• Published 25th Jun 2017
  • 2,411 Views, 43 Comments

The Change in Our Wind - Sapphire Harmony

  • ...
2
 43
 2,411

Chapter 4 - Canterlot Part Two

Canterlot Stadium, an hour before Rainbow and Twilight arrived
The Wonderbolts flew towards the stadium to get dressed and warm up. While they flew in to get ready for the show, Spitfire, who also read the paper about Blaze, eyed Soarin, who was getting his goggles out of his bag. She flew over and landed next to him.

"What's up, Spits?" Soarin asked as he rummaged through his bag.

"I should be asking you the same thing," Spitfire glared.

Soarin stopped rummaging through his bag and looked at his captain with a questioning expression. Spitfire continued.

"I thought you were with that Rainbow mare."

Soarin then realized what she had meant. He too had known about the papers that said he was dating Blaze and was prepared to explain everything about it.

"I promise it's not what you think."

Spitfire rolled her eyes. "That's reassuring," She responded sarcastically.

"No really, I'm not dating Blaze. I don't even like her in that way at all. I'm telling you, I would NEVER cheat on Dash. She's way too important to me."

"Oh this should be good," Spitfire rolled her eyes again, "Tell me why I should believe you right now."

Spitfire and Soarin had always been best friends for as long as they can remember. They have always worked together since Flight School to get into the Wonderbolts, and when they did and she became the captain, she made Soarin second in command. She knew that Rainbow Dash and Soarin were closer than even he and Spitfire, so she wanted to believe that Soarin was as loyal as his marefriend. She wanted Dash on the team as well, so she hoped that this wouldn't hurt Dash's chances of joining the Wonderbolts.

"It was right after the conference in Fillydelphia. Remember, they had you, Fire Streak, me, then Blaze in that order sitting." Soarin began.

"Yeah, yeah. I know that part. I was there."

"Exactly, and don't you remember when the press began asking questions? First, it was the usual 'how hard was it to pull off that stunt' questions, but then it got more personal?"

Spitfire thought for a moment. Where exactly was Soarin going with this? She remembered most of the questions, at least what they asked her. She remembered when Fire Streak spoke. She remembered the crazy reactions from the reporters. Then she remembered it all.


Soarin sat in the conference room bored out of his mind. He loved talking about his job, but it was as if all reporters had asked the same questions in different ways.

"Soarin, how did you pull off that last stunt?"

"How did you feel when you finally pulled off that last stunt?"

"Any word of advice for how to pull off a stunt like the last one?"

The reporters continued to ask the same question about the same stunt, until one reporter, a mare with light pink skin, green eyes, and poofy yellow hair, spoke up.

"Soarin, you've been quite distracted today since this conference begun. Why is that?"

Soarin tried to think of a good answer. He couldn't say he was annoyed or tired of them, that would kill his image. As he thought, Fire Streak answered for him.

"Well you see, Soarin here has a certain mare on his mind," he said, before immediately covering his mouth with his hooves.

He was not supposed to say anything about that.

All the reporters and photographers quickly focused on Soarin, asking everything about this mystery mare. Blaze, who had been sitting by him, tried to think of something to help the poor stallion. Then she stood up.

"EVERYPONY SHUT UP!"

Everyone stared at her, including Soarin.

Blaze sat back down. "Thank you," she put her arm around Soarin, "No more questions about his love life, he has to stay focused on the tour and he doesn't need to tell anypony about his relationships. Now, let's move on."

Blaze sat back down when Soarin spoke to her.

"Thanks for that, I really can't start talking about us without letting," he lowered his voice so only Blaze could hear, "Dash knowing."

Blaze smiled before lightly punching him in the arm. "Anything for a friend. Plus, it can get pretty stressful for sudden fame, no matter if you wanted it or not."


Spitfire listened to his story, an eyebrow raised the whole time. She remembered Blaze yelling for everyone to shut up, and she remembered Fire Streak saying something about Soarin's relationship with Dash. She just didn't understand one thing.

"How did they get the idea that you and Blaze were a thing then?"

Soarin shrugged. "I don't know. Fleetfoot only told me about the headlines about it, I never actually seen it for myself. She probably still has the paper, I did only find out about it yesterday night."

Spitfire nodded before flying off to find Fleetfoot. She thought about the situation as she flew around.

I know most of what happened in that story is true. I want to believe him, but I just can't until I see the paper.

She had finally landed next to Fleetfoot, who greeted her with a smile.

"Hey, caps! What's shaking?"

"Shaking?" Spitfire tilted her head and smiled.

Fleetfoot shrugged. "I want something that's symbolic for me. Like when ponies hear or see it, they'll think of me immediately!"

Spitfire rolled her eyes playfully. "Whatever you say."

Fleetfoot laughed. "Anyway, what do you need?"

"I was wondering if you had the paper about Soarin."

"Oh," Fleetfoot stopped to think, "I should have it somewhere. I was going to show Soarin but he was kinda freaking out over it. Why do you need it?"

"Soarin told me what really happened but I still want to make sure."

"What did he say?"

"Well, everything that he said before Blaze told everypony to shut up was true, but I just don't see where they could've picked up the idea that they're together. He said that after she yelled, Blaze demanded everypony to stop questioning about his love life."

Fleetfoot then began to search through her bag and pulled out the newspaper. She studied the picture and skimmed through the story before giving it to Spitfire.

"Did Soarin mention that?" Fleetfoot pointed to the picture, which shows Blaze wrapping an arm over Soarin. Spitfire nodded.

"He said that she did that after she yelled at the press."

Fleetfoot shrugged. "You should definitely ask Blaze about it. She'd tell you the truth, she's almost as honest as that... apple mare."

Spitfire nodded. "You mind if I hold onto this for a little bit? I don't know if Blaze has one on her like you."

Fleetfoot shook her head. "Go ahead, but you should probably get ready. The show starts in an hour and we kinda need to get dressed and warm up." She motioned her hoof towards the clock.

Spitfire nodded before both mares began to prepare for the show.

Author's Note:

Look, a whole chapter with just the Wonderbolts! Fun, right?

So, we now know Soarin's side of the story. Will Blaze say the same? How will Soarin feel when he sees Rainbow Dash? Ooh, things are getting juicy! :pinkiecrazy: