• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 526 Views, 16 Comments

Fluttershy's Unexpected Journey - JesterOfDestiny



A gateway opens inside Fluttershy's house and flings her to a cliched high-fantasy world. She's forced to walk from one side of this strange new world to the other, encountering many challenges, friends and foes along the way.

  • ...
 16
 526

Chapter 6 - Fluttershy and the Trolls

The sun has risen and cast its orange light over the forest. Now it was clear, that the leaves were blue. Fluttershy had packed useful goods into two saddlebags, including the talisman. She now felt ready to embark on a journey, even if a bit worried.

“Before you go,” Gabahn took a rolled up piece of paper and gave it to Fluttershy. “You’ll need this map. Here is your destination.” He pointed at the bottom of the map. “And don’t forget to stop in one of those Kin-San villages at the Broken Coast. They’ll be happy to help you.”

“Thanks, I’ll remember that.” Said Fluttershy as she put the map inside her bag and stepped outside. She looked back at Gabahn and said.

“Thank you for everything. I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

Gabahn chuckled. “Oh, don’t thank me. I’m just doing my job.”

Fluttershy walked between the trees, stopping to wave at Gabahn for a last time.

“And don’t worry,” Gabahn shouted at the departing Fluttershy. “the birds will start to make sense after a while!”

She has walked between the blue trees. She watched the birds for a while, to try and make sense of what they’re saying. She noticed, that their body-language is much more prominent and some are even capable of changing colours. Perhaps that has a purpose in communication. Maybe the gibberish makes sense, if you pay attention to the colours.

There wasn’t much time to think about that. The bushes started rattling, something was moving very quickly between them. And whatever it was, its laughter echoed throughout the woods. The bushes rattled erratically around Fluttershy. The rattling has surrounded her, until it suddenly stopped and laughed.

“Should we kill it quickly?” One voice echoed.

“No, it clearly understands common language.” Echoed a second one. “We should just talk to it.” It said and laughed.

“It clearly doesn’t understand common sense, listening to the grotesque one.” A third voice echoed.

“Who are you?” Fluttershy cried out, but the answer she got was a maniacal laughter from all three voices.

“We’re your death!” Said all three voices in unison and just as they finished, three baboon looking creatures jumped out from the bushes, going straight for Fluttershy. She yelped in fear. But as suddenly the creatures jumped out, they stopped and burst into laughter.

“Look at it! It thought we were going to eat it!” Said one of them.

“And we will!” Said a second one.

“Well, yeah. But not right now.” Said the first one again.

“Aw, look at it!” Said the third one. “It looks like it’s about to crack under pressure!”

They started crawling towards Fluttershy. “Yes, just like her bones are about to.” Said one of them.

Fluttershy tried to back away, but the grinning creatures got closer and closer. She then accidentally stepped on a dry twig, which broke apart with a loud crack. The creatures stopped for a moment and burst into laughter. Fluttershy looked at the cracked twig and realized she accidentally made a pun. She thought for a moment and turned to the creatures.

“Wow, that... really cracked you up.” She said, attempting a second pun.

The creatures laughed even harder.

“Maybe we should stick to the original plan.” She said after a bit of thinking.

The creatures thrown themselves on the ground. They couldn’t stop laughing after the third pun. Fluttershy tried to take advantage of the incapacitated trolls and started running away. But the laughter slowly stopped and they got up.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going?!” One of them yelled at her.

She turned around and tried to think of a fourth pun. “Uh... well... you know?” She paused and looked at the ground. She spotted a leaf and picked it up. “It’s time... for me to... leaf...”

The baboon-like creatures paused for a moment, processing what she just said and thrown themselves on the ground in laughter. Fluttershy took her chance of escape and bolted off deep into the forest.

“We could stick together,” She shouted back at them, to make sure they will be too busy laughing to follow her. “but I’ve got to branch out a bit more!”

The unstoppable laughter echoed throughout the forest. Fluttershy just galloped until she couldn’t hear them. Finally she was outside the forest and saw a tiny village in a tiny valley. There was a tall clock tower in its middle. She was in great relief to finally see some civilization