• Published 14th May 2017
  • 1,862 Views, 42 Comments

The Kalos Challenge - Riku006



Celestia accepts a challenge from Discord. What she didn't anticipate is where that challenge would take her.

  • ...
1
 42
 1,862

Chapter 5: Recovery

“I think… We’re safe… For now.”

Nathaniel panted, leaning next to a tree as sunlight filtered through the canopy above. Looking back, he felt relief slowly ebb over him as his whole team had made it down the mountainside as well. Definitely not how Nathaniel expected to spend the day; saving refugees from the Empire and then running like hell down the mountainside with Durant teams popping up all over. Holstering his Omni-Blaster he took off his cap, wiping away the sweat as he caught his breath.

“It isn’t over yet.” Nathaniel looked back at the calm but focussed Chessy. “Just because we made it to the woods, doesn’t mean we’re out of danger. For all we know, Empire reinforcements are on their way.” The Chesnaught very carefully laid the equine Pokémon down by a tree near Nathaniel, and he noticed the young girl hovering as close as she dared, holding onto the unconscious Floette tightly.

“Yeah,” a spunky voice chimed in as Spitfire landed on Nathaniel’s shoulder. “But I say let me at ‘em. After all, those bugs weren’t much of a battle.”

“Having the type advantage is only going to get you so far, Spits.” Chessy stood back up. “It won’t always be that easy.”

“You realise I have type advantage over you too, right?” A smug smile adorned the Talonflames’ beak.

“Okay guys, let’s focus.” Nathaniel spoke up, nipping their argument before it could start. “Chessy’s right; we’re not out of this yet. Spitfire, head up top and keep an eye out. If you see anything headed our way, sound the alarm.” A feathered salute and the avian Pokémon disappeared into the trees. With that done, Nathaniel turned back to his stoic grass type. “Chessy, guard our east flank. I want to cover our bases should anything get past Spitfire.” With a nod Chessy turned and moved back the way they came from, eyes scanning their surroundings.

Their security concerns sorted for the time being, Nathaniel turned his focus to the girl and the two unconscious Pokémon. Unsure whether or not it was the exhaustion talking, he wasn’t too sure what to make of the trio. The girl was clearly a slave, a fact that left a sad pang inside the ranger. Despite this though, he had seen her bravery; standing between the Floette and the Durants. Said Floette he wouldn’t know more about until she got better. Thankfully though, the fairy types’ injuries didn’t look too bad. Then there was the strange Pokémon. Kneeling down, Nathaniel slung his backpack off his shoulders as he got a better look. Rapidash comparisons aside, his gaze soon locked onto the injuries; bruises and minor cuts all over, particularly around the throat, as well as the right wing. Given how many times he’d had to fix up Spitfire during their training sessions he knew a broken wing when he saw one. With these thoughts in mind he dug his hand into his bag.

Only three? Nathaniel grimaced as the three basic potions revealed themselves as his only medicines on hand. A glance back at the equine worsened his worries. She needs a Pokémon Centre. Quickly reaching for his belt, Nathaniel took hold of a pokéball and threw it up. The ball opened mid-air, releasing a bolt of white energy that solidified into the feline-esque third member of his party.

“Whoa… What happened?” The Espion looked around, immediately noticing two injured Pokémon.

“I’ll explain later,” Nathaniel replied, pulling one of the potions out of the bag and shuffling closer to the unknown equine. “Right now though, we need long sticks to make a splint for this one’s wing. Be careful as you go; we’re still unsure if the Empire’s on our tail.” The Espion nodded and was about to turn towards away before spotting something. At the same time, Nathaniel felt a tug on his sleeve to see the girl now wearing a determined face. She pointed to herself, then to the Espion before holding the Floette closer to him.

Nathaniel looked between her and his third party member. “You… You want to help get the sticks?” A nod and holding the Floette forward again the girl’s only responses. The ranger sighed but nodded, taking the unconscious fairy type from her. I probably shouldn’t, but beggars can’t be choosers. “Alright, she goes with you. Keep her safe Twilight.”

