• Published 30th Mar 2017
  • 2,769 Views, 89 Comments

What Lies Within - Rebellious_Requiem



A group of friends decide to learn the ropes of a popular card game and accidentally infect the cards with powerful magic, causing them to gain a sense of consciousness. Whoops.

  • ...
2
 89
 2,769

A Clash of Egos! Full Speed Ahead! [Part 1]

Rainbow Dash never really thought of herself as a "normal" student.

She wasn't really big on having the best grades or being the smartest girl around, but she did do well enough to keep her parents and the school faculty happy and off her case; wanting to assure she never jeopardized her position in any of the many sports teams she'd affiliated herself with over the years. In terms of athletics, she was anything but normal -- extraordinary, some would say!

Not to mention she'd passed any sense of normalcy right on by when she'd been given magical powers from a parallel universe.

She found herself questioning what "normal" really was, however, when her magical dimension-traveling high schooler friend Sunset Shimmer gathered their group of friends together at lunch time to announce that she'd accidentally mind-probed a trading card with one of the most serious expressions Dash had ever seen on her -- and she was almost tempted to believe her.

Just another Monday at Canterlot High.

"Uh; Sunset?" Applejack shifted uncomfortably in her seat next to Rainbow. "I don't mean to go and sound like I don't believe you or nothin', but are y'sure you're feelin' all right? Been gettin' enough rest? Stayin' hydrated?"

Rainbow Dash could barely suppress a rising giggle fit upon seeing the look of poorly suppressed offense on Sunset's face. "Wh -- I wasn't hallucinating, Applejack! I'm not going insane!"

"I, uh, don't reckon that I said y'were."

"You pretty heavily implied it, though!"

"Well; in Sunset's defense, Applejack," Rarity chimed in from across the cafeteria table. "It's not exactly that strange when you think about all of the things we've been through since the last Fall Formal. Yes; it's a... bizarre tale, but I see no reason to dismiss it as mere fiction or make-believe just yet."

Pinkie Pie hummed in thought. "If everything Sunset's said has been true, I'm surprised Fluttershy wasn't the one who figured it out. Considering her whole shtick was being able to talk to animals and all. I mean -- dragons are basically just big reptiles -- and reptiles are animals, right? Wouldn't it make more sense that she'd have been able to hear it than Sunset?"

A moment passed in dead silence as several sets of eyes shifted sidelong towards Fluttershy; who shrunk back a bit at her newfound place smack dab in the center of attention.

"I, uh... well, I still don't know exactly how my magic works?" responded Fluttershy, toying with the geode hanging around her neck. "There's really any number of reasons I couldn't hear it. The critters back at the camp seemed very friendly and social, so I might not be able to hear it because it doesn't want to talk to me. Or something along those lines. I'm not even sure I would want to hear it if I could. I'm already scared of dragons, and this one -- though it may just be a drawing on a card -- doesn't seem very nice at all."

"I'll say. I'm just glad it didn't have teeth, or it probably would have bitten my hand clean off."

Rarity's face scrunched up in disgust. "Thank you for putting that delightful imagery in my head right in the middle of our meal, Sunset. Very appreciated."

"My bad."

"Blah, blah, severed limbs -- whatever! Where's Onyx even come into things here? Do you think he knows about any of this going down right under his nose?" Rainbow asked.

Sunset grimaced. "He told me he's been hearing weird noises and things, and having strange dreams. If I'm right; then they're probably a result of his dragon trying to communicate with him and failing pretty miserably. He said it's all been happening for quite a while."

Rainbow rested her elbows on the table and frowned. "Let me guess: long enough to have started sometime after the Fall Formal?"

"Basically? He was super vague, but I can only assume."

"So 're we thinkin' this here card o' his managed to soak up some of the Equestrian magic released by Princess Twilight's crown all that time ago? Is that even possible?" Applejack asked, scratching the back of her head beneath her hat.

