• Published 3rd Dec 2011
  • 10,627 Views, 417 Comments

The 63 files - punisher143



This will be a series of romantic drabbles based around one concept: take a pairing, apply rule 63 t

  • ...
15
 417
 10,627

SpitLight

>Observation request granted<

>Probe launched<

>…<

>Feed established. Opening observation channel<


She planted her hooves on the cloud and lowered herself into a ready position, the same way she’s always done. The world around her was tinted from her goggles. Soarin, her second in command, took his place to her right and another Wonderbolt stopped on her left. Soarin turned toward her, his eyes blocked by the same goggles she wore.

“You ready for this Cap’?” he asked. She gave one laugh and scrapped at the cloud.

“Always,” she replied and grinned at him. He returned the grin as the announcer started speaking.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, thank you for coming today. It’s a lovely day here in Ponyville, with hardly a cloud in the sky. I say it would be a perfect day for a picnic or maybe-“ Soarin made a ‘hurry up’ gesture. She had to agree, this announcer had a bad habit of rambling. “Oh sorry, you don’t want to hear me go on about nothing. Let’s get on to what you’re here for! Here they are, the Wonderbolts!”

“Showtime,” Spitfire said and took off, the Wonderbolt lineup for this show taking off at the same time. Just another show for the flyers.


It was as much a surprise to the Wonderbolts that they were performing at Ponyville as it was for their fans. Of course when their number one fan Rainbow Dash found out about that she, to steal a phrase, ‘flipped the *yay* out’. I could go into details about that, but I’m sure you can guess how it went. Anyway, when the day arrived Dash had to bring her friends along to the show. You can also guess how this went.

“Oh my gosh, did you see that? I didn’t know Fleetfoot had perfected that trick already. That is so wicked!” It took pretty much all of Dash’s willpower in order to keep from doing tricks out of pure excitement. Her friend Berry Bubble fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you were) had no such inhibitions.

“Woo, do that flippy thing you do!” he called out to the flyers before sticking his face into the tub of popcorn he had. Rarity flinched away from the popcorn that was flying.

“Berry dear, can you please be more careful?” she asked. He looked up from his tub of popcorn, some of which was hanging from his mouth, and looked at Rarity curiously. “Uh, nevermind.”

“Yer really into this, aren’t ya Dusk?” Applejack asked. Dusk Shine had been watching the show quietly the whole time.

“Of course I am,” Dusk said, “it’s not every day you get to see a show like this.” Applejack chuckled a little and turned back to the show.

“Oh oh oh, I think they’re doing something big!” Berry said and pointed at the twirling Wonderbolts.

“They’re going to do it, aren’t they?!” Rainbow said, barely containing her excitement. The flyers started to spin around so much that the smoke trailing behind them started to form one giant smoke column. When they reached a certain height, the Wonderbolts spun for a few seconds before they launched outwards in a flurry of fireworks. The crowd silently watched the display for a moment before erupting into a deafening cheer. The Wonderbolts did one last flyby over the crowd, saluting along the way, and then flew away from the stadium. When the cheering died down and the crowd started to disperse, the six friends left and made their way through town.

“So, wasn’t that awesome?” Rainbow asked the group.

“Of course it was, Dash,” Applejack said, “but it’s also that we’re not as big a Wonderbolt fan as you.”

“Well of course you aren’t, I am their biggest fan after all.” Rainbow then took off to do a few backflips. “I have to tell you, I’m really pumped right now. I gotta do some tricks to get this energy out. I’ll see you guys later.”

“Wait!” Berry called, which stopped Rainbow from flying away.

“What?” Dash asked. Everyone could see the gears turning in Berry’s head.

“Pumped… pumps are used for pumping. And pumping rhymes with strutting.” Berry seemed to vibrate a little from thinking. “Oh, I just got a great idea for a party!” Berry said with an energetic bounce.

“Really, how so?” Rarity asked.

“I can’t talk, I gotta get on this right now. Come by Sugarcube Corner at seven, hopefully I’ll have it done by then.”

“Well, now you’ve got me curious,” Dash said. “Sure, I’ll stop by.”

“And that goes for the rest of us too,” Applejack said.

“Great, see you then. I hope they haven’t left yet.” Berry then bounced away with his usual cheery demeanor. When he disappeared around a building, Applejack tapped Dusk on the shoulder.

“What do ya think he has in mind?” Dusk just smiled and shook his head.

“We’ll just have to see, I’ll see you then.” Dusk waved at his friends and set off toward the library.


The rest of the day passed by uneventfully and soon the time for Berry’s party rolled around. Dusk had met Rarity and Applejack on the way and the three made their way to Sugarcube Corner. There the party had started picking up, several ponies milling around chatting and eating their fill on the variety of snacks. The trio worked their way over to Rainbow Dash, who was just chilling in the corner.

“There are certainly a lot of ponies here,” Dusk commented looking around the room, “but it doesn’t look any different than his last party. What’s the theme this time?”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out since I got here,” Rainbow answered. “I’ve tried to get an answer out of Berry, but whatever he’s got planned is apparently top secret. I wonder what it is.”

“I don’t know,” Berry said appearing from nowhere next to Rainbow Dash, who jumped in surprise.

“What do you mean ‘you don’t know’?” Rainbow asked when she regained her composure.

“Well, that idea I told you about is still on hold until they show up, but I don’t want to get anypony’s hopes up until they do.”

“What do you mean ‘they’?”

“You’ll see if they show up.” Rarity looked around the room for a moment.

“Where’s Fluttershy?” she asked.

“She said she couldn’t come because of ‘something personal’. I’m a little sad at that, but I’m sure it’s important.”

“Alright, ah guess all we can do is enjoy the party until your surprise comes along,” Applejack said and moved over to the snack table. Rarity nodded in agreement and walked off somewhere. Rainbow was about to interrogate Berry again only find he had disappeared again.

“How does he do that Dusk?” Dash asked and turned to Dusk, only to find that he had disappeared too. She looked around for a moment before giving up, “Screw it, I’m going to get some punch.”


“So, is this the right place?” Soarin asked as he, Spitfire, and the rest of the Wonderbolts stood in front of a giant cupcake building.

