• Published 5th Apr 2017
  • 2,200 Views, 51 Comments

The Elements of Randomness - Razor Blade the Unicron



Amethyst Star (also known as Sparkler) is a unicorn who lives in Ponyville. She's the librarian for the Golden Oaks Library, and loves to read. But when she reads about the possibility of a huge threat to Equestria, she's not one to just sit idly by.

  • ...
2
 51
 2,200

Chapter Twelve: Unrelenting

"Let me go!" yelled Rainbow Dash angrily.

"We'll let 'cha go once the mind magic on ya goes away," said Applejack to the tied up pegasus.

Rainbow scowled, and continued to try and break free of the many ropes that Applejack had tied around her.

"Are you sure that isn't excessive?" asked Rarity, walking up to her.

"It's better than havin' her flyin' around an' yellin' about followin' Empress Nightmare Moon."

"She'll smite you all!" yelled Rainbow.

"Whatever you say, sugar."

"Excuse me," said Mayor Mare, walking up to them. "But have either of you seem Amethyst anywhere? She would normally be trying to organize everypony, but I haven't seen her anywhere..."

"Now that you mention it, I haven't seen her either," said Rarity. "Which is very out of character for her."

"Maybe Star's just hidin' in her library," said Applejack.

"Applejack, darling, I know that you don't particularly like Amethyst, but can't you give her he benefit of the doubt at least once?"

"Fine. She's probably in her library lookin' for a solution for this situation. And her little breezie friend is probably helpin' her."


Amethyst slowed down her running once her head started to pound once again. The others ran up to her, with everypony except for Fleetfoot and Limestone looking rather tired from the sudden run. Amethyst was about to say something to them, when she flinched in pain, and put her hoof to her horn.

"Are you alright?" asked Saffron. "You haven't over exerted yourself?"

"I'm... fine..." muttered Amethyst as sparks of magic flickered around her horn.

"Uh, no, you're not fine," said Limestone. "I don't know many unicorns, but I can tell that your horn sparking out isn't good sign."

Amethyst vacantly nodded, when a low growl caught her attention. She automatically used her spell, and ignoring the pain, located the source.

"Are you even listening to me?" asked Limestone.

"There's a timber wolf over there..." muttered Amethyst as the awful smell of its breath wafted over.

"A what?" asked Fleetfoot, just as the timber wolf lunged out from its hiding place with its jaws open wide.

Amethyst quickly gathered moonlight on the tip of her horn, and blasted a beam of magic off at the timber wolf, sending sprawling across the ground. It quickly got back up, before Limestone kicked a nearby stone into it, breaking it into pieces.

"Well that was underwhelming," she said, before the timber wolf reformed. "Or not.."

Amethyst didn't even need to check her book on how to deal with the timber wolf. She had dealt with one before when she and Twirly had gone to visit Fluttershy. The timber wolf had chased after the poor pegasus, who had just been trying to comfort it, but Amethyst managed to scare it off by continually shining beams of light into its eyes. But that had been with sunlight. Moonlight was generally used for more of a blast of light as opposed to a beam.

She gathered more moonlight on her horn, and managed to focus it into a beam on the timber wolf. It growled angrily, but Amethyst continued holding the beam. The smell of burning wood began to waft off the timber wolf, and it turned and sprinted away. Amethyst's horn flickered out, before she simply fainted onto the ground.

"Shoot..." said Limestone.

"Uh, anypony know how to make Amy less unconscious?" asked Flitter.

"I think I might," said Saffron. "I think the issue is that Amethyst has just used too much of her magic while under strain. So she just needs some magic."

"Like a potion?" asked Lotus.

"That would work... Expect I think that out of all of us, Amethyst is the only one who knows how to make a magic replenishing potion." Everypony fell silent for a moment. "I could give her some of my magic directly."

"What?" asked Fleetfoot.

Saffron didn't respond, and her horn lit up with deep purple magic. A small stream of magic moved through the air from her horn, before connecting with Amethyst's horn. Saffron closed her eyes and gritted her teeth while her magic flowed freely into Amethyst.

"Saff, don't strain yourself," said Flitter nervously, just as Saffron's magic winked out.

"Did it work?" she asked groggily.

"Hey, Sparkler, I'm gonna rip this book page if you don't get up," said Limestone, reaching over towards one of Amethyst's books.

"What?" asked Amethyst, quickly sitting up.

"It worked."

"Did I miss something?" She looked over at Saffron, who gently put her hoof to horn. "Wait, did you give me some of your magic?"

"Yes," said Saffron with a gentle nod. "I wasn't really using it anyways."

"But that's like using a magic drain on yourself!"

"Uh, I'm lost," said Fleetfoot.

"A direct magic transfer hurts!" said Amethyst. "And it severely drains your own magic levels!"

"You needed it more," said Saffron, lowering her hoof. "And I'm fine. It didn't hurt that much."

"But-"

"It already happened, so let's get moving!" said Limestone. "Nightmare needs her flank to get kicked!"

She walked forward, with everypony else soon following. Amethyst looked over at Saffron again, who gently placed her hoof on her horn once again.

"Thanks," said Amethyst. "But you really didn't need to give me that much."

"It's no trouble for a friend," said Saffron with a smile.


Nightmare Moon's magic was strong. Twilight knew that it was strong. After all, she was an alicorn with enough power to raise and lower both the sun and the moon. She was strong enough to trap Celestia in the sun. She was strong enough to escape from the moon after the Elements of Harmony had imprisoned her there.

So it was really awful being under her mind control spell. It didn't exactly make Twilight think certain thoughts, it just forced those thoughts into her mind over and over again. Nightmare was in control of her, and she was fighting as hard as possible to break free. She didn't know who was coming to stop Nightmare, but as sure as Celestia loved cake, she didn't want to stop them.

But who was the unicorn Nightmare was talking about? Sure, Twilight was also curious of who the other ponies were, but Nightmare specifically wanted to deal with this unicorn herself. Plus, she had some sort of captive in the other room. Whoever it was had sounded so quiet with a specific accent...

Who else knows about the Elements? thought Twilight through the stream of words being fed to her. Princess Celestia for sure, but she's trapped on the sun. I know, but I don't remember talking to anypony else except for the Princess...

"BE QUIET, YOU LITTLE BUTTERFLY!" yelled Nightmare from the other room.

A butterfly? Why would Nightmare have captured a butterfly? Unless butterfly was meant to be some sort of insult. But why would Nightmare call a pegasus a butterfly-

A breezie! She's yelling at a breezie! And that unicorn at the library, the breezie was her assistant! But I didn't tell her about Nightmare Moon... Was I reading out loud again? And does she have enough magical prowess to create the spark to find the sixth Element?

If she could have, Twilight would have sighed. Hopefully she could break free of Nightmare's mind control, or that unicorn would have to be able to stand up to Nightmare alone.