• Published 23rd Jun 2017
  • 742 Views, 27 Comments

Order by Destruction - All Art Is Quite Useless



Discord is roused from his age old sleep, Rainbow is visited in her own. The Princess of the Night has call for both of their services in a covert quest that will rock Equestria to its core.

  • ...
0
 27
 742

An Invasion of Privacy

Brief consideration turned to minutes of deliberation as Luna floated on the precipice of many ponies' dreams. Here, their most private inner thoughts were brought to life by their subconsciousness, not of their own volition, and they were truly vulnerable.

Luna had perfected the art of thought invasion, as well as telepathy, a very long time ago, but she found that dream walking was a far more intimate means of gathering information on a subject. The dreaming mind brought forth latent desires and insecurities, exemplified them, showed a matter for what it truly was, or completely shrouded it in riddle.

It was all a matter of reading between the lines. While Luna was so learned in matters of the psyche, she knew that she could not simply analyse her way to this encounter. It was likely to be trying, no matter how she might preempt the result.

Of course, she had studied the pony in question, even if they were not aware of that. Knowing that such a situation might arise at some point in future, Luna had made rough plans as to what preventative measures she might take, who she might rely on. The problem was that she had only had less than a year to do so.

Luna found herself walking through thin air, pacing back and forth, crossing a party, an ornate garden, a brutal assault; her eyes lingered on the third scene for a second or two before she brushed it off, throwing her mane and staring forwards with determination. We have no time for these woes, not on this night.

Luna continued to walk, passing many dreams by, including the occasional nightmare, which she grimaced at. Her mind was like a directory in this realm, she knew where to find her subject, and with the location in mind, could teleport to her in an instant. Her reluctance to do so, coupled with her continuous striding in its general direction, gave credence to her hesitation, as well as her refusal to give in despite it.

It gave Luna time to think, once she was able to block out the laughter, the conversation, the screams. It would always be there: Merging, coalescing, overlapping, never completely coherent but constantly clear. Still, with enough practice, Luna was able to block it, as she did now.

Even the screams gave her comfort, but that was not her concern now. There are many that would be far more amicable, more agreeable. Luna stalled for a moment, knowing this to be true.

But, there are none more trustworthy.

Mayhaps this is true, Luna started, Though shaln't we consider those who are properly trained?

To be trained is not to be equipped nor capable, few are both, less possess the trinity.

Luna was tempted to conjure a mirror image of herself, it might make this debate easier. She abstained, not wishing to prolong matters.

Would we be caught betwixt the vice of uncertainty 'til the walls fell, and things were no more?

More screams, panting, a forest, dilated pupils and the stench of blood. Better than silence, there was no comfort in that empty void. Still, she would impart a gift unto this stallion, one she never wished to receive. She robbed him of the nightmare, leaving nothing in her wake, as the afflicted fell into a calm and empty slumber.

Decisive action is needed. There should be reassurance in her strength and ability, scarcely any compare.

As well as her vanity, Luna snorted.

Then she'll be in good company, her voice chimed in brief joviality.

We should not continue to stall, let us go there now.

With that, Luna dissipated into mist, reappearing on the edge of an unfamiliar setting. Honestly, Luna knew the urgency of this meeting, and was angry at herself for allowing things to drag on this long. She approached the edge of her subject's constructed reality, vaguely curious as to what her saviour might be dreaming of.

Once the veneer of the realm's void had been lifted, once Luna had crossed the threshold, she instantly wished she could have vanished, came back another day.

Before her, a lush mountaintop landscape sat, the peaks brushing against cumulus clouds, some of which appeared to have been interfered with. Cloudstone constructs mixed with a few earth pony structures, which sat on the flat mountainous peak.

There were no stairs to this place, no means to walk to the summit. The ravine situated on the underside of the mountain spouted clear and unblemished water, an enticing offer to the thirsty. In the distance, there sat a rainbow, although it appeared to move and shift, situated in such a strange place, almost seeming to mimic a waterfall.

The buildings were more vague, Luna registered as she wandered through the unfamiliar setting. She noted that some of the further buildings looked as if they were a brief sketch, and furthest off, she could see nothing but randomly dotted hills. The interiors of most buildings were essentially blank, devoid of furniture or decor of any kind.

