• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 3,920 Views, 140 Comments

Spice on the wind - xscar10



A human arrives in Equestria. He arrives with no idea how he arrived, and deals with... changes, too

  • ...
15
 140
 3,920

The end is neigh

I started running down the street, out of town, and toward Canterlot. I could run a lot faster than before; I have no idea how fast I was actually running, but it might as well have been a hundred miles an hour. I got to the streets of Canterlot in no time, or where Canterlot should have been. In its place was a city with degraded buildings, and darkened skies. The streets were littered with refuse and debris.
At first I thought that all the ponies had disappeared, like in Ponyville, but caught the eventual eye of a pony or two looking out from inside the boarded windows. They looked out blankly, as if they couldn't even see me, and they had a faint orange glow in their eyes. They sat, mostly emotionless, just watching... save one pony, a mare with a blue coat, a white mane and tail, and a horn prominently displayed atop her head. Her cutie mark was a scroll neatly bound with a silver seal... and she was crying.
I passed by, when Canterlot castle came fully into view. It had been completely remade into a black stone with a massive, narcissistic, statue of Shallow in the courtyard; fangs bared in a smile. I jumped over the gate, and immediately a siren sounded. The Canterlot guards galloped, and flew into the yard seconds after I set foot on the grounds.
"They've stepped up security since I was here last time." I chuckled nervously.
"Halt, trespasser!" A guard said, pointing his horn at me.
"Hey! Hold up! I'm halted!" I said holding up my hands.
"Commander Wayland, we have the intruder in custody." The guard said.
"Ah, you've been expected, but I didn't think it would be so easy to catch you." The red horse said, walking out in front of me, a massive sword strapped to his back.
"You presume much. Now tell me, what's going on here?" I asked, crossing my arms.
"Cocky, I like that." Wayland said with a chuckle. "Well, put simply, Shallow took revenge on Celestia, imprisoning her in his own cell." He said, and I looked up at the castle.
"Why? Why would he do that?" I asked, running my hand through my hair.
"Proper motivation can make a man do anything." Said Wayland, and I as I looked at the castle, my eyes happened upon the highest tower. Suddenly I saw Shallow on his balcony, but he paid no attention to me. He simply walked out and stood at the edge, looking up into the sky.

For a thousand years
I've waited here for you
Waiting every night
For I thought you were the
answer to my life!

Days turned into years
and into centuries
Patience had to fade.
Don't you see that there is
vengeance in my eyes?

Luna won't you cry for me
I'm as lonely as I've ever been
I am forced back into the start
Is there any way to fix a broken heart?

Infinite despise
and endless jealousy
Bottled in my soul
Has erupted as I'm
tearing through the skies!

Days turned into years
and into centuries
Patience had to fade.
Don't you see that there is
vengeance in my eyes?

Luna won't you cry for me
I'm as lonely as I've ever been
I am forced back into the start
Is there any way to fix a broken heart?

Days turned into years
and into centuries
Patience had to fade.
Don't you see that there is
vengeance in my eyes?

Luna won't you cry for me
I'm as lonely as I've ever been
I am forced back into the start
Is there any way to fix a broken-

Luna won't you cry for me
I'm as lonely as I've ever been
I am forced back into the start
Is there any way to fix a broken heart?

Is there any way to fix a broken heart?