“Understood.” Twilight replied before moving further into the forest flanked by the girl. With the two on their way, Nathaniel got to work playing medic. The Folette would be simple enough; a few sprays from the potion upon her bruises and a bit of rest would do her some good. Laying her down, he then turned to her mysterious accomplice. The rest of the bottle was spent on the Pokémon’s injured neck alone, and a good amount of the second bottle went to the rest of her cuts and bruises. After a few minutes, with Nathaniel finishing up the last of the equine’s bandages, familiar heavy footfalls told him a conversation was imminent.

“So…” Chessy asked, the uncommon tone of uncertainty filling his voice as he maintained his eastward gaze. “What do you make of this?”

“Define this?” Nathaniel sighed in response, moving to lean against the tree next to the injured Pokémon.

“All of it, I guess.” Chessy raised his armoured shoulders in a shrug. “The fact these two Pokémon were escorting a lone prisoner, or that the Empire deemed them enough of a threat to send a Druddigon to take them out? And then there’s her.” He then gestured to the equine. “Who and what is she? Where’s she from and why is she here? There’re too many unknowns in play for my liking, Nath. Something big’s going on.”

“Yeah,” Nathaniel replied, looking back at his partner as Twilight and the girl returned. “I guess we’ll just have to wait for now though. Right now, our priority’s getting these three to safety.” Chessy merely nodded in response as Spitfire fluttered down and perched on the grass type’s shoulder. “Anything?”

The avian Pokémon shook her head. “Any Empire troops I could see are still on or around the mountain. Maybe they’ve given up?”

“I wouldn’t be so sure.” Twilight spoke up, floating a few very straight sticks over to Nathaniel in a thin blue aura. “Perhaps they’re just waiting for night to follow us?”

“Or maybe they think we have reinforcements.” Chessy added.

“Whatever the reason,” Nathaniel cut in, pulling bandages out of his bag and constructing a makeshift splint for the equine’s wing. “We can’t afford to wait here for them to catch up. This one needs a proper medic if there’s any chance of making a full recovery.” He then stood up before handing the resting Floette back to the girl and giving her an encouraging smile. Turning back to his team, his features regained their focus.

“We head for South Sanctum. It’s our best bet to get these three to safety.

\ \_(-o-)_/ /

Consciousness faded in slowly for Celestia, the darkness receding like waves from the shore.

With this gradual awaking, however, the pain also returned. Her body felt sore all over. Her wing felt strangely rigid but stung like a thousand Twittermites nonetheless. Her neck shared these symptoms to a slightly lesser degree, but all of these pains were nothing compared to what felt like a railroad spike being hammered into her skull just beneath her horn. Celestia instinctively flinched, yet this only brought a new wave of agony upon her.

She felt herself moving yet her pain-riddled mind couldn’t figure out how or why. She tried forcing her eyes open but the orange-tinted glare from her surroundings and the pain from her head magnified and she slammed them shut again. Despite this she felt her movement stop and, in spite of the agony flowing throughout her body, she also felt something take hold of her hoof. This time taking great care, Celestia opened her eyes again. The bright glare from earlier died down as the colourful shape before her started coming together. Celestia was being held off the ground, yet that mattered little to her.

For there, looking at her with hope while holding her hoof, was Summer.

A smile crossed her muzzle and a thought her mind as darkness reclaimed her.

She’s still safe… Thank Mother…

\ \_(-o-)_/ /

When Celestia next awoke, the pain was gone.

Well, gone might not have been the correct term given the wince of pain upon opening her eyes again. It was still there, as was the stiffness in her wing, but more a numbing soreness than the searing agony she suffered before.

Once she could open her eyes again, Celestia found herself laying on her side under the covers of a bed. Without moving she could see the walls were divided in two; cream on the top with a royal blue beneath. The wall opposite to her displayed a simple wooden door, while a matching bedside table was adorned with a vase holding flowers; white carnations if Celestia wasn’t mistaken.

There was also a chair pulled up right next to the bed, upon both of which slept Summer. The sun was slowly filling the room, framing her peaceful face within her scarlet and golden hair. The princess also noticed a somewhat familiar orange and black jacket draped over her shoulders.