Luna had seen this before. When a pony had a vision of a place they knew existed, but hadn't in fact been to --or at least been to recently-- their mind would compensate by putting the most detail into their most vivid memories about the location, and brushing over the rest. It reminded Luna of many painters she had met, with their tendency to obscure the background in order to exemplify the main article, highlight its splendor.

All of this was not what gave Luna pause. No, her main issue was with the soft noises emanating from the one building that the dreamer had deigned to provide an interior. From what she could discern, the soft mewls and bleats, oddly feline in nature, were examples of anything but a chaste dream.

The sound was far off, but outside of the walkway of collective fantasy, there were no other noises to drown it out. It was oddly embarrassing, even if she could not fully ascertain what was going on, she had a pretty good guess.

We must persist with our meeting. Simply undo the dream and commence with communications.

Luna considered this for a moment, then shook her head. No, we must not alienate her, nor distress her. We will present ourselves to her in a simple manner, rather than shattering her illusion.

A drawn out groan, followed by a short giggle halted Luna's train of thought, bringing colour to her cheeks. While she knew she had no place interrupting this dream, she nonetheless found herself irritated by its creator for subjecting her to it.

Do we really want to be here right now? Luna's head tilted as she considered the many reasons she had not wished to pursue this course of action in the first place, knowing that wasn't what she was really asking herself right now.

A short scraping sound followed by a few more giggles brought her back to false reality. Enough, we must go in there and stop this depravity. Whatever vile thing we may witness inside, we cannot attack her for it, our need is too desperate.

Mentally steeling herself, Luna walked toward the source of the noise, which grew in volume. She started to hear other, miscellaneous voices, all female. Luna would have been curious if she wasn't so disturbed by the whole ordeal.

As Luna reached the door, she heard a soft thumping. Almost losing her nerve, she went to turn away, and then with a last burst of determination, bursting her indecision, she kicked the door open, ready to face whatever sordid event was occurring--

--Only to find her saviour, the element bearer, Rainbow Dash, laid on a white table, sheet clad, as another pegasus, dressed in a blue and yellow uniform, chopped at her back with both forehooves, rapidly bringing them down on the table, thumping repetitively.

Luna stopped still, raising an eyebrow. What in Equestria is happening here? After a few moments, another uniform clad pony started to knead at one of Rainbow's back legs, and the third proceeded to clean her feathers, wings laid out along the table.

Taking her eyes away from the confusing obscurity, Luna found herself staring at a statue, sat in the corner of the room furthest from the door. A statue that upon closer inspection she found to bear the likeness of the pegasus currently receiving so many odd ministrations.

Luna noted that Rainbow Dash had been depicted wearing a uniform similar to those with her, and her pose was striking, almost regal. As she inspected the statue further, she found how lifelike the qualities were fascinating. Clearly, this image was very important to Rainbow Dash.

She stared for so long, absorbing this information, that she barely noticed the cessation of the thudding.

When she turned, her saviour was sat up on the table, staring straight at her, a mixture of fear and embarrassment adorning her features.

"Uhh..." Rainbow stammered, "What the heck are you doing here?"

"We should ask what you are doing with so many partners, is one not enough for you?" Luna answered without any thought.

"Huh?!" Rainbow blushed fiercely, regarding the three other ponies surrounding her. "What are you talking about?! It's a freakin' sports massage!"

Luna was unfamiliar with the term. "Sports massage?" she responded slowly and uncertainly, as if the combination of words was alien to her.

"Yeah!" Rainbow stood, clearly more lucid since her first interaction with Luna, "What did you think was happening?!"

"We must admit, your actions appeared quite shameful. As we're aware, touching another in such a manner is reserved for a lover or consort."

"Huh?" Rainbow's eyes eventually widened. "That's a totally different thing! This is just a way to stop your muscles from being tense after a long workout!"

"Is that so?" Luna asked. "We were not aware of this. And, forgive our intrusion, you have had a day filled with exertion?"

