• Published 12th Jun 2017
  • 1,448 Views, 26 Comments

Lance of Love - Admiral Q Ponyform



Cadance has a deep secret that only Celestia knows.

  • ...
26
 26
 1,448

Leaving Equestria

I found myself in an Equestrian port city. The earth pony cities had changed a small bit since my time. The buildings were taller then those she saw in Manahatten during the war. The big change she saw pegasi and unicorns in the city. I still saw a majority of earth ponies but the numbers of the other tribes were sizable. I frowned. No doubt a result of Celestia destroying the clans, leaving her brother and sister pegasi directionless and the unicorn another sign of the unicorn supremacy Celestia allowed. What's worse these ponies had no clue of it. They think they live in perfect harmony. They don't understand the tyranny they are under. I had no future here.

I arrived at the docks and marveled at the ships I saw. I remember ships being long and short with a sail and oars. Now they were not as long and wider. In the front and back of the ship had raised platform looking like wooden versions of those towers on those castles the unicorns were fond of. Looking at the ships, most had the Equestrian flag. It had not change even from her time. It was a bit of a mockery. It had the images of Celestia and Luna looking like equals yet they clearly weren't. If they were than Commander Luna would not have gone insane and my mother wouldn't have then end up as she did. Pushing that from my mind and found a ship with an unfamiliar flag. It had the image of a sword cutting through chains in black with a red background. I saw a pegasus sitting at a desk on the docks. I walked up to him.

“Excuse me sir but is this ship heading for Freeport?” He looked at me somewhat confused.

“Of course, it's our home port. Our flag should give it away.” He then frown. “Are you from the Equestrian government because we have followed all your laws and regulations.” I lifted my hoof up.

“Peace sailor. I am not part of the Equestrian government. I ask because I am seeking passage to Freeport.”

“We have room. One hundred bits.” I looked in my bag and counted out the bits. This would take most of the bits I was given. Uugghh! The need for them in this era. I hoofed over the bits. “Thank ye ma'am. We sail in two hours.”

“I have no where to go and this is all I got. So can I board now?”

“Aye, ye can. Windblast!” A filly popped out of the bunch of crates.

“Yes Mr. Seawind?”

“Show the lady to one of our passenger berths.”

“Aye, aye sir.” The filly saluted then faced me. “This way ma'am.” I followed the filly and saw she was a pegasus. And going up the gangplank and soon I was onboard. I glanced around and saw ponies, mainly pegasi but a few earth ponies as well. Either hauling cargo to a hole in the floor or readying the ship for departure. Windblast went down some stairs and I followed. The deck was dimly lit but Windblast knew the way. We got to a hallway with four doors. Wingblast entered one and lit a match and lit a lantern. I walked in and it was a small room with a bed, a chest and a small desk built into the wall. “Well hear you go ma'am. All our guest rooms are the same so don't expect better.”

“I didn't young one. Why would you think I would?” I asked annoyed.

“You have the look of an Equestrian noble looking down on us Freeporters and especially us Doos because we don't kiss the flanks of the sun tyrant.”

“Well I am not one of those. I hate Celestia, likely more then you. You said you were a Doo?”

“Yeah, Windblast Doo at your service. My apologies if I insulted you.” She said with a small nod.

“You are forgiven and I am seeking the Doos out.”

“Why?”

“Because, thanks to Celestia the Doo clan is the closest thing I have to family now.”

“How are you connected to us?”

“My uncle was a Doo. He's been long dead but with the rest of my family gone you Doos are all I have left. Are all Doos sailors?”

“No, we are a small faction in the clan. The bulk are mercs.”

“Well I should let you get back to your duties and thank you for the information. It was very useful.”

“You're welcome ma'am.” She started to leave.

“Windblast, call me Lance.”

“Very well, Lance.” She left and shut the door. I put my bags in the chest and beat to do some wing ups. Got to get this body in shape for hopefully for my new career as a mercenary. I laid down on the floor and with my wings lifted my body. I kept a good pace, the same pace I had with my old body. I managed to keep at it for a half an hour. I was panting, by Pegasopolis this body was something. No wonder Luna was a good commander with this kind of stamina. It also showed how wasteful Celestia was with her gifts. I waited a few minutes to calm down. Once my breathing was normal I headed back outside. Feeling the wind through my fur felt so good. I found a spot where I wouldn't be in the crews way.

Finally it was time to cast off after they took on another passenger, a unicorn mare with red fur and a gold mane and tail with a flaming bird cutiemark. She reminded me too much of that monster Sunbeam Sparkle. Best stay away from her as much as I can. The ship's captain was an older pegasus mare as she gave orders from the rear of the ship by a large wheel. The crew raced all over the ship. Untying ropes and letting the sails unfurl. The ship had two masts with sails. I was curious to why have so many. Wouldn't it be more efficient to have one big one? Soon I felt the ship move. It started slow but the speed built up and soon they were going faster then she ever saw the ships of old did. I walked up the stairs to the back and looked at the city as it shrank. I had rarely left Equestria in….what, my past life? I am unsure how to describe what has happened to me. But now here I was, leaving Equestira likely for the last time. It was no longer home. Not with the clans gone. My only regret that we failed in our bid for freedom. Let Celestia rule Unicornia and let us rule ourselves. We practically did already since she rarely left Canterlot. I bet she still rarely left since Equestria was now Greater Unicornia. I had no future there other then Celestia's pawn. No my future lied in Freeport with the remnants of the clans.

"Home sick already Miss Lance?” I look to my right and saw the captain standing next to me.

“A bit, but that country is no longer home. Hasn't for a long time. It's more regret I couldn't prevent it.”

“What can one pegasus do against Celestia and her brain wash subjects?”

“Exactly, though it begs the question why you trade with them if you feel that way?”

"Trade is the lifeblood of Freeport and Equestria is one of the more reliable partners. Despite who leads them. Personally I think it is an attempt by Celestia to get us to come back.” I rolled my eyes.

“I believe that. So how long till we arrive in Freeport?”

“Five days, other reason we trade with Equestira. Fast turn around.”

“I see.”

“So Windblast told me you are seeking our clan, you claim that you are related to us. So what do you plan to do when you meet the rest of us?”

“Ask to join. I have no pony else to turn to. I may not look it but I have martial training so joining the mercenary side of your clan is desirable.”

“That's up to the materfamilias to decide.”

“Of course.” I look to the sea. “I am glad that title is still used.”

“Of course. Pegasopolis may be gone, but it's legacy lives on in us Doos and the Strikers.” The captain looked down. “For a time the Chargers did as well but they dabbled in dark arts and were wiped out. Torch Charger manage to partially redeem the name but he was the last Charger.”

'Mother, look what you started.' I thought.

“Well maybe not the last. I am of Charger blood.”

“A bold and dangerous claim.”

“I will not hide my heritage. Nor do you have to fear me going into the dark arts. It's dishonorable to do so.” 'And it cost me my mother and the clan. Curse you Celestia. My clan would still live if you hadn't force them from Equestria.'

“Good to hear for I would kill you if you were. Freeport has had enough of such ponies. Well I wish you luck in your plans.” The captain then walked away leaving me alone.

Dinner was a simple affair of bread, an apple, and grog. Grog was a new thing for me. In Pegasopolis, we pegasi didn't partake much in alcohol. Clearly that has change. It wasn't bad but not something I would drink regularly. More importantly was how the crew treated me. The fact I didn't complain about the food was a start. They soon were joking and trading stories with me. I commented every now and again. Treat them as the equals they are. Even the unicorn mare got involved. It was a good time. The first I had in this era.