• Published 25th Jun 2017
  • 2,408 Views, 43 Comments

The Change in Our Wind - Sapphire Harmony

  • ...
2
 43
 2,408

Chapter 3 - Canterlot Part One

The Mane Six stood at the Ponyville station waiting for the train that would take Dash and Twilight to Canterlot.

"I don't understand, Rainbow dear. Why not take anything to Canterlot? It is pretty far," Rarity questioned.

"We're not going to be there long. A trip to Canterlot is only two hours and I'd rather get this ordeal over and done with." Dash explained, adding a tone of annoyance at the end.

Twilight waved her hoof towards Rarity as a sign of reassurance. "Don't worry. In case something happens, I already packed everything we'll need if our stay goes longer than expected." Rarity sighed in relief.

Applejack looked at Dash, who anxiously waited for the train, and walked up to her.

"You know, sugar cube, you don't have to go right now if you're not ready."

Dash shook her head. "I have no choice, AJ. Soarin's last letter said he was going to be in Canterlot until tomorrow night. If I don't see him before then, I won't get the answers I need. Plus if he really is with Blaze, I need to break it off before I end up looking like an idiotic fan who just wanted to pretend we were dating."

Applejack looked at her friend quizzically, but then realized what she had meant. She forgot that Dash and Soarin had kept their relationship a secret for the sake of the press. So if this went south, Soarin could easily call her out as a crazy fan who wanted attention, and the press would believe it. Applejack continued to comfort Dash until the train finally arrived.


It had been a silent trip to Canterlot. When they began to walk around the city, Twilight finally spoke up.

"I talked to Princess Celestia, she said that we can stay in the castle while we're here."

Dash, who had been looking at the ground since they arrived, shrugged. "That's cool."

Twilight frowned, then spoke again. "She also said she was going to hold a huge ceremony in honor of your awesomeness."

"That's cool."

Twilight stopped walking, which made Dash finally look up at her.

"Rainbow Dash, what's going on? You never let anything take you this far down. And you've been through so much."

Dash rolled her eyes. "Well, this is different, Twilight! Yes, I have been through a lot, but this isn't the usual 'let's save Equestria for the millionth time this week' situation!" She said angrily.

Twilight looked at her with concern. Dash sighed.

"I'm sorry, I just-" Dash was cut off by a hoof wave from Twilight.

"There's no need to explain yourself. I understand. You don't deserve this, and I know it's taken a toll on you. You acted like it didn't affect you, but I could tell that it's been killing you."

Dash folded her ears. She couldn't hide this stuff from Twilight forever, she's literally the Princess of Friendship. Dash took a deep breath.

"What did I do?"

"What? What do you mean?"

"Did I accidentally hurt him or something that made him do this?" Dash's voice cracked.

Twilight pulled her into a hug as Dash let everything out. This was extremely difficult for Dash to deal with. She had always thought she was too good for any stallion. When she began dating Soarin, she thought nothing could stop her. Now, she felt as if she was this weak little mare that couldn't do anything right.

"Listen closely," Twilight pulled away from the hug to face Dash, "we don't know for sure if he really is cheating on you. I'm sure it's a big misunderstanding. If this is true, just know that this is not your fault and you didn't do anything to deserve this. You have me, Fluttershy, Applejack, Spike, Rarity, and Pinkie right here for you no matter what."

Dash smiled at her friend then sniffed and wiped the remaining tears away.


When they finally made it to their rooms and Twilight found a good place to put her bags, they began talking about Dash's plan involving Soarin.

"I know the Wonderbolts have a show in an hour, and again tomorrow at the same time. I was thinking I should just talk to him afterward to see what's going on. I know I can get in without any big problem, I am a reserve after all."

"That seems like a good idea. Any idea what to say to him?"

"No, but I'll probably come up with something. I did when I talked to him back in... Manehatten..." Dash's ears dropped at the memory of that night. It was one of the best nights of her life, but now she wasn't so sure.

Twilight pulled her into another hug before speaking again.

"Well, if you want to get to the show, we should head there soon."

Dash nodded as they began getting ready for the show that could either fix everything or ruin Dash and Soarin's relationship.

Author's Note:

I really hate it when Rainbow cries :fluttercry:

Ah, it's so sweet seeing a friend help another during times like this. But who knows if Twilight's right about this new relationship being a big misunderstanding? I wonder what kind of excuses Soarin is going to make up once they finally reunite after the show... This is very interesting indeed... :trollestia::raritywink:

Thanks for reading!