• Published 10th Dec 2017
  • 711 Views, 32 Comments

Star Wars: Age Of Redemption - sylamorase1410



Something new has found its way to Equestria, and it doesn't want to make friends.

  • ...
 32
 711

Chapter 3: Diamonds in the Rough

The Dark Lord of the Sith slowly settles into his new home. Twilight Sparkle is wisely cautious of his presence, but she knows that he can't be ignored completely. She keeps an ear to the ground and does what she does best, gather information. But the funny thing about research is sometimes what you come up with is not what you were expecting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun rose high over Everfree Forest, its dense canopy filled with the songs of birds and the scurrying of other arboreal creatures. One of the few paths that lead through the forest towards the river had grown a new trail overnight. The small path lead deeper into the woods and a great deal of activity could be heard at the other end. Branches snapped, soil was upturned and sounds of exertion filled the air.

It had been nearly a week since Darth Karnis had set up shop in these woods and he was well pleased with the progress he'd made. Space had been cleared and stout posts had been sunk to mark out the pentagonal frame of a sturdy Camaasi style mud hut. The builder sat on a log nearby, running a sharp stone across a simple wooden shovel. He needed good clay to build up the walls and the former Sith Lord was not about to dig with his hands.

The last few days had been quiet, the old near-human was almost willing to believe that the bright indiginous people of this planet had finally learned to give him some space. He knew it was only a matter of time before that silence was broken, however. Perhaps a more permanent home would convince intruders that he wasn't about to leave.

With the new tool complete, Karnis gathered up a woven basket and made his way through the undergrowth down to the river. He wandered along the stony banks until he found a spot beneath an overhang that had the dense gray of a clay deposit. The old Sith dug the simple spade into the bank and levered out a chunk of dense earth. It was precisely what he needed, but he'd need plenty more for a solid hut.

Karnis halted his work and bent toward the hollow he carved out, reaching in to pry out something gleaming in the mud. A quick rinse later revealed a shining ruby seemingly already cut and polished, just lying in the ground. The Sith considered the stone for a moment. He had seen stranger things on other planets, but if gems of this quality were just lying around, did they have only negligible worth to the locals or would he still be able to convert it into currency, perhaps get his hands on some proper tools if they were available.

The old Camaasi decided to at least try his luck. He pocketed the stone and gathered up the basket of clay. It would be enough for the foundation layer at least, if he could find a metal shovel or perhaps even a pick, the work would go much faster.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkie Pie had a mission. An extra super serious mission that required nothing less than her full attention. The weather team was bringing in storm clouds! It was the pink pony's solemn duty to make sure that every pony knew that just because the skies were a little gray, it was no reason to get all down in the dumps about it. After all, once it was done raining, the bright sun would come out once more and all the pretty flowers would bloom and birds would sing and there would be cupcakes and candy and everything would be so super great that everypony would forget about the lousy old rain.

The bubblegum mare's hooves hit the ground and stuck there, her relentless bouncing instantly halted when she saw what lay ahead. A tall figure dressed in black stood at the edge of the Everfree Forest, blinking up at the sky in confusion. It was so weird to see anything actually wearing black, well, besides Princess Luna of course, but she could really make it work. Pinkie watched as the being looked from the low, overcast sky above Ponyville to the bright, clear sky over Everfree and back. It was like he didn't know the weather just kind of did its own thing over the forest.

The pink mare blinked when she saw the figure's eyes fix on her, drawing his hood up against the threatening rain and making his way toward her. She hesitated, torn between wanting to properly greet a newcomer and needing to obey Twilight's warning about "the weird guy in the forest." She pranced in place for a moment before spinning to face the opposite direction. She couldn't really talk to him if she wasn't talking TO him, right?

She heard footsteps growing closer, a faint cough, a pause, and then a weird kind of scratchy sounding voice, "um.. I'm looking for someone interested in buying quality gems."

Pinkie was put off balance, not a place she was used to being put, "uh-huh?"

There were more footsteps to the side, she turned to keep facing the other way, "if you could, direct me to someone who would be interested in purchasing a gem... Perhaps a purveyor of tools?"

The voice was starting to sound agitated and more than a little confused, "I don't... I don't get it, is this some local custom?"

Pinkie shook her head, "uh-uh, Twilight said we aren't supposed to talk to weird guys from the woods.."

She heard a sigh, a sound of defeat and acceptance. It was a very familiar sigh that she heard a lot, but she never really understood why. Finally the voice came again, "whatever, someone looking to buy gems?"

Pinkie pointed a hoof further into town, "Carousel Boutique, Rarity is always looking for jewels, she might pay... Just as long as you're super duper nice to her and don't do any scary stuff.. pretty please."

She heard him turn to face the way she was pointing, muttering a quick, "thank you, uh, Pink One," before the sound of footsteps moved away, further into town. In less than a moment, Pinkie was zooming at full speed in a different direction. She had to tell Twilight!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karnis looked back just in time to see the peculiar pink equinoid dash off at high speed, she seemed to be heading toward the tall crystalline castle at the edge of town. He found that structure rather intriguing. It brought back memories of his stay in Calius Saj Leeloo in the early years of his apprenticeship. Berchest's City of Glowing Crystal was an awe inspiring sight no matter who you were.

The old Sith made his way through the small town, ignoring the stares of the locals. He made a beeline toward the rounded building the Pink One had pointed out. The front door was somewhat shorter than he was tall, he would have to duck to get through it, but that was only to be expected on a planet where one stood taller than the indigenous species. He knocked on the door and took a step back so he could be easily seen.