Author's note:
OdysseyEurobeat- Luna

Shallow cried out into the sky, and faded back into the tower.
"Well that was almost a perfect answer, now I just need context." I said, and turned back to Wayland. He shook his head and sighed.
"That's too bad... You won't live long enough to find out." He said boastfully, and with a prideful smile.
"Again, you presume much..." I said, and he chuckled.
"We will see." He said, stepping back. "Guards, take him." He said, and they stepped forward. I was surrounded by several colored auras as they started to lift me, but I grabbed onto the ground. I dug my fingers into the dirt, and in one quick motion leaped forward. I knocked back a couple guards, and tossed them into the others. A slightly impressed Wayland chuckled he pulled the sword from its sheath. He held it in his hoof, and I chuckled.
"You're going to fight me with a sword?" I asked as I continued to fight off guards.
"You seem to think I'm at a disadvantage." He said, in a gruff, arrogant tone.
"Well you aren't exactly built for it." I said finishing the last of the guards.
"Am I now? Let's test your theory." He said, and stood on his hind legs. He stood at least eight feet high, and swung the sword faster than I could make a witty comeback. I ducked under his slash, and dashed to the side to avoid a second. I lay in a good blow on his stomach. He doubled over, and I kneed him in the face. He fell back, and looked up at me.
"What...!? You weren't this strong before, or this fast. Just days ago I was more than a mach for you!" He said, standing with the aid of his sword.
"I as you can see, changed a lot in a few days." I said, and got ready for his next move. He leaped forward, and slashed down at me. I rolled to the side, and laid a kick onto his leg. I heard a loud crack, and he fell forward.
"No! He said that you wouldn't stand a chance against me..." He said, tossing the sword to the side.
"Well you're strong, and can swing that sword pretty well, but you're slow. You were easier than the first guy actually." I said, and kneeled down by him. "Now tell me... Where are my friends?" I asked, as he struggled to stand even on all fours.
"No, it's not that easy. You have to keep going... into the castle." He said, and I shrugged.
"...Ok." I said, and knocked him in the side of the head. He fell over unconscious, just like Victory. I looked over to the castle doors, and grimaced. I ran over, and grabbed the handle. I flung it open when-
BOOM
Apparently the door had been booby-trapped, and an explosion sent me flying. I hit the statue of Shallow, and was seeing spots. I look up, and saw it open, wit a cannon aimed at me. I stood up, and ran forward, ramming it with my shoulder, and getting really dizzy afterwards. My head cleared up after a few seconds, and I continued through the castle. As I look around, it mostly seems the same, so I remember where everything is. I continue through the corridors until I find the dungeon. I walk inside, and immediately see what I was looking for.
"Dash!" I say, running up to the bars, but as I get closer, she just stands there. She was in the same trance like state as the ones I saw before. The other five were there too, along with a few background ponies, and Starbright. They were all in the trance, and blankly gazing forward. I rip the door off it's hinges, and step inside. None of them reacted. I kneeled down beside Dash, and shook her a little.
"Come on Dashie... It's me, big guy." I said, and still nothing. When I thought aloud...
"Well I could always do what they do in movies to break a spell on a princess..." So leaned in to kissed her, and...
Nothing.
"Hmm... it was worth a shot." I said, standing up.
"Looks like that option's out." I said, and walked back out. I headed out towards Shallow's old cell; Wayland said Celestia was there. I eventually found the cell, and the door was closed, as expected.
"Princess, are you in there?" I said, and saw her looking out the window.
"Who's there?" She asked turning to see me.
"Princess it's me." I said, waving my hand through the bars.
"Finally! Quickly, you must free me!" She said, galloping over to the door.
"What's going on? What happened while I was out?" I asked, opening the door.
"Shallow. He went mad, or already was. He put all of the ponies under a spell, and trapped me in here. We have to get to Luna, and the elements of harmony." She said, and we ran out into the hall.
"I already found Twilight, and them in the dungeon, but I don't know where Luna is." I said, and she stopped.
"I suspect Luna is in her room, you find her. I'll break the spell on the girls, and confront Shallow in the throne room." She said pointing up the stairs.
"Are you sure you can handle him?" I asked, and she nodded.
"Yes, with me, Luna, and the elements of harmony not even he can defeat us." She said, and I nodded.
"Alright, I'll meet you there." I said, and started to run.
"Good luck to you!" She called out.