Twilight scanned through a few other pages full of notes she had previously taken during the group's many magic discussion sessions. "Is it possible that his card became some sort of magical conduit, you mean? I'm not entirely sure -- but it's certainly a possibility. At least it sounds like it could be. Sunset?"

"Unfortunately; I'm not sure either. Right now, though? That's pretty much our best guess. Which makes me feel pretty bad, because in that case this whole thing at least partially my fault," Sunset replied. "I know I was a different person back then and I can't change the past and all of that stuff, but it's frustrating that I can't do anything to try and fix this screw up. Not yet, at least."

"So... what do we do?" Fluttershy asked, again twirling a strand of pink hair around her finger -- if only to have something to do with her hand. "What if Onyx is in danger? What if we're in danger?"

Twilight sighed and dropped her notes on the table. "I don't know if there's anything that we can do. Sunset told me that she didn't get the feeling that there was anything dangerous going on with him and his card, but who knows?"

Applejack looked around the table with a frown. "Well; we could always jus' -- I dunno -- tell Onyx, right?" she suggested with a shrug.

"Tell him? About the magical living trading card-slash-guard dog he has, and how it barked at Sunset when she got too close?" Rainbow scoffed. "I'm sure he'll totally believe us."

"Silly Dashie! It's a guard dragon, not a dog. It doesn't even bark! That'd be wild, huh? A barking dragon?"

"I know what it is, Pinkie! That wasn't the important part of what I was trying to say! My point is: if we try and tell him, he'll probably think we're all nuts -- like any normal person would -- and he won't listen."

Sunset groaned and flopped over on the table. "Rainbow's right. He'll think we're crazy if we go in without some kind of plan. If I wasn't in the middle of this whole thing I'd think we're crazy." She flicked a crumb off of the table and watched it soar away toward an adjacent table. "But at the same time, I totally see where AJ is coming from. For all we know, if he knew what was going on, maybe he'd be able to do something about it himself."

"Well, while he may accuse a bunch of complete strangers of being 'nuts,' perhaps the key is to attempt to earn his trust before we do anything else?" Rarity offered. "He might listen to us if we take the time to get to know and befriend him."

"But aren't we already his friends?" Pinkie asked.

Rarity drummed her fingers on the table. "I believe we're in more of a 'friendly, but not quite friends' situation. We have only known him for two days."

"So all we have to do is hang out with him some more? Sounds easy enough. We already have a reason to. Or -- I do -- at least." Rainbow ducked under the table and retrieved her backpack, shuffling around inside of it. "I have this!" she announced, placing a Duel Disk on the table.

Sunset sat up straight, surprised by Rainbow's new device. "You bought one of those? When?!"

"This morning. I woke up early so I'd have extra time to visit the shop on the way here! Before we left on Sunday, I asked him for some pointers and suggestions and he told me to come back tomorrow -- which, I guess, was today -- so I did just that. Got myself some of my own cards and one of these disk things. It's an older model so it was cheaper than a new one would have been."

"Wow. You got way more into this game than I expected you to."

"It seems cool! Plus, I'm always into finding new things to rock at. Everything works out!"

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Except for the fact you've never been the most... 'receptive' student. At least not in my experience."

"History isn't cool, Twilight! There are no dragons in history class!" Rainbow shot back defensively. "It's not my fault!"

"History is just as interesting as dragons, Rainbow Dash -- if not more!"

"You take that back!"

"You're all very loud today, aren't you, Rainbooms?" a new voice asked from the table over. The group of magical teens turned to see one Trixie Lulamoon -- the self-claimed performer extraordinaire -- eyeing up their group, obviously annoyed. "Trixie can't even hear herself think over your... " She trailed off, her eyes affixing themselves to the Duel Disk and cards Rainbow had left unattended. "You play?"

Rainbow blinked, glancing back and forth between Trixie and her new equipment. "What?"

"Duel Monsters. You play?"

"Er, kind of? I just started yesterday. Picked up my stuff this morning!" Rainbow declared proudly.

