• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 1,656 Views, 54 Comments

Charles Pathfinder - A Gryphon in Canterlot - Xaratos



A Story about Charles Pathfinder living in Canterlo. See what happens to him. Thats my first Fanfic. I would be happy if you would post wht you disliked.

  • ...
9
 54
 1,656

Chapter 7

Charles Pathfinder – A gryphon in Canterlot
Chapter 7


I was dreaming...I mean, I was 5 years old again and working for the diamond dogs in the mines...Nopony complained, nopony talked...The sound of metal crunching stones could be heard all over the tunnels. I looked to my right side to see my mother and father working really hard. But they were both getting tired. They know they can't allow the diamond dogs to see that, so they just worked. I could see many scars on my dad’s back. It was a wonder that he was still standing. Most ponies would have died because of these scars. Blood could be seen on his feathers. His eyes were just tired.

My mom didn´t look any better. She was tired but didn’t have the same scars on her back, but she was worried about me and I knew this. She was worried that I would not have a good future and that I would have to work here until my dying day. I saw her crying every day after we were brought to our cells.

The days passed and I knew this was a dream and I knew what was going to happen in my dream...And I know it has to happen. But I didn’t want it to happen because, I would have to see my parents die. But then the day came. My mother told me that I should run when they say it.

So we got to work and began like normal. 5 minutes later the first guard approached us and started saying bad things to my dad. I couldn’t hear them because there was a loud boom and a bright light. After some time the light faded away and I could see dead ponies, gryphons and diamond dogs lying everywhere. After some time my mom said I should run away quickly. And so, I did. I ran for my life, I didn’t stop running till I crashed into something big with gray fur.

“What is a little cub doing here?” The Diamond dog guard said. “You work in the caves to get diamonds for us!” I started to back away. I was still small and couldn’t stand my ground against a full grown diamond dog. He started pointing the spear in my direction and started poking me. The poking got more intense and the spear started to hurt my throat.

“Hey guard!” I heard my dad yelling and he sounded really angry. My mom looked enraged. I don’t know but she got pretty beaten up. She had deep cuts that were still bleeding. Blood was everywhere on her body. My dad didn´t look any better than her. The scars he had before, and the new ones he got today, were bleeding really bad. My mom didn’t look good either. Both of them looked like they would collapse soon. I mean I don’t know how much blood they’d lost but it looked terrible. As soon as my dad finished shouting at the diamond dog guard he charged at him. My mom did the same. They started attacking him with everything they had. They slashed with their claws and started to attack his eyes. Their attack was successful after the diamond dog hit the ground dead. There were only holes where his eyes had been. This neck was cut open by my dad and the eyes were poked out by my mom.

I was shocked so I didn’t know what to do. My dad came to me and said I should follow him. I mean I was still a kid and not used to that kind of violence. Okay that kind of violence was what I saw everyday in the mines but not directly. I saw some ponies in a really bad shape and that but nothing compared like that.

After 10 minutes of following my parents we arrived at the entrance of the cave. They told me to run. I didn’t want to leave my parents to their fate because I know what the diamond dogs are going to do to them when I leave them. What kind of son would I be if I left them. But they insisted that I should leave. They wanted me to be happy wherever my travel is going to lead me. Then there were Diamond Dogs everywhere. They attacked us. A pack of Diamond Dogs who attacked three gryphons. My parents stood their ground. They told me to run but I wanted to do something. I wanted to make myself useful. But they shouted I should run. When my dad got distracted while he was yelling at me. He got both wings cut off by a Dog and I had no choice but to watch as he screamed in agony. He knew he was going to die here. So, he tried to take a few more of them out before he reached his last breath. After killing two or three dogs he collapsed and didn’t get up again... ever again. My mom fought desperately to give me time to escape. After that... All I know is that I ran as hard as I could trying to get away, then I heard my mom scream in agony. I know what happened to her. They Sacrificed their lives for me so that I could be happy.

... and then I woke up. I don’t know what time it was. All I remember is, that it was early, and I had a job to do. I also had to visit Zecora too, so I decided to head there first to ask her if she can make the medicine for me. I took a shower to get the feeling that something awful is going to happen today. I don’t know why, but it’s a strong gut feeling. The shower felt amazing. I mean it is possibly thats the best shower I’ve ever had since... Well, ever. After that I had to go to Zecora’s hut.