I ran up the stairs, and around the corner. I was mostly thinking about how glad I was to climb up the tower from the inside for once. I ascended the stairs, and saw two guards buy the door. I caught the first one off guard, and tossed him buy his horn. The second attacked, and leaped forward. I jumped, and hung on the ceiling, and he continued, tripping down the stairs. I then opened the doors to Luna's room.
I saw a flash, and faster than I could blink, I was launched backwards. I'm beginning to sense a pattern... doors are bad. Looking up to see what hit me, I saw a blurred figure standing above me. As the figure came into focus, I saw it was the Captain picking me up by my collar.
"What are you doing?! We're on the same s-" I stopped as I looked into his eyes and saw a orange glow around his iris.
"No, not you too..." I said, before he tossed me out the window. I felt the wind around me as I started to gain speed, but stopped suddenly at contact with the captain's fist. He tossed me up, and flew by, knocking me back again, and again. He wouldn't even let me hit the ground. He just kept pummeling, and pummeling until he finally kicked me strait down. I landed loudly and luckily on grass.
"You think I'd just let you run through here, and try to stop Shallow? No, he is strong, stronger than you and me. At least I might let you live. His plan was flawless." He said, hovering above me.
"What plan was that?" I asked struggling to my feet. My whole body was sore, and covered with bruises, and cuts, some bleeding. I was pretty sure I broke a few bones before, but obviously I was wrong. I don't know how I survived that much less as well as I did.
"You haven't figured it out yet?... Oh yes, you've been asleep. Allow me to enlighten you." The Captain said, and landed in front of me. He took in a deep breath, and kicked me in the stomach before I could blink. "You'll have to ask him yourself if you survive." He said, flapping once to fly upwards. I gained my footing, and by the time I looked up I saw a ring of red, white, and blue, accompanied by a rather loud boom.
I knew he was coming at me and fast but how was I going to stop him? I'm hurt bad, and I'm not going anywhere soon. Guess I'll have to see just how strong I am, and take it head on. I closed my eyes and, dung my feet into the ground as I heard him zooming down. I felt a force impact me directly in the stomach, and my eyes shot open.
He was digging his heel into my stomach while still flying forward. Given that this might be my only opportunity, I grabbed his foot. I saw the shock on his face as a shrewd smile crept onto mine. Given the fact that he's trapped, I dug my heels into the ground, and 180°ed him over my shoulder, and into the ground. His body flopped around like a rag doll, before opening his wings, and catching himself right side up.
"Those are some quick reflexes. I'm genuinely surprised you were able to stop me." He said with a chuckle as he dusted himself off.
"Me too." I replied, trying to catch my breath.
"Well, as lucky as that shot was, I'm not holding back any more." He said, cracking his knuckles.
"You're kidding right...?" I said, realizing that it sounded like a line from just about every anime villain ever...
"Nope. Sonic rain-boom happens at the speed of sound, mach one. I've clocked myself at the highest of mach two." He said, and I gulped rather loudly. "I doubt you'd even see a hit like that, much less survive it." He cracked his neck.
"... Nah, I think I'll finish you off first." I said in mock confidence.
"Goodbye. It was nice knowing another human while it lasted." He said, shaking his head. 'I have to think fast. What can I do to-" I thought as he flew back up in the air. He shot strait up into the sky, arching overhead. I heard him craning through the air toward me, and I could only think of one thing to do. I reared my head back, and with all the power I could spare... head-butted him.
I could hear a loud crack as my head impacted him. I missed my target, but hit his back instead. I could hear what I knew was the sound of his wing breaking. The force of his blow greatly diminished upon contact, but he still managed to knock me over. He left a blood and feather trail in the dirt, as he rag-dolled on the ground.
I tried to sit up, but I couldn't move in the slightest. My muscles were past there limits as it was, not to mention I probably have a concussion. I lay there, looking up at the sky, and hear the Captain shifting slightly before I black out.
"Hey..." Said a voice, but I ignored it. I was in too much pain.
"Hey nimrod! Get up!" Said the voice, as I felt a slap to the face. I opened my eyes slightly, and saw the Captain above me.
"Crap... I was sure I won..." I said, closing my eyes again.
"You did you moron. Look me in the eye." The Captain said, and I opened my eyes. The orange rim in his iris was gone. "You must have hit me hard enough to shake me out of that funk I was in." He said, picking me up.
"Oh... well alright then." I said with a chuckle.
"Come on, get up; we gotta go." He said, and stood me up.
"Yeah but... I don't think I can move." I said, as my legs shook under my weight.