Trixie -- who had seemed interested, at first -- faltered. "Oh. Trixie was hoping for a match, but it wouldn't be fair of her to crush an amateur that just picked up her first Deck. Forget Trixie said anything," she said, turning back to her own table to check her phone.

"Whoa, whoa!" Rainbow interjected. "Amateur?! You trying to pick a fight?"

Trixie turned back to Rainbow, an eyebrow quirked. "Not really. Trixie can only assume you've only played a few practice matches, if even. Trixie, on the other hand, has been playing for quite a while. It would be in bad taste to pick on a new player like yourself. Not to mention that it wouldn't be satisfying in the slightest to beat you as you are now."

"Pff! You think you're so tough? We can do this right here and now, if you think you really can beat me!"

Sunset reached over and put her hand on Rainbow's shoulder. "Relax. She's got a point. Experience is a big factor when it comes to strategy games and the like. If she really has been at this for some time, you'll be at a serious disadvantage."

Rainbow grit her teeth, but the tension building in her seemed to dissipate. "I know! She didn't have to say it all like that, though."

Trixie looked over her shoulder, then back to her phone, then back over her shoulder again. She sighed. She muttered something to herself before standing up and facing Rainbow Dash. "Fine. We'll Duel after school lets out today. Something about 'learning by doing,' or whatever. Trixie urges you to remember who challenged who when she beats you!"

Rainbow Dash perked up at this, and as the lunch bell rang, she grinned at her soon-to-be-opponent. "You're on!"


True to her word, Trixie was waiting for Rainbow Dash at the rear side of the main school building after classes had come to an end for the day. She seemed more interested in her mobile device than anything else -- much how she had been earlier in the day -- but she pocketed it upon noticing the Rainbooms approaching her.

"So; you didn't chicken out after all, Rainbow Dash. The Great and Powerful Trixie is ready to teach you everything you need to know about Duel Monsters! If you're ready for her, that is," she said, placing her hands on her hips and smirking smugly at the flustered athlete.

"I'm more than ready, Trixie! You talk a big game; but we're here to play cards, not sling words. Or would you rather call things off before you get trounced by an 'amateur'?" Rainbow retorted as she pulled her Duel Disk and Deck box from her pack.

To Rainbow's surprise, Trixie only laughed. "That's it; nice banter! Trixie's first rule of Dueling: always be ready to put on a show. A good back-and-forth is essential to an exciting match!" she said as she retrieved her own equipment. Her Duel Disk looked newer and more modern than Rainbow's own, but its physical folded blade indicated it wasn't as high-tech as Onyx's -- which produced its own blade of hard light Solid Vision.

"Treating a Duel like a performance... makes sense, given how she's incorporated acting into most of her hobbies as far as I've seen," Twilight observed. "I wonder how it will show in her style of play."

"We're about to find out." Sunset leaned her back against the building and folded her arms together. "Good luck, Dash."

"Go get her, Dashie!" Pinkie cheered, waving around the pom-poms she had nabbed from the school gym on the group's way to the meeting location.

"Show 'er what for, Dash!"

"We all believe in you, darling!"

"Um... h-have fun, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow nodded at her friends and affixed her Duel Disk to her wrist. She took her Deck full of fresh cards and carefully placed the pile of cards into their allotted slot. Once she had done so, a button on the Disk lit up.

Upon pressing the button, the blade un-folded itself and whipped around, forming an edged, curved surface on which she would place her cards. Trixie mirrored her actions from a considerable distance away, but her Disk had seven slots on its surface -- the second and sixth slots denoted by blue markers instead of red.

"Hey, what's up with your Disk? Aren't there only five Monster Zones?"

Trixie frowned. "There were. Those are now the Main Monster Zones. The additional slots on my Disk serve as the Extra Monster Zone. The seventh slot is for the other Extra Zone available for use; but if you are to use one, Trixie will be placing a token card on the corresponding side to show that she can't use it."

"Sounds convoluted."

"It is, a bit. Your Disk is an older model and lacks any Extra Zones at all, correct?"

