• Published 4th Dec 2011
  • 5,701 Views, 272 Comments

Sins of New Eden - Hivemind



A human pilot from New Eden on an exploration mission finds himself in a pony-filled universe.

  • ...
16
 272
 5,701

Part 5.5 (prologue ending)

*click*

*click*

*bzzzzzzzzt*

LDJCS MODULE ACTIVE...COMMUNICATING WITH SUB-NET INTERFACE...

...CONNECTED...

...ESTABLISHING MANUAL DRIVE CONTROL...

Canderous practically jumped out of his new armor at the sound of a loud spark of electricity that shot through the cabin of his newly-received and modified Ares-class interceptor.

“Good Canderous. Manual control of the jump drive has been transferred over to you. Now, we are going to...”hack” into your Ares’s control systems so we can link the gate’s code banks with your own. Just sight tight for a few more minutes...” said Sticatto’s rather giddy voice over the radio. The control circuit capacity of an Ares wasn’t big enough to occupy a jump drive along with other slightly essential modules. So the fitting technicians had to remove several non-essential components from the ship, making the ship not as versatile as it used to be, but still fast enough to outrun and outmaneuver even the most trigger-happy of speed demons, but it wasn’t like he was going to need it anyway where he was going.

*NEW EDEN CONTROL TOWER* CONNECTION ESTABLISHED...

GATE ENTRY CODES RECEIVED FROM *NEW EDEN CONTROL TOWER*...


ALL CODED SYSTEMS NOMINAL. AWAITING FURTHER COMMANDS.

~~~~~

Scope News Network

“We are bringing you live footage from our Scope News observer vessel just outside of the New Eden complex, where within just a few minutes, the New Eden gate will be re-activated for the first time after thousands of years sitting by as a piece of ancient history and mystery.”

The announcer continued, “Former freelance pilot Canderous Nord now christened a forward scout of the Federation Navy, will have the sole honor of taking humankind’s first steps back into the home of our ancestors. Millions of Gallenteans all over New Eden are tuning in as we speak to watch as one of their own people makes history! We encourage you to stay tuned! You really don’t want to miss this!”

~~~~~

“Nord, this is Bendak contacting you from the Iron Giant. Damn Nord...this whole “making history” thing has everyone on the bridge incredibly booze-happy. Even the captain is having a few shots of whiskey to celebrate the occasion. Thane’s here too, but I don’t see-” as Bendak was about to finish his words, the voice of a nearby marine saying something that sounded like ‘Hey baby, you want to head down the barracks for a little marine fun time?’ followed by a loud kick and a high-pitched wail shot through the room in the background. Bendak started laughing hysterically, but lowered his voice once he remembered who he was talking too.

“Err...anyway Nord, everyone is looking at you today. Don’t let us down. Bendak out.”

Canderous ended the comms call from Bendak, who was starting to feel like more of good friend to him instead of some random sergeant he met just a day or two earlier.

Suddenly, the AI voice notified Canderous of a new comms call coming from the Gate’s control tower. After accepting the call, the happy yet rather serious voice of Sticatto came in.

“Canderous, we are nearly finished connecting your control systems with that of the Gate’s systems. I just called to wish you good luck! My colleagues wish you the best of luck as well. Now, if you would excuse me I must return to working on the final pre-jump checks. I do believe that Fleet Admiral Sirian wishes to speak with you. I’ll patch him through to you now...” The comms speakers went to static and fizzled for a few moments before the voice of Sirian slowly started coming in.

“Canderous...” Sirian paused for a few moments before continuing, “...good luck. With that, Sirian out.”

The radio fizzled again, this time Sticatto’s voice came back, “Canderous, prepare to receive the new codes. Your about. To make. History!”

~~~~~

Scope News Network

“And we are back with continuing coverage of the event that has now been officially stated as the New Eden Rebirth! We have just received word that forward scout Canderous Nord is about to re-activate and travel through the New Eden gate. Head researcher of the Federation Navy Sticatto Kreo is the one over-seeing the gate operation. He is currently inside of the Gate’s ancient control tower module within the topmost portion of the gate’s right spire, performing last minute checks before Canderous makes the jump. Further details will be disclosed as they come in. For now, we strongly encourage that you stay glued to your holo-screens!”