"No way. You don't have the luxury of defeat. You are going to get up, and finish your mission soldier." Said the Captain, and as he did I got a good look at his right wing it was torn, bleeding, and limp. I really had done a number on him.
"Captain I-" I started, but he interrupted me.
"No excuses soldier. I'm getting you back up there if I have to climb the castle with you on my back." He said, placing a hand on my shoulder.
"Or you could bring Luna down here. That would be easier." I said, and he shook his head.
"No can do. Luna is under a spell that put her to sleep until Shallow wakes her." He said, and my heart sunk further. "That is, unless we can wake her..." He said, and I glance up at him.
"Us?... How are we going to break Shallow's spell?" I asked, and he pointed to his chest.
"Shallow knows a thing or two about magic. He told me what these are." He said, and I looked down at the mark on my chest. "The most powerful magic in Equestria is the elements of harmony, but we aren't from Equestria. From the world of men there are three elements. The elements of order. The elements are Courage, Wisdom, and Power. I have Courage, and you have Wisdom." He said, and pointed to my chest.
"But the owner of the element Power, the first human in Equestria, is dead. Shallow showed me that already." I said contemplating what this means.
"Doesn't matter, one of us is twice as strong as any individual element of harmony. Two is enough to break Shallow's spell, but we need to get up into that tower. So get moving, or I'll drag you there." He said forcefully, and I laughed.
"You're right. As hopeless as I may feel, I quitting isn't an option. Let's go." I said, and started to walk. Every step felt heavy; every step felt like my leg was going to give way after the next step, but never did. We climbed the tower step by step, until we reached Luna's room.
"Right, now we just need-" The Captain said as we opened the door, only to see Luna's bed was empty.
"She's... gone?!" I exclaimed, looking around the room, with an ever so slight panic.
"But she... Shallow!" The Captain said in anger. I looked out the window, and saw the dark clouds circling the castle.
"Come on, we need to get to the throne room. Shallow's there... waiting for us." I said, hobbling back to the stairs.
"Slow down... without Luna, we are at a serious disadvantage." He said, and I continued down the stairs.
"Doesn't matter. Celestia is waiting for us, the longer we take, the longer she has to fight without us." I said straining my voice with each step.
"Wait? Celestia's fighting without us?!" The Captain exclaimed, following me down the steps.
"She's not alone; she has the elements of harmony." I said, and followed the stairway downward.
"Are you crazy?! Even with the elements she's outmatched! Shallow's magic is strong, and unnatural. He's been planning this for over twenty years. You think he didn't account for the elements, and Celestia's strength?" He walked beside me, and tried to convince me of the grievousness of the situation.
"Well... then let's not wait time talking about it, and get down there!" I said equally as frantic as him. We made our way down to the main chambers, where they were met by a Euna. Standing with her elegant black wings outstretched as she seemed to expect us.
"Ah, boys... So you showed right on time." She said, and walked forward, her elegant stride framed by her beautiful wings.
"I knew we were expected." Said the Captain, stepping forward.
"What are you doing?" I asked, confused by his action.
"You go on ahead; I can more than take her with one wing. Just wait for me on the other side." He said, and got into a fighting stance. Even with the tough demeanor he had you could see how frail he was from his limp wing, and heavy breathing.
"Fine, but if you aren't there in a few minutes I'll-" I started, but he held up his hand to silence me.
"Just go, I'll be fine." He said, not turning his gaze away from her for a second.
"An adorable sentiment, but you won't make it past me 'Captain'. Shallow trusted me with guarding this passage, and I will not fail." She said, stepping forward.
"We shall see..." Were the last words I heard from him as I continued on through the door. As I walked down the unnecessarily long hallway I heard a very weird, very distinct, whooshing sound.
"Oh, no way... I know that sound..." I said, and turned around seeing a very big... very blue... police call box. "That... that's... that's the..." I said weakly. The door opened, and out came a light brown pony with a dark brown mane, and blue eyes. His cutie mark was an hour glass, and he wore a green tie.
"...Hello Doctor." I said, and he turned to me with mouth agape.
"You! You're a human! Here?! You shouldn't be here, but yet here you are! We must have fallen through a gap in the dimensions somewhere." The Doctor said, galloping all around me.
"Doctor? What is it? Don't go running off without me!" Said Derpy, following him out of the call box.
"Ditzy look! It's a human! Here, in Equestria!" Said the Doctor, pointing to me.
"What? A human, what's a... Oh." Said Derpy looking up at me... and off to the side a little.
