• Published 24th Jul 2017
  • 1,999 Views, 54 Comments

It Runs In the Family - CartoonNerd12



Love has always been important in the Apple family but when somepony stands in the way of that love, can the Apples overcome it?

  • ...
4
 54
 1,999

Chapter 4

Apple Bloom and Pip walked down the streets of Ponyville before stopping in Sugar Cube Corner where they took their seats. They sat close together not letting the other out of their sights.
Mrs. Cake had noticed their stare-fest and shook her head in amusement, thinking, Like mother, like daughter… She could remember the days of when Pear Butter and Bright Mac would sit together at a table and could not stop staring at each other. Naturally once she found out about them dating they were more open about their relationship toward her and in turn she would help them by warning them if their parents were close by.
Then getting back to the business at hoof, she approached them and inquired, "And what can I do for you two this afternoon?" there was a pause and she could see that the two lovebirds were still staring lovingly at the other that she had to clear her throat really loudly to get them to come out it.
Apple Bloom had heard her and broke out the trance first, "Oh! Mrs. Cake! Sorry, we didn't see you there."
The baker merely chuckled, "That's alright, I wouldn't expect anything less from a daughter of my oldest friend…"
AB giggled, "I guess Mom was always lovey-dovey whenever Dad was around, right?"
Mrs. Cake replied with a grin, "Oh, she was."
Pip commented, "I still can't believe they fell in love while their families were fighting like that."
The older mare nodded, "It sure surprised me," she addressed Apple Bloom, "I knew your parents were on good terms but I never knew how good… And shortly after I found out about their relationship, they relied on me to make sure that their parents didn't find them why I can remember them sitting at this very table having a milkshake together when I spotted your grandfather about to come in that I told them to duck under the table and I recall the exact words they exchanged…"


Bright Mac and Pear Butter kept still under the table as they watched Grand Pear making an order at the counter. Mac turned to his beloved and uttered bitterly.
"I'm tired of all this… Our love shouldn't be hidden like this…"
Pear Butter gently took his hoof and calmly told him, "We knew it would be like this. But there's another thing you should know, in the shadows of Ponyville or any other town… and most importantly in my heart… I will always love you…"
Bright Mac smiled at her words and told her, "Well, you do look good in the dark."
She humorously shook her head, "You big goof…" she leaned in for a kiss and he did the same.


Apple Bloom sighed lovingly. She would never get tired of hearing how romantic her parents were.
Pip smiled at his marefriend and then asked Mrs. Cake, "What kind of milkshake did they have?"
She answered, "It was always the same, strawberry."
AB gaped, "Strawberry?!"
Mrs. Cake chuckled, "It's not as if they hated other fruits they had enough of that from their own families."
Pip nodded, "That makes sense."
"But I'll understand if you don't want the shake."
Apple Bloom shook her head, "No, go ahead and give us a strawberry milkshake, I'm curious now why my parents would be okay with drinking it."
Mrs. Cake proclaimed, "Coming right up!" she went into the kitchen.
Pip inquired, "Are you sure? You don't have to if you don't want to."
AB smirked, "Come on, Pip, you know me better than that. I like trying new things. Besides, I remember getting a strawberry milkshake one time but never had the chance to try it given Cousin Babs took it just as Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon took Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle's shakes."
Pip shook his head, "It still truly amazes me to this day how you girls were able to change Diamond like that…"
Apple Bloom shook back, "We didn't change her, she changed herself. We just told her how to do it."
Mrs. Cake came back then declaring, "Here we are! One large strawberry milkshake, enjoy!" she set the glass full of sweetness down to them.
They eyed the two straws in the shake and together they sucked up the yummy treat; all the while looking at each other adoringly.