“There aren’t that many bakeries in this town, so odds are this is the right place,” one of the Wonderbolts in the back said. Spitfire walked up to the door, pretty much ignoring her teammates banter, and knocked on the door. A few moments passed before the top half of the door opened and a pink colt poked his head out.

“You came!” he said and gave a huge grin.

“Of course, why wouldn’t we come?” Spitfire asked and motioned for her team to move up.

“Celebrity entitlement.”

“What?”

“Oh nothing, come on in. The party is just getting started.” Berry pulled his head inside and opened the door for the team to enter. The party was going pretty well right up to when the team walked in, wherein everyone stopped and looked at the flyers.

‘Oh no, I can see where this is going. A whole lot of hassle and pictures,’ Spitfire thought and braced herself for what would surely come. Strangely for them, they weren’t swarmed immediately and the only sound in the room was Berry bouncing.

“See, I told you my idea would be super,” Berry said to the crowd. After a moment, Rainbow Dash pushed through the crowd to Berry.

“Your idea was to invite the Wonderbolts? How did you manage that?” she asked.

“Well, I found where they were staying and I was like ‘hey, I’m gonna have a party later. There’s gonna be food and drinks and everything, you wanna come?’ and they were like ‘Sure.” When Berry finished Rainbow stared at him confusedly.

“That’s it?”

“That’s it.” A few more moments of silence Rainbow put a hoof on Berry’s shoulder.

“Berry, I could kiss you on the mouth.”

“No you wouldn’t Rainbow, you’re not into that stuff remember?” The party guests started to return to what they were doing and Spitfire turned to the other Wonderbolts.

“Alright guys, you know the drill for these things. I want everyone back at the hotel no later than 11, but until then enjoy yourselves. Understood?” The Wonderbolts gave a salute to show they understood.

“Ja ho, your helmet,” Soarin said in addition to the salute. Spitfire gave him a look and shook her head.

“Just be back by 11, and have fun.” Spitfire then made her way through the crowd and the rest of the Wonderbolts doing the same. Spitfire made her way to the snack table, making sure to keep an eye on her teammates, and looked over the spread of confections.

“Wicket party huh?” Spitfire turned to find a white unicorn with a blue mane and purple goggles over her eyes. Spitfire was sure she saw the mare somewhere before.

“Vinyl Scratch?” Spitfire asked.

“The one and only baby,” Vinyl said with a chuckle and levitated a cupcake off the table, “I’m a little surprised you know about me.”

“Soarin is a bit of a fan, so I didn’t really have much of a choice.” Vinyl shrugged and bit into the cupcake. Here Spitfire noticed that Vinyl’s front right leg was in a cast and hanging from a sling. “Did something happen to your leg?” she asked. Vinyl looked down at her leg and swallowed her mouthful of cupcake.

“Yeah, I kinda broke it a while ago,” Vinyl said plainly and Spitfire felt a small chill run through her at that.

“Are you going to be ok? Breaking a leg is kind of serious.”

“I’ll be fine, we’re not living in the 500s you know. I just have to keep off it and go to the hospital every week and it’ll be good as new.”

“Are you sure?”

“If it makes you feel better I’m not here alone here.” That actually did make Spitfire feel a little better so she turned back to the table.


Meanwhile down the table, Soarin looked up and down the table but couldn’t find what he was looking for. He sighed and turned to get some punch when he heard someone clear their throat.

“Are ya looking fer this?” Soarin looked at the table to find a fresh apple pie in front of him. Soarin stared at the pie, only barely hearing the voice. “I was wondering why Berry wanted all those pies. Try to leave some for the others ok?”

“Thank you, I love you,” Soarin said as he grabbed the pie.

“Heh, I appreciate the sentiment handsome.” Soarin snapped out of his little haze at that and looked around, managing to catch a glimpse of a cowpony tipping a hat at him.

“Could that have… ah whatever,” Soarin whispered and started digging in to the pie.


Dusk was over by the punch bowl casually sipping some punch. He didn’t even really flinch when Berry suddenly popped up in front of him.

“Hey Dusk, are you enjoying the party?” Berry asked. Dusk took another drink before answering.

“Yeah, I’m having fun Berry. I’m feeling a little light headed from this punch, but it’s so good I can’t stop drinking it.” Dusk took another drink to illustrate his point. Berry looked at the cup with a concerned look.

“Uh Dusk, where did you get that?”

“The punch bowl over there,” Dusk pointed over to the counter of the store.

“Um Dusk, that’s the hard punch.”

“Pffft hahahaha, hard. That’s really funny Berry. Hahaha, I need more punch.” Dusk proceeded to walk to the counter with Berry watching him with squinted eyes.

“He’s not driving home tonight,” he said seriously. “Wait, we don’t drive, we either walk or fly. In that case, he’s not flying home tonight.” Berry nodded and was about to get some sweets when he felt somepony enter the bakery. “A new guest,” he whispered and leaped into the crowd.


“Ugh, where is she?” A gray earth pony stallion asked himself as he looked around the crowded room. He proceeded to take exactly one step into the party when his vision was filled with pink party pony.

“Hi Octavio!” Berry said excitedly and startled Octavio.

“Oh, hi Berry, how are you doing?”

“Oh I’m doing absolutely super! I mean look at this party, have you seen it? There are cupcakes and muffins and strudel and two different kinds of punch, hard and soft, and that was before our special guests showed up!” Berry then grabbed Octavio’s shoulders and started shaking him, “And now that you’re here, this may be one of my best parties EVER!” He stopped shaking Octavio and put a hoof to his chin, “I’m really looking forward to finding a way to one up this party.” Octavio cleared his throat once his mind settled from the shaking and smoothed his mane.

“That’s nice Berry. I don’t suppose you know if Vinyl is here, do you?” Berry nodded with a wide smile.

“Yep.” Octavio stared at him for a few seconds and raised an eyebrow.

“So, where is she?”

“Give me two seconds.” Berry then jumped into the crowd and, after a few moments, jumped up from the floor in front of Octavio. “She’s over by the snack table chatting with Spitfire.” Octavio nodded his thanks and walked through the crowd. It took some searching before he spotted the familiar blue mane and walked toward it. When he got close enough he managed to hear the last part of the conversation.

