• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 1,891 Views, 87 Comments

The Truth About Girls (Vol. 2) - TheMareWhoSaysNi



Do girls just wanna have fun? Why not try to seek for the truth behind the catchphrase?

  • ...
9
 87
 1,891

Welfare Boy (Part 2)

Thanks to the Clubs Festival, exceptionally, pupils taking part in the various stands were allowed to leave their classroom between two courses, no matter their grade, or even if they belonged to the Guiding Class…

This gave way to a happy mess which cheered up daily life a bit. In the whole school there was a palpable excitation, lasting even after the bell had rung. And because teachers knew no student would be really focused on lessons, nothing essential was taught during this week.

As freshmen, The Crusaders had been waiting for the coming of this event with a hint of fever. They all couldn’t wait to participate, convinced they could discover they were gifted for PR.

Scootaloo was enrolled in the athletics club, in order to be close to Rainbow Dash – except her idol’s specialization were races and she’d chosen pole vaulting, and both practice didn’t take place at the same spot of the stadium. Because Apple Bloom was in the ballroom dancing club, they both could participate with the Sports Department. It allowed them to spend more time with their eldest…

As far as Sweetie Belle was concerned, she should have been with the Domestic Arts Department, as a member of the crochet club. Yet, in order not to be alone, she was running for the Sports Department.

After school, each department got together to prepare the activities they’d planned beforehand, thanks to a vote by direct universal suffrage. It was a chance for the different clubs of a same department to meet and share new memories. Especially as for the twelfth grade, in charge of leading the groups, it meant something special. They would never have another chance to participate.

But what The Crusaders loved the most was what was happening between classes. When Rainbow Dash came and picked them in their room so they could join them in their promotion towards the other students.

Each department had to be noticed… They needed to have a maximum of students – those taking part to no stands, since the posts were limited – to come and attend to the events each had organized, in order to get as much money as they could.

The more money flew into a department’s cashier, the more the clubs of this department would have better means for the next year.

Rainbow Dash had been able to convince the whole school’s brass band to work for the Sports Department. This way, she would be certain to take enough room and to make enough noise to get the attention of each group of friends, each clique. It probably irritated even more those who didn’t appreciate her boasting, but she knew in the end, they would come and see what she’d done anyway, just in case it could be interesting for them.

It didn’t mean her two friends and rivals for the cup didn’t have excellent ideas neither.

From the other side of the corridor, accompanied by Muffin, and a great number of those called the “techies”, Twilight was more than determined to play her cards right, though she knew the competition would be tough. She needed the uninitiated to discover that sciences could be funnier than they thought.

So, to offset Rainbow Dash’s brass band, she’d asked CHS’ cheerleaders, among whom Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, two rivals of the Crusaders were, for their help. Their team was singing odds to the glory of DNA and the periodic table of the elements, and although their speech was filled with errors, all that mattered to Twilight was the lasting effect.

“Attend and take part to the most breathtaking scientific experiences ever risked in CHS! You won’t believe your eyes!”

Well, maybe what she’d prepared wasn’t that extraordinary, but she had studied the importance of the lexical field in advertisement, and had chosen her words in the way that would have the greatest impact on the students’ curiosity.

And she was happy to note that her pile of flyers had decreased. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash would see what she was made of!

But the latter thought this wasn’t over yet. With The Crusaders, giving away flyers for the Sports Department, and Sunset Shimmer and Applejack by her side, she was feeling self-confident. Twilight’s little experiences weren’t no match for what she had planned.

“Big auction sale! A lot of amazing prize to win, among which a ball gown designed by our CHS most famous fashion designer, Rarity, and a date with the star of one of our national sports team!”

They didn’t need to know who this star was. She didn’t want to spoil the surprise. But she knew a lot of students, especially the female ones, would fight in order to win this “prize” – for a price, of course, or it wouldn’t be an auction sale but a stupid lottery.