Celestia smiled as she lifted her head to see her better. And here I thought I was the one who promised to protect her… Then her smiled faded as she leant back into the pillow. I guess Discord was right. I lack the strength to protect those I ca-

“Ah, you’re awake.”

Celestia’s thoughts were disrupted by a human woman quietly entering the room clutching a clipboard. She assumed this human was a nurse given the pink and white uniform she was wearing and the caring look in her blue eyes, while beneath her hat she wore her pink hair back in two loops. Following her inside was the human she had seen before; the ranger – she thought that’s what he was called – who had saved Summer. Getting a better look of him now, he looked to have a lean but strong frame beneath his pale skin and orange and black clothing. Relief was the main emotion that filled his blue-grey eyes as he leant against the wall next to the door.

“My name is Nurse Joy. How are you feeling?” The nurse asked, speaking softly in curtesy for Summer.

“More well rested than before.” Celestia smiled, her voice sounding rough as she spoke. “Thank you for tending to me, and thank you for saving us.”

The ranger smiled back. “We just happened to be in the neighbourhood. I’ll admit though, I was a little worried we wouldn’t get here in time to help.”

“What do you mean? How long have I-” Before Celestia could finish she felt the sheets move, and looked to see Summer slowly wake up. Slowly rubbing the sleep from her eyes, the young girl looked up and her fatigue rapidly vanished as she saw Celestia returning her gaze.

“Good morning.” Celestia said softly. A smile that transcended joy broke out across Summers’ face as she scrambled onto the bed and, despite slight hesitation at the bandages, gave the alicorn a gentle hug, one Celestia returned. “I’m sorry if I worried you.” She knew the girl wouldn’t respond, but felt moisture creeping in between Summers’ cheek and her coat.

“She’s been by your side the entire time.” Nurse Joy spoke up, drawing Celestia’s attention back to her two visitors. “She refused to be separated from you.”

“Yeah,” the ranger chimed in. “For a kid, she can throw one almighty temper tantrum when she wants. Stomped on my foot when I held her back from following you into surgery.” At this, Summer turned and playfully stuck her tongue out at him, an action he returned. While the sight of the little girl acting her age was a welcome one, a nagging feeling of something missing suddenly brought another matter to Celestia’s attention.

“Flora.” She glanced around the room, her growing concern gaining everyone’s attention once more. “Where is she?”

“Oh. You mean your Floette friend?” Nurse Joy asked, checking her clipboard at Celestia’s nod. “We gave her a look over while you were under. Nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises and she’s been approved to move around the centre for the last few hours. That said…” The nurses’ gaze faltered slightly, but she steadied herself with a breath and continued. “She’s likely experiencing some degree of mental anguish from what happened. I’d advise talking to her when she comes to visit.”

“May I see her now?”

“Sure. I’ll find her.” Before anyone could raise an objection, the ranger walked out of the room.

“Well,” Nurse Joy went on. “As for your condition, we’ll need you to rest for the next couple of days while we continue monitoring your injuries. However, you’ll need to wear that cast for at least a month, and I’d be hesitant to use any psychic abilities if what I’ve heard about your battle was true.”

Celestia nodded, looking to her wing. “I might be able to assist in healing it. Once I’ve regained my strength, of course.”

“Oh? I wasn’t aware you knew Recover.” A quick glance to a watch on her wrist caught Nurse Joys’ attention, robbing the princess an opening to ask any follow-up questions. “Sorry, I’m afraid I’ve got other patients to see now, but don’t hesitate press the button if you need anything and we’ll be here as soon as we can.”

“Of course. Thank you for everything you’ve done, Nurse Joy.” With a smile, the nurse turned and left as well, leaving the princess alone with her young human friend. Looking back to her, she caught Summer still wearing her smile as she sat back on the edge of the bed. A flash of colour upon Summer, however, made something new apparent to Celestia. The young girl’s grey prison uniform was replaced by a sky-blue dress, a sunflower yellow vest and black boots.