A short flight and a terrified pony or two later I arrived at her hut . Not that the weather was bad or anything like that, but I don’t like the Everfree forest. I mean, nevermind. I had to go there and ask for the medicine.

I wiped the negative thoughts from my head as I knocked on her door.

Zecora opened the door and asked “What brings you here my dear friend, we had not spoken in a long time.”

“Yeah, I have no medicine at the moment so I came here to ask you if you would wouldn’t mind making me some medicine for my epilepsy?” I asked her.

“Ah, that would be no problem my dear friend.”

“Something’s odd Zecora. Why are you not rhyming?” I asked her out of curiosity.

“If I meet somepony whom I’ve saved enough I tend to let the rhyming go. I mean it is not necessary to rhyme every time. And it is also extremely difficult.”

“Ah, I understand what you mean.” I nodded in confirmation and spoke “So what do you need for the medicine?”

“Everything I need is here.” She said with her zebra accent. “I just need to brew it and put it in a bottle then it’ll be ready. Onto a more conversable topic, how’ve you been faring Charles?

“A lot has changed recently. I got a job in Canterlot, I am going to be trained in self defense, and I am allowed to go through with a graduation. I also have my very own flat!” I cheered.

“That´s a lot of new developments happening in your life Charles.” She smiled at me as she put the ingredients for the medicine into her brew and started mixing it.

We talked about casual things. How the ponies treated her when she first showed up. I think being seen as a threat to everypony is a little bit racist. It happened to me too when I was younger. Ponies can be very judgmental if they don´t know what they are dealing with. My medicine finished, so she bottled it up and gave it to me. I said my farewells and I went back to Ponyville. Suddenly I saw a grey blur which crashed into me.


“Oh I don’t know what went wrong.” I heard a mare sigh and then her voice got higher because she saw me lying on the ground and groaning in agony “OH MY GOSH! Are you okay?”

I grunted back “Yeah, I’m okay. But why didn’t you see me flying right there? I mean a gryphon like me isn’t that difficult to see.” I started to get up and looked at her. Her coat was grey and her mane was a really nice yellow. But what caught me off guard was that her eyes were kind of looking in two different directions. I kind of felt bad that I grunted at her.

“I think that you can see why I wasn’t able to see you in time.” She explained “By the way my name is Ditzy Doo. But my friends call me Derpy.”

“Pleased to meet you Miss Doo. My names is Charles Pathfinder.” I replied back politely. I looked around and saw many letters scattered around our `landing zone`. “Oh I guess you are the mailmare then Miss Doo.” I started picking up the letters and giving them to her “I think you’re a bit happy that somepony is helping you.”

“Actually yes I am. I’m used to doing everything on my own. All the ponies here try to avoid me.” She said with a deep sadness in her eyes. “By the way you can call me Derpy. I feel kind of old when you call me MIss Doo.” She giggled; trying to lighten the.

I found a picture of her and a small foal. “Is this little cute unicorn filly your child?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Yeah I had to raise her by myself.” She sighed “My colt-friend left me when I got pregnant. He was just a jerk who couldn´t take some responsibility.”

“Ah it’s okay Derpy. I don’t want to bring up some bad feelings.” I smiled at her “And I have to go again..” and then I started daydreaming and thinking about the medicine “Ah shoot...I hope my medicine is not broken.” I started to take my saddlebag and open it. As I saw that the medicine is okay I sighed in relief. I didn’t want to risk falling out of the sky just because I get an epileptic attack.

“Hmm is something wrong?” She asked me.

“No I just checked on my medicine and it´s still okay.” I sighed in relief again.

“Ah thats good.” We finished putting the letters bag into her mailbag. “I have to go. The mail doesn’t deliver itself.” She giggled.

“Thats okay. See you later maybe.” I waved a goodbye to her.

“See you later, Charles.”


Now I had just to survive my workday.

Author's Note:

Okay sorry for the late update but I hadn´t enough time to do a lot of things lately...
But whatever I hope you are going to enjoy that and have fun reading that :)

Oh and don´t mind the bad rhymes...I tried that but I am not that good soooooo just forget whatever i wrote there xD