“…So many hamsters, you have no idea,” Vinyl said waving her good foreleg for effect.

“Where did you find all of them?” Spitfire asked.

“I wish I knew.” Vinyl glanced over and spotted Octavio approaching and waved at him. “Octy, you made it!” Octavio couldn’t help but sigh.

“Vinyl you know how much I hate that nickname,” he said and shook his head. Vinyl slung her good foreleg around his neck and pulled him closer.

“Oh lighten up, this is supposed to be a party. Get a cupcake, get some punch, just have fun!” Octavio shrugged the DJ off him and looked at her leg.

“Is that alright? You haven’t strained it have you?” Octavio didn’t see it, but he knew Vinyl rolled her eyes at the question.

“No I haven’t, it’s fine.” Octavio sighed once again.

“Sometimes I worry about you.” Octavio turned to Spitfire and cleared his throat, “I’m sorry, I haven’t introduced myself have I? I’m Octavio,” he said and held a hoof out, which Spitfire shook.

“Spitfire. You’re that cello player, aren’t you?” Octavio nodded and Spitfire tilted her head. “Huh, what brings somepony like you out here?”

“I have to watch her,” he said and motioned to Vinyl who was halfway to biting a cupcake, “I leave her alone for too long and she does something stupid like break her leg.”

“Hey it’s just a fracture,” Vinyl said offended, “and it was accident, you couldn’t have stopped it if you were there anyway.”

“You can never be sure Vinyl.” Spitfire stepped back a little since she was sure she could see sparks shooting between their eyes. Thankfully it didn’t last long and Octavio looked back at Spitfire. “Anyway, I hope she hasn’t caused you too much trouble.” Spitfire smiled and shook her head.

“Nah, she’s a little talky but I’ve dealt with worse. Do you have to deal with her regularly?”

“You have no idea,” Octavio said with a role of his eyes. Vinyl snickered a little which caused Octavio’s eyes to widen and glare at the unicorn. “What did you tell her?”

“Nothing,” Vinyl answered and took a bite of cupcake. Octavio sighed and looked at a confused Spitfire.

“Look, whatever she said about me is not true ok? She can be a bit of a prankster.”

“She didn’t mention anything about you. We were just making small talk is all. It’s not like I assumed you two were dating or anything,” Spitfire said and picked up a cup of punch with her mouth.

“Good, because we aren’t. Sometimes I think the truth is much worse than that.” Spitfire tilted her head a little.

“Oh?” she managed to get through the cup and took a drink.

“Yeah, she’s my sister.” Spitfire nearly spat her drink out, but managed to catch it in the cup and set it down on the table.

“Huh?”

“Oh it gets better,” Vinyl said and leaned on Octavio, “We’re twins!” To Spitfire’s credit, she managed to keep her mind going for a few seconds before it had to shut down.

“Wha, how, bu-…huh?” she stuttered out before staring at them in confusion.

“You know, I love the look on ponies faces when I tell them that,” Vinyl said and motioned to Spitfire’s face, “That is the look of a pony who had their mind blown.”

“I wish you would stop blurting that out like that Vinyl. Somepony might not come back from that,” Octavio said.

“Oh come on,” Vinyl said and leaned against her brother, “it hasn’t happened yet.” Here Spitfire’s brain turned back on and she shook her head a little.

“You’re twins?” she asked.

“Yes, it is kind of hard to believe isn’t it?” Octavio said and nudged Vinyl away from him.

“I just wish I could remember the look on Dad’s face when he found out. I’ve been led to believe it was a sight to behold.” Vinyl said and laughed. The laughter didn’t last long when she looked at her turntable and immediately scowled. “Oh son of a-“ she said and hopped onto Octavio’s back, “HEY GET OFF MY BABY BEFORE I KICK YOUR FLANK!”

“Vinyl you’re really heavy!” Octavio complained. Spitfire turned to see what was going on and found none other than Dusk Shine on the turntable, a cup floating next to him.

“Hey, where’s the DJ? There’s hardly anypony dancing here!” he said and took a drink from the cup.

“OH I’M COMING, YOU BETTER GET READY!” she yelled and hopped off Octavio. Octavio quickly bit down on Vinyl’s tail in a vain attempt to stop her.

“Vinyl no, you’ll hurt your leg more!” he said through the tail. Thankfully Dusk headed Vinyl’s earlier warning, in that he tipped off the turntable and landed flat on his back. It only took a second for the crowd to gather around him before Vinyl, Octavio, and Spitfire pushed their way to the front.

“Hey, you ok?” Vinyl asked nudging Dusk with a hoof. Dusk nodded with a small ‘mhmm.’ Berry popped up next to them and looked at his friend concerned.

“Dusk, are you ok? How much have you had?” he asked.

“I dunno, but I’m really comfy right now,” Dusk said and snuggled into the floor a bit.

“What a lightweight,” Vinyl commented and was immediately reprimanded by Octavio.

“You don’t look too well Dusk. I think you should go home,” Berry said and reached a hoof out to help Dusk up. “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

“Is it very far?” Spitfire asked.

“Well no, the library he lives in is only a short walk away,” Berry answered.

“Well if that’s the case I can drop him off there and be back in a flash.” Berry gave Spitfire a confused look and shook his head.

“That’s alright, I wouldn’t want you to miss your pa-“

“I insist,” Spitfire said and stared at Berry very hard. I guess you could call this stare a less potent version of Fluttershy’s stare: it wasn’t enough to paralyze, but definitely enough to unnerve anypony caught in it, even Berry Bubble.

“W-well, ok. The library is in a large tree, you can’t miss it,” Berry said and took a step back.

“Thanks, I promise I won’t be long,” Spitfire said with a smile and nudged Dusk to the door. “Alright, let’s get you home.”

“Thank you very much Rainbow Dash,” Dusk mumbled.

“Heh, guess again,” Spitfire said as they walked out the door. It took a few seconds before the party slowly resumed.

“Well, that was weird wasn’t it?” Octavio said and turned to Vinyl, “…Vinyl, what are you doing?”

“Aw, my poor widdle baby, did the big mean stallion hurt you?” Vinyl said and did her best to cuddle the large piece of machinery.

“Vinyl, I’m worried about you. You need a coltfriend,” Octavio said plainly.