~~~~~

Canderous sat still in his cockpit chair, staring at the metal walls or drumming his fingers on top of the jump module control box to pass the time. He finds himself staring at the bottle of special ‘Mortimer’s Prime Gallentean Whiskey’ that Sirian gifted to Canderous as a victory present. He thought about drinking it now, to savor the rich taste of such a fulfilling and expensive brew before a life-changing journey, but he held it off and decided to wait until he hopefully...survived the trip through the gate.

“Canderous, this is New Eden gate control.” said a new voice that came up over the radio, “Listen to me carefully and do exactly as I say. Do not miss anything!”

The rustle of papers moving was heard in the background, and whatever noise that was in the control room died down to a whisper.

“Now, enter these codes into the jump drive’s computer exactly as I say them...”

Canderous focused all of his attention to the radio and computer, hoping that he won’t cause a single mistake to occur less he lose his life.

“R56”

Canderous entered the code, then turned the radio volume up a bit.

“Y21”

“G17”

“B88”

Canderous had entered all the codes exactly, looking at the computer to be absolutely sure.

“And finally, F13. Then, hit the dial button.”

Canderous did so. After hitting the dial button, the jump drive roared to life, giving off several beeps and clicks. Several lights turned on all over the jump drive’s casing. Canderous looked out of the cockpit viewing port to see that the gate had started to perform some actions as well. Dozens of running lights and beacons began to flash all over the gate’s hull, a few spotlights switching on after them. The gigantic, centrifugal disk that has sat dormant for thousands of years slowly regained power and started spinning.

GATE SYNCHRONIZATION COMPLETED...ALL DRIVES FULLY OPERATIONAL...
MACRO CODEX ONLINE. JUMP CONTROLS ONLINE. *NEW EDEN GATE* JUMP CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. FULL JUMP CAPABILITIES RESTORED.

AWAITING FURTHER COMMANDS.

~~~~~

Scope News Network

“If you are just now tuning in, we are mere moments away from witnessing forward scout Canderous Nord open and travel through the New Eden gate. As you can see now, the first stage of activation has been achieved with the gate’s full power restored and it’s ancient centrifuge now spinning again...oh?...oh good, that’s great! Thank you! We have just received new information from our informant. Everything is ready to go! This is it everyone. This is the big moment we have all been waiting for!”

~~~~~

“Canderous...” Sticatto paused before continuing, “...if you look to your right, there will be a single switch.” Canderous did as Sticatto said and took notice of the tiny metal switch beside him, yet his eyes, it was like a golden gate key. “With this being and older model of jump drive and the only one that is adaptable with the gate’s system, the jump drive must be activated manually.”

Canderous took in a long, drawn out moment of silence. His nerves were high and his anticipation to open the gate was even higher.

“Whenever you are ready Nord...hit the switch...”

Canderous reached for the tiny switch next to him. He carefully grasped the switch with two of his fingers. “Well...here it goes...” He flicked the switch upward and....

Nothing.

Canderous’s nerves were already at the peak of breaking. After he flicked the switch, his nerves practically skyrocketed to his brain.

“Uhh...New Eden tower control, what’s going on?” asked Canderous, his shaky fingers still holding the switch in a vice grip.

“We...we’re not sure Canderous...try it again please.” Canderous did so, several times, with the same silent outcome.

“Did I do something wrong tower control?” asked Canderous once he carefully released the switch.

“N-nothing at all Canderous, we ran through every check spot to the letter and then some!” Sticatto came on, then continued, “I-it might be a problem with the jump drive Canderous. Guide your ship back to the Endar Spire. We will have a technician-.”

