• Published 16th Jul 2017
  • 955 Views, 15 Comments

Broken Hearts - Silver Inkwell



Flurry Heart's life has never been the same since her father passed away, she's been trapped by her own mother and kept away from other ponies and she has been isolated for years until she meets a very special pony that will change her life...

  • ...
2
 15
 955

Chapter Five: The Dream/ The Escape

Chapter Five: The Dream/ The Escape

She didn't know it was a dream until Luna came in, however the chocolate covered singing and talking marshmallows, a hand puppet of Discord and a weird animation sequence in a third person view of the fight that she just had with her mother were the first signs and clues of it being a dream, that and the magical enchanted singing and dancing flowers and other stuff too.

Flurry was scared and confused, and she cried out in fear and soon enough a blinding beam of light vaporized every enemy that was on the scene.

Flurry glanced around nervously but then let out a sigh of relief when she saw Princess Luna was there, “So, I suppose that this is just a dream then?”

“Indeed, you catch on faster than most, but I have no idea why, I honestly don't know everything, but I do know this, your fears and hopes are entirely and completely real, but you need to face them before it is too late to change things.”

“Well I’m trying but my mother refuses to listen to reason!”

“I once refused to listen to reason and instead I foolishly believed the lies that the darkness and nightmares fed me, and I made a choice to accept its power, and I became Nightmare Moon, and you know the rest, but every day since then I have regretted my choice and as a result I formed the Tantabus, and Twilight and her friends not only helped me once, but twice, and again many more times. They never ceased to amaze and surprise me, and I could always trust in them to do the right thing when the time came. There is always a struggle between logic and emotion in the mind, too much of either can be unhealthy, one has to learn how to control and balance both which may take time and patience but will be worthwhile, without balance there can be no harmony. I think that right now your mother is acting on the grief of her emotion trying to stay logical and that has made her a bit cold and extreme since she is repressing her thoughts and feelings from others as I once did, and she tells herself and others lies to make the pain easier, but she is so blinded by her own grief and pain that she cannot see the strife that she is causing to others. But I think that when does not listen to logic or reason one needs to snap them back to reality with a different approach, and I find time away from a loved one makes love more intense because absence does very strange and mysterious things to the heart.”

“So, what are you saying then? That I should follow my heart or my mind?”

“I am saying trust whatever you feel is the right thing to do, your instincts, my change to nightmare moon was a very slow process that took years, and it was small choice that I took small steps down towards the darkness, that is how one becomes a monster, not through a big fall, but by tiny steps, the big fall is what others see after much time that they consider before finally turning into a monster, change isn't a thing that takes an instant, it always takes time, it is a series of events rather than one strange and odd event that happened randomly.”

“I still don't get what you’re saying yet,” Flurry said.

“I’m saying that change will come sooner or later to your mother with or without you, but I think that you have to take action to change your life to the way you want it, after all, you can remain a slave for the rest of your life or you can take a risk and maybe have it pay off in the end,” Luna said circling around her as she talked and standing near to Flurry whenever she was done talking to her.

“Wait, so are you saying that I should leave the castle then?”

“I am not suggesting or saying anything that you are not, and I cannot and will not confirm any alleged suggestions or subtle clues and/or hints that I may or may not be giving you right now. All I am saying is listen.”

“Listen to my heart or my mind?” Flurry asked.

Luna smiled at her, “No, listen to your soul, then consult your heart and mind if you must, but your soul cannot lie while your heart and mind both can lie.”

“I don't see how that’s possible, but okay…” Flurry said.

“It’s a metaphor, don't take everything so seriously, not then get some sleep and hopefully by the time morning comes you will have your answer, if not take all the time you need, after all, we wouldn't want you to make a rash choice unless you were completely ready for it, but if you will excuse me I have other dreams to visit and many more ponies to help, but rest well, stay healthy and be safe, I wish you the best of luck for whatever path you decide to go on,” Luna said with a smile flapping her wings as the dream slowly faded out and away to black.

Flurry woke up with a gasp wiping the beads of sweat on her face with one of her blankets taking in the room, well, everything was normal, she should be awake, oh sweet Celestia please don't let this be a dream within a dream, she thought to herself wandering over to the mirror and examining herself, she still had all her teeth, all her hair, and all her normal colors, and still no cutie mark either.

She sighed to herself slightly relieved, well everything still seemed normal, if this was a dream then she hoped it would be a peaceful one.

But this was not a dream, and while things were usually peaceful soon they would not be, but Flurry would not be around to see all that would come to pass.