“Oh hush.”

Meanwhile in another part of the bakery, Rainbow Dash could barely contain a fangirl squeal as she hovered over Soarin and Applejack.

“Oh my gosh, did you see that? She didn’t even think twice about helping Dusk out!” she said as a tiny squeal got past her.

“Yeah, that’s Spitfire for you. I keep trying to tell her that her need to help others might get her into trouble, but she never listens to me,” Soarin said and looked uncomfortably to Applejack. “Uh, you’re kind of in my personal space.”

“Oh, sorry.”


“Oh wow, that punch was really good. I’m going to have to ask Berry for the recipe,” Dusk said as he stumbled through the streets. Spitfire was taking all this in stride since she had been in this position, escorting an inebriated pony home, several times before with either one of her teammates or a fan that had a little too much. After about a minute of walking, Spitfire saw a large tree coming up to them with several windows in it.

“Is that your house?” she asked. Dusk stared at the tree for a moment before nodding.

“Yep, that’s my house,” Dusk said and nearly tipped over, only to be stopped by Spitfire. The two made their way to the front door and Dusk looked at Spitfire and patted at his coat. “H-how much do I owe you?”

“You don’t owe me anything,” Spitfire said shaking her head, “I just wanted to help.”

“Y…you’re a really nice mare.” Dusk blinked a couple times and stared at Spitfire. “Are you a Wonderbolt?”

“Um, yes.”

“Well that explains it. Dashie is always talks about how nice you all are, taking time out after every show to talk with your fans. I guess that is one of the reasons she looks up to you so much.”

“Yeah,” Spitfire said quietly and frowned a little, but shook the feeling away and smiled, “Anyway, don’t stay up too late. If you drank as much as I think you did you’re going to have a terrible morning tomorrow.”

“You know that reminds me, I think I have a bottle of wine somewhere in here. You look like a pony who likes wine.” Spitfire laughed nervously and stepped back.

“That’s ok, I don’t drink,” she said.

“Ah, you can have one little drink. It’s not going to hurt anything and you have to have fun every once in a while.” Spitfire stared at Dusk and thought it over for a moment before sighing.

“Oh fine, one glass won’t hurt,” she said and walked to Dusk as he opened the door.

“You know, Dashie’s going to be so jealous when she finds out I hung out with you,” Dusk said and laughed a little and closed the door.


Soarin made his way through the party, occasionally stopping to wave and shake hooves with some of the party goers, before he finally got to where some of his teammates were.

“Hey, do any of you know where Spitfire is?” Soarin asked, “It’s been a while since she left.” They shook their heads and one of them, Fleet Foot, spoke up.

“I haven’t seen her since she left. I’m sure she’ll be fine though,” she said. Soarin thought for a moment and shrugged.

“Yeah you’re right. She didn’t get to be captain by good looks alone. Well I’m going to turn in for the night, don’t stay up too late ok?” The Wonderbolts nodded and Soarin walked out of the bakery after explaining what he was doing to Berry. He had made it out to the streets and a way away from the bakery when he heard somepony call behind him.

“Ya’ll are leaving already?” Soarin turned to find Applejack trotting up to him.

“Yeah, I’ve got a bit of a big day tomorrow. We all have to practice after every show to keep up our skills,” Soarin explained.

“Ah, so you’re going to be here for another day at least?” Applejack asked. Soarin answered with a nod and Applejack smiled. “Well in that case, ya can come over to Sweet Apple Acres if any of ya want something to eat.”

“Oh um, ok,” Soarin stumbled out as Applejack drew closer, “I’ll be sure to tell the others.” He looked the cowpony in the eyes and felt like he had seen those eyes before. “Hey, have we met somewhere before?” Applejack replied with a chuckle and kissed Soarin so fast he couldn’t react. The kiss ended quickly and Applejack winked at him.

“Maybe. Ah hope to see you tomorrow.” Applejack’s words circled in Soarin’s mind as he stared wide eyed at the cowpony walking back into the bakery. When Applejack disappeared from sight there was only one thought in Soarin’s head that burned like a fire in his brain.

‘Was I just kissed by a colt?!


Spitfire groaned a little and rubbed her forehead to alleviate the headache. This is one of the reasons she never drank, because the last time she went drinking with her team way back when she was a rookie she blacked out and woke up with her head ready to implode on itself. As it turns out Spitfire, despite how awesome she is in other aspects of her life, has a very low alcohol tolerance. So Spitfire decided to stay in bed for just a little longer (she didn’t even remember how she got back to where the Wonderbolts were staying) at least until the world stopped being so bright. Spitfire rolled on her over and settled into the bed.

And found herself looking at Dusk Shine’s face.

Spitfire stared at the purple unicorn who was still soundly asleep. Her mind went blank at the implications of the situation and hoped it wasn’t what it looked. Dusk stirred and groaned a little and slowly opened his eyes, only for them to immediately shoot open at the sight of the orange mare next to him. The two just lay there staring at each other for about a minute before they did the only thing they could think of.

This was, of course, to freak out and scream their heads off. Dusk got off the bed, ran to the bathroom, and shut the door behind him. Spitfire stared at the door for a moment before awkwardly getting off the bed and walking to it.

“I-I’m gonna go, ok?” she asked through the door.

“Y-yeah, I think that might be the best idea,” Dusk said back. Spitfire looked around and saw her flight suit on the floor and walked over to put it on. When that was done, she took one last look at the bathroom door before she opened a window and flew out. As he flew she thought the same thing as Dusk.

‘What the hay happened last night?’


Soarin had spent most of the night staring at the ceiling replaying the kiss from last night over and over in his head. He could not have been happier when the sun rose and he lined up with the rest of the team and got ready for practice. That is until he and the others noticed that Spitfire wasn’t around.

“Hey, did Spitfire ever come back last night?” Soarin asked Fleet Foot, who shook her head.

“Stop!” The assembled ponies looked up and saw Spitfire flying toward them and landed in front of them. “I’m here I’m here,” she said and rubbed her forehead a little. Soarin and Fleet Foot shared a look before Soarin stepped forward.

“Are you ok Captain?” he asked.