"Yeah; but you already knew that, right?"

Trixie smiled. "So you understand 'rhetorical questions'. Not exactly something that will assist you in a Duel, but Trixie can appreciate that. Look at your Disk's display screen."

Rainbow Dash did as Trixie said. "'Use Field Spell Zone as E-X Monster Zone?' it says. Which one's that, again?" she asked, looking at the card slots for an indication.

"The one that pops out on the far side. If you don't hit 'Yes,' we'll have some issues. Unless your Deck is reliant on a Field Spell card? It's never too late to back down from a fight you can't win, you know."

"I don't need some Field Spell to play my game! I'll be fine!" Rainbow said as she clicked the "Yes" prompt.

"Then let the game begin." Trixie tapped a button on her own display, and a mechanical voice rang out from both of the players' Duel Disks.

“DUEL DISK: ONLINE;
SINGLE GAME -- ONE ON ONE;
SOLID VISION LINK ESTABLISHED;
DUEL START.”

Rainbow Dash's Duel Disk was now prompting her to enter a "Display Name." She used the touch display to type in "Rainbow," as the character limit would not allow for her full name. A screen popped up showing both Duelists' names, flashing back and forth between the two. After a few moments, it stopped on Trixie's name and a "ding!" sound played.

"Looks like Trixie gets to pick who moves first. Normally; a Duelist will choose to play out their turn first by default if the selection process is kind enough to them, but you are allowed to choose to play second if it benefits you. Trixie will, however; choose to go first. She is second to none, after all!"

The two Duelists picked up their first five cards and Trixie held up three fingers. Getting the message, Rainbow nodded.

As Trixie's final finger folded into her hand, the two combatants locked in their stances, and -- looking intensely into each other's eyes -- they drew their first five cards and let out a resounding call.

"Duel!"

TURN: ONE
TRIXIE -- 4000 LP
HAND: 5

"As Trixie said before, she will be taking the first move!" Trixie declared as she picked a card from her starting hand. "To start: she will be Normal Summoning her Skilled Dark Magician from her hand!"

Skilled Dark Magician
Level 4
DARK Spellcaster/Effect Monster
ATK/1900 DEF/1700
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell resolves (max 3). You can Tribute this card with 3 Spell Counters on it, Special Summon 1 "Dark Magician" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

A tall, heavily-robed man emerged in a haze of data from Trixie's projected Monster Card onto the field. He maintained a stoic demeanor about himself as he calmly held the staff in his hands in front of him -- ready to blast anything in his way, if the need arose. Rainbow Dash found herself slightly unsettled by the fact that she couldn't see the sorcerer's face properly, as his headwear shrouded the top half of his head. His ATK power stood at 1,900; rather impressive for an Effect Monster that required no prior set-up.

"Trixie doesn't want this turn to be so complex it flies right over your newbie head, so she'll keep it simple, just for you! She will now activate her Field Spell, the Secret Village of the Spellcasters!"

Secret Village of the Spellcasters
Field Spell
If you control a Spellcaster-Type monster and your opponent does not, your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards. If you control no Spellcaster-Type monsters, you cannot activate Spell Cards.

The air around the two Duelists blurred and filled with electrostatic pulses as the field around them transformed due to the Solid Vision projectors in their Duel Disks. Several tall trees sprung up around them -- curving around the school building on several points of impact to avoid clipping issues -- natural-looking homes nestled amongst the tranquil grounds and rays of sunlight. As the field settled and the Rainbooms gazed upon their new locale in awe, a crystal clear orb on Skilled Dark Magician's shoulder pad glowed a bright green.

"Whoa..." Rainbow Dash muttered, looking around her. She tried to touch a nearby tree branch, but her hand passed right through it.

"Duel Disks on their own cannot produce Solid Vision advanced enough to take on a true physical form." Trixie walked up to her magician on the field and stuck her hand right through his chest as if to prove a point. Skilled Dark Magician's only reaction was to briefly look down at his pierced chest, before returning to his former stance. "But advanced settings on more recent Duel Fields and arenas allow for full-fledged interaction between monster and Duelist. Trixie finds it quite fascinating, herself."