"As a matter of fact, I have!" Rainbow's face instantly became smug, "Flying with the 'bolts all day is no easy feat. Well, for them, at least."

"The Bolts?" Luna questioned.

Rainbow's face went blank. After a few seconds of sitting dumbstruck, she answered with total disbelief. "The Wonderbolts?"

Luna gave no answer.

"The fastest fliers in Equestria?"

"That would make sense, if you're their leader. We've been led to believe that you are the fastest flier in Equestria, Rainbow Dash."

"Well, only according to Celestia," Rainbow grinned, her eyes narrowed. "You've seriously never heard of the Wonderbolts, though? Where have you been, living under a rock?"

"On one, actually," Luna smirked. She was actually familiar with this idiom.

"What do you mean? And, how did you know that about me, anyway? Do we know eachother?" Rainbow only seemed to study her visitor for a second before the dream's veil was lifted, and her natural perception began to kick in.

"Nightmare Moon!" Rainbow shot up, standing on the table, as the Wonderbolts around her faded into nothingness. Apparently, they were not tethered to her dream any more. Less than a second after she stood, she gave Luna another cursory glance and flinched in realisation. "No, Princess Luna... Nightmare Moon was taller, more slender." Another second passed. "Her wings were more batlike, her eyes were more narrow, even her eyelashes were sharper."

Luna almost blushed at Rainbow's blunt assessment of her body, despite being so impressed by her recollection, as well as her perception. "Do you know why we are here, Rainbow?"

"Not really," Rainbow shrugged. "I've not been dreaming about princesses lately or anything."

"That is not relevant, we came to you."

"Well, duh," Rainbow laughed, "It's my dream, that's kinda how it works."

"No, we control your dream, Rainbow Dash."

"Nuh, uh! Watch," Rainbow grinned, springing off of the table, looping once, and landing on nothing. Her surroundings were completely black, flat and level, devoid of anything but the princess standing beside her. "Ah!" Rainbow yelled, "What the hell just happened?"

A blink, and they materialised in Luna's reconstruction of her own bedchambers, on the balcony where the physical her really stood. Smiling, she turned to Rainbow. "As we've said, we control your dreams, and those of all others. The night is our domain, and that includes the dreams of ponies."

It took Rainbow a second to process this. "Then," she started, shakily, "You're the real Princess Luna?"

"Indeed, we are."

Rainbow's bow was sharp, hurried, and brief. Luna strained not to laugh. "I'm so sorry, your highness, I thought you were just a dream or something, I swear, I didn't mean to be so disrespectful."

A couple of seconds passed, and Rainbow gasped, mortified. "Oh jeez, that means you just saw my dream, doesn't it? Please don't tell anyone, I--"

"Rainbow Dash." Luna said with a small amount of force, causing Rainbow to stop hyperventilating. "We would never betray your trust in such a way. We owe you a debt of gratitude, after all."

"Wait... We? Who else knows?"

"We do," Luna stated, rather plainly.

"Yeah, you and who else?"

"Only us," Luna repeated.

"As in, 'me and you' us?"

"Yes, you. And us, also," Luna assured, growing slightly irritated.

Rainbow looked around for a third pony. When she didn't find one, she asked, "Who is 'us'?"

At this point, Luna realised the source of Rainbow's confusion. "We are," she said, pointing to herself. "Ahem, I am."

"You are? Then why not just say that?" Rainbow quizzed.

"You would question how your princess speaks when we choose to visit you?" Luna deflected.

"Well, you did interrupt a pretty good dream," Rainbow smiled, staring into space.

"With good reason. We require your assistance in a matter most grave."

"Me? Howcome?" Rainbow wondered aloud, looking at Luna with a newfound curiosity.

"Well, aside from the previously discussed claim of your speed, agility, and flying skill, we happen to be aware of the feat you accomplished in front of our sister. A sonic rainboom whilst carrying multiple ponies. In all our years, we have only bore witness to one sonic rainboom, and it nearly killed the performer. There is no way he would have survived if doing it with weight also."

"So, what you have in mind has something to do with speed?" Rainbow asked, her wings twitching at the prospect.

