• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 365 Views, 1 Comments

Dirty Birds - TheFlyingHippogriff



"Griffons and Hippogriffs can never do anything better than a pony can do"....Oh really? Let's challenge that

  • ...
 1
 365

Down the Line

We stayed in the palace for a few days while the Princesses worked with their planners and architects over the design of the canal. I looked over the plans, and studied them. The princesses promised us all 50 acres of land to every one that worked on the canal. We were starting our work where the ponies left off, and we were all up to it.

We moved our machines from the shop to the work site. Every machine was needed. It took three days to get all our machines from the machine shop to the site, and an extra day to get our machines built and ready to work. They were still tools, and a rail system from the previous attempt to tame the Northern Mountains and the River Guto.

"Good to see you, Billie," said Garrett, I shook his talon and greeted him with a smile. He introduced his shovels to our machines, "This is Laura and Lana,"

"And this is Blossom and Belladonna," I replied, introducing our Northwest 190D High Front Shovels to Laura and Lana. The two shovels smiled at each other, two shovels to two others. He had two Northwest 100DH excavators. Those excavators are very popular now. He also has two Case 1850K bulldozers, and two Cat 973D loaders just like me.

"You've got the goods, Billie, let's do this," said Garrett giving me a light tap on the hardhat. Our crews got to work from the first shovels digging into the mountain, and the project was underway in the Northern Mountains. We used the railcars, and our trucks to haul the overburden away. A project of this magnitude will take years to complete.

I was in the cab of Ma Deuce, and I can feel her joy with every scoop of earth she took and dumped into where it needs to go, "This feels great," said Big Ma

"It makes me happy that you're happy, Big Ma," I said to her, tapping the load to let Holly know she can move out. Other crews were brought in as well. Our bulldozers Garnet and Gina leveled the ground outside of the main work area so facilities for the workers can be built. Homes, hospitals and even dining areas built for our basic needs.

It seems that the first months of the work will involve flying back and forth from our homes to the site. Griffonstone wasn't built in a day, and neither will the workers village. Our machines worked in harmony with those owned by the Iron Talon Earthworks. Many ponies think hippogriffs and griffons are inferior to ponies. You keep thinking that.

I learned the two other Northwest 100DH excavators are named Nellie and Nola. Garrett's crew named their bulldozers Carlton and Clara. There seems to be no quarrels between our machines and the others or from our two crews. One thing is certain. We have a job to do, and this canal will be the link that brings our two kingdoms together.

Engines growled. Dust, rock, and dirt flew everywhere. There is a low rumble in the distance where the blasting was taking place, "Lunch!" called out Greta,

Our work day starts at 6:00 in the morning. We get our first break at noon, and then we work the evening shift until 6:00 in the evening. Lunch was a simple soup of pulled roasted chicken, chicken broth and rice. A nice warm meal is needed when working in the mountains, "I hear the plan calls for a rerouting of the River Guto," said Garrett.

"True, Celestia and Luna are counting on an artificial lake to be made in the process," said Irma, sitting on Blossom's catwalk and taking a spoonful of soup and rice. We also agreed to share our machines between our crews. Garrett is giving me permission to use his Lima 1850 Lana for the evening shift, and I will let him use Ma Deuce in return.

When lunch was over, I got into Lana's cab. I was ready to take on a new machine, "Alright, allons'y Lana," I said starting up the ignition. This cable shovel has some power.

I feel like the Iron Talon Earthworks has followed our example. This is an old cable shovel, but it looks and runs like new. Garrett must really care about his machines. Lana seemed to approve of me at her controls. I will admit Garrett is good-looking. His beak is just the right size, and he has a body of chiseled muscle in shades of black and tan.

He is a hardworking, and he put his heart and soul into making sure these machines can run again. Our crew did the same for everyone of our machines. His muscle reflects his work ethic. Lana giggled emptying her bucket into Helena to top off another full dump truck, "He likes you," said Lana, I think our crew is used to talking machines now.

"I know he does, Lana," I replied, moving the swing drive to another spot for another scoop of earth, rock and soil, "I'm just not sure if he's 'the one' or not," I added,

"Give it time, Billie, talk to him, and get to know him, but don't go up to him, you let him come to you when the time comes," Lana said, I can't believe I am getting social tips from a talking cable shovel. I must be going nuts. Yet the magic in these machines is real, and the fact that they are talking and have their own personalities is also real.

Lana is right though, I will wait on Garrett to build himself up before he faces me. When the day was done, I tapped Lana on the bucket, "Job well done, Lana," I said to the cable shovel and let her rest for the night. This canal is far from complete. Everyday we inch toward completion. We maybe working at a snail's pace, but we will get it done.