“Yeah I’m fine, I just have a bit of a headache.” There was of course more to it than that, the world was still a little too bright and the slightest sound might as well have been a blow horn to her.

“Are you sure?” Spitfire closed her eyes, rubbed her head some more, and nodded. “Maybe you should sit this out. You really don’t look so good.”

“I’ll be fine!” Soarin jumped a little at Spitfire’s yell and backed back into line. Spitfire took a deep breath and started thinking. ‘Ok ok, practice. We need to practice, and then maybe a long cold bath afterwards. Alright, first we should…’ Spitfire rubbed her head again in a vain attempt to dispel the headache. She could tell that she would have this headache all day, but she won’t let something like a hangover stop her. After all, every moment she spent idle will be another moment she would think about that unicorn. ‘Still, with my head like this there’s no way I can do the drill sergeant thing right now. There has to be a workaround just for today.’ Spitfire tried hard to think of something through the headache when she noticed a pegasus watching from the sidelines that she was sure she had seen somewhere before.

“Who’s that?” she asked and pointed at the pegasus and Soarin turned to look.

“That’s Rainbow Dash,” Soarin said, “You remember, she won that best young fliers competition a while back?”

“Oh yeah, she did didn’t she?” Spitfire thought for a moment and felt an idea come to her head. “Give me a minute,” she said and took off toward Rainbow Dash.

“Is she going to do what I think she’s going to do?” Fleet Foot quietly asked Soarin.

“I think she is, and honestly I think that would be a good thing. She’s been kind of coltcuddled since she got here.”

“I’m sorry?”

“I mean cuddled! I mean distracted! Dammit!” Fleet Foot stared at Soarin as he mumbled at the ground.

Spitfire meanwhile had just landed in front of Dash who was quite surprised to see Spitfire come to her.

“Hey, you’re Rainbow Dash right?” she asked. Rainbow, completely stunned, could only nod. “Cool, so how are you doing right now?”

“I-I’m doing alright, just stopped to watch you practice,” Rainbow managed to say.

“Yeah, we should do that in a second. Actually I wanted to talk to you about that.” Rainbow’s eyes widened and found she couldn’t talk. “You see I think I partied just a little too hard last night and right now I have this really bad headache,” Spitfire rubbed her forehead to both soothe the pain and punctuate her point, “So I’m not exactly in peak condition. You said you wanted to join the Wonderbolts at some point right?” Dash nodded. “So does that means you at least have a decent knowledge of our practice methods right?”

“Of course!” Rainbow finally managed to say, “I’ve read that training manual at least 15 times, and I’m about halfway through it again.”

“Great, I don’t suppose you could maybe help keep an eye on the team while we practice so I won’t have to worry about that and focus on training?” Rainbow stared at Spitfire for a few seconds.

“No joke?”

“No joke, but it might just be for until this headache goes away.” Rainbow let a small squeal of joy escape her before she coughed a little and tried to look unfazed.

“Well, I guess I could, but I need about two minutes to get my stuff.”

“You have one minute.”

“I’ll get it in less than that!” Rainbow then took off in a huge dust cloud. Spitfire coughed a little from the cloud and walked back to the other Wonderbolts.

“Guest trainer?” Soarin asked.

“Mhmm,” Spitfire said and nodded, “With that said, you guys remember what to do for this right?”

“Be nice, even if they’re no good,” the team said in synch.

“Very good,” Spitfire said and barely flinched when Rainbow Dash landed next to her.

“What’s my time?” Rainbow asked loudly and Spitfire rubbed her forehead.

“Fifteen seconds and can you keep it down a little?” Spitfire said.

“Dangit, I was too slow,” Rainbow muttered to herself as Spitfire walked into the line. “So anyway, what practice session were you planning to do?”

“You’ve read the book, just pick one, I don’t care,” Spitfire said dismissively and rubbed her forehead, “And where did you get that hat and whistle?”

“I’ve always had these,” Rainbow said and started thinking deeply. Eventually she grinned and looked at the Wonderbolts, “Alright I have an idea, but let me get into character first.” Rainbow then proceeded to clear her throat in an exaggerated fashion.

‘Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,’ Spitfire thought, ‘Maybe I should have just-‘

“Alright, listen up!”

‘Oh good Solaris, my head!

“I have been asked to help you lot out with your training today, but you may not know that I have incredibly high standards.” Dash started pacing in front of the team, “You will perform up to my standards or you will suffer the consequences.” Dash stuck her face in Fleet Foot’s, “Is that understood?”

“Y-yes Ma’am!” Fleet Foot said nervously.

“Good answer!” Dash went back to pacing, “Now for this session you will be doing practice session 66-C. In case you all forgot, that means you will fly twenty laps in increments of five with twenty pushups after every five. If you miss count a lap or a pushup, you will have five laps and pushups added to your count.”

‘Is she serious?’ Spitfire thought while staring at Rainbow incredulously.

“With that in mind, you may now get started.” The Wonderbolts just stared at her for a few seconds. “Did I stutter?!” The volume of the yell was enough to startle the flyers into starting the laps.

‘Yeah, this definitely wasn’t a hot idea.’


Meanwhile Dusk Shine was lying in his bathtub and trying desperately to figure out exactly what he had gotten himself into.

‘Alright Dusk, be calm and think this through,’ he thought to himself. ‘Now I woke up with Spitfire in my bed. That doesn’t necessarily mean I… there’s gotta be an explanation.’ Dusk took a deep breath and plunged his head underneath the water. He shut his eyes and thought back to last night as hard as he could.


Spitfire walked inside and sat on the couch looking a little uncomfortable. Dusk walked into the kitchen and came out with a bottle of red wine and a couple glasses.

“I’ve never actually had any of Wheat Brew’s wine before, but everypony says it’s really good,” he said and set the bottle and glasses down.

“Oh really? I wouldn’t know,” Spitfire said. Dusk struggled a little to open the bottle, but managed to open it and poured two glasses. Spitfire took one of the glasses and looked into the wine.

“I can’t remember, is it standard to toast to something before drinking?” Dusk asked. Spitfire looked at him and shrugged.

“To good health?” she said.

“Sure, that’s good enough.” They clinked their glasses together and Dusk took a drink, Spitfire waiting a second longer before doing the same.