"Yes, I'm very interesting, but we don't have time to chat. I'm in the middle of saving the world." I said, attempting to hurry things along.
"Oh, right! Back to business! What's all this about saving the world?" He asked, nodding his head.
"Shallow graves, a supercharged being capable of demolishing cities on a whim, is in the throne room with Celestia, and the elements of harmony, and is most likely demolishing them as we speak." I summarized.
"Another uber-powerful super being, eh? Don't get those often, but it's always fun. So let me guess, bent on world domination, thinks he's a god, or want revenge?" Asked the Doctor.
"Revenge, but I'm not sure if that's all..." I said, and he turned to Derpy.
"Well, what better way to take on a vengeful villain, than to take the bull by the horns, and ride on into the china shop?" Said the Doctor walking into the call box.
"Doctor?! Doctor wait! What are you talking about?! What's that supposed to mean?! Doctor!?" Derpy said, and followed him shortly after.
"Relax Ditzy, I'll explain later. Where'd you put the sonic?" The Doctor said from inside the call box... Why do I keep calling it that? I reiterate. The Doctor said from inside the Tardis.
"Doctor... it's in your pocket..." Said Derpy.
"No it's not it's... Oh... yes it is... Right then, where was I?" He continued as I tapped my foot impatiently.
"I don't know, you didn't tell me anything!" Derpy said, and they walked out of the Tardis.
"Doctor, I know time isn't really an issue with you, but it is with me. I need to know what you're doing." I said, my mind begging me to get moving.
"I haven't the slightest idea. I was going to rush in, yell 'Allons-y' and be clever." He said trotting past me.
"Yep... that sounds like the Doctor all right..." I said, hobbling onward down to the next door.
"Ugh... Sorry about this. It's just how he works." Said Derpy, following the Doctor.
"Just trust me!" The Doctor yelled back as he turned down the hall and went up the stairs.
"I feel like I was just used as a background character just for exposition... so this is what that's like..." I thought to myself, as I approached the next door. I pushed the door open, and not a foot away stood a gas-masked horse. Fallout Trance was the last of Shallow's men, but also the creepiest. He stood watching motionlessly. I wouldn't have even known he was real if he didn't tilt his head.
"I take it you're the last line of defense then?" I asked, and he didn't react. I straightened up, and he started walking forward. "Is that a yes?" I asked, and he simply nodded. He walked forward, and as he did I gradually became more, and more dizzy. My vision blurred, and I fell to my knee. "What..? What are you..?" I said, and fell down on my hands.
He reached up to his mask, and suddenly a mind-numbing high pitch screeching filled my head, and I writhed on the ground. I looked up, and everything in my view seemed to be shaking. Not only that, but a blinding light radiated from the eyes of his mask. I cupped my hands over my ears, and I felt blood trickle between my fingers.
"NO!" I heard a voice from behind me yell. I looked behind me to see a blue mare with a scroll for a cutie mark. The same one I saw earlier. "Don't do it Trance!" She cried, tears dripping from her eyes. I looked up to see Trance looking at her.
"What are you doing? You don't have to listen to him any more! You don't owe him anything!" She said walking up to Trance slowly, and he backed away just as slowly. "You don't owe him anymore..." She said, and the light faded from his eyes. She walked closer, as she did the ringing died down from my ears. She came closer as tears streamed gently from her eyes and down her cheek.
She reached up, and unhinged the grips of the mask. Slowly she pulled the mask down off Tance's face, revealing a pair of brilliant green eyes, face as white as a cloud, and a small scar on his brow. He looked as though he were either sad or worried. Trance raised his hoof to brush her tears away, and leaned down to gently nuzzle her cheek. He smiled, which in turn made her smile as well.
She closed her eyes and kissed him. From the look on his face, he obviously didn't expect it, but definitely enjoyed it. You could see a shiver run down her back, and into her tail. The kiss ended, and Trance smiled brightly, which made her giggle. She was about to speak, but suddenly he.started coughing loudly. She quickly lifted the mask back onto his face, and he started to breath normally again. Just then, as I stood up, I caught her attention.
"Go. You have your own battles to fight." Said the mare, and I simply nodded.
"Good luck." I said, and continued forward. As I reached the (supposed) last door; I leaned up against it for a quick breath. I thought this story was about me... A lot of mini stories in this one. Ah well. I open the door, and lurch forward, greeted by a pair of familiar fiery eyes.
"And the final move has been made. Check, and Mate."

Author's Note:

Sorry about the wait, 2 months of writer's block... but thanks to one SuperUnknown I was motivated to finish this chapter.