Flurry needed to escape, but she had no distraction, not even smoke bombs could get past all the guards and it would not stop them, but wait, there was ONE perfect distraction that COULD delay them indefinitely, but no, she couldn't nopony would ever try to do that, not even on a dare for all the gold in the world, they would have to be completely insane, crazy or desperate to do such a thing!

But she didn't see any other choice, and so regretfully she had to say it.

“Discord, I summon thee, from wherever you are I request your help and aid, from the four corners of nowhere to the river of time and the lake of eternity to the pond of nothingness I request that you hear my call and come to me.”

“Did somepony call my name?” Discord said smiling as he randomly popped into the room wearing a black tuxedo and Hawaiian golfing shorts for some strange mysterious reason, and he seemed to be right in the middle of a shot too.

“Yes, I did call you, I need your help,” she said with a sorry sigh.

“Yes, I know, I hate that old spell, personally if I ever did make a spell that summoned myself, not that I would, well I would add a bunch of flare and nonsense, but I suppose it was still a decent try by that old Starswirl of yours.”

“Look, I don't care who made this spell or what you think of it, I need your help!”

“Go on, I’m listening,” he said snapping his fingers making the gold course and his clothes disappear as he laid down on her bed pulling out some nightshades and pulling them over his head as he loudly yawned and looked bored.

“I’m going to try to escape the castle tonight, but I need a distraction…”

“That seems to be such a naughty little idea, not the most original idea but I can still get behind it, but go on, I’m still listening,” he said pulling out a deck of cards and making them fly in random various shapes in the air.

“I was thinking that you could be my distraction,” she said smiling at him

Discord took off his nightshades and slowly smiled at her and then started to laugh, “Oh, that’s such a silly and perfect idea! You’re hilarious, you see I would love to but there’s nothing on earth or Equestria that could convince me to distract the entire royal guard and Cadence from your escape for a few hours much less any longer depending upon how long you want to stay away from this place, besides if I caused too much trouble I could get into big trouble with Celestia and Cadence and Twilight and her friends, and while I don't mind causing trouble, I love it, I certainly DO NOT like the idea of being turned into stone again, or even worse, making Fluttershy angry or disappointed with me, but if that’s all you have to say to me then I suppose I will be going now.”

“No, wait! Please, I'll do anything!” she said and then mentally hoof-slapped herself hard in the face as Discord slowly smiled with evil intent at her.

“Oh really? Anything, including using another old spell to grant me temporary access to all of my old powers while giving you control of me, well somewhat, and did I mention that this spell has the ability to turn me into stone if the one who cast it is disappointed in my results in anyway, and it can only be undone by the one who cast it so that way not even the elements of harmony can affect me?”

“Wait, are you being serious right now?” Flurry asked.

“Yes, of course I am, Starswirl made the spell in an attempt to control me, and I regret to say that the spell does work, he used it on me and ordered me to be kind and nice, he promptly turned me into stone for 100 years while he developed better ways to trap me which he then gave to the princess before releasing me.”

“Wow, that sounds like a really convenient, excellent, wonderful, splendid and…”

“Dues ex Machina spell for the reasons pertaining to get this story moving on, yes, of course it does!” Discord said smiling at her.

“No, I was going to say it’s just what we need,” she said.

“Same difference, but anyhow, use it, but do be specific in your commands otherwise I will find a loophole, heck, I'll probably find one anyways!”

Flurry sighed and started to cast the spell with her words, “Discord, spirit of chaos, bringer of Disharmony and other various random titles, I command you to obey me and listen to my words, I bind you to the air, the earth, the water, and the fire, I bind you to the natural elements of the earth and Equestria, I bind you to the elements of harmony which are laughter, kindness, generosity, magic, honesty, and loyalty. I bind your body, mind, heart and soul to my own will, I bind you to whatever may bind you in this world or another, should you fail my commands then you are subject to whatever penalty I shall exact upon you, and you cannot be released until I speak the magic words to do so, with this I do bind me until such a time that I wish not to and in return you may use your abilities so far in as I wish, and with this I do finish the spell and so now listen to my commands and mark my words wisely or you will suffer the price later on.”

“I never understood why Starswirl had to be so long with his spells, probably because the author thinks olden time ponies spoke that way, what a stupid author, anyhow miss Flurry Heart, what are your commands?”