"Nay, but it will likely play a part. Another reason we have chosen you is your genealogy. We are aware that you are descended from one of Hurricane's best scouts, your powers of perception may dwarf our own. There are other reasons, also, but we shall refrain from discussing them all now, as we have little time at hoof."

Rainbow slowly nodded, urging Luna to continue.

"All will be explained in due course, but know this: The task we have for you, you will not embark upon alone. We will be with you at all times, and another too. It will be long, and it will be arduous, and at times you may not be able to see those close to you. At times you may find yourself to miss home very much indeed, but these are the sacrifices we must make."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Rainbow cut her off, "You want me to leave Ponyville?"

"At times, yes," Luna nodded, her face glum. "We know this is sad news for you, Rainbow, but there is no other way. A great, incomprehensible evil will be unleashed upon Equestria, and we need you to help stop it, there is no other way."

"Why me? Why not one of the royal guards, or something?" Rainbow's earlier confidence seemed to be replaced with jitters.

"As we have said, you possess qualities that will prove invaluable to Equestria, it can be no one else." Far more than you know, young Rainbow.

"Do I have any say in this?" Rainbow searched Luna's eyes, apparently in search of reassurance.

"If we said you did, would you really refuse us, knowing your entire country is at stake?"

Rainbow paused here, considering Luna's words. After a good deal of time, most of which she spent looking out over a picturesque scene of midnight Canterlot, she spoke, her tone sorrowful. "I don't think I could, princess."

Luna placed a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, her form especially petite in comparison to her. "We see a great many things in your future, Rainbow Dash, and despair is not one of them. Do this one deed for us, and you will be rewarded with a great life, one much like the one you envisioned in your dream, I promise you that." Truly, Luna knew she could make no such promise. While she could see possible versions of the future, she had no assurance that things would pan out that way, or that her plan would even succeed.

"A-And you're totally sure about that?" Rainbow stuttered.

"I am, brave pony."

A couple of seconds, and Rainbow briefly returned the contact before backing away. "Alright," she shook her head, clearing her throat. "Okay, tell me what needs to be done."

"It will be easier to explain in the waking world, Rainbow, but we will tell you one thing now. Beings of great and terrible power will return to Equestria soon. They existed in the ancient times, before we and Celestia, and once fought for the ownership of this world. The ones they fought with created the alicorns, and many of the other races that populate this fair earth. They are gone now, and we are all that's left to hold them at bay. Doing so will be trying and difficult, but we have full faith in your abilities."

"Okay, okay, so let me get this straight." Rainbow's ears folded back, her eyes narrowed. "There's a load of evil guys coming to take over Equestria? If that's the case, why don't we just tell Celestia? Isn't she the most powerful pony alive?"

Luna's face became stern. "Listen to us, Rainbow. Celestia cannot find out. Not now, not ever. If she were to discover this threat, the results would be something far worse than what we are currently against, Equestria would never be the same again."

"Why not? I thought Princess Celestia could do anything?" Confusion was painted across Rainbow's face.

"Do not question us on this, Rainbow Dash. Now, we'll expect you at the castle tomorrow, two o'clock at the latest, that should give you time to finish your weather schedule for the day. Do not make any indication that you are headed to Canterlot. Do not fly here, take the train. Guards take note of anything that arrives in the city unconventionally. If you are asked, you are here to race us. It's so simple, it is believable."

"Yeah, I can do that," Rainbow answered, "I really wish you'd tell me what's going on though, princess."

"We've told you enough. Also, this should go without saying, but you never had this dream. Do not mention it to anyone, especially Twilight Sparkle. Are we clear?"

"Got it, I guess," Rainbow's anxiety was obvious, but she attempted to keep a brave face regardless.

"Then we are done, sleep well, Rainbow Dash."

With a flare of Luna's horn, she allowed Rainbow to fall into a blissful, empty dream, fully unaware of her newfound worries and concerns. Those would be issues for the morning.

As Luna watched her new, joyfully unaware companion soar through a brilliant sky, complimented by her brilliant coat, exuberance left in her wake, she silently lamented her own idiocy.

Why must we drag such an innocent soul into a world where there is nowise happiness, only torment?