• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 1,656 Views, 54 Comments

Charles Pathfinder - A Gryphon in Canterlot - Xaratos



A Story about Charles Pathfinder living in Canterlo. See what happens to him. Thats my first Fanfic. I would be happy if you would post wht you disliked.

  • ...
9
 54
 1,656

Chapter 5

The next morning was like hell. I looked like I died. I had never imagined that you can look like dead. The first thing I had to do was take a shower. I was really exhausted from yesterday. All the new stuff to learn and then learning for my final exam I was going to write as Celestia’s personal Protégée. I think I am going to visit Ponyville one time. Maybe the weather patrol in Ponyville needs somepony to help out? I thought about all this when I was in the shower. It just came to me. I mean I thought and thought and I came back to my past. But I stopped thinking about that and I finished my shower.

Breakfast was okay. I made nothing special. Just some coffee and buttered toast. I really don’t know what I made. And then Free Spirit entered the room.

“Good morning Charles. What are you doing?” She asked in a happy mood.

“Nothing. I am just wondering what we are going to do today.”

“You know today is Saturday?”

“So I should probably go hunting today.”

“Before that you should speak with Rainbow Dash in Ponyville. You are going to be there from Monday ‘til Friday. So you also need a place to stay there,” she said to me. “You have to help them out next week, and then you can go hunting. I think she is still sleeping.”

“Okay I am going to talk to her about that.” I took a sip of my coffee.

“How was your meeting with the Princesses?”

“I asked them about my exam and I can do that with her Protégée,” I answered in a happy tone. “And she said I can probably take some lessons in the royal guard for self-defence.”

“That sounds good.” She smiled. “And when are you going to fly to Ponyville?”

“I think in about one or two hours. I will pack some books to read and I will probably visit Zecora.”

“The one who saved your life?”

“Yes that’s her. I think I am gonna ask her if she can make some Black Tea for me and some other potions.” I groaned a little bit.

“Oh okay. Why do you need those?”

“I have epilepsy. And only Zecora knows the medicine for that. And I am running low of it.”

“Oh that sucks...I am sorry.”

“Why are you sorry? It’s not your fault that I am born with it.” I just replied.

And then we just chatted a little bit. She was really talkative and I just listened to her.



In the Royal Palace in Canterlot, Celestia was writing a letter to Twilight and sent the letter to her protégée. After that, Celestia was seeking the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armour. She had a big issue to talk to him about.

“Can you tell me where Captain Shining Armour is?” she asked one of the Guards.

“He is checking out the new recruits Princess. He should be in the barracks and probably is shouting at them.”

“Thank you. You should go back to your duties.” she said kindly.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” the guard replied.

Celestia went on her way to the barracks and she found Shining Armour shouting at some recruits.

“Captain Shining Armour, you don’t have to shout at the new recruits,” she said with a calm voice.

“Yes ma’am. But I don’t think you are here because I am shouting at the recruits are you?”

“No I am not here for that. I am here because a griffin asked me to give him some self-defence Lessons in the Royal Guard and I wanted to talk about that with you. So what do you think about that, Captain?”

“I don’t know. I probably wouldn’t be able to find a fighting partner for him. The problem is that he has claws because he is a gryphon and he could injure one of the recruits or his training partner. But on the other hand I think it would be probably interesting to see how our soldiers will stand against a gryphon,” he thought loudly. “I mean, yes. I am going to train him in self-defence,” he finally said.

“Okay I am going to inform him about that. And thank you Captain,” she said with a small smile on her face.


After the conversation with Shining Armour, Celestia was on her way to her personal Chambers. She wrote a letter to Charles, in which, she informed him about what had just happened. Charles was surprised how the letter was sent to him.



...and then I got that *burp*. “What the hell just happened?” I said. “Oh seems like a letter.”

“It is not a normal letter. It’s a letter from Princess Celestia herself. Look at the seal!” Free Spirit told me excited, and nearly jumped from excitement. I just smiled and opened the letter.

Dear Charles Pathfinder,

I talked with Captain Shining Armour and he is willing to give you a self-defence course. He will also let you fight against some of the recruits just to see how they are going to fight against a gryphon.

I also informed Twilight Sparkle that she is going to hold your final exam.

If you want to write a letter back just use these pins to mark that these are letters for me.

Sincerely, Princess Celestia

I looked at the letter and there were about one hundred pins with an emblem of Princess Celestia’s cutie mark. These pins had a beautiful golden colour and they looked really expensive.

“So what did Princess Celestia tell you in this letter?” Free Spirit asked really eagerly to know what the Princess wanted from me.