“You’re wearing new clothes. Did that ranger give them to you?” Summer shook her head before hopping off the bed and rushing to a desk against the wall near the foot of the bed. Hurrying back to Celestia’s side, she proudly displayed a pencil and notepad and pointed to the jacket still draped on her chair, then opened it and drew a simple cross.

“Ah. He gave you the notepad and Nurse Joy gave you the clothes?” She nodded in response before she started scribbling in her notebook. Showing it to the alicorn once more, the page read “Do you like them?” Celestia nodded. “They suit you. Have you done any more drawings? I wouldn’t mind seeing them.” With Summer’s enthusiastic nodding they spent the next few minutes going through notebook, Celestia noting many of them had the two of them in some form of bliss. By the time they reached the end of Summer’s previous drawings, the door opened again.

There, floating sheepishly in the doorway with the ranger behind her, was Flora.

\ \_(-o-)_/ /

A sigh escaped Flora’s small frame as she leaned against the windowsill, looking down at the central plaza of South Sanctum’s Aquacorde District. Below her, groups of humans garbed in ranger uniforms and their Pokémon companions milled about with their duties, held discussions or took what chances they could to rest. Flying types stood vigil on the rooftops while large Pokémon and armoured humans guarded the bridge leading north. The sound of the door opening brought her back to reality as she quickly spun around to see the ranger entering, a smile upon his face.

“Oh, sorry. Was I interrupting something?”

Flora shook her head. “No, just thinking about some stuff. Is something wrong, Mr Cross?”

The ranger chuckled. “I’ve told you; call me Nathaniel, or Nath. Anyway, your friend’s woken up and she’s wondering where you are.” For a brief moment the news brought a smile to Floras’ face, only for the memories of the battle and seeing Celestias’ injuries afterwards to erase it just as quickly. She looked down, guilt and shame flooding her small body as she weakly spun her flowers’ stem in her hands. Approaching footsteps were followed by a creak in the bed. Raising her gaze, Flora saw Nathaniel sitting there, looking back at her with concern.

“Don’t you want to go see her?”

“Of course I do!” Flora shot back, realising she nearly yelled her response. She shrank behind her flower as she continued. “I-I mean… I’m just not sure whether… whether she’d want to see me.”

Nathaniel raised an eyebrow in confusion. “But she just said she wanted to though.”

“No. I mean… I’m not sure if she’ll be glad to see me.” Facing the ranger again, Flora saw him just looking at her, waiting for her to continue. “I… wasn’t meant to come along with her on this journey. And because of me…” She struggled to continue, flashes of the Druddigon and the Durants appearing in her minds’ eye.

“Hey.” Nathaniel moved off the bed, now kneeling to be at eye level with the Floette. “I’m sure she’s not mad. Well… maybe not too mad. I think she just wants to see you safe.”

“But she would’ve been safer if I-”

“Do not blame yourself for what happened out there.” Nathaniel’s voice never rose in volume, but did grow firmer. “It’s the Empire’s fault your friend got hurt, not yours. And, speaking from personal experience, it’s better to just get these sorts of things over with quickly.” Flora thought over the ranger’s words. Guilt still fuelled her fears and begged her to refuse. Looking back at Nathaniel cracking a smile, however, instilled a sense of calm back into her system.

“O-Okay,” she spoke up, though more to herself than anyone else. “Let’s go see her.”

With a nod from Nathaniel the two exited her room and walked down the hall, passing a more armoured human quietly discussing something with Nurse Joy. She even had to float out of the way slightly to avoid bumping into an Audino scolding a trio of Fletchlings by an open window. But all too soon she was led to an open door.

Inside where Celestia and Summer.

For a few moments, no one moved. Flora simply stared at Celestia, emotions battling within her as the pony returned her gaze. With a smile and a nudge forward from Nathaniel, the Floette finally entered the room, still twirling her flower in her hands.