The sound of hooves rapped on wooden floorboard before the door swung open to reveal a sterling white pony with a rich purple mane that seemed to be elegantly styled. Not quite to the measure of Alderaanian or Coruscanti fashion, but extravagant by comparison.

The pony immediately broke into a well rehearsed pitch, "welcome, darling, to Carousel Boutique! My name is Rarity, how may I..." She halted, eyes wide as she spotted the Sith on her doorstep.

With a dramatic cry she sprang back, a blue glow turned his attention to the small horn that this specimen sported, but Karnis was more interested in what he didn't physically see. This being touched brightly against his awareness, she seemed to have no small talent in the Force.

He was brought back by a rather camp tirade, "ruffian! I know not what your fiendish purpose is, but you'll not take me without a fight! Though I may be a proper lady, I can defend myself against..."

The Sith Lord ignored whatever she was babbling about, he was here on business. Karnis dug into the pouches along his belt and produced the shining ruby for the gibbering pony to see.

The White One halted immediately, her eyes fixed on the shining stone with a covetous look, "oh my goodness! Where in the world did you find such a fine specimen?"

Karnis turned the stone slightly, making sure the light caught on it's facets, "in the mud by the river near where I live. I can bring more if I find them, but I find myself in need of proper tools, and currency with which to purchase them. I was lead to believe you would pay for gems like this. Enough for a decent digging implement at least."

The pale pony's eyes were fixed on the bright gem as she answered, "I can? oh! Yes, of course I can, let me just... Wait there, I won't be a moment!" She dashed back inside.

Karnis was left waiting, he could be patient. Assuming the mantle of Dark Lord didn't mean that he existed in a vacuum. The Sith had contacts across the galaxy, he could be diplomatic when the situation called for it.

The old Camaasi regarded the red stone, it seemed there was a market for these gems, not a bad stroke of luck. If he could find more then he could perhaps purchase everything he needed to get a solid foothold on this strange little planet.

Something brushed against his consciousness, a feeling that put his hopes of a quiet life into deep question. There was a being nearby, one that positively glowed inside the Force. But more than that he could detect a certain mentality, serious, dutiful, servile. The marks of a being who was so much more, but never put themselves above the common rabble. Karnis's fist tightened around the gem, it's facets digging into his skin. Jedi!

The Sith Lord turned to face the approaching presence, preparing for a fight he was certain was coming. It had been a long time since he was tested against a Jedi, and the presence of one here was a foreboding sign.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle stopped some distance away from the man in black, there was something about him, some strange force. It wasn't wholly unfamiliar, one could get almost the same impression among unicorns, but this being as almost certainly human and from what she had gathered, humans couldn't use magic.

There was something else that was strange, Twilight felt oddly cold in his presence. It was already chilly out with the impending rain, but this was more like the bitter chill of winter, the kind of cold that went straight through a pony. She exhaled slowly, half expecting to see her breath fog in the air.

The alicorn princess halted as the being turned toward her, she could understand why Fluttershy had been so scared. Still, she wasn't one to back down. Twilight spread her wings and tried to look as authoritative as possible, wishing she had more time to prepare her introduction, "greetings, stranger. I am Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and personal protege of Princess Celestia of Equestria. I wish to know why you have come to our town."
Overall she was pleased with it, diplomatic, but at the same time she wasn't here to exchange pleasantries, nor would she brook any nonsense from the stranger.

He seemed slightly taken aback, but his eyes narrowed in suspicion, "princess? Since when do Jedi take such lofty titles?"
Twilight tilted her head, her train of thought stumbling over the unfamiliar word. She shook her head, focusing on business, "yes, princess. I want to know why you're here. You've terrified one of my friends and injured another. While that alone is enough for me to wish to imprison you in the deepest dungeon I can find..." She sighed and folded her wings again, "I'm told you can be reasoned with, so in the name of Friendship I'm willing to give you one last chance."
The princess planted her hooves and posed the question once more, "why are you here?"

The being regarded her silently for a long moment. Hoofsteps drifted out through the open door as Rarity returned. The man in black shrugged and produced a large ruby, "I'm just here to sell a gem to this young lady, I find myself in need of tools."

With that he turned away, exchanging the stone he bought for a decent amount of bits, assured that it would be more than enough for the tools he needed. With business concluded, he wandered back toward the market, brushing past Twilight without a word.

The purple alicorn watched him go, thoroughly confused. She vaguely registered Rarity coming to stand next to her, "what was that, darling? That can't be the same thing poor Fluttershy was so worked up over."

Twilight shook her head, "I really don't know anymore.." There was a familiar gleam in her eye and her lips curled into an eager grin, "this will require further study."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was perhaps an hour later when Karnis made his way back into the forest, a pickaxe and a spade held in his grip. They were a little short for his stature, but they would be better than nothing. If needed, he could always re-haft them later.
The Sith Lord wound his way through the forest, he would return to camp and take stock of what he needed. Any currency he would be able to gather would go toward making himself more self sufficient. Karnis found himself surprisingly partial to the local roots and there was already plans to clear space for a vegetable patch. Tubers were easy to grow, most tending to sprout from themselves unlike seedlings that needed to germinate and be constantly hovered over.

Peculiar weather aside, the old Camaasi was starting to take a shine to this place, he'd even stopped concerning himself with whatever it was that howled in the night. Most creatures didn't dare come too close to his camp. Well, nothing dangerous at least.

Fate has a way of making liars of us all.