• Published 26th Jul 2017
  • 776 Views, 18 Comments

Fixing the balance - BRITICAL-HIT



two worlds connected by a shrouded past will once again come together as three British teens are accidentally transported to equestria and transformed. As otherworldly beings try to fix the balance, one way or another..

  • ...
2
 18
 776

Chapter 1; origins/ Remastered

Author's Note:

Hello people, eVoL junior here, revealing my first story on this site. Well, I am currently up to chapter 5 on fanfictiction.net, so sorta new. I would like to note two things.
First; the first chapter of this story doesn't contain any ponies, but instead focuses on the main trio of the story.
Secondly, I don't own any characters from the realm of MLP, only my main trio and the threat they face.

EX note: this chapter has been Remastered as of 19/9/17. This edit adds new dialogue, an improved conversation between Theo and his dad and fixing several plot issues found. On top of this, I have added several Easter eggs and references for those of you who will get them.

Finally, I would like to thank 0_0 for helping me fix up this chapter, as it would've taken me some time to get together the intelligence to fix it myself. If you wish to see the original version, it is up on fanfiction.net. Anyway, have a good day and feel free to let me know what you thought bellow.

It was always awkward the day you start at a new school in the middle of a term, but this feeling was all too familiar for Theo.

He thought of any excuse to push it back another day. He lost his keys somewhere in the house and was locked in, he got there a day late, or he could just say the obvious "I was sick" line he used in his last 3 schools.

He shook his head and walked to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Theodore Middlewood was just your run of the mill lanky 16 year old video game addict, as could be proved by the gargantuan stack of game boxes and consoles in his room. He had rough blonde hair that always seemed to go off to the left no matter what he did with it. He wore a black and white checkered shirt with with the collar button undone, black chinos and grey trainers. After brushing his teeth and a splash of cold water, Theo made his way downstairs to check up with his dad before he left. He entered the living room to find his father's head covered in cans of cheap fizzy drinks and scrunched-up paper. Theo walked up to his dad and shook what he thought was his shoulder in an effort to wake him up, only to see his father's body erupt from the pile.

"Iwasn'tasleepIwasrestingmyeyes"! he said almost as fast as his head shot up, shooting a look at his son almost as if he was the true parent. Theo simply responded with a smirk and a light laugh. Mr Middlewood rested his head in his hands, he was clearly upset. "I nearly made a breakthrough, son, I could just feel it," he said, almost upset.

Theo's father worked for a video game company as a landscape designer, and thoroughly enjoyed his work. Even Theo would often find himself in awe at some of his father's work. The only problem with his father’s job meant moving to new locations, lots! Just as Theo thought he had settled down for good, his father had either got a promotion, had been moved to another project or dropped completely. Still, his dad had one dream, to one day make a game good enough that he could settle down and not have to keep moving.

Theo was simply disappointed, kneeling to his dad's level so he can gain eye contact. "You've said that for the past three nights running, dad. You need to stop it with the all-night research sessions and get some sleep for fuck sake!"

"You know how I get when I'm on the verge of an idea," his father shot back at him. Theo knew how stubborn his dad was about his work, and how his emotions tend to be on overtime in the morning, So he returned to his prior thoughts.

"Dad, do I have to go in today? He asked his father, choosing to give up on excuses and give it to his father straight, seeing as his father typically sees through his lies anyway.

"Theo, we always have this discussion every time we move, you always try to hide inside for the first day and it's beginning to get annoying." His father’s voice became more warm. somewhat inviting Theo to share his feelings with him.

"Yes but you always say it will be the last time, and it never is!" Theo started to rant, "I finally found somewhere I was happy, I made actual friends, then I go home and you give me the same blank look and tell me we need to move!" Theo looked like he was about to burst out in tears until his father placed his hand on his shoulder to soothe his emotions.

"Calm down mate, shouting won't solve anything, ok?" his father said firmly, placing his hand on his sons shoulder. His face became saddened. "You have a right to be mad, but overthinking things like you do will only cause more stress." Theo had become silent. "Look mate, you know I don't have a choice in this, if I did we would still be back in London, with a massive house and every gaming system going." His father's head sunk back into his hands. "Life's a bitch, isn't it?"

Theo rolled his eyes and placed his hand on his dad's shoulder. "Look, I'm sorry for over-reacting, but this isn't healthy dad. I was behind with school as it is, but now, unless a miracle happens, I'm pretty much fucked. You blame me for trying to avoid the first day, but I don't want to make friends if I'm just gonna leave them sooner or later."

