• Published 5th Apr 2017
  • 2,188 Views, 51 Comments

The Elements of Randomness - Razor Blade the Unicron



Amethyst Star (also known as Sparkler) is a unicorn who lives in Ponyville. She's the librarian for the Golden Oaks Library, and loves to read. But when she reads about the possibility of a huge threat to Equestria, she's not one to just sit idly by.

  • ...
2
 51
 2,188

Chapter Nine: Danger

The glow on Amethyst's horn wavered slightly as the group continued through the Everfree Forest. She had been using her spell to keep an eye out for any danger, but was yet to spot anything. It was better to be safe than sorry.

"Aren't you getting tired from using your spell for so long?" asked Saffron.

"No, it's my signature," replied Amethyst.

"Signature?" asked Limestone. "What's that?"

"The specific spell that goes with a cutie mark, or the specific ability that goes with anypony's cutie mark, to be precise. Such as if as if a pony's cutie mark was balloons, it could mean that they are talented with things party related, yet they have a certain affinity with balloons."

"Huh. That does make a lot of sense..."

"Whoa," said Fleetfoot. "When did we get up on a cliff?"

Amethyst paused from speaking as saw that there was a large cliff in front of them, and carefully walked out on it. She looked down at the rest of the forest, still using her spell, until she spotted a castle spire in the distance.

"That's where the Elements are," she said, pointing her hoof over at the spire. "Does anypony see a way to get down this cl-"

She cut off as the cliff suddenly broke away from the rest of the rock it was attached to, and she and everyone else started to fall (except for Fleetfoot and Flitter, as they were pegasi). Fleetfoot reacted first by flying over and grabbing both Lotus and Saffron, with Flitter helping her to try and keep them airborne. Amethyst had managed to grab onto a ledge formed by the cliff breaking off, but there was dangerous chunks of rock and other debris falling past her.

"Sparkler!" called Limestone from above her, though Amethyst couldn't see her. "You okay?"

"I grabbed onto a ledge, I'm fine!" she called back, gripping on tightly.

She looked over at Fleetfoot and Flitter, who were barely managing to dodge out of the way of the falling rocks. A particularly large one fell towards them, and Amethyst reacted by grabbing it in her magic. The heft of the boulder, it's momentum from falling, and the rocks hitting her blazing horn all made it far more difficult than she would have liked, but Amethyst managed to bring the boulder to a halt.

"Going down is safer!" called Fleetfoot to Flitter. "Just keep holding on while we descend!"

"Got it!" replied Flitter

"Sparkler, watch out!" yelled Limestone abruptly, and Amethyst barely managed to dodge out of the way of another rock. "You keep holding on, I'll jump down and grab you!"

"Are you crazy?!?" cried Amethyst. "There's no place for you to land!"

"There's ground! Come on, Sparkler, please! I need to jump now!"

Above her, Amethyst saw Limestone jump off the edge of the cliff (how had she managed to not fall?), and gritted her teeth with nervousness. Just as Limestone came close enough, she stuck out one of her hooves, and Limestone grabbed it, pulling both of them towards the ground.

"Hang on!" called Limestone, to which Amethyst quickly wrapped her hooves around the Earth pony's neck.

The ground approached quickly, where there was rocks and debris littered everywhere. Limestone fell towards the largest portion of rock she could find, and slammed into it with her forehooves. Cracks formed throughout the boulder, absorbing Limestone's fall. She took a few deep breaths of relief, before jumping down to move her and Amethyst away from the rest of the avalanche of rocks.

"You okay?" she asked Amethyst.

"Y-yeah," she replied, carefully letting go of Limestone and slipping into the ground. "Are you okay?"

"I've had to hit things harder before."

At that point, Fleetfoot and Flitter managed to land safely with Lotus and Saffron.

"Everypony okay?" asked Fleetfoot. "We all got through that injury free?"

"I think we're all good," said Amethyst, ignoring the pain in her horn. "But I wonder... Cliffs don't just break like that. Do you think it was Nightmare Moon?"

"I thought she was still in Ponyville..." said Saffron.

"But she knows that the Elements are here, and knows that they're her only weakness. It makes sense that she would be trying to stop anyone who's after them..."

"Then ve should hurry," said Lotus.

Amethyst nodded, and carefully lit up her horn to use her spell once again. However, she flinched in pain, and her magic quickly sparked out.

"Did overexert yourself?" asked Saffron nervously.

"Probably," said Amethyst. "Didn't help that I kept getting hit... But it won't last very long, and I'll be able to use my magic again, soon."

Saffron frowned with worry, but simply nodded. "If you say so..."

"We'd better hurry before Nightmare tries somethings else while we're just standing here..."


Nightmare Moon was furious, to say the least. That group of untrained, random ponies should not have even been able to get by the cockatrice! And it was because of that blasted unicorn! She had already been prepared to go after the Elements!

"I see what you tried to do, Celestia," hissed Nightmare angrily. "You made me think that little guardspony was the one you were sending after the Elements. You tricked me with her magical abilities. But you can't fool me any longer, sister. I know that unicorn is the one you've sent. Perhaps a student of your's."

She slammed her hoof into the ground of the castle, leaving a large dent in the stone. Her Shadowbolt was stationed in Ponyville to prevent them from trying anything. Her Midnight Warrior was waiting at the front of the castle as defense.

"But no pony is without weaknesses," she said, a malicious grin starting to form. "And I can tell that they all have weaknesses. Especially the unicorn. Oh, she may be able to stop physical confrontations, but she will be no match when dealing with one of emotions." Her horn began to glow dark blue. "And once the strong falls... The rest will follow."