• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 893 Views, 9 Comments

The life of Zesty Zapwing - mrturbodk

  • ...
5
 9
 893

Flight school

"Really mom ??!, no joke ??!" Zesty was asking in a i-cant-believe-it kind of voice.

"It's true, the forms are right here, all you have to do is sign them" his mom replied, and almost faster than you can say apple fritters, Zesty had already signed them, his entry papers for Flight school.

Like most Pegasus ponies and Alicorns, there comes a time where they should learn to use their wings and where else do they learn this, but at Flight school.

The beginners Flight school is a land based school with many towers and of course, many safety bags below each tower, in case some student fails to get going correctly, so there is really not much that can go wrong at the school, but still, accidents do happen and thus the hospital is located close by, should a student be injured, they can be rushed to medical aid in a minute usually.

Zesty was looking around along with his mom, taking in the sights and locations of everything.

He had a little bit of flying training from running of hills and talking to other winged ponies, majority of them Pegasus ponies because apparently, there was not a lot of alicorns around ponyville at least, maybe they was more spread out than he realized, but that didn't bother him for the time being, he was sure to find some other alicorns at flight school or maybe later at the advanced classes up in Cloudsdale.

"Wauw mom, this is gonna be awesome" Zesty said with a enthusiastic grin.

"I just hope they know what they're doing" Mayor said, being a earth pony herself and apparently afraid of heights, she was quite nervous about it all.

"Dont worry mom, i'm sure they got everything under control" .. Zesty didn't make it to say more before 2 pony came racing by with a gurney and a Pegasus on it, suffering from what looked like a bad leg scrape.

"Oh my" Mayor exclaimed horridly, "I am not gonna get much sleep tonight, i'll be a nervous wreck, why i'll..." being cut off from saying any more with a calming hug from Zesty.

A whistle was blown and a Pegasus was calling for them all to rally to his position. He was a older Pegasus, looked like 50's or more, lightgreen color and bright yellow mane and having a limb walk and a cane to support him.

After they all had settled down in front of him, he began to speak to them all, welcoming every pony and insuring their parents that the utmost care and attention would be taken at his flight school.

Zesty was looking around to look for other alicorns, but he couldn't see any else, which saddened him slightly, but not noticeably enough for his mom to notice it.

This flight school was located a hours walk from ponyville, so all the winged ponies was assigned sleeping areas, like in a army barrack, this amused Zesty a bit, making him feel like it was a big camping trip with a important purpose.

There was also sleeping quarters for the parents who couldn't make themselves leave their kids alone, but Zesty didn't have a problem with mom not being around, as he was used to her being away for times at a time, staying with other family's in ponyville. So far that tactic had worked fine and he was eager to get started.

After the welcome, each pony was interviewed with family and assessed into a grade so the teachers could be best set to work teaching them everything.

One might think that even though Zesty had recieved some tips and pointers from other winged ponies, that he would be in a bit more advanced class, but not so, as the teachers evaluated his knowledge and physic, they noticed big holes in what he knew and decided to play it safe and but him down a grade from where they initially had placed him.

Zesty being a bit sad about this, had no option than to follow their assignment and knew that it would be a while before actual flying was achieved, due to lack of basic knowledge and theory.

Mayor hearing this was a bit relieved, but could easily understand Zesty being a bit sad about it, but as she explained it to him, he knew that it was for the best of all parts, be it student, teachers, mom or medics.

After the interview and having said goodbye to mom, Zesty wandered the flight school grounds and was surprised to see a Pegasus with a rainbow colored mane. Having never seen anything like that before, he wanted to investigate and approached the light blue pony, noticing a yellow pony with long pink mane also talking to her.

"Hi, i'm Zesty" he said to the 2 ponies, "that's a really cool mane you got there" pointing to the light blue pony.

"Hey, thanks. I'm Rainbow Dash and this is Fluttershy", she said and pointed at the yellow pony. "Say hi Fluttershy" Dash said with a grin on her face. "Oh, ehm, hi" was all that Fluttershy could muster to say.

"Dont worry about her, she is very shy as her name suggests, well until you get to know her anyways" Dash said, smiling.

"Why come you have a horn, oh my, you're a Alicorn, how wonderfull" Fluttershy said, admiring Zesty's horn and wings "Those look like big and strong wings, have you been practicing alot ?" she asked.