Theo's dad turned to see his son clearly upset, his hand no longer resting on his shoulder. "Look Theo, I know how you feel. Just hear me out on this one." Theo looked at his dad. "This sounds weird, but it's like I felt something drew me here, like this is meant to happen. I sound like a tool for saying this, but it's hard to explain." Theo looked at his father sceptically, his head leaning back in confusion. His father sighed in response. "Just go to school kiddo, I've got some things to sort out and un-box, so you'd best set off."

Theo grabbed his black bomber jacket and left without question, his father having snapped him out of his mood. As the door closed however, his dad's head fell down onto the pile and sunk back into it.

"Five more minutes." He mumbled, his head once again covered in litter.

-0-0-0-0-0-

Theo quietly walked into school, his head deep in thought. There was something about what his father had said to him that he was still trying to understand. "It felt like something drew me here". Now, Theo knew his dad was bonkers, but he never said anything like that before. What could it mean?

Any further speculation was interrupted by a large, bellowing growl coming from Theo's belly, as he realised he forgot to have his breakfast. "Fuck." He muttered under his breath, now stopping and contemplating whether or not to head home and make a quick slice of toast. He quickly chose not to however, deciding he didn't have the time.

As he went to continue his trek, he was suddenly pulled backwards, falling over in the process. Mere moments later, a car zoomed in front of him. Whatever just stopped Theo from crossing the road (which he probably should've noticed) likely just saved his life. Theo turned to see who it was.

"You good, mate?" said a young man who Theo guessed was his age. His rescuer wore a tracksuit and was well-built, with brown hair and a bit of stubble on his chin. Theo had gotten over the initial shock and managed to pull together a response.

"Thank... Fuck..." he called out. He was offered a hand up and took it.

"I understand school is bad, but it's not that bad!" the lad said jokingly.

"No, it is!" Theo answered jokingly, before being offered a hand up. "Theo."

"Theo huh? You must be that new kid I've heard about." Ivan answered, helping Theo up. "I'm Ivan, nice to meet you!" As Theo got up, his belly started to roar again, loud enough for Ivan to hear it this time. "One sec, I think I have something for that." Ivan threw Theo a breakfast bar from his pocket, before pulling another one out. Theo let out a sigh of relief.

"Dude, your a life-saver." Theo said as a way of thanks, before tagging along with him the rest of the way to school.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

"What you so quiet out?" Ivan asked. The walk to school was mostly a short one. It took some time due to the lack of a conversation, but Ivan finally broke the silence with his question.

Theo sighed, looking up at Ivan. "Something my dad said earlier got me thinking, that's all." Ivan slowed down so he was next to Theo.

"Something I can hear?" Ivan asked, nudging Theo a bit.

"He said that something drew him here, and that he couldn't tell what it was." Ivan laughed at this.

"Really man? That just sounds like the typical 'drawn to the location' shit people do in movies. How is that weird?" Ivan brought up a good point, but it still didn't feel right to Theo.

"Yeah, but still, something doesn't feel right. My dad doesn't typically say shit like that, and it's just thrown me off." He scratched the back of his head, both for an itch and as a sign of confusion.

"Let me guess, your an analyst." Ivan guessed, simply to get a blank look from Theo. "You know, the kind of person who thinks everything through in their head before running into danger?"

"Yeah, pretty much.." Theo continued to scratch his head. "It's got me out of a lot of shit, so I've learned to deal with it." They continued talking until they reached the school entrance.

"Well man, that's that. I've got lesson to get to, so I'll meet you after you tour thing." Ivan gave Theo a pat on the back for good luck, or just for an opportunity for a dig.

"Kay man, speak to you soon. Good luck not getting detention!" Theo told him.

"You know you probably just jinxed me, right?" Ivan asked, folding his arms.

"That was the point man, see you later!" Theo quickly ran off before Ivan could catch up to him

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Theo arrived at the reception in order to meet his guide for the day, yet recalled the last few times he was toured around his new schools. He would always be shown around by some popular chick who only offered to show him around to get out of class. Then they’d bitch about him to the other popular girls, and suddenly he was a social outcast. Every time, without fail. Naturally, Theo hated this process . He walked up to the reception desk to introduce himself.

"Hey there, kid, what can I do for you?" asked the receptionist. She seemed to put on a lot of enthusiasm, like most teachers did. Theo thought she would probably get back to whatever she was doing prior, wether that was work or whatever she was doing.

He walked up to the desk, ready to introduce himself. "Yeah, I'm Theo Middlewood, I'm here about the first day tour thing," he stated.