“U-Um,” Flora mumbled, breaking the silence. “I… Celestia, I-” Before she could continue, Summer leapt off the bed and encompassed her in a hug. By the time she managed to escape the young girl’s grasp, she was on the bed right next to Celestia. Shooting a side glance at the smiling Summer, the Pokémon turned her attention to her other-worldly friend. “I… I wanted to say I’m, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I snuck away with you and distracted you in the fight and…” Tears began building up and Flora struggled to wipe them away, but once she was done, she felt Celestia’s hoof resting against her cheek. Looking up at her, Flora saw not a shred of anger. Only relief and compassion.

“I’m just glad you’re safe.” With that, the floodgates opened and the tears began streaming down Flora’s face unimpeded as her guilt melted away. She floated forward and hugged Celestia’s chest as tightly as she could, weeping into the alicorn’s fur. Flora wasn’t sure how long she spent wetting the princess’ fur, but eventually she broke the hug to see Celestia’s kind face still watching her.

“I… I was kind of worried you were mad at me.”

“I doubt your mother would approve of me punishing you in her place.” Celestia’s expression went from caring to neutral as naturally as water over stone. “Though I would like to hear why you believed tagging along was a good idea.”

Flora nervously rubbed her arm. “Well… I’ve lived in the village my whole life. I wanted to see the rest of the region. I know Mum wanted to keep me safe, but what’s the point if I feel like I’m living in a cage? Plus, I wanted to help you. You saved me, and I wanted to make it up to you for doing that.”

“You don’t owe me anything Flora-”

“Yes, I do.” Flora interrupted. “You finally gave me the motivation to leave, the way to make a mission of my own possible.”

“A mission?”

“I thought you said your village was neutral?” Nathaniel asked, leaning against the doorframe.

“We are.” Flora glanced back at him. “But this is something for me.” She turned back to Celestia, taking a steadying breath. “A few years ago, one of my friends, Leon, wanted to leave the village. He was angry, felt like we were trapped. One day he did, went near the place where Summer was locked up, came back with a big smile on his face like he was proud of it. Then when the older Pokémon got mad at him, he got mad back. He left, saying he’d find others who’d appreciate him.

“When I saw how sad it made his brother Evin, I promised him that one day I’d bring Leon back. A promise is a promise, and I always keep my promises. So, I’m staying with you.”

Celestia met Flora’s gaze for a few moments before nodding. “Very well. I’m just glad you’re safe Flora.” She then turned to look over at Nathaniel. “And I’d like to thank you again for keeping these two safe.”

Nathaniel smiled and saluted to the injured princess. “My pleasure. Though, if I may so bold to ask, what’s your next move?”

Celestia looked to Summer, who had simply been observing the past few moments on the edge of Celestia’s bed. “My first priority is to find somewhere safe for Summer.” Flora looked to the young girl and saw something approaching a frown upon her face. Celestia, however, looked back to Nathaniel. “After that, I was told there was a kingdom to the west that opposed the Empire and could tell me the truth of what’s happening in this land. I’d like to meet with its leaders if at all possible.”

Nathaniel brought a hand to his chin in thought. “Well, I know the place you’re asking about, but it won’t be easy getting there. Especially with your injuries right now.” The thoughtful look on the ranger’s face brightened when met Celestia’s gaze again. “But I’m pretty sure we can find a place for the little fire spitter over there. I’ll see what I can do.”

With that, he walked down the hall. Silence prevailed once more as Flora wasn’t sure what to say, and she imagined neither did Celestia. Summer was the one who took the initiative, moving up the bed to get into a comfier spot by the princess and give her another hug. Flora floated over and joined in before Celestia brought a hoof around the both of them, their silence becoming a comfortable, tranquil one.

Author's Note:

First off, I want to apologise for the lack of chapter updates. Things have been pretty stressful and hectic IRL for me this past year and it's been difficult feeling motivated to keep the story going, despite the fact I still want this story to succeed.

Another thing I want to apologise for is the mistakes/pacing. It's just there are cool-sounding set pieces for later in the story and it's always hard for me to figure out how to get to those points in both a timely and satisfactory manner. This leads me to make pretty basic mistakes. It also doesn't help I don't have anyone else to help proof-read before I publish chapters, but I guess that's on me.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and don't be afraid to call out any mistakes or other constructive criticisms you feel this story needs.