Dusk broke the surface of the water and took a couple breaths.

‘Well, that was enlightening I guess,’ he thought and sighed, ‘I guess I’ll ask around. Somepony has to have an idea what happened last night, right?’ Dusk took another breath and went back under to finish his bath. A few minutes later Dusk was walking down the stairs to leave the library. He saw the nearly empty wine bottle along with the two glasses on the table and felt a small chill run down his spine. ‘Let’s hope that something can be salvaged from this,’ he thought and walked out of the library.


“Ha, beat that Berry!” Vinyl said and slammed the table.

“Heh, no problem,” Berry replied and took one of the peppers in front of him and downed the whole thing. He gagged a little and started sweating, but managed to swallow it and bear the spiciness. “Octavio, what does that put us at?”

“Hold on, I still need to carry the 3 on that one, and it brings the score at ‘you’re both idiots,” Octavio said flatly. “Seriously, what made you think this was a good idea?” Dusk walked in at that moment and was a little confused as to what was going on.

“Um, what are you doing?” he asked.

“I’m having a spicy thing eating contest with Vinyl,” Berry said cheerfully, “We both made it pretty far. Oh, how are you feeling after last night?”

“It’s…complicated. I need to talk to you about that.”

“Well, we’re almost done with this, so can it wait?”

“Well, I guess, but what are you going to be eating next?”

“You’ll find out,” Octavio said as he put on padded gloves on his fore hooves, “Vinyl do you have any more of those goggles of yours?”

“Of course I do,” she said and levitated three pairs of goggles into view, “yours have gray lenses.”

“Thank you,” Octavio said and put the goggles on. Berry and Dusk took the remaining goggles, pink and lavender respectively, and watched as Octavio placed a black box on the table and took out some metal tongs.

“This is going to be awesome!” Berry said shaking from the suspense. Octavio opened the box and put the tongs inside, to take out…

“Chili peppers?” Dusk asked. In the tongs was a clear container of maybe six peppers. Octavio motioned with his head and Berry slid a metal tray underneath the container, which was carefully set on the tray.

“Not just any peppers,” Vinyl said with an ominous tone, “They’re Bhut Jolokia peppers.”

“These are some of the spiciest peppers on the planet,” Octavio said, “They’re so spicy we have to wear gloves to handle them. If these touch a bare part of your body you’ll have a rash for weeks.” Octavio carefully used the tongs to open the container, flinching when it opened, and set two peppers on the tray. “For the record, the only things spicier than these are rainbow juice, some other peppers, and pure capsicum, which is deadly.”

Dusk gulped at that. “And you two are going to eat them?”

“Sure why not?” Vinyl asked and levitated a pepper toward her. Berry put a glove on and picked up the other one. Surprisingly, he looked very nervous.

“How much do we have to eat?” he asked.

“One small bite,” Octavio answered. Berry gulped and bit the tip off while Vinyl ate the whole thing. “Vinyl what are you doing?!”

The two chewed the peppers for a bit before Berry started coughing.

“Oh screw this!” he shouted and spat the pepper into a nearby bucket and started downing a glass of milk.

“It’s getting kind of warm,” Vinyl said and coughed a little.

“See, this is why I can’t leave you alone, you do stupid stuff like that!” Octavio shouted at his sister who just waved him off with her good hoof. Berry finally stopped drinking milk and took a few deep breaths before turning to Dusk with a smile.

“Anyway, how can I help you Dusk?” he asked. Dusk stared at him in disbelief before shaking his head a little to regain his focus.

“Do you remember what happened to me last night?” he asked.

“You got smashed on punch, danced on my equipment, and had to be escorted home,” Vinyl said and took a drink of milk. “You’re such a lightweight.”

“Not everypony parties as much as you Vinyl,” Octavio said.

“Yeah whatever. Why do ask anyway?” Dusk looked down and blushed just a little, which was all Vinyl needed. “NO WAY! Who did you sleep with?!” That question earned her a light blow to the head from her brother.

“Vinyl, that is not a proper thing for a lady to ask!”

“Oh come on, I was just curious!”

“You still shouldn’t ask such things.”

“What, like back in college?”

“YOU SWORE TO NEVER SPEAK OF THAT AGAIN!” This kind of banter went back and forth between the siblings. Berry scotched over to Dusk and poked him.

“Is that what happened?” he asked. Dusk took off the goggles and rubbed his eyes.

“It’s really complicated and I don’t remember all of what happened either. I was hoping you could tell me what happened.”

“Well I’m sorry, I can’t tell you anything aside from what happened before you left the party.” Berry scooted closer to Dusk and put a hoof on his shoulder. “If you want my advice, don’t sit on this. Try and talk to this pony and sort it out, otherwise you may regret this for the rest of your life.”

“Heh, you’re being awfully serious about this Berry,” Dusk said and smiled.

“Well, this is a serious subject, and if I helped at all then I did a good job.” Dusk laughed a little and pulled Berry into a hug.

“Thanks Berry, maybe I’ll do what you said. It couldn’t hurt right?” Berry broke the hug and nodded. Dusk got up and started walking to the door.

“Good luck Dusk!” Berry shouted, “Tell me how it goes later, ok?”


“Spitfire, get down here!”

Rainbow Dash was seriously starting to get on Spitfire’s nerves, mostly because she had unreasonably high standards even when compared with some of the other trainers the Wonderbolts had. Well, at least she had been honest about her highs standards. Spitfire landed next to Rainbow panting a little from the exercise.

“Yes, what is it?” she asked.

“Your technique is really sloppy.” Rainbow said simply.

“Wha- I beg your pardon?!” Spitfire said angrily.

“Not to mention you’re not going as fast as I know you can. Plus you’re miscounting your laps by actually going over the count.”

“…Seriously? You’re complaining about me doing too well?”

“A miscount is a miscount.” Soarin dropped to the ground in between the two mares, neither of whom flinched when he landed. He started doing pushups and Rainbow nonchalantly stepped on top of him. “So what’s on your mind?”

“Why are you on top of me?” Soarin asked as he struggled with the pushups.

“I always wanted to do this, where the trainer stands on the trainee to make the workout harder. So what is your deal?” Spitfire huffed and looked away from Rainbow.