"Good timing, the guide is coming over now. She will be here in 2 minutes." Ha, he called it! Despite the chaos that came with moving, some things were still predictable. Theo simply sighed and went to sit down when a young woman came bursting through the door. She seemed to be out of breath, so she clearly rushed there.

“I'm here to pick up the new kid!" she yelled before breathing frantically. To Theo's confusion, she was quite the opposite to what he thought he would get. Blue hoodie and jeans, red hair, and no makeup! He quietly thanked whoever sent this girl to be his guide. Theo walked up to her to introduce himself.

"That Theo by chance?" he asked her.

"I wasn't told the name, just to pick up some guy from reception and show him around. One minute." The girl continued to frantically breathe, before standing up straight. "Sorry about that, I'm Made."

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Made and Theo walked around school, as the tour was taking a while. Despite this, they kept each other going with a couple of jabs. They walked past a classroom

"Those are the computer labs, aKa my favourite class!" Made declared, her face filled with pride.

From what little Theo had learned from made, she seemed to have a mixed bag of a personality. She could go from giddy, to moody, then proud in a blink of an eye. This meant Theo mostly had a hard time keeping up with her, but he figured he'd get used to her eventually.

"Next up is the design and tech." Made now looked a little upset, stopping and looking into the classroom. "I wanted to do this class, but they don't think I have the strength for it.

Theo looked at Made, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Well, just ignore them. If you want to do something, you can do it!" This lit a small flame of confidence in Made's eyes, but she still changed the subject.

"Hey, you'd better not be flirting with me." She said sarcastically, brushing off Theo's hand and giving him a punch to the shoulder. Theo winced, her fist actually hurt.

"So, your not strong, eh?" He returned, pulling a daft face and pushing her to the side.

"Ah, shut up blondie!" She shouted, walking forward a few more paces until reaching a classroom. "This is the science room, the class we're both meant to be in right now. When we go in, I'll help you catch up with whatever you need to do.

"Meh, fair enough." Theo was partially upset he had to go to class, but was glad to do something other than stand around and talk all day. He opened the door and—

"DETENTION!" an old man (presumably the teacher) yelled at him and Made. He seemed to reek of vodka.

"What?" Theo asked him, severally shocked and confused.

"Arriving late to my class, or any other class for that matter, is punishable by detention!"

Theo looked over to Made. "What's with this guy?” he asked her.

"He's the village idiot," she answered. "I'll explain when we're sat down."

"The pair of you can join Ivan after class." Theo simply looked over the teacher’s shoulder to see the buffoon in question waving at him. One facepalm later and Theo and made joined Ivan at the back of class. Made sat next to Ivan, immediately giving him a friendly look.

"Well, what's he got you in for this time?" She said before sighing, almost annoyed.

"For running in the classroom." Ivan moaned, briefly sniggering before turning to Theo. "Well, it's later. How was the tour?"

"Went well, all things considered." Theo sighed, still pissed off he got a detention in his first lesson. "That teacher is a prick."

"Don't worry about Mr. Branwen." Ivan said, pointing at the teacher, who was taking a drink from a flask, most likely alcohol. "He's probably just gonna forget about it after class."

"If you say so." Theo mumbled, choosing to rest his head on the table as the class resumed, not that there was much actually being taught. The teacher mostly mumbled to himself, occasionally writing on the board. The lesson ended surprisingly fast, and the rest of the class left the room. The only issue being that the teacher left as well, locking the door behind him, and trapping the trio. Made looked over at Ivan.

"Guess what Ivan?" Made asked, only a little mad. "He went and forgot. The only issue is he forgot us. Thanks for jinxing up." Made crossed her arms.

"Why would he lock the door behind him anyway?" Theo asked, itching the back of his head. "Isn't there safety things in place for that or something?"

"He prefers to keep his door locked to stop students from seeing his private lab." Made explained, turning to the labs door. "Speaking of.."

Ivan gave Made a strong glare. "Made, don't. You don't want to end up like Georgia!" This statement simply confused Theo, being new and all.

Wait, what happened to Georgia, who even is Georgia?" Theo asked frantically, extremely confused, almost demanding an answer. Made walked up to Theo.

"Georgia tried to get into the lab, but was expelled for it. But, Ivan, was Georgia locked in the classroom?" Ivan thought for a minute, seeing Made's point. "We're not breaking and entering, and if we are accused of it, we can tell school we were locked in by that old turd, simple!"

"Still." Ivan started. "I don't feel right about this. It feels wrong."

"Ivan Grefferson!" Made shouted, turning to face him with arms folded. "Since when were you such a goody two shoes?"

