• Published 2nd Aug 2017
  • 990 Views, 40 Comments

A Story Told - Lil Penpusher



After an exhausting journey on sea, Edmond Dash and the rest of his crew dock at the port of Baltimare at last. Eager to see his wife and his father, he fails to notice the voices in the shadows, as his enemies forge a devilish plot against him.

  • ...
5
 40
 990

A Rising Storm

On the other side of town, a lonely mare sat on her balcony, caressing a rabbit in her arms as she watched the birds and butterflies. She could see a local orchard from the balcony, where many animals would gather during harvest season. For her, this was a big highlight of the year, though somepony in her life shared no interest in such things.

The quiet tapping of hooves became louder as a pony approached the mare, her pink mane blowing in the breeze.

“Shycedes, there you are,” a stallion said to her, “I was worried about you.”

Shycedes laughed childishly, muzzling the rabbit briefly before releasing it to the ground. “Oh, Fernand, you know you would not ever have reason to worry about me, “ she said to the purple pony. “You don’t think I would ever run away from here, do you?” she asked him, standing up from her small, wooden stool and turning towards him.

“Of course not, my dear,” he replied, “but you surely remember me being overprotective.”

“I do, indeed. I am fine at this time, however.” the soothing, calm and quiet voice of the mare truly hypnotised the stallion, his thoughts filled only with her image.

“If this is the case...” the stallion said, gently stepping closer to Shycedes, “as you might know, summer is soon upon us, and as such the grand summer dance is as well.”

“The grand summer dance?” Shycedes repeated with excitement, “The festivities would take place at the Mayor’s personal mansion, no?”

“They would, indeed, as it is tradition.” Fernand gave out an awkward and nervous cough. “Shycedes... I... I would like to ask for you to accompany me to this event. Us both, together.”

A warm smile appeared on the mare’s face, though it did not have the meaning Fernand had hoped for. “Oh, Fernand... I answered you a thousand times already that my heart belongs to somepony else.”

Shycedes words hit her dear friend far harder than she had intended. “And for the thousandth time I tell you that your beloved is of no good for you! He is a sailor, spending most of his time away from you, while I have been by your side since you first arrived in Baltimare,” Fernand ranted.

“And I am most grateful to have you, dear Fernand, but as I have told you time and time again, I cannot offer you more than friendship,” Shycedes told the stallion again. At this point he was both furious and about to break out into tears.

“But you must realise what danger your loved one exposes himself to on every journey on sea he makes,” Fernand said to his loved one as calm as he could at the time, “He may leave and sail out into the sea and never return, only to leave you alone and heartbroken.”

Shycedes sighed at the persistency of her best friend. “And even then, you expose yourself to no less, if not more danger than him. Do not try to hide this. You are a soldier, an officer, just as your father was during the war. You would not dare to tell me such a blatant lie, would you?” Shycedes asked Fernand angrily.

The purple pony lowered his head in shame. “No...of course not.” His voice was now quiet and bitter.

“Fernand, you must remind yourself at all times that I care and love you,” Shycedes said, stroking the stallion’s cheek, “but I do so as a good friend, nothing more. It has long been clear to me that this was seemingly not enough for you, but I cannot offer you more, I am afraid.”

“What is it you love in him, my dear?” Fernand asked quietly.

“Fernand, I-”

What is it!?” Fernand yelled in rage, “Is it his speech? His mane? His career?” he went on, “What would a pony like me have to do to finally earn your favour?”

“I just-”

“Would you wish for me to become a sailor, just like him? Would this please you? Satisfy you?”

The wind howled as a sudden silence set in. Shycedes took a few, careful steps back, away from her friend, while Fernand attempted to regain his temper.

“Shycedes, I...” he stuttered, “I am ever so sorry...” his voice was so weak and quiet that it was almost inaudible for Shycedes.

“I accept your apology, Fernand.” Shycedes slowly lowered herself onto the wooden stool again. “I demand of you, however, that you keep control of your emotions,” The mare told the proud alicorn.

“You know I won’t be able to...” he replied with disappointment.

“I will say this again, for the last time, my dear Fernand, in the hope that it won’t fall on deaf ears: While I love and care about you, I cannot offer you more than my sisterly affection, as my heart is promised to a different one.”

Fernand lowered his head in shame and sadness. A sudden noise interrupted the silence. It was a loud banging, coming from downstairs; somepony was knocking on the door.

Shycedes jumped off her stool in excitement. “That ought to be him!”

As Shycedes ran indoors, Fernand attempted to keep track with her. “Dear, are you sure he will ever return?” Fernand managed to grab hold of Shycedes as she was about to walk down the stairs, looking her in the eyes. “Shycedes, he and his ship should have arrived in port three days ago, and there has been no trace of them. You must face the truth: He is gone.”

“His arrival has been greatly delayed, indeed,” Shycedes replied, breaking free of the stallion’s grasp and walking down the stairs, “hence why I am most eager to see him at last!”

Fernand attempted to prevent her from reaching the door, but he was just a little too slow. When the door opened, Shycedes gave out a loud gasp, and Fernand saw exactly who he hoped not to see.

“Edmond!” Shycedes exclaimed with joy, promptly pulling her loved one into a tight embrace. “Oh Edmond, how I yearned for your return!”

“As did I, my beloved. Please, accept my deepest apologies for my delayed return.”

