• Published 25th Jun 2017
  • 2,408 Views, 43 Comments

The Change in Our Wind - Sapphire Harmony

  • ...
2
 43
 2,408

Chapter 8 - Air, Wind, and Sun

"Like I told Wave Chill before, I don't exactly know as many Wonderbolts like Rainbow does. What should we expect from Blaze?" Twilight asked Soarin as they flew towards The Tasty Treat.

"She's pretty laid-back, definitely not on the dramatic side," Soarin answered.

As Twilight asked both Wave Chill and Soarin about Blaze and what to expect, Dash was slowly losing her cool. Everytime Soarin even mentioned her name, Dash would roll her eyes or mutter something to herself. Airbrush, who had been watching Dash's silent reactions, flew closer to her.

"I see you're a little upset over this Blaze and Soarin situation," She spoke in a volume only Dash could here.

"I'm fine," Dash responded flatly.

Airbrush raised an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced. "Dash, sweetheart, it's okay to be upset over this. I went through something quite similar many years back."

Dash, who had been glaring at the city below them, finally turned to face the mare. "What do you mean?"

"Well, it happened probably around the time you were born. I was a mare around your age and had my stallion. His name was Wind Waker."

Dash nodded. "Yeah, Wave Chill and Soarin were talking about him earlier..." Dash trailed off as she recalled that conversation from just a few hours ago.

Airbrush chuckled quietly. "He was a very good flier, gave the Wonderbolts a new wave of fame when he arrived. He actually invented the Dust Bowl Canon. Anyway, it was before he was officially a Wonderbolt, you know when he was just a reserve. Wind Waker, he had his own Blaze. Her name, though, was Sun Chaser. Now, she was a sweet little thing to everypony. Always helped out when you needed it, kept all promises, she wouldn't ever tell your secrets even if you turned her best friend into a cupcake. When Wind Waker and I had met Sun Chaser, she was already a Wonderbolt, so when she decided to give him 'private training', I didn't think much of it since she was a nice mare."

Dash recognized the name Sun Chaser, but couldn't recall ever meeting her. Airbrush continued.

"One day, I had just delivered mail to the Wonderbolts Headquarters while Wind Waker and Sun Chaser were 'training'. I saw the two, and I went to wave but I saw a very strange exchange broke out between the two. Neither saw me at first, so Sun Chaser thought they were alone. Wind Waker had finally completed a stunt that he troubled with and Sun Chaser's idea was to reward him by trying to kiss him."

Dash blinked. Airbrush had gone through something very similar to her own situation. Usually, Dash wouldn't really care to ask about relationship drama, but this time was different. Airbrush seemed to favor Dash over Soarin, and she was the closest thing Dash had to a mother since she hasn't talked to hers in a good amount of years. This was her best shot at getting the right advice.

"How did you react to that?"

Airbrush chuckled lightly again and shook her head with a smile before continuing. "Sweetie, I was so angry at the moment that I'm surprised my head didn't explode with rage. Of course, Wind Waker rejected the kiss before noticing me, and he flew after me immediately. There were so many emotions going through my head that I could barely see where I was flying off to after that. He did eventually sit me down and told me everything. I confronted Sun Chaser later on, and that sweet mare I thought I knew was gone. She had been using that act to get closer to Wind Waker and steal him from me, but obviously, that didn't work now did it?"

Dash smiled as a reply before another question popped into her mind. "Did you just believe his word? It's really not my place to ask but how did you just believe him?"

Airbrush laughed. "Rainbow Dash, when he said he didn't like Sun Chaser like that I thought he was wasting my time. I'll tell you what, though. The only reason I didn't break up with him on the spot was that there was something in my heart telling me that he was being honest. After talking to Sun Chaser, I knew for sure that this wasn't Wind Waker's fault. About two years after that incident, we got married and had two children of our own. Emerald Skies and Silver Moon," Airbrush sighed happily as she finished her story.

Dash smiled as it grew silent between the two mares. That was until Airbrush spoke up once more.

"Rainbow, I know how you feel. I see in your eyes that you're hurting. We both know Soarin, he's like a son to me. He wouldn't take you for granted. If you saw his face when Fleetfoot told him about the headlines, you would believe him. He may be an idiot most of the time, but he has definitely learned a few loyalty lessons from you over the past few years. He's been trying everything he can to fix this, but it's hard with the tour and events. You being here is making everything a lot easier for all of us."

Dash looked away as a dark question popped into her head, one that has been there since this all started. "What happens if he and Blaze are actually a thing and he's just really good at acting innocent?"

"Do whatever you think is best if that happens. I can tell you that I'll make sure to make his life a nightmare no matter what you choose."

Dash laughed and soon Airbrush joined too. She felt so much better after that talk with Airbrush. She might have just met her that day, but Dash could tell that Airbrush was most likely the backbone of the Wonderbolts, keeping everyone in their places when Spitfire couldn't. All the weight that had been lifted off her shoulders, however, soon returned when The Tasty Treat came into view. This visit could end in two different ways, and Dash was hoping for the best.

Author's Note:

I did edit Airbrush into joining the trip just so I could write this chapter. I originally thought of making a flashback chapter instead of this, but I thought I'd get it confused with my plans for the next chapter. :derpytongue2:

There's a very good chance that there are a lot of grammatical mistakes because I started this chapter late and finished late and yeah. Just let me know and I'll fix it as much as I can.

Also, my little cousins are coming to visit in a few days so I don't know if I'll be able to finish this story before then. I'll try, so don't worry too much just yet. :twilightsmile:

Thanks for reading!