"Whenever your out of control, or having a nerd spasm. Or that unholy mixture of the both, whatever we call it. Someone needs to keep you in line!" As the two of them broke into argument, Theo finally broke his silence and intervened.

"Both of you be quiet, I can't think straight!" Theo shouted, silencing the duo. "Your lovers quarrel can happen later. Lets think for a minute." Theo paused, now able to think in the silence. He rested his chin in his hand and closed his eyes briefly, before opening them again. "Does Mr Branwen have any spare keys?"

Made nodded, then turned to Ivan. "Yes, he does. Do you know where he keeps them?" Ivan facepalmed at Made's question. "In his lab! Which means we need to go in and find them!" Made sniggered, starting to act like a child.

"Ivan, looks like we have no choice." Theo told him, patting him on the shoulder. After a sigh, Ivan joined his two friends as they walked into the lab.

-0-0-0-0-0-

The lab seemed bigger than the trio had pictured, seeming to be the same size as the classroom they came from. Several desks were littered around the place, covered in documents, coffee mugs and weird contraptions. The windows were covered with large pieces of black paper, blocking any daylight from entering the room. Towards the corner of the room, there was a weirdly set-up computer system, placed next to two metal doorway-looking things pointed in different directions.

As the group split up to search the room, Theo took a particular interest to this particular setup. He walked up to the computer next to the metal doorways, finding it still logged on. After a few minutes of rooting through files (mainly due to curiosity), he figured out what the metal gateways were for.

"Hey guys!" Theo called over to The others, seeming quite impressed. "Get over here and check this out."

Ivan walked slowly to Theo. "Do I have to man, I'm trying to crack open his confiscation cupboard."

"I thought you didn't feel right about this." Made checked, after looking through tons of blueprints for several misc devices.

"You know what they say about dark places in schools. Bad shit happens in places like this." Ivan argued.

"One, Ivan, that's an urban myth." Theo started. "Secondly, watch this." Theo pressed a key on the computer, activating the two 'doorways' and filling them with green energy, covering the room in a distinct glow. Theo picked up a stone and threw it through one, for it to shoot out of the other. The entire group was in awe.

"IT'S A TELEPORTER! Made yelled, her face in her hands in shock.

"Holy shit man, now that's cool." Ivan said calmly, still trying to keep his 'cool guy' personality that didn't exist.

"I gotta try that." Made briefly said, picking up a stapler from the nearby table and throwing it through the portal. However, as it shot out the other side, it crashed into the computer running the portal itself, sending everything haywire as red warning lights and sirens went off. The boys shifted their faces to Made, glaring at her like wolves. "What? How's that my fault? Who puts a computer at the end of a portal anyway?"

Choosing to ignore Made over their current situation, Ivan started to panic. "Theo, turn this thing off, now!" Ivan pointed to the computer, his voice trembling.

"On it!" Theo called out, dashing over to the computer. Before he could do anything however, the computer keyboard shorted out, jolts of electricity shooting out of it. "You know, that's the reason I'm not a PC gamer."

As the portal system went haywire, several red notices rapidly appeared on the screen, overlapping one another. One of the two interlinked portals shorted out, yet the other remained online. Then, the whole computer screen turned red, with a warning message reading 'warning; implosion imminent' flashing alongside it.

Ivan stepped away from the computer, raising his hands in the air. "Well, safe to say we're fucked!" Ivan declared. "Nice knowing you arseholes." He patted Theo on the back.

"No, it's not over! One of the portals are still online, and it's coordinates have.." Theo briefly paused, staring at the screen in confusion. "Changed to.. Wingdings.. What the fuck?"

Made moved away quickly. "Not a sniff. I'm not going in that thing unless I know exactly where I'm going." She turned to face the stapler she threw through the portals while it was functioning. "Or what will happen to us. Does this thing even work on flesh?"

Theo reached into the portal to prove a point, putting his hand in, then out. "Wanna keep complaining?" Theo tried to keep a straight face, even though he actually couldn't feel his hand whatsoever, but didn't tell Made this in order to prove his point. "Face it guys, it's the best bet we have of getting out of this mess. Wherever we end up won't matter, as long as we're safe."

Ivan walked back a few paces. "Don't need to ask me twice!" He yelled, running face-first into the portal. Theo and Made stared at each other, face-palming simultaneously. Made walked towards the portal.

"If better not regret this." Made cursed, slowly walking through the portal, leaving Theo in room alone.

He sighed. "Jesus Christ dad, why couldn't you let me stay home today?" He moaned to himself, getting a run-up like Ivan. He began running. "Leerooy Jeenkinss!" He yelled, running through the portal. The room quickly exploded two seconds later, destroying the groups way back.