A feircly loud boom shook the cabin of the ship, followed by an equally powerful shockwave that spread throughout the area. With Canderous being the closest to the gate, his ship suffered the full force of the wave. Canderous was mangled around so violently that it sent him flying out of his seat and onto the floor. The shockwave died down after a few seconds. After rubbing out his new headache, Canderous got himself up off the floor, only to be blinded by an intensely bright light. He shielded his eyes with a gloved hand, trying to get back into his seat. The computer and radio exploded with emergency signals and warning messages. The intense light toned down, giving Canderous his sight back. But with his vision now returned to him, he was greeted with a horrifying sight.

~~~~~

Scope News Network

“Oh...oh my god. I..uhh...I don’t even know what to say...” the female announcer was in shock as she stared at the gleaming bright ball that was the New Eden gate control tower. It had exploded with such violent force that it shook the cameras on the observer vessel. “ Just minutes ago, a high tragedy has struck the New Eden gate site, where the gate’s control tower has suffered from what appears to be a major malfunction that has caused it to explode, nearly destroying the entire spire structure. A short veil of silence from the announcer came upon the broadcast before the announcer continued speaking, "This is...I don’t even know what to call...” The announcer was suddenly interrupted by an even more powerful shockwave, the camera’s capturing every second of it.

~~~~~

Even after the sudden shockwave, Canderous was still dizzy from the wave as he slid back down into his cockpit chair. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing as the remnants of the gate’s control tower drifted off in several directions, luckily aiming away from his ship.

Canderous snapped back into reality as he heard the muffled voice of Bendak come up over the radio. He adjusted the radio’s distorted frequencies while Bendak’s voice started to come in more clearly.

“Can-...zzzzzzttt...Get ou-...rrzzztt...hurry-....zzztt. Canderous get out!-...zzztt...Canderous get out of there now!”

Canderous eyes went wide as he realised the sudden danger of a possible second explosion. He attempted to direct his ship to the docking bay of the Iron Giant, but the computer seemed to be offline. He tried several times more, yet the computer did not respond.

He was about to give up until he saw a growing distortion of space through the corner of his eye. He turned his gaze to the view port.

From in-between the centrifugal disk, the space within began to twist and distort much like that of the beginning of a wormhole. Large arcs of electric lightning from within the distortion began lashing out all over the place, threatening to strike any ship that it so chooses. The distortion grew larger and larger, nearly reaching the topmost portion of the gate, until it finally slowed and came to a halt, the arcs of lightning dissipating soon after. From in-between the centrifuge, sat a wormhole of truely colossal porportions. As tall as the gate itself, it’s maw opened out wide to every vessel in sight, with Canderous’s ship smack in the middle out it all. It was a breathtaking sight to see. The way home seemed so close, yet so dangerous. Canderous just wanted to reach out and touch it with his own fingers. He was staring at the wormhole for so long that he didn’t notice the shouting voice of Bendak over the radio. He immediately tore his attention away from the gate, “Canderous! Don’t move! Don’t touch anything! Were are sending a boarding frigate to-” Bendak’s words were interrupted by a massive arc of lightning shooting out of the wormhole. It reached out to an incredible distance and struck the Iron Giant. Muffled screams and static were heard over the radio in fierce content as the lightning expanded and swallowed the vessel whole like a white blood cell devouring a bacterium. Once the suppercarrier was within the bolt’s grasp, the bolt pulled back through the wormhole, taking the massive ship along with it.

Canderous was in shock, his mouth wide open and eyes as big as dinner plates. Dozens of emergency messages and cries of panic came over the radio, but he wasn’t listening. He could only sit there in pure disbelief.

The wormhole began to distort itself feircly in several places, it’s edges in a continuous cycle of growing and shrinking, threatening to collapse. A second arc of lightning shot out of the wormhole’s mouth, and aimed itself directly as Canderous’s tiny ship.

This was it. It was all over for him. These were his last moments. His life flashed before his eyes in the blink of an eye. His family, his brother, his old friends, and several other personal and life-changing events flew by his eyes as the white bolt engulfed his ship and dragged it through the wormhole’s maw.