"Nah, not that much, i can glide a bit, but thats about it" Zesty said with a smile, "I bet you 2 are far better than me"

"You're damn straight" Dash exclaimed, "I'm the fastest flyer EVER" saying the last bit even louder, causing Fluttershy to bend down a bit. "Ooh, not so loud Dash, you'll scare the cutesy wutesy animals off" Fluttershy said having seen a few animals around. Dash's remark was a short tungue flip and a "Pfff, see how she is ?, she sees a animal and she goes into her loving all creatures mind"

"Heh, i can see that she likes animals, i hope flight school will be a breese to go through, maybe we could do some flying together" said Zesty, looking at Fluttershy, who found a animal while Dash sighed at her.

"So, would you mind being friends ?, i dont see any other Alicorns here and it would be neat with someone to talk to" .. Fluttershy was surprisingly faster that Dash at saying "sure, we'll be best of friends, right Dash ?" .. "Of course, we have to stick together and become the best ever" Dash said with a big smile.

"Suddenly they heard a ringing sound, glancing to the school buildings, they could see a cook holding a triangle metal bar and violently banging a big metal spoon inside it, making the ringing sound, while yelling loudly "Dinnertime, come n get it". Instantly all the ponies was in full race mode, all but the 3 friends who was moving slower but still in a light run.

After the dinner, the 3 sat and talked more, tightening their new friendship with talk and story's.

Zesty explained his story to Dash and Fluttershy, who felt sad for Zesty and decided to go and give a big hug, Dash on the other hand pointed with a hoof to his mouth while Fluttershy was looking the other way, she was definitive not into all her lovey dovey stuff, all she wanted to do was become better and get out of the flight school, back to Cloudsdale where they both came from. But apparently Fluttershy was in no hurry to finish the school to Dash's annoyance,

Fluttershy told Zesty the story about how she and Dash was both born and raised in Cloudsdale and that they rarely got down here on firm ground. They had learned to know each other since kindergarten and was near inseparable since then, always sticking together no matter what. Zesty could understand their friendship and in return told them about Applejack and Rarity, just to mention a few.

After a while, another bell rang and a loud voice called bedtime .. the trio found 3 free beds in a row and claimed them quickly, Dash in one, then Fluttershy and Zesty on her other side. It wasn't long before they all fell asleep, tired from their first day of friendship.

The next day came by much too fast and another bell rang to wake them all up.

Sadly, the 3 friends was not in the same class together, but they managed ok anyway. Dash was in a advanced class, flying around outside, while Zesty was in a middle class, learning about sustained flight and all the things about aerodynamic and lifting off, hovering and so forth, but Fluttershy, being the shy one, was afraid and was still only covering the basics, even though she could fly briefly.

But once she came to par with her fear of heights (among other things), she was ramped up to Zesty's class and they shared desks next to each other and sometimes waved at dash, blasting by outside in the air.

Dash was doing fine, but she could get a bit too cocky and did have a fair few crashes, although never anything serious. She said something about a magical protection field around Pegasus while flying, and while it sounded cool, none had ever given definitive proof of it's existence.

Zesty noticed that with Dash outside showboating, Fluttershy was easy to talk to during the day and more restrained when they all 3 was together, but with Dash's super-confidence, he figured that was normal.

There was something that Zesty was also good at besides learning to fly, and that was using his magic abilitys. He trained them with the levitation and other small spells that he had learned and he found that both friends was amazed when he used his powers.

Specially Fluttershy was amazed at the magic tricks that Zesty could perform, and as time went on, he liked his friends more and more .. mostly Fluttershy though .. he and Dash was friends on a much more male stage, while he would sometimes pick up a flower and put into Fluttershy's mane, she would maybe flinch at first, but when she saw Zesty and the glowing horn, she could usually quickly figure out what he was doing .. for the gazillionth time ..

On weekends, the 3 would sometimes come home to Zesty and Mayor for relaxation before going back to flight school. They met up with Applejack and Rarity and all had a fun time talking, playing, having fun and so on and so fourth.

Of course Applejack told about the barn incident and Rarity couldn't keep quiet about what she had experienced while Zesty was there, and so Zesty had to show a little light show of electric sparks dancing around his body while they fell flat from the story of how Rarity had kicked him onto the floor in her sleep.

While Zesty was away on flight school, a new earth pony had arrived to town and was staying on top of Sugarcube corner with the Cakes family. Appeljack and Rarity had seen this new pony, pink colored with a poofy pink mane and they all decided to go and have a treat and maybe meet this newcomer at the same time.

