the violently colorful pony hovering a few paces away. She snorted and tossed that rainbow colored mane, smacking her forehooves together in a threatening gesture.

"I wanna rematch!"

Author's Note:

I forgot how much the spell checker on this site leaves to be desired...

Yes, it's been ages and most of you probably don't care anymore, but the bug bit me again so it's back. Updates might be slow, but I've got a general direction and a vague goal to head in now so I think I'll keep chugging away at it. Hopefully it'll turn into something alright.
I'd also like to thank the user, Eternal Samson. We are always the most critical of our own work, and even going back through this chapter, it feels bland and lifeless to me. It was a comment that Eternal Samson left that sparked up the will to keep going. If you like something, by all means convey it, because you never know if the creator hates their own work.