• Published 26th Apr 2017
  • 1,089 Views, 59 Comments

Can Mario Interact? - Lucky Ness



A series of stories about Mario attempting to interact with certain things in Equestria and the Equestria Girls universe a la Mythbusters.

  • ...
4
 59
 1,089

Can Mario Interact with Equestrian Magic?

It didn't take us long to find Twilight's castle. As we walked towards the front door, Mario and I recognized the familiar face of one of Mario's doubles standing by the doors, stethoscope in hand. Upon seeing us, Dr. Mario waves and walks towards us, adjusting his red tie in the process.

"Lucky, I've been-a waiting here for about half an hour, and you know I have-a patients to care for in-a the Mushroom Kingdom. Where have you been?"

"Sorry, Doc. We ran into someone on the way here and gave them some assistance." I say as the three of us head over to the door.

"So, who am I-a treating?" Dr. Mario asks as we reach the door and I knock on it.

"Hopefully no one. You're here as a precaution."

"What do you mean I'm-a here as a precaution? If what you are-a planning could potentially hurt someone, why couldn't it-a possibly be healed by the local nurse?"

"When Twilight found out that Mario could protect himself from magic with a cape or a Spin Jump in his home land, she had me ask him if he'd be willing to see if he could do it here. She figured that if a practical application could be applied to it, then she would see if he could teach her how he does it." I begin to explain before turning back to the door and knocking again. "I thought it would be a good idea for you to be here in case Mario got hurt, because you already know how to care for humans, and I'm not sure how long it would take Nurse Redheart to learn to treat him." I say as I knock on the door for the third time.

"That's odd. Twilight, Spike, or one of their friends should have answered the door by now." I say as we hear hoofsteps behind us. The three of us turn around and see a lavender unicorn with a purple mane and tail with a teal streak in it.

"Can I help you?" She asks as she walks forward and opens the door.

"Are-a you Twilight?" Mario asks as we follow her inside.

"I'm her pupil. The name's Starlight." Starlight answers, leading us into the throne room.

"Pleasure to meet you, Starlight." I say as I reach to shake her hoof before pointing to myself. "My name's Lucky Ness, and this is Mario and Dr. Mario." I say as I point towards Mario and Dr. Mario to introduce them. "And Twilight was supposed to be expecting us for Mario's magic experimentation."

"Magic experimentation?" Starlight looks confused before she realizes what it is I'm referring to. "Oh, you mean the thing Twilight's been talking about recently where your friend will attempt to do something regarding Equestrian magic and something that she called a 'Spin Jump'." Starlight sighs. "I'm sorry, Lucky Ness," She begins to say.

"Please, call me Lucky." I say, interrupting her.

"Lucky, I'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle at the moment." She says, which I notice causes Mario to cringe. "Early this morning, she and her friends received a summons from Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They left for Canterlot immediately afterward." She explains before Mario turns to me.

"What-a are we gonna do now?" Mario asks me.

"I don't know. We'd need a unicorn or alicorn that can perform advanced magic techniques, and most of my magic relates to writing when I'm in Equestria." I say before turning to Starlight. "I'd like to thank you for your time, Starlight." I say as we turn to leave, only to be stopped by Starlight's telekinesis before reaching the door.

"Perhaps I can help," Starlight says as she uses her magic to pull out a scroll, an ink pot, and a quill. "Like Twilight and her other pupil Sunset, I'm fairly skilled in magic myself. I'd be happy to assist you while Twilight's away." I look at Mario, and he nods, accepting Starlight's offer. Starlight smiles before leading us outside. "Now, knowing Twilight, I'm going to need one off you two to take notes for us." Starlight says to me and Dr. Mario.

"I'll do it." I say as I envelop the writing utensils in my magic and levitate them over to me, turning to Dr. Mario. "We'll be needing your full attention in case something happens to Mario." I say to him as I unroll the scroll, unstop the ink well, and dip the quill into the ink with my magic in the blink of an eye as Mario begins to stretch.

"Okay, Starlight. You may-a fire when ready." Mario says before Starlight fires a magical beam at him and I put the quill to the parchment. Mario quickly performs a small spinning hop before landing and bouncing off of the magic unharmed as Starlight performs another magic spell and I record the data. Mario and Starlight proceed to test every substantial spell she knows, with Mario successfully Spin Jumping off every one of them.

"We've got a lot of data confirming that Mario can bounce off of various types of magic with his Spin Jump," I say as I dip the quill into the ink again before applying it to the parchment again as the sun begins to set. "I think we'll only need to test one more spell to see if Mario can reflect it with his cape." I say before Mario nods and produces a yellow cape and Starlight begins to fire another beam of magic. "You may also want to cast a shield spell, Starlight, just in case Mario manages to reflect it directly towards you." I add, before Starlight forms a magical barrier around herself as Mario flips the cape at the magic, sending it back to Starlight, where it fizzled against her barrier.

"I think that's good for tonight," I say as I finish scribbling down some notes regarding the latest test before walking over to Starlight. "If you'll excuse us, we need to get going. It's getting late, and I still have to find a place for the Marios to spend the night at."

"If you want to, you guys can spend the night here in some of the guest rooms." Starlight says as she disables the barrier. "After all, it's the least I can do after doing this for Twilight." She says before turning towards the doors. Dr. Mario and I look over at Mario, who nods, before I look at Starlight.

"We accept." I say before we all head into the castle.

----

*Later that night*

I was walking along a path in an unfamiliar forest when I began to hear a faint voice calling out for help.

"Hello? Can anyone hear me?" The voice said as I continued on the path, eventually ending up at a worn down castle, that could only be the Castle of the Two Sisters..

"Yes. I can hear you. My name is Lucky Ness." I respond before entering through the main arch and see two tapestries, each one representing one of the two Royal Sisters.

"We have heard about you, Lucky Ness. Twilight told my sister and I about you when you first came through the mirror portal. We are Princess Luna." The voice says as I see Luna moving in one of the two tapestries.

"What can I do to help, your Highness?" I ask, realizing that I'm in a dream.

"This morning, an evil entity overtook my sister and I. He quickly sent a summons to Cadence, Twilight, and her friends in our names. He trapped me in here shortly afterward." Luna said, her voice emanating from the tapestry. "We can only assume that the other Princesses have been trapped as well."

"How can I get you out?" I ask her concerned for her safety.

"There is nothing you can do, Lucky. We are trapped in an unfamiliar portion of the Dream World, and it's taking all our energy to communicate with you right now. But perhaps you're friends can help us. Find your green clothed friend and have his brother come to the Dream World. Even if he can't release us, we'll still be able to provide him with vital information that can help him save us all." Luna's voice starts to get fader. "I'm already running out of time. Find the Man in Green, and remember, beware of Shadestar!" She cries out as her voice fades completely.

"Luna!" I shout as my world fades to black.

----

"Luna!" I wake with a shout before Mario swiftly runs into my room with a disoriented look on his face.

"Lucky? It's-a two in the morning. What-a happened?" He asks as I slowly sit up and look at Mario.

"We have to find Luigi." I say as I get out of bed and run out of the room to look for Starlight.