“There’s nothing wrong, I just had a rough night last night. Can I get back to the workout?”

“Well you can, but I’ll just ask you later anyway. There’s more going on in your head than just a hangover.”

“There’s nothing wrong with me!”

“And I say there is.” Spitfire had to give Rainbow credit, she didn’t back down easily.

“…Nineteen, twenty!” Soarin shouted. Rainbow got off him and he immediately shot into the sky.

“Seriously, what’s wrong? I didn’t even think it was possible for something to get to you.” Spitfire huffed and turned away from Rainbow.

“There’s nothing wrong. I’m getting back to practice now.” Spitfire took off only to be immediately pulled back down by her tail. Spitfire glared at Rainbow who spat out her tail.

“Ugh, tails taste horrible. So why do ponies keep doing that to me?”

“What is your problem?!” Spitfire yelled at Rainbow, “If I don’t want to talk about it, I don’t want to talk about it!”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah, really.” Spitfire rubbed her forehead, thankful that the headache was finally subsiding. “Jeez, how long has it been since this hangover started and it’s only now started going away. This is why I never drink.”

“Really you don’t drink?”

“Stupid stallion, he just had to…ah crap.” Spitfire looked at Rainbow, who just raised an eyebrow at her.

“Really, that’s what’s bugging you? You got drunk and might have slept with a stallion? Man, I thought you were harder than that.”

“…Huh? Are you being serious, you realize that this isn’t like practicing flying tricks right?”

“Of course I know that, I’ve been in that situation long ago. I’ll give you a free tip Spitfire, ignoring this kind of thing will only make it worse. You probably for the best if you talk to this stallion and smooth this over as soon as possible.” Spitfire
gave Rainbow a confused look as Rainbow observed the team practicing.

“That seems kind of deep for you. Where did that come from?” Spitfire asked. Rainbow sighed and looked at Spitfire.

“An old pain I put behind me. I don’t really want to talk about it, kay?” Spitfire nodded and scratched at the ground for a few seconds.

“Is it really that simple, to just go talk to him?” Rainbow shrugged at the question.

“You won’t know till you try.” Such a simple sentence and yet it held so much meaning. Spitfire thought it over for a moment.


Spitfire took a large drink and finished her second wine glass. She coughed a little from the wine, followed by giggles.

“This wine really is good. Who made this again?” Dusk finished his own glass and set it down before answering.

“Wheat Brew. He makes the best wine I’ve ever tasted.” Dusk poured himself another drink and refilled Spitfire’s glass when he offered. Spitfire laughed and swirled the wine in the glass.

“Heh, I might have to get a bottle from him,” she said and took a drink, “I know I could use a drink every now and then.” Dusk stopped mid drink and set the glass down.

“What do you mean?” he asked. Spitfire set her glass down and slid the hood of her uniform down to her neck. She shook her mane out and let it fall down before she picked up her glass and drank the rest of the wine.

“It’s… just hard sometimes.”


“Hey Spitfire, you ok?”

Rainbow Dash’s voice broke Spitfire from her thoughts. She shook her head and looked at the cyan mare.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine. I’m going to take a break,” Spitfire said and took off into a hover.

“Sure, go on,” Rainbow said and watched Spitfire fly away. Rainbow laughed and wished Spitfire the best of luck.

“Hey.” Rainbow turned to find Soarin standing next to her, “Since you seem to be giving away free advice, do you mind if I ask you something?”


Dusk didn’t know where to start when he worked up the courage to go looking for Spitfire. He first checked with Rarity to see if she had any ideas, which she unfortunately didn’t. After Rarity wished him luck Dusk decided to head for Sweet Apple Acres to ask Applejack for his opinion. He started down the road and only made it about a quarter down the road when he heard someone shout at him from above.

“Hey!” Dusk looked up and saw a pegasus flying to him. He only realized it was Spitfire when she landed in front of him. “Oh, it is you. That’s…great,” she said and looked anywhere but at him. Dusk couldn’t help but do the same. “Uh listen, we need to talk… preferably somewhere private.”

“R-right, well the library is usually empty. We can talk there if you want.”

“Ok, you lead the way.” Dusk turned and started walking back to Ponyville with Spitfire following. And so began the longest, most awkward walk of both their lives. The two silently made their way through town, ignoring the looks they were getting from the ponies they passed, and they were soon at the library. They couldn’t have got there fast enough. Dusk opened the door for Spitfire and followed her inside.

“So…” Dusk started.

“I think we should get the easy stuff out of the way,” Spitfire said and sat on the couch. She stared at the wine bottle that was still there and took the hood off her face and rubbed her face. “You wouldn’t happen to remember what happened last night, do you?”

“Bits and pieces,” Dusk said and sat on the couch too. A few seconds of silence passed and Dusk sighed. “I’m sorry.” That surprised Spitfire and she looked at him with wide eyes.

“Huh?”

“I guess that was my first time drinking and I went and dragged you into this. And for that I’m sorry.”

“H-hey, don’t say things like that.” Spitfire rubbed her foreleg nervously, “I don’t really drink that much myself.”

“Uh…thanks.” They fell silent for a moment before Dusk spoke up again. “I guess it does get hard sometimes.”


“Hard? What do you mean?” Dusk, despite his intoxicated state, was curious about what Spitfire had said. He was even more surprised to see she started crying.

“Well, do you know what it’s like to be popular, especially when you’re the captain to the biggest stunt team in Equestria?” she asked and sniffed a little.

“Uh, no I can’t say I have.”

“It SUCKS!” she yelled startling Dusk. “Well, not really, but there’s just so much responsibility put on you. My fans look up to me, my team looks up to me. Even Soarin, the closest pony I can call my best friend, looks up to me. I always have to play the role model and I just get sick of it.” Dusk didn’t say anything, instead deciding to sit on the couch and let the crying mare sob herself out.

“Sometimes I just want to quit, but I know I can’t do that. *sniff* I wish somepony would just see me as a mare and not a Wonderbolt, as a pony and not a uniform.” Spitfire cried for a minute longer before wiping the tears away and started reaching for the wine class. “I think I need some more wine.”

Spitfire stopped when she felt a pair of legs hugging her. Her breathing and heart quickened as she was hugged tighter.