Twilight’s teeth gnashed as she saw the way her friend’s flyers pile was decreasing as well. Sure, the word “star” had another resonance compared to “breathtaking”, but if Rainbow Dash thought it was over now, she was heavily wrong. This was a war and the battles had just begun.

A hell of a racket came to disturb their duel.

If Pinkie Pie had no brass band and no cheerleader team with her, she had ideas… and most importantly, she had saucepans. For once allied to the Flower Trio, the four teenage girls had grabbed as many utensils as they could in the school’s kitchen and were hitting them with wooden spoon to be heard.

Soon, all heads turned to the newcomers, who were able to sneak in among the athletes and scientists.

“Giant distribution of the only ones, the ones and only… Pinkie’s rainbow cupcakes!!! Don’t miss it!!!”

“Hey! Ah thought ya were supposed to bake the biggest Weddin’ Cake of the world”, Applejack complained.

“Yeah, this is only a bonus.”

“It’s unfair, Pinkie Pie! Everyone’s going to be hungry at some point!” Twilight intervened as well.

“That’s why this is awesome”, the person in question answered with a big smile.

She could be proud of herself. With less means and an activity less original, she’d been able to get the same amount of attention, if not more, than their two teams together.

The competition between them, though friendly, raged… From where she stood, drown among a crowd on anonymous, Fluttershy couldn’t help a smile hinted with nostalgia.

She had decided to step back not even one week ago, and yet, she felt as if she hadn’t been with them for months. It probably came from the fact she hadn’t been much present ever since Big Macintosh and her were on a break. Because seeing them every day from her desk, and even more looking at them now engaging in a merciless competition, a part of her wanted to jump with them into these eccentricities. Even just by being by their side.

Fluttershy let a deep sigh out. It was because she thought she wasn’t worth these extraordinary human beings she had taken some time away. But it seemed like she was the only one thinking this. Her friends had always seemed to believe she belonged with them, despite her fear of anything and everything.

“Are you okay?” Thunderlane questioned, putting a hand against her shoulder.

Drown in her thoughts, Fluttershy had almost forgotten the young man was by her side. It felt like a shock, like being back on the ground too abruptly and she realized how much her group of friends had become a sensitive subject.

“I don’t know what’s happened between you but in all likelihood, you don’t hold grudges against them…”

If he only knew… If he only knew that in reality, she had let jealousy devour her, she had kept her feelings for her when they wanted to help her, and she had displayed spite towards those who always were reaching their hands for her. What would he say? He was so kind, so obliging…

Maybe she would better tell him everything, and maybe he would be understanding… But for now, she just couldn’t do it. Fear. It was this, as always, that was guiding her. And that was the reason why she couldn’t go back to them. They were never afraid to be themselves no matter what, even when mocked, even when looked at condescendingly.

“Actually, it’s…” she started.

“Complicated?”

“Yes”, Fluttershy answered with a chuckle, hiding her mouth behind her hand.

Anyway, it was pleasant to have someone understanding her without long explanations. She didn’t know Thunderlane for long but it already happened many times that she started a sentence and he completed it.

Maybe she had been completely wrong with Big Macintosh, and they never were meant to be. The tall blond boy had never completed one of her sentence…

No. She couldn’t think about this now. She was feeling better about their story lately and she didn’t want to ruin her efforts in the snap of fingers.

Thunderlane probably noticed something was bothering her, since he hurried to make her think about something else.

“I don’t know what it is for you, but I have no intention of going to the Festival…”

“Really? Yet, that’s the last you’ll ever take part in as well.”

“Yes, but it never really interested me. I only like being in competition when it comes to studies. Since it’s going to be empty, I’ll go to the library and review. I want to be better than Trixie this year…”

“I could review with you; it won’t do me harm… Well, if you want me to come with you, of course.”

“I hoped you’d say that…”

In reality, she hadn’t planned anything for this weekend. Until now she wasn’t even sure whether or not she wanted to come to the Clubs Festival. Until he told her what he wanted to do.