“No need, dear, no need! You have returned at last, and this is all I could ask for.” Shycedes replied to him, tears of joy rolling down her face as she tightened her hug.

“And you, my beloved Shycedes, are more than I could have ever imagined, let alone ask for.” Edmond replied.

The two ponies stared each other in the eyes, those eyes that they had been so eager to see after all this time. It took no more than three seconds until their lips met at last.

Fernand, still hidden inside the shadows, stepped outside the house. Edmond broke the kiss with his beloved as he first saw the mysterious pony.

“But, dear, tell me: Who might this be?”

Shycedes turned around, spotting her good friend eyeing Edmond with an envious look. “Oh, my apologies, Edmond. I should have introduced you to him sooner,” she answered her lover, “This is my best friend, Fernand Monspark.”

Fernand remained silent.

“If so, then he is more than welcome to be my friend as well.” Edmonde said to Shycedes, now turning towards Fernand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. My name is Edmond Dash,” the cyan blue stallion said to Fernand, extending a hoof towards him.

Fernand, however, turned away from Edmond, refusing to shake his hoof. “I know very well who you are,” He said to him, grumbling.

“Ah...” Edmond said, slightly irritated, “then I suppose Shycedes must have told you of me already.”

“I did, indeed, Edmond,” Shycedes admitted, “You have my apologies for not telling you of Fernand sooner. He is a great friend, and has helped me time and again, even before I met you.” Fernand shrugged this compliment off, instead watching Edmond who failed to spot Fernand’s malicious look.

“Yet I wonder how I have not met him in town any earlier,” Edmond replied, placing a hoof on Shycedes’ cheek, smiling with joy.

“This is because our dear Fernand is a soldier, an officer even. He had been stationed near Canterlot for a long time. Until recently, that is, where he and his regiment were moved to Baltimare, at last.”

“So you did not see him for that time yourself?” Edmond asked her.

“No, but we continued to write letters to each other, as it was the only way to keep in contact.”

Edmond briefly turned his head towards Fernand, but all Fernand gave out was a simple “Hmph!”

“Well, it is nice to meet him nonetheless,” Edmond said, although he had mixed feelings about this mysterious stallion in reality. “Now, I suggest we spend some good time together after I have been gone for so long,” he offered to Shycedes.

“That sounds lovely! I would love to hear of your journey. Surely you also saw some exotic creatures on your way?” Shycedes brewed with excitement, both because of spending time with Edmond and because of her love for animals.

“Perhaps, perhaps,” Edmond replied with a smirk, “Come now, my dear, I shall invite you to dine with me. We can discuss everything then.”

Shycedes nodded gently and followed Edmond down the street, side by side. Leaving only Fernand behind, being not only denied by his love but also seeing his love choosing a simple sailor over him, a noble, wealthy pony of honour.

Fernand turned tail as soon as Edmond and Shycedes disappeared behind the nearest corner, heading back inside. However, the door was shut right in front of him; by a rather mischievous-looking pony.

“What is the matter of this?” Fernand asked the stallion that now stood in front of the closed door, “Explain yourself!”

“We beg your pardon, sir, but sometimes a good friendship has a rough start,” said Danglarjack, revealing himself as he walked up behind Fernand, much to his surprise.

“If it is trouble you seek, know that I am more than well-trained in the art of swordfighting, and that I will not hesitate to put my skills to use!” Fernand threatened them. He was surprised when the two ponies began to laugh.

“It isn’t trouble we seek, sir, but justice,” Danglarjack explained, walking past Fernand and finally standing next to his friend, Berry Puncherousse.

“What justice could two rough-looking ponies like you be looking for?” Fernand asked them, clearly insulting Berry.

“We seek justice, just like you do, good sir.”

“Like me?” Fernand asked Danglarjack.

“Do you not lust for justice? Do you not dream of disposing that dreaded villain? That over-confident stallion who goes about, destroying other pony’s hopes and dreams?” Danglarjack asked Fernand.

“Dear Celestia, what are you talking about?” Fernand asked in confusion.

“I am talking about Edmond Dash, good sir.” Danglarjack revealed to him.

Fernand, although silent for a few seconds, seemed to understand what Danglarjack was saying, and what he was offering him. “I see...” he said, “I take I am not the only one to despise him then?”

“He must be put back in his place, sir,” Puncherousse said.

“Aye, it’s about time he is taught a lesson. One he should never forget.” Danglarjack agreed.

Fernand gave out a short, evil cackle. “I couldn’t agree more, gentlecolts. If you would allow me the suggestion; we should postpone this meeting to a different time, and a different place. There’s too many witnesses here, I fear...” the purple alicorn said, briefly looking around at the different ponies that walked up and down the street.

“Aye, a good idea,” Danglarjack replied.

“Sounds good to me,” Berry Puncherousse agreed.

“Excellent. Here,” Fernand said, giving them a small flyer on which there was an advertisement for a pub in the town, “meet me at that place tonight at 10 pm, and make sure nopony close to Edmond or Shycedes sees you.”

The two stallions nodded silently.

“Good. Now go, I shall prepare for our meeting.” With that, both Danglarjack and Berry Puncherousse left the scene, acting as if nothing had happened.

“Perhaps I can call upon an old friend...” Fernand said to himself, stepping inside and closing the door behind him.

“Enjoy your days with Shycedes, young Edmond, for they will be your last ones...”