Everything went black.

~~~~~

“What in the hell...” said a frightened and confused fleet admiral, “Someone get me a status report! What in the hell happened to Canderous and the Iron Giant!?”

A scientist sitting at his flashing-red console screen perked up with a loud voice, “Sir! After the control tower exploded the wormhole managed to open itself! Those arcs of lightning appear to act as guiding devices for the gate on the other side, locking onto the closest vessel with an active jump drive. The Iron Giant had it’s jump drive on standby mode just in case it had to make a quick escape in the face of danger, but due to it’s size, it was the first to be dragged in, Canderous's vessel soon after!”

Sirian’s eyes went wide and his face went hot with frustration and urgency, “Then we best not be the next target! Helmsman, get us out of he-” Sirian was interrupted by a sound ten times greater than the sound of the control tower explosion. The Titan’s bridge shook violently as an stupidly powerful shockwave hammered the Titan’s armor. The scientists on the bridge went into a panic, some of them running away from their posts and trying to get away from the bridge.

One of the scientists stood by and shouted in a panicked tone, “Sir! The wormhole is beginning to collapse, violently! The New Eden gate is going under!” The scientist then abandoned his post and started to run towards the bridge bulkhead doors.

Sirian’s eyes could not have grown any bigger. He mouth fell flat to the floor in shock, yet he stood at his post like his feet were nailed to the floor. Everyone, including the stationary marines bolted out through the bridge doorway, shouting out warnings across the hallway’s to abandon ship. A deep warning siren blared with an automated message of an emergency evacuation accompanying it. Sirian did nothing but stand there, staring at the ground, enjoying his little personal time on the empty bridge deck. He sighed deeply and shut his eyes for a few moments, relishing in any certain memories that he holds dear. After his moment of much-needed silence, he faced his control console and opened the window bulkheads of the observation deck on the bridge. The metal panels slowly slid open, revealing the highly unstable wormhole in the middle of the gate, it’s greyish form pulsating back and forth rapidly like the beating of a black heart.

Then...all hell broke loose...

The wormhole caved in on itself, then exploded outward with un-imaginable force and power. The physical portions of the gate were torn to shreds, and those shreds, disintegrated. Battleships that were still active were desperately moving away from the gate so they could warp out, but the raging supernova of dark-blue energy reached them first, tearing off entire chunks of the ships and flinging them around like ragdolls. Smaller vessels were instantly vaporized. As the speeding rampage of energy neared the Titan’s front bow, time itself seemed to slow down. Sirian experienced several flashbacks of his life flying by his still eyes.

His family, life as a navy man, the day he was promoted to fleet admiral...Sticatto...his long-time friend Sticatto...

"Well Sticatto, old friend...” grunted Sirian as he spread his arms out wide, ready to embrace his fate, "Here I come."

The raging torrent engulfed the Titan like it was nothing more than a tiny rock in a pond, ripping the Titan’s hull apart with incredible force. As the shockwave of energy consumed the entire outpost and everyone in it, Scope News continued to broadcast this horrible tragedy to all of New Eden, live.

~~~~~

Scope News Network

“Panic is spreading throughout the gate compound as the tragedy of the gate control tower and the deaths of those within it spreads throughout the Navy. There is however a fair silver lining. With the destruction of the control tower, the gate managed to open itself, and Canderous Nord, along with the Nyx-supercarrier, the FNS Iron Giant, went through the wormhole-like entrance around two minutes ago. Further details will be disclosed as-.” The announcer was interrupted by a deafening booming sound. The cameras on the observer vessel shook violently, the force of noise threatening to tear them off. After the first shockwave subsided, the cameras immediately went back into focus, then zoomed in on a rapidly outspreading and fast approaching torrent of blue energy.

“My...my god. The gate...the gate is...gone!? This just in, the New Eden gate has collapsed. I repeat! The New Eden gate has collapsed! Samson get us the hell out of here befor-!...

The news feed broke away in a blizzard of static and muffled screams. After a few moments of un-seeable horror, the feed went to colored bars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would like to thank those who held out for this long without any pony. I know it was a tough ride, but the PROLOGUE of Sins of New Eden is complete. Damn. Writing the prologue felt like writing a whole story in itself! Who knew that you can have this much fun when typing up a good combination of EVE Online and pony-fiction? :3

Anyway, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter, and I can’t wait to begin work on the pony side of the story!

Still not having much luck on finding an editor/pre-reader. Will keep looking though.

Thanks for reading!

-Nord (plus Jonsey)