The reason of her decision was simple: she didn’t want to be alone. Or she would be thinking about them. And about him.

-----------------------------------

Actually, Pinkie Pie hadn’t precise one small detail… Indeed, her stand distributed cupcakes but they weren’t free, as the Clubs Festival’s purpose was to raise funds. She couldn’t be satisfied only by winning the first prize but also by earning more money than any other clubs.

Although it gathered a large range of activities, the Domestic Arts Department pleased less students than sports, arts (classical) or even sciences. The blame was an old-fashioned and outdated side, sprinkled with a hint of sexism.

Yet, everyone loved good food and pretty handcrafted items, right?

That was why she was going so much out of her way to succeed. After all, lacrosse was nothing but a way to let off steam for her. Her real hobbies were party planning and baking pastries. Her reputation in the baking field was notorious and enough could gather a crowd. Everyone wanted to have a taste of the famous Pinkie Pie’s rainbow cupcakes! Especially for the affordable price of one symbolic dollar.

And at the same time, the students came to admire her savoir-faire in the preparation of the tallest Wedding Cake ever baked.

However, Pinkie Pie couldn’t ignore the fact that the nearest stand, Rainbow’s, Applejack’s and Sunset Shimmer’s, with their luxurious auction sale, also was very successful.

In fact, a “prize” that was highly coveted had just been put in auction… The date with a national celebrity of the sporting world, who was no one else than Soarin. Far from disappointing those who were interested, who were girls, the sale was at its height and the cost of the two hours face to face with the basketball player were high.

“Come to admire the tallest Wedding Cake of the world! And if you buy two rainbow cupcakes, you’ll get one glass of fizzy apple cider from Sweet Apple Acres!” Pinkie Pie claimed on top of her lungs.

A promotion that hasn’t fallen on deaf ears.

“Hey! Am the one who should be offerin’ fizzy apple cider from MA family!” Applejack got angered. “If that’s the way it is… Attention please, we got a very special offer, instead of two hours, ya can buy a whole mornin’ with the basketball superstar Soarin Skies!”

Rainbow Dash, her big wooden hammer in her hand, jolted before looking at her friend. Alright, it was annoying that Pinkie Pie used the Apple’s beverages to achieve her ends, and she also wanted to win, however, she wasn’t willing to win at any cost. It was her boyfriend, after all.

“You haven’t asked me if I wasn’t bothered to lend him one entire morning.”

“D’ya wanna win or d’ya wanna lose?”

“Hem, girls”, Sunset Shimmer intervened in a secret-like voice. “Wouldn’t it be better to focus on the sale?”

Especially as this new deal had made prices skyrocket again. Two hours were a good thing, but one entire morning with the Wondercolts leader, here in Canterlot, it felt like getting the moon.

And if the lucky girl who was dating this star for real first seemed to be upset by this plot twist, when she heard Pinkie Pie doing another promotion of her cupcakes adding an autograph from the whole team of cheerleaders to the glass of fizzy apple cider, it made her blood boil.

She wouldn’t stand for it.

“New offer! Exceptional! Instead of two hours, instead of one morning, we offer you one entire day with Soarin!!”

This time, it was the person in question, standing next to the trio, and already very embarrassed by all this, who had a word to say about it. For him to accept to be a prize at the auction sale, Rainbow Dash had to promise she would go with him in Cloudsdale for the next holidays, in order to visit his both parents, and Soarin even think it didn’t pay dividends enough compared to what was asked of him.

Because, was it useful to precise, he had no desire to spend one entire day with a groupie!

“Wouldn’t be a bad thing to ask for my opinion…”

But his reply almost went unnoticed among all the frenzy of competition. He should have known… When it came to winning, his girlfriend let no room to chance, even if it meant manipulating the rules!

At Twilight’s stand, the atmosphere wasn’t the same at all. The place wasn’t empty, and the experience to come, called the coke bottle, had a little success. The principle was to immerse a famous mint candy in soda, in order to create incredible geysers.