“I think you just need someone to talk to, and I’m very good at listening,” Dusk said. Spitfire sniffed a bit more and maneuvered herself to hug Dusk back. Dusk let Spitfire cry into his shoulder for a while, gently stroking her back as she did so. “It’s ok, let it all out,” he whispered. When Spitfire was done crying she looked up at Dusk.

“Thank you,” she said blushing ever so faintly.

“I-it’s no problem,” Dusk stammered out, “I just like to help ponies with-“ He didn’t finish as Spitfire kissed him suddenly. Dusk’s eyes widened in surprise and Spitfire pushed him down onto the couch. Spitfire’s eyes were closed as she pressed harder into Dusk who, after a second of not knowing what to do, closed his eyes too and pulled Spitfire closer.

Spitfire gave a little yelp and started kissing harder, giving off small moans of pleasure. The two pulled away and stared at each other breathing heavily.

“Hey, are you getting a little hot too?” Spitfire asked.

“Yeah, a little,” Dusk answered. Spitfire smiled and lowered toward Dusk with half lidded eyes.

“Good.” Spitfire kissed Dusk and managed to slip her tongue into his mouth. They both moaned into each other’s mouths as they fought for dominance, which Spitfire was winning for the record. Spitfire pulled away after a while, her tongue lolling out, and stared into Dusk’s eyes.

“The couch isn’t too comfortable,” she whispered into Dusk’s ear and wobbly stood up from the couch. Dusk stood up as well and motioned toward the stairs. The two walked up the stairs, laughing quietly the whole way, and had barely gotten inside before they were kissing again. After a long deep kiss, they pulled away and Spitfire started to take off her flight suit. Dusk couldn’t help but stare at the orange mare, which made both of their blushes deepen immensely. Spitfire finally got her suit off, hugged Dusk, and looked into his eyes.

“Really, thank you,” she said. Dusk only answered with another kiss and pulled her backwards until they tumbled onto his bed.


“Well, not all the time,” Spitfire said with a faint blush. “Um, this might seem a little sudden, but would it be alright if we started over?”

“What do you mean?” Dusk asked.

“Well, I don’t really know myself, but I will admit you are different from other stallions. I don’t think anyone else could handle me spilling my guts like that to them.”

“It really was no trouble. I like to be able to help ponies.” Spitfire smiled and scooted closer to Dusk.

“That’s really kind of you.” Dusk’s eyes widened and he started to stutter a little.

“Well it’s not- I just…” Spitfire laughed a little kissed Dusk on the cheek.

“You know, you’re kind of cute when you’re embarrassed.” Spitfire stood up from the couch and pulled her hood over her face. “I gotta get back to practice. Hopefully I’ll see you later.” Dusk simply nodded and watched Spitfire walk out of the library.

Maybe this could end well.


“And that’s my take on it,” Rainbow told Soarin as he finished his last set of pushups, “And really what does it matter whether or not you’re gay? You’re a Wonderbolt! What have they done with their lives?”

“That seems kinda rude,” Soarin said as he stood up.

“Yeah, but if somepony is going to judge you based on your romantic preferences than they’re not exactly being polite either.”

“Yeah, I guess you have a point. Anyway I’m done with practice, so…”

“Of course, just don’t take long.” Soarin nodded and took off just as Spitfire walked in.

“Where’s he going?” she asked.

“He finished practice so he wanted to go see someone,” Rainbow answered. She looked Spitfire over and noticed how she seemed to carry herself more confidently. “I guess it went well?” she asked with a smile.

“Yeah, it did. I’m going to get back to practice.” Spitfire took off leaving a cloud of dust behind her.

“Yeah, now that’s the Spitfire I know!” Rainbow cheered. All in all, it was a good day for Rainbow Dash.


Later that day the Wonderbolts had assembled to leave.

“Aw, do you guys have to go? I had so many ideas for games and parties we could do!” Berry said.

“Yeah, we have a lot more shows to do. Such is the life of a Wonderbolt,” Spitfire said.

“Well in any case, you guys are more than welcome to come back if you want,” Dusk said.

“We might just take you up on that offer.” Dusk blushed a little and looked away. Soarin happened to look at Applejack who winked at him. He had never been more glad to be wearing a flight suit than right then.

“We’ll see you then,” Spitfire said, turned to the rest of the Wonderbolts, and slammed a hoof against the ground. The all snapped to attention and, with a nod from Spitfire, they took off into the air in unison. The group of friends watched the team fly away until the storm clouds that followed them disappeared into the distance. Rarity looked around at the group and noticed something.

“Does anyone know where Fluttershy is?” The others looked around as well.

“Come ta think of it, ah haven’t seen her for a while,” Applejack said and scratched his head.

“I’ll go see if she’s at her house,” Rainbow Dash said and took off toward Fluttershy’s cottage. A couple seconds passed and Rarity looked at Applejack.

“Soarin huh?” she asked.

“What can ah say, ah like athletes.”


Rainbow Dash landed in front of Fluttershy’s house and walked up the path to the door.

‘I hope she’s not sick or anything,’ Rainbow thought to herself. One thing she didn’t expect was for there to be a sentry at Fluttershy’s door. Angel Bunny spotted Rainbow and held his arms out to stop her.

“Really? You’re really going to try and stop me?” Rainbow asked. Angel continued to hold his arms out. Rainbow scooted Angel out of the way and opened the door. “Hey Fluttershy are ok?” The inside of the room was also something Rainbow hadn’t expected, which was Fluttershy on the couch making out with a certain griffin. Rainbow stared at the two for a good half minute before Guilder happened to open an eye and very quickly scooted away from Fluttershy in fright.

“Rainbow?!” he said and pointed at Rainbow. Fluttershy turned to Rainbow and shrank a little at her friends stare.

“Um…” she started, “I can expla-“

Rainbow didn’t give her a chance to finish before she slammed the door and flew away, her face devoid of emotion.


>Observation suspended<

>Universe entered into log<


Ugh, this took way too long to write. Anyway, I'm a little surprised at how low key this specific ship is. I've only seen a couple fics of this pairing and even fewer fan art. This obviously can not stand, we need more stuff with these two.

Next time, maybe apples, maybe music, maybe steam. Who knows?