• Published 17th Jun 2017
  • 1,285 Views, 38 Comments

Friendship is Failure #5: Pride and Punishment - DakariKingMykan



Twilight and friends try to convince a stubborn yet talented pony to look past his potential.

  • ...
64
 38
 1,285

Act 3: Inconsiderate Consideration

ACT THREE

Ath-Lita did well in her track practice, she was thinking about her brother and his stubbornness, which fueled her anger and rage at him and allowed her to run faster and jump incredible heights. “Talon!” she grumbled, and all she could picture was herself beating him up and abusing him until he would comply with her demands that he pull himself upright and make the right decision!

Her coach of course, not knowing the reason behind this, was actually pleased with her progress. “You keep this up; you’ll be a fine champion, Lita.”

“Thanks, coach.” panted Lita, and she went to her gym-bag for her towel and water-bottle, when Twilight and her gang came along, and you can bet when they told her the way Talon behaved, her eyes lit up like a burning torch. “That overbearing stubborn old mule!” she growled.

Rarity took great offense to that, “Please, kindly refrain from using that word. It’s so horrible.”

“She wasn’t saying it to you.” Rainbow muttered.

Lita sulked as she sagged down onto the bench, “I can’t believe he used his pride as an excuse again! Why can’t he understand?”

“Um, actually he said he does understand; he just doesn’t care.” said Spike.

Whether she heard him or not, Lita felt angrier than ever. “When I get hold of him, I’ll…!”

“Uh… I think maybe we should think of some other way than violence and torture.” said Twilight “To be honest, that could be part of the reason why he turns offers down. Maybe you’re putting too much pressure on him.”

“Yeah, like you did when you forced him to get his degree.” Rainbow pointed out.

“Rainbow!” sneered Twilight, “No, she’s right.” said Lita “Maybe I am a bit harsh, but I can’t stand it; the way he acts so proud and makes himself such a burden all the time. He blames every-pony else for his problems except himself.”

“I really think…” Spike cut in “Maybe he just has to find out what he’s been missing out on.”

A long moment of silence followed, and Rarity never felt so inspired before. “That just may work, Spike.”

Even Twilight agreed, “It could help, but how would we do it.”

“I remember one time,” said Rainbow “Mom and Dad took me to my first ever Wonderbolts show. At first I didn’t want to go, thinking it would be boring. So they tricked and instead set me up to meet them there, and when the show started, it was the most magical thing I ever saw.”

Rainbow sighed softly as she gazed off into space, but all this gave Twilight a great idea, “We can organize a charity theatrical production, to raise money for the poor. No one can say no to that.”

“I can think of one who might.” muttered Lita.

Indeed, when the gang went to Talon-Ted’s house that he shared with his sister. He was sitting about reading a book of a play he always hoped he would star in, but put it behind him.

“No!” he said at the proposal, “I refuse completely, and that is final!”

Lita growled furiously and wanted to lunge over and attack, “I’ll show you what’s final. Just wait until I...!” Rainbow held her back, but Lita’s attitude proved Talon right, she really was an abusive control freak at times.

Talon sighed, “I might’ve known you had something to do with this, sis. When are you going to get it into your head... You cannot tell me how to live my life!”

“Actually, it was our idea.” Twilight said, “And I can’t believe you. It’s event that can benefit every pony in Ponyville, even yourself.”

Talon scoffed, “Do you sense the part where I sound the least bit interested?”

Everyone else felt very insulted.

“Look, I thought I made it perfectly clear that I don’t want to go against my pride. I don’t want to be an actor, and to be honest, the way you’re all pressuring me like this… I think you’re being selfish and inconsiderate!”

A moment of silence followed. “Selfish? You think I’m being selfish?” sneered Lita.

Her brother growled, having told his sister this many times before but she refused to listen, but in the view of their guests he came out clean, “You wanted me to go to college because YOU wanted that, even though I told you exactly one-hundred times that I didn’t want to.

And now, look at you, pressuring me all these years into taking up a place that I don’t want, just because YOU don’t want me to waste potential! It’s all about what YOU want, Lita, and if I don't comply, you try to beat me up!”

Even Twilight was growing cross at this point, but before she could say anything, he had thrown them all out of his bedroom and shut the door, locking it.

Much as Twilight could have picked the lock or teleported right in, she stomped her foot in frustration! “I cannot believe him!” she sneered “A chance to help others, as well as himself and he turned it down!”

“Welcome to my world.” said Lita “I have to put up with stubborn attitude every single day!”

“Well, so much for the idea.” said Spike.

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that, Spike.” Rainbow cut in, and she huddled everyone around to explain her idea. The plan would still go on, just without Talon knowing about it.

“I don’t think it’ll work.” said Lita “I know my bro. He may not look like it but he’s pretty clever at times.”

Ignoring the possibilities, the gang decided to go ahead with their plans.

Within a week, rather than putting up posters or a news ad in the papers, Twilight and Spike made invitations and handed them out to every single pony Ponyville, telling them about the charity play they were throwing, but it was to be held in secret with no one watching close by. All ponies were told to remain away from the stage area but stay close enough to see what would be happening.

As weird and as strange as every-pony thought that, they couldn’t resist, especially considering what play would be done; The Phantom of the Stage! One of the most classical and romantic plays that ponies had ever known, and even had some darkness thrown into it.

The stage was being built, and Rarity was in charge of the costumes, a job she truly took pride in.

As the weeks passed, and things were set up, the cast was selected, though Talon’s role as The Phantom; a role he had always wanted, was held blank, and merely written as a surprise guest star.

All was to be held at Sweet Apple Acres, where there was plenty of room to set everyone up and so everyone invited could remain in hiding but still be able to see and hear everything.

Talon of course still knew nothing of what was going on… until one day, about three weeks later, the night before the performance was to take place…

As Talon was finishing up his shift at the loading dock, he noticed the couple of the other loaders were chattering. He couldn’t hear about the play, and his co-workers suddenly saw him and quickly changed the subject.

“So um… we’re going bowling tomorrow night, right?”

“Yeah, we are, I’d rather go bowling than to some dopey play or anything.”

“So I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Yeah, tomorrow night…”

As soon as one of the co-workers left, Talon approached the other one and said “Coin Slot… That performance by the two of you was terrible!”

“I don’t know, I thought I was pretty good.” replied Coin Slot, “Er… I mean… Oh!”

Talon nodded his head suspiciously, “Coin Slot, what’s really going on?”

“I can’t tell. I promised I wouldn’t.”

“Uh… how about if I cover your shifts tomorrow…?”

Unable to argue with a day off at his hoofs, Coin Slot confessed everything, “…It’s all a plan to get you to come out of your shell. I was just going for the show.”

Talon nodded and patted Coin’s shoulder, “I like your style… it’s honest. Now if you’ll excuse me, I some work to do.”

“What, but we’re off shift.”

“Not that kind of work.”


As Talon walked off, “So, they just can’t take a hint.” he muttered himself “They want me to perform for them? Well, I’ll give them a performance they’ll never forget!”

And as he walked along, he imagined himself in a musical number. He was a criminal mastermind, surrounded by men in suits as his gang, and they sang a song… while also acting out a small scene…

The point was, Talon was prepared to teach everyone coming to the play a lesson about pushing him, especially his sister and Twilight Sparkle!