However, the young woman and her allies, in particular Muffin, knew that even with this impressive and famous chemical reaction, they would never be able to win the cup. For all that, they wouldn’t give up on the quality of their activities, and would do their best to win the more money they could for the science clubs, which necessary means were rather high.

Right before the experience started, Twilight asked Muffin to make their audience wait. There was something she wanted to do… and too bad if that probably wasn’t the right time for it.

No. In fact, it surely was the perfect moment for it.

She stopped by Pinkie Pie’s stand, and got one of the precious rainbow cupcakes. How her friend could keep on preparing a giant wedding cake while supervising the sales, Twilight didn’t know, but she admired her swiftness and her focus.

Out there, a bit at the background of all the restlessness from the Festival, Fluttershy seemed to be waiting for someone by the library’s door.

Between two experiences, Twilight had noticed the way she was looking at their various stands. Also, it seemed that she’d arrived very early at her appointment only to observe them from a distance, in secret.

She walked to her friend, and with a smile, gave her the cupcake she’d bought for her. Fluttershy stared at it with eyes wide opened, before smiling at her as well.

“This is for you”, Twilight simply said.

“Err… Alright. Thanks.”

Hesitant, she took the hot pastry between her hands, and it smelled good like spices and sugar. Before this moment she hadn’t realized how much she missed this smell. Pinkie Pie’s cakes really were worthy of a restaurant… In fact, she sometimes even baked some for Sugarcube Corner.

“I know you need time alone to think, but that doesn’t mean we have to act like we’re perfect strangers. Don’t you agree?”

Fluttershy nodded, before taking a bite of her pastry, unable to resist, and too bad for the image it sent of her…

It really was delicious!

Suddenly, a detail struck the young woman… Twilight also participated at the Festival and by chatting with her, she probably was losing occasions to earn money for the Science Department.

Again and again, whatever she did, it disturbed her friend!

“I’m alright”, she said after swallowing her mouthful. “You’re not obliged to take care of me, especially as you have more important things to do…”

“Don’t worry. It’s clear we can’t measure up to those two”, Twilight answered with a head sign towards Pinkie Pie’s and Rainbow Dash’s stands.

Fluttershy couldn’t help but smile. Indeed, they were noisier than any other stand’s supervisors, and it wasn’t a dangerous assumption to say that one of them would probably be the winners of this year’s Festival. What they offered wasn’t that original, but it had to be admit that the communication they’d created around the event was very effective.

In the past, calm and quietness were what the young woman was seeking at all costs. Characters that were too flamboyant used to scare her and she always felt bland compare to others. It was different since she had met these four girls (five with Sunset Shimmer and six with Rarity).

They had taken her out of her comfort zone and they had driven her into corners more than once, without even realizing.

Her break, Fluttershy still thought it to be necessary, however, at the same time, she realized how positive the impact they had on her life was. Even only for she had dared to get away from the group in order to think things through. In the past, she would have been too scared to dare taking the plunge.

“You know I’m very observant… I noticed that, sometimes, you really want to come and see us but you hold yourself back. Although I can understand your decision, and I’d never try to influence your choices, I only wanted you to know how much we miss you all. We all hope you’ll come back very soon.”

In front of them outlined Thunderlane’s slender yet athletic figure, the boy from the Guiding Class Fluttershy had befriended with.

Twilight knew exactly what was his opinion about her, as well as about her friends. Nevertheless, she wasn’t the one who had to tell the young woman. She only hoped she would realize it right on time.

Getting away to let the two teenagers review at the library, she couldn’t help one last look behind her shoulder. Twilight could only have a glimpse at them stepping into the building, Thunderlane putting a hand against Fluttershy’s back.

Suddenly, an irrational sensation took over her innards. Some kind of foreboding telling her that, sheltered from all eyes, something essential was about to be at play. Something that would have the current situation tip somehow, irreversibly. And she hoped it wasn’t the definite loss of their friend that was at the end of the line.

The gang probably wouldn’t survive…