On the sidelines, Twilight was also sufficiently intrigued by her new surroundings. "The science employed here is incredible, no matter how many times I see it. It's so strange that advanced holographic technology is being used for such a novel purpose."

"Better than using it for anything dangerous." Sunset narrowed her eyes at Trixie's monster, but relented quickly and sighed. "No weird vibes. I was almost hoping I've been wrong this whole time and my mind was just playing tricks on me."

Rainbow Dash shook her head swiftly in an attempt to redirect her focus back to the game at hand. "Okay; I'll admit that this is pretty cool and all, but what does this Field Spell of yours actually do?"

"Trixie is glad you asked, Rainbow Dash! You see; when Trixie controls a Spellcaster-Type monster on her side of the field, and her opponent does not: her opponent cannot activate any Spell Cards! Though if she were to suddenly be deprived of Spellcaster-Type monsters, she would be the one unable to utilize Spells."

"What?! But my Deck is -- "

"Primarily Spells and Monsters?" Trixie interrupted before Rainbow could finish her sentence. "Many powerful ones are, nowadays -- with several Traps, if any at all, thrown in as mere afterthoughts. Which is precisely why Trixie uses this Field!" Trixie laughed proudly and pointed at Rainbow Dash. "Good luck getting around this strategy! Trixie will Set one card on her field and end her turn."

The back side of a Duel Monsters card appeared behind Skilled Dark Magician as Trixie slotted a card into one of the Spell and Trap Zones on her Duel Disk, and the display screens the Duelists and spectators could access marked this as something to remember before the image faded away.

TURN: TWO
RAINBOW -- 4000 LP
HAND: 5

Rainbow Dash drew a card from her Deck as her turn began, bringing her to six total. "Here I go!" she shouted, looking through the selection that lady luck had given her. Well; I can't use this Spell Card as long as she has a Spellcaster-Type monster, so I'll have to rely on my monsters' effects! It's go time! "I'll start by Special Summoning my Speedroid Terrortop from my Hand, which I'm allowed to do because I don't have any monsters on my side of the field yet!"

Speedroid Terrortop
Level 3
WIND Machine/Effect Monster
ATK/1200 DEF/600
If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Speedroid" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Speedroid Terrortop". You can only use this effect of "Speedroid Terrortop" once per turn.

Rainbow's monster was an odd sight. It appeared to be a collection of spinning tops, the "tail" end connected through the segments to the "head" by only a strange, yellowish-orange energy. Its individual parts spun independently as it moved to and fro at its place on the field. In comparison to Trixie's monster, Terrortop had only 1,200 Attack Points -- but its low strength was made up for by a powerful effect.

"Speedroids, eh?" Trixie asked, eyeing up the new machine. "A very you choice, all things considered. Let's see if you know how to properly use them to their full potential!"

"Yeah; let's! I activate my Terrortop's effect! When it's Summoned to the field, I can add one 'Speedroid' monster other than another copy of itself from my Deck to my hand. Using its effect: I'll add Speedroid Taketomborg to my hand! And since I already control a WIND Attribute monster, I can Special Summon my 'borg straight to the field. Come on out!"

Speedroid Taketomborg
Level 3
WIND Machine/Effect Monster
ATK/600 DEF/1200
If you control a WIND monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can Tribute this card, Special Summon 1 "Speedroid" Tuner monster from your Deck, also you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except WIND monsters. You can only Special Summon "Speedroid Taketomborg(s)" once per turn.

The new creature called forth by Rainbow Dash could best be described -- later, in her words -- as "some kind of weird, robotic beetle thing?" Its thin body unfolded as it emerged from its card and it struck a battle-ready stance as it took its place beside Terrortop. It would have likely been more threatening had its offensive power not clocked in at a mere 600 points.