As luck would have it, the newcomer was also there at Sugarcube corner and she was bouncing around the place, her own way of getting around was interresting to say the least, and shortly after arriving, the pink pony came bouncing over to the group, introducing herself as Pinkie Pie.

Whilst Pinkie had already meet Applejack and Rarity, she was amazed at Zesty, possibly the first time she had seen a Alicorn, and she was bouncing around and talking silly like, mentioning all the colors than he had, before moving on to Fluttershy, who hid a bit behind Dash and Zesty, naturally shy as she always is around new ponies, but soon she warmed up to Pinkie and was smiling, Pinkie noticing Dash and her rainbow mane bounced over and went all "uuUUUOOOhhh" at the colors and asked Dash where she could get one like it. Dash had to explain to Pinkie a few times that that was how she was born and that one could not just "Buy a rainbow mane" as she said it.

After a while, they all 6 went outside and played and talked. Applejack was showing Pinkie some apple handling and Rarity was talking with Fluttershy, who was visited by a few squirrels from a nearby tree, while Dash and Zesty did some light flying.

At evening time, they split up again, each pony going to their home, except the 3 winged ponies, who all went to Mayor's house, since Zesty knew where the key was under the welcome mat. He had permission from mom of course to bring the 2 Pegasus home for the weekend, provided they didn't destroy the home.

Mayor would be coming home a day later from a trip, then she could meet his new friends.

Mom had setup a big inflatable mattress on the floor with sheets by the side, ready for use. the mattress was big enough for all 3 and they slept together in peace after having fed themselves with some cookies and juice from the fridge.

Dash, bring the not so lovey pony, was sleeping a little to the side, but Fluttershy was a bit nervous, first time in a foreign house, and she was hugging Zesty in her sleep which he certainly didn't mind one bit.

Early morning and the 3 friends was woken by mom returning home from her trip, thankfully she had slept on the train home in a sleeper car, so she was as fresh as the 3 friends. When she got to the room where they slept, she couldn't help but do a little "Awwww" at the sight she saw.

There, on the air mattress, was Zesty with Fluttershy resting her head on his chest and Rainbow off to the side. Her Awwww woke them up and Zesty introduced them to mom. Mom then went back below after telling them that breakfast would be ready in a few minutes. The friends got ready for a new day and Fluttershy said a quiet thanks to Zesty for not minding her during the night.

At the morning table, some light idle chit chat was held, talk about the school and what they was gonna be doing during the day that lie ahead of them. Some light flying, playing and so on like the day before.

Zesty was a little unattentive as he was looking more at Fluttershy than Dash and as mothers do, they notice these things, excusing herself and asking Zesty to follow her to his room.

She started with a sly remark . "Sooo .. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash .. i can see why you like Fluttershy, just be carefull and dont hurt either's feelings if you some day find the courage to tell her"

Zesty jumped back "SSSHHH .. mom .. they might hear you" .. "hah, bulls-eye" mom replied victoriously.

Truth be told, Zesty was in love with Fluttershy for a while now, and he was pretty sure she felt the same way, but he had not had the courage to talk to her about it. Mom simply said "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and left Zesty to think about her, that lovely yellow pony with long pink mane ...

Later that day, as Zesty and Dash was flying around, he lured her behind the house and stopped Dash. "I have something to say", he started . "I think i got a crush on Fluttershy" .. Dash missed a few wing beats but corrected herself letting out a rather violent "WHAT" before composing herself.

Amazingly, Dash they broke into laughing fit and after a minute told Zesty that she already knew that, she had noticed how happy he was around Fluttershy and gave the sisterly OK about it with a warning that if he would somehow hurt her in any way, he would be knocked out of the sky. Zesty knowing what Dash could do promised that he would never hurt Fluttershy.

Returning to the house, Fluttershy was looking up at them with a ring of flowers around her neck, looking more beautiful than before .. "Go time" he whispered to Dash, who took the hint and vanished for a few minutes.

Meantime, Zesty was talking to fluttershy and eventually he started ..

"Fluttershy, you know i like you as a friend, but i would like to like you as my very special some pony too .. would you like that ?" .. Words hard to say was simply acknowledged by a giant hug from Fluttershy, hanging around his neck, unable to contain their happiness, tears running down their faces.

And then it happened, she gave him his very first kiss ..