• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 363 Views, 1 Comments

Dirty Birds - TheFlyingHippogriff



"Griffons and Hippogriffs can never do anything better than a pony can do"....Oh really? Let's challenge that

  • ...
 1
 363

Orange and Black

It is not difficult to spot our machines out on a construction site. The stick and boom are painted black, and the machine bodies are painted with a nice shade of orange. Excavating is what we do best at the site. That morning, I took Galena, Irma, and Giselle to the auction block where we got some more machines to restore and put to work.

We had purchased two Insley H-3500-C excavators today. These would be the replacements in case any of the others break down or have any problems. Within a few months, the machines were back into working order. Purchasing these machines takes a lot out of my bank account, but the success at the sites put the bits where they are needed.

To all those out there, there are a few things to keep in mind. As cool as construction equipment can be, construction equipment can be very dangerous. So be smart, and be safe. Never go to a construction site with a stranger, and never play near one. You can only go to a site if your parents go with you, and the site pony or griffon says it's okay.

The two Insley excavators, now named 'Cleo' and 'Foxy', were rolled out by Gilda and Greta out to the lot, "You know, I think our Cats need a rest," said Gabby,

"You want to take the new Insleys out to our next work site?" I asked, Gabby she nodded 'yes',

"Sure, I think these ladies need to shake the rust out of their tracks," said Gabby, and I ruffled her top feathers, "hey stop that," she giggled

"It's kind of hard not to," I admitted, and touched and petted her cheek. Gabby is a valuable member of the team. Her cheerfulness can even make us laugh on a rainy day, "but, in any case, you're right, Gabby, let's put these ladies through their paces, we're going to be working on a new site soon, there's new water pipeline being laid down,"

"WhooHoo! Going to work! Going to work!" Gabby cheered, Gabby may not have a cutie mark, but she is earning good friends and working in a career that she seems to love. Gabby still works as a mail-delivery griffon. The fact she can work two jobs at once is impressive. I maintain my business with the utmost fairness as well as being a countess.

I am the first one to arrive at the machine shop in the morning, and I am the last one to leave in the evening. Oddly enough, I am starting to think that our machines have spirits. These machines have dug through a lot of rock and dirt in their time, and now they get to relive them again. If the machines have souls, I think they are very thankful.

One evening as I was locking up for the night, it seemed my suspicions were true, "Thank you," said a voice, I tilted my head and went toward the voice,

"Hello?" I said confused, wondering where the voice came from,

"Over here," said the voice, I looked behind me and saw it was Ma Deuce, "we all want to say thank you and your crew, from all of us, for giving us a second chance,"

I fell back on my butt as I was startled hearing an excavator talk, "Don't worry, Big Girl, we ain't gonna eat you," said Foxy, one of the two newly restored Insley H-3500-C excavators, "but Big Ma is right, you're giving us the second chance we need, back in our time, we loved digging and helping people out, ya dig?" she asked, I nodded to her.

"The problem is when we get old or technology changes, we lose our usefulness," said Kaiser the Northwest 100-DH in a German accent, "it really is heartbreaking to see a big and strong machine like me get thrown away or sold for scrap, but when we met you and your friends, you fixed us and gave us new life, and we thank you by working hard,"

I got up, and dusted myself off. Ma Deuce nudged me playfully in the butt with her bucket. I felt I had some words to say though I couldn't believe this was happening. I was surrounded by machines moving by themselves, and talking to me, "I am happy that my friends and I are making you all happy as well, it is like I'm reliving my childhood,"

"Are you going to tell your friends about us?" asked Cleo, "I'm thinking with all the magic around here, talking machines should be no surprise,"

"I can dig that," said Scoop, putting in his two bits, "though I hope none of them have a heart attack, that would be bad for business,"

"It is up to them though, if you ask me, I think they would enjoy their work more seeing that we machines have a personality too, you know," said Princess,

"You've worked hard today, Billie, you need some shuteye, don't want you taking a nap in our cabs," said Kitten, I love all of them the same. I locked the fence to the lot, and went on my way home for the night. It was such a surreal experience though. I will tell the crew to stay back tomorrow night, and let them really get to know these machines.

I had my questions. I wonder if this kind of thing only happens at night? What will the crew think when they see that our machines can talk, and move on their own? Princess is right. It's up them to have their opinions. I met hardworking stallions like Rivet and Jackhammer. Yet some bully me and my friends, calling our great machines 'Dinosaurs'.

The next day, I came to the shop in Baltimare with a greater appreciation for our machines than I already had, "Let's go to work," I said touching Ma Deuce's bucket,