"Hoo-wee!" Applejack exclaimed, admiring Rainbow's monsters. "They ain't exactly the toughest stallions in the stables, but Rainbow managed t'pop out two o' them Speedy-whatchamacallits without even tryin'!"

"And I'm not done yet!" Rainbow called out, pumping her fist. "I'll activate Taketomborg's effect; allowing me to Tribute it to Special Summon a 'Speedroid' Tuner monster from my Deck in its place, at the cost of being unable to Summon any monsters that aren't WIND for the rest of the turn. I Summon Speedroid Red-Eyed Dice!"

Speedroid Red-Eyed Dice
Level 1
WIND Machine/Tuner/Effect Monster
ATK/100 DEF/100
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Speedroid" monster you control, except "Speedroid Red-Eyed Dice", and declare a Level from 1 to 6, it becomes that Level until the end of this turn.

While a giant, cubical die with a great big eye in place of the single dot on one of its surfaces wasn't exactly something you'd see every day, it looked substantially less strange and robotic than the other Speedroid monsters in Rainbow Dash's control. It however, was even weaker than the rest -- standing at only a minuscule 100 Attack Points.

"Er... what's a Tuner, again?" Applejack looked around at the rest of the spectators around her. "I wasn't really payin' all that much attention t'some o' the more... 'complex' lessons Onyx gave us."

Twilight was quick to respond. "From what he told us -- and what I researched online -- they are a special category of monster that can be used in conjunction with other non-Tuner monsters to Special Summon a stronger type of monster from her Extra Deck. You'll see in just a second."

"Now," Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she pointed skyward in an exaggerated motion. "Watch this! I'll first use Red-Eyed Dice's effect! When it's Summoned to the field, I can target one other Speedroid monster I control and change its level to a level I declare from one to six. I'll be raising Terrortop's level to five! And now that I've done that; I can tune my level one die to my level five Terrortop to perform a Synchro Summon!"

Red-Eyed Dice transformed into a bright ball of light and swung itself into orbit around Terrortop -- which itself lost most of its physical form, leaving behind only a wireframe skeleton. The light that was once the die transfigured into a circle which enclosed around the wireframe, and a column of energy burst forth from within. A prompt on Rainbow Dash's Disk asked her whether she wanted to call forth her Extra Deck monster in either the right or left Extra Monster Zone. She chose right, and in response, Trixie placed a blank token card from her Deck box into her own Disk's corresponding leftward Extra Zone.

Rainbow's brow scrunched up in concentration as she tried to remember the last thing Onyx had told her that morning, right after he had given her her Duel supplies. "Er... what was it? Oh, yeah! Sword that slices through your opponents with unmatched swiftness, come forth and be the weapon that seals my victory! Synchro Summon! Appear; Level Six!
Hi-Speedroid Kendama!"

Hi-Speedroid Kendama
Level 6
WIND Machine/Synchro/Effect Monster
ATK/2200 DEF/1600
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. You can only use each of the following effects of "Hi-Speedroid Kendama" once per turn.

  • You can banish 1 Machine-Type monster from your GY, inflict 500 damage to your opponent.
  • If this card is in your GY and you control no cards: You can Special Summon this card. You cannot Normal Summon/Set the turn you activate this effect.

Kendama shot forward from the flash of light. It main body was small and curved, positioned to the left side of the enormous center piece that jutted forward much like a blade. It spun around in a wide arc before settling itself on Rainbow's side of the field. Unlike the Speedroid monsters that came before it, Kendama boasted considerable power: 2,200 Attack Points to be exact -- more than enough to defeat the Skilled Dark Magician.

"Haha, awesome!" Rainbow cheered. "I pulled off a Synchro Summon on the first turn of my first ever full-fledged Duel! How about that, Trixie?"

Trixie seemed unfazed. "Yes, yes; we're all very proud of you. Trixie was hoping you'd at least be competent enough to pull that much off, otherwise her strategy would not have worked. In response to your Synchro Summon, Trixie activates her face-down card! Reveal: Dark Renewal!"