“She told me that I am going to have the self-defence course. And the Captain himself is going to train me. I am also going to fight against some of the recruits.” I sighed and smiled a little bit.

“Sounds difficult if you ask me,” she sighed.

“That’s what I was thinking too.” I sighed, “But now I have to pack my things together and find a place in Ponyville to stay. We see each other in about a week.”

“Before I forget it Charles, here is your pay check. Your first week of work was about 100 bits.”

“That sounds good.” I smiled. “So I can probably stay in a hotel if there is one. But for now you’ll have to excuse me. I have to pack some small belongings. As I said, see you in a week, Spirit.”

“See you, Charles.”


And that’s when I moved myself into my own room. I didn’t realize that she gave me a look. I just packed an old picture of my family into the bags and some books for studying. And then I made my way to the bank and got the money from my pay check. After that I started to fly towards Ponyville. The flight took me about four hours. I mean it was totally worth it. When I arrived there I landed on the marketplace. I walked a little bit through the marketplace to find a restaurant. I found Sugar Cube Corner: a little sweet house where they sell all kind of sweets and also some non-alcoholic drinks.

“Hello Sir. Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner. What is your order sir?” was asked by a cyan mare with a swirly mane and tail with two different shades of pink. She also had pink eyes and pink pearl earrings. Her eyes have fancy long eyelashes and a cutie mark that consist of three cupcakes with pink frosting and a cherry on top.

“Hello ma’am,” I replied. “I want some cupcakes with blue frosting and a hot chocolate.”

“That will be 5 bits then, Sir.” I handed the 5 bits to her and got my order. And then I took a place while I balanced my food on my wings. I placed my food on the table and started to eat the cupcake. A short time after I started eating, I heard a gasp in the background. I eyed into the direction where the gasp came from. The gasp came from a mare which had a mane which looked like cotton candy. Maybe it is cotton candy but I don’t know. Her coat was pink. Everywhere you looked at her there was pink. Her cutie mark was symbolized with 3 balloons. I don’t know what this means. When I “observed” her, she was bouncing in one place.

And then she took a deep breath and started talking. “Hello my name is Pinkie Pie and you are new here in Ponyville, because I know everypony in Ponyville and I should give you a party because you have to know everypony in Ponyville so you can get so many friends here in Ponyville.”

“Hello Pinkie Pie. I don’t need a party.” her hair just fell flat as I said that. “I am just here to find a place to stay for a whole week. I am supposed to help the weather patrol here. Do you know a mare called Rainbow Dash? I need to talk to her.”

“Oh my gosh!” she gasped. “You are the one that is going to help out here. I am going to find Dashie and bring her back.” She saluted and dashed away like a pink blur.


I was done with my food and drink as I heard Pinkie Pie returning.

“You have to talk to him Dashie. He is only here because it is his job.” Pinkie said with her energetic speaking.

“Yeah but I think he is supposed to be here at Monday, not today. And I wanted to train on some of my tricks to go to the Wonder Bolts try-outs. I don’t have the time to talk to him,” she denied Pinkie.

And then both mares entered the shop. I saw Pinkie Pie and the other mare, who was supposed to be Rainbow Dash, I think. Her mane was rainbow coloured, which I found rather interesting. Her coat was light blue. Her cutiemark was a cloud where lightning went out in three different colours. I think she was a mare who liked sports.

“Hello, my name is Charles. Charles Pathfinder. I am here to help out at your department, Miss Dash,” I explained shortly to her.

“Oh yeah I heard that they were sending somepony here. But I never thought it would be a gryphon.” She laughed, or tried to, in this case. “And stop calling me Miss. I get twenty percent cooler when you don’t call me Miss.”

“Yeah I was just here to go hunting in the forest and then it turns out I am going to stay for a week here.”

“Um, yeah...So what do you want from me?” She asked rather bluntly.

“I just wanted to know if there is a place I can stay for one week. Normally I stay at the base and I have my own room there but as it seems I have to find a place where I can stay.” I sighed “Do you have an idea?”

“Hmm we have a motel here. It is near the train station. You can’t miss it.”

“Thanks for the information Dash. I am going to see you on Monday.” Then I left the building and started flying into the direction where the motel should be. And I found it. It was a rather old building. And then I entered it. The motel looked really nice. There was this wooden floor which looked really nice and reflected the sunlight. There were several flowers I couldn’t name. I moved to the receptionist and asked if there is a room for one. She asked how long I am going to stay and I told her that. I got room thirteen. Rather funny if you ask me. And that’s how my day ended: a hot shower and then just deep sleep.