Sugar Belle was busy making apple creations in the farmhouse kitchen getting ready to sell them in the marketplace. She had finished making an apple pie when Big Mac came from behind her and cover her eyes.
"Guess who?" he asked playfully.
Sugar had a small smile as she said, "Shining Armor."
"Guess again."
"Hmm… I give up, who is it?"
"Really Sugar Belle, you don't recognize your own husband's voice?"
She giggled as she turned around to face him, "It's hard to recognize it when you don't speak more than three sentences per day."
He smirked, "Well there's nothin' to say when I got a wife so in tuned to what I like…"
"I sure do…" she gave him bedroom eyes and wrapped her hooves around him, "Just like how you're in tuned to what I like…" recalling how he built her that pie stand in her bakery back when she was living in Our Town. That was the start of their courtship that eventually led to their marriage, making her the happiest mare in the world.
He inquired to her, "Is everything ready?"
Sugar Belle responded, "Yes, I just need this pie to cool down then we can place it in the wagon along with all these other delicious apple pastries."
"Sounds like a mighty fine plan, darlin'."
"That is honey." she pecked his cheek.
"Any other plans you've been thinkin' about?"
"Not really, it's all that there is today, and it'll be the same way tomorrow."
Mac pondered on that before giving off a warm smile as he wrapped a hoof around her and said, "Maybe there's a way we can change that."
Sugar looked at him with confusion and questioned, "What do you mean?"
He got serious, "Sugar Belle… I know we said we were gonna wait… but well… maybe we should reconsider and start raising a family of our own."
Sugar looked unsure as she replied, "Mac, you know I want kids, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet… I've seen from other ponies how stressful it can get and told me so yourself how hard it was raising Apple Bloom and that it's still hard."
Big Mac quickly responded, "I know I said that but I really think we're ready for this…"
Sugar Belle still looked uncertain as she requested, "Just give me a few days to think about it."
Mac seemed disappointed but his wife's happiness matter to him greatly and told her, "Okay." giving off a tiny smile.
Sugar nuzzled him, "Thanks honey, I really am lucky to have you."
His smile had widened with him telling her, "And I'm lucky to have you…"


Applejack and Spike were at the castle as Applejack exclaimed, "Look at this list Pinkie gave us before she left!" she handed him a long sheet of parchment.
Spike gave a low whistle, "And I thought Twilight's lists were long."
AJ said, "It's her way of making sure that we remember what to do in time for the weddin'."
He suggested, "Well, we could always elope to Las Pegasus."
She waved her hoof dismissively, "Oh no, we are not doin' that! I've been there once before and I never want to go back again!"
He chuckled, "I know that, besides your family and our friends wouldn't like it so much."
"You're darn right they wouldn't." she stated then she looked at the list again and sighed, "I just wish things could be more simple but we still have to decide what kind of floral arrangements we want, and we have to purchase our rings, and to top it off we still need to figure where we're goin' on our honeymoon!"
Spike mentioned, "On the plus side, at least we don't have to worry about getting music since you said Ra-Ra wrote to you that she would perform, and we're having Twilight officiating, the Cakes are taking care of the catering and Pinkie is handling the reception. Rarity is doing wardrobe for all of us not to mention she got Photo Finish to be the photographer."
Applejack sighed in relief, "Yeah, we're lucky to have friends that are makin' this easier for us." she looked at the list again, "Of course Pinkie did leave a huge selection of apple related foods in the list for us to decide for the reception and even the rehearsal dinner!"
Spike furrowed his brow and touched his chin in thought, "I feel like we're missing something… I know there was something we had to do in order to get married."
Starlight was walking by the room with a book magically in front of her when she overheard Spike and inquired, "Did you guys get your marriage license?"
Applejack let out a huge gasp and exclaimed, "The marriage license! I completely forgot about that!"
Spike motioned, "Quick, let's get over to city hall before they close for the day!" he started running out of the room, with his fiancée right behind him. They ran past Starlight and both shouted out, "Thanks Starlight!"
She called back, "No problem!"


Sour Grape-wearing a cloak- was wandering around the busy Ponyville marketplace with her thinking, I see things haven't changed much other then there's now a castle with the new princess living there… But I could care less about that, my only goal is to see Bright Mac and Pear Butter's children suffer the same way I did once upon a time…
Suddenly an orange earth mare and a purple dragon rushed by with them saying, "Excuse us! Coming through! Sorry, in a big hurry!"
She noticed they were heading for city hall but she also recognized them from the mirrors in her cave. The mare was definitely a child of her old friends. With a small smirk she thought, Soon… very soon… Then she went on her way until she spotted a familiar face selling firewood. Putting on her best smile she went toward him.
"Burnt Oak, how wonderful it is to see you here."
The stallion saw her and looked confused for a moment till he squinted his eyes before they widen in shock, "Sour Grape? Is that you?"
She replied sweetly, "Why, yes, it's little old me…"
He gave a hearty laugh, "Well how've you been? We haven't seen hide or hair of you in a very long time!"
Sour did a small giggle, "Sorry about that. I should have left a note but well, I just needed to figure some things out and it took awhile but now I'm back."
Burnt's face grew solemn, "Well… a lot has happen since you've gone…"
Sour pretended to be concern, "Oh really? What?"
He motioned her to follow him, "You better come with me, I think your dear friend Chiffon can explain it better than I could."