Dark Renewal
Normal Trap
When your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster(s): Target 1 of those monsters and 1 Spellcaster monster you control, send both monsters to the GY, then you can Special Summon 1 DARK Spellcaster monster from your Deck or GY.

Trixie's Set Trap appeared and flipped over on the field, depicting an ornamental coffin of some kind. "Trixie can only activate this Trap when her opponent Summons a monster. By sending the Summoned monster and one Spellcaster-Type monster she controls to the Graveyard, she can Special Summon one DARK Attribute Spellcaster from her Deck or Graveyard!"

Rainbow took a reflexive step back in surprise. "What?!"

Sunset winced on the sidelines. "All of that work just to lose her only monster before she can even use it. Trixie was ready for Rainbow Dash's strategy all along, it seems."

"By using the life energies of both Skilled Dark Magician and Hi-Speedroid Kendama, Trixie can call forth her mightiest monster!" Trixie announced as tendrils of black energy spilled forth from the coffin, pulling both of the monsters from the field into its clutches and shutting forcefully. Her Duel Disk ejected a card from about halfway through her deck, and after she grabbed it, automatically shuffled the stack. "Unmatched magician, descend now upon this Duel and make your dark power known! Though time marches on, you will never falter! Come forth! Dark Magician!"

Dark Magician
Level 7
DARK Spellcaster/Normal Monster
ATK/2500 DEF/2100
The ultimate wizard in terms of attack and defense.

The coffin re-opened and from it gracefully stepped a tall man wrapped from head to toe in black clothes. Both the bodysuit he wore and the robes that billowed forth across his form were detailed with light blue markings, as was the staff he carried in his right hand. The Dark Magician twirled the staff in a wide circle and stabbed the head into the ground beside him, eyeing up Rainbow Dash as his 2,500 Attack Points flared up on a display off to his left side. His expression was initially stoic, but as he took in the girl -- as well as her lack of defenses -- he sighed, apparently dissatisfied by the lack of challenge presented to him.

The monster's reaction stunned Rainbow; but even more so than that, something about just how the mage had moved felt somehow out of place to her. She glanced over to the side, where Sunset Shimmer was in the middle of shooting her a practically identical look of surprise -- which didn't make Rainbow feel any better at all.

"What's the matter, Rainbow Dash? Trixie's monster so great and powerful it took the breath straight from your lungs?" Trixie teased from across the field. "Perhaps you should just end your turn so Trixie can finish this quickly."

That... was definitely weird, Rainbow thought, trying her best to tune out Trixie's words. Sunset felt whatever that was, too. Does that mean...? Her thoughts trailed as she looked back to the field. She would have to worry about that later. First; she would have to end this Duel, and fast! She glanced at her hand and could almost feel the gears spin in her head. "No way! I'm not out of this yet, Trixie!"

Trixie smirked and folded her arms. Dark Magician glanced at her from his battle position and mimicked her stance. "Then by all means, do keep playing. Your inexperience can only excuse so much lost time."

Rainbow grit her teeth and glared at Trixie and her monster, so in sync it was almost uncanny. I'm going to have to kick it into high gear if I want to beat Trixie and her Dark Magician. I won't lose this! Rainbow thought as she nabbed another card from her hand. "I think I will keep playing! Get ready, Trixie -- 'cause here I come!"

TO BE CONTINUED

Author's Note:

'Whoa! It's been like a month since he said he was going to work on this -- it's been forever! I thought he just dropped off the face of the earth or something." - some of you, probably

Yeah; that is, uh, entirely my bad. To make up for being gone so long, this one's longer than the previous chapters by just a little bit! Plus, it's another two-parter. Is that cool? There's probably some suspense there. Though I realize now that I ended it on the same turn as last time. A lot happens in my turns. Lot of talking, anyway.

I'll try to finish up the second half in less than two months. That's as much as I'm going to promise as of right now. Requiem: out!