Flurry considered this question for a few minutes careful not to speak a single word until she was ready even if he did try to distract her. “First of all, you are not to try to distract me in any way or manner while I think or appear to be thinking or when I say I need time to think, secondly you are not to cause any lasting or permanent harm to anypony in this empire, surrounding areas, or Equestria and you are not to kill anypony either, and this also applies even if they try to harm kill or trap you or in any way annoy you. Thirdly when I do return I expect you to return everything back to the way it is so you better make use of the time you have. Fourth, I request that you NOT leave the Crystal empire or this castle, and fifth, I order you to distract the guards and my mother when I do finally decide that I am ready for my escape, and only then may you use your powers as you wish and not any sooner, do you understand?”

“Yes, I understand perfectly, but can I please have an estimate on when that might be?” he asked politely smiling at her.

“No, you may not, now then if you don't mind I need to get a message to a friend and make my plan to escape tonight, so I need peace, got it?”

“Sure thing, too bad you don't have my powers otherwise you could break the fourth wall easily and escape this story into whatever one you wanted, probably even one where your father is still alive, but that’s enough being meta and deep thinking about alternate universes for today,” he said still smiling at her.

“Please try to keep the smiling down to a minimum, it disturbs me.”

“But I love smiling, I always go to work with a smile on my face!”

“Yeah, whatever, I don't care, just shut up and wait for my next command.”

Discord looked like he was about to say something but a spare hand out of nowhere popped up and put a zipper and chain lock over his mouth quickly shutting him up. Discord waited patiently until nightfall bored out of his mind until finally another pony showed up, “Glad you got my message.”

“Me too, glad to see you again, but wait, is that Discord?”

“Yes, it is and get this, he’s under my control, and speaking of that, you can speak now Discord,” she said smiling at him.

Discord unzipped his zipper on his mouth and took a huge breath in, “Finally! I was suffocating in there! It’s very hard to hold one’s breath for so long much less not be my usual self! That was intense even for me!” he said.

“Well soon you will have all the fun you want when I say so.”

“Alright, fine then, just make your escape quick, okay?”

“We will, Discord, feel free to have fun while you’re away.”

“No, you’re doing it wrong! You said that I could have all the fun I want when you say so, not when you say what you just said back there!”

“Uh, okay then, so?” she said unsure if this would work or not

“Thank you! Finally, I can have some fun, I can't wait to turn this castle into chees unlike that time where I couldn't for Celestia’s but as always, I think this is a gouda idea, get it? That’s the first of many cheesy puns I have.”

Shadow smiled at him while Flurry physically hoof-slapped herself, “That pun was REALLY grating on my nerves, if you know what I mean.”

Discord smiled and laughed at him, “Finally a pony that has a sense of humor!

This is such a rare and welcome occasion, what’s your name?””

“My name is Shadow Moon, and it is an honor to meet you sir.”

“Wow, not only do you have a sense of humor but also manners too, I can't believe this, is the world ending, have I finally caused world chaos?”

“No, it’s just that not everypony can always appreciate the talent of a trickster.”

“That much is certainly true, well if I ever see you again I just might teach you a thing or two,” he said smiling at him.

“I would like that very much,” Shadow said.

“Enough! We’re just wasting time sitting here and talking,” Flurry said.

“I couldn't agree anymore,” Discord said with a smile popping off and away as Flurry looked around nervously wondering what he could be up to.

“Come on, we better hurry before he does anything too terrible…”

Too late, there was already a fire alarm and half a dozen other alarms going off.

“Trust me, you do not want to know what he is doing right now,” Shadow said.

“Yeah, I think so too,” Flurry said grabbing Shadow’s hoof as they slowly descended down to the ground as every guard rushed by the two of them towards the source of the alarms too concerned about the castle rather than them.

“Well, what do you know, that actually worked out,” she said.

“I’m almost just as surprised as you are,” Shadow said.

“Indeed, now then, where do you wish to go first?”

Flurry grinned at him, “Wherever my fair stallion says his soul should go to after consulting his heart and mind for some extra advice,”

He laughed at this, “That sounds very confusing, but I accept your craziness and substitute it with my own reality, anyhow, away we go, alons-y!”

And with that said they slowly trotted off the distance as Discord was starting his fun in the castle turning it into a literal block of cheese (the author wishes you to inform you that this was a terrible and stupid idea and any story with Discord is completely pointless, please keep reading), it was a block of cheese that would soon get moldy and rot away if left out long enough, but fate had a way, even if strange and mysterious and Shadow and Flurry would not be back for a very long time, and that is why and how Discord became king of the crystal empire and devourer of cheese until they finally did decide to come back again.

It was also how he made fan shipping dreams come true too.

But that’s a long story for another day, on with this one.