• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 500 Views, 2 Comments

Spy Games - FoxMcCloud7921



Agent Sunset Shimmer, part of an organization known only as The Agency, goes head to head with a foreign spy bent on unleashing sleeper cells around the world to ultimately destroy all foreign national powers.

  • ...
 2
 500

Chapter 2

Agency HQ
Canterlot

Sunset made her way inside the building using her keycard which automatically opened the entrance door. She nodded slightly to the guards posted inside and out as she made her way to the elevator, taking it to the seventh floor. As it went up, Sunset leaned against the railing and took out the flash drive she acquired. “All this trouble for a small memory stick,” she thought.

The door then opened and Spitfire waited for her outside. “So how was Manehattan?” she asked as the two of them walked across the long hallway.

“It’s rather nice, kind of crowded though and I’m not sure how I feel about the subway system,” Sunset replied.

“So you got it?”

Sunset casually put the drive in the other girl’s hand. “Pretty important apparently.”

“Very important actually,” Spitfire replied. “We’re talking on an international level.”

Sunset stopped in her tracks and stared at her. “You gonna tell me what’s on it?”

“Wait, H didn’t fill you in?” Spitfire looked genuinely surprised.

“Only that it had important files that the Agency was very interested in,” Spitfire said.

“If you two are done chatting, I’d like to see you both in my office.” H was standing right behind them and neither of them even noticed her approaching.

“Of course,” Sunset said as they both followed the older woman into her office. H motioned for both of them to take a seat before Sunset closed the door.

“First of all, excellent work Agent Shimmer on getting that drive,” H stated. “Mr. Cavallo was taken in by local police not too long ago and of course is being questioned.” She smiled slightly. “He also complained about being assaulted, but apparently the assailant was a male.”

“This coming from the guy who was shooting live rounds in a subway,” Sunset deadpanned.

“Eh, even low-lifes have to protect their image,” Spitfire shrugged. “Least she didn’t shoot him.”

“So are you going to explain just what’s on that drive?” Sunset asked.

“My apologies Agent Shimmer, but it was simply need to know,” H explained. “However, I suppose you’re going to try to find out regardless of what I say so I’ll give it to you straight. This drive contains a large list of sleeper cells, not just in this country but all over the world. Someone went to a lot of trouble of collecting all these names. I think you can now understand the significance of all this.”

“We can find their people, but at the same time we can also see cells that belong to our allies,” Sunset said. “How much information does it give?”

“Just names, but these people can be tracked easily,” H replied. “While having this information puts us at an advantage, our allies may feel uncomfortable about us knowing of their business.”

“And any enemy states would be shitting themselves right now,” Spitfire added.

“Yes, as Agent Spitfire colorfully puts it,” H continued. “But even so, we’re not through. We still need to find the ones who found out this information. We may have this list but it’s very likely we could only have a copy of it.”

“And this is why you called for us?” Sunset asked.

“Actually it’s more you personally,” H replied. “We may already have a potential suspect, but unfortunately she plays hard to get.” She then pulled out a file and handed it to Sunset. Opening it, the first thing she saw was a picture of a woman close to her age. “Her name is Starlight Glimmer. She was born in a small town that was originally part of East Germaney years ago. There isn’t much information on her childhood but when she was eighteen she became an agent for the Information Bureau, part of the now unified Germane government.”

“Information Bureau?” Sunset asked. “I’m assuming that’s the Germane equivalent to the Agency?”

“Yes and no. The Bureau handles mostly domestic affairs. Anyway, she was very skilled and rose up the ranks quickly, even at one point asked to be a bodyguard for the Chancellor himself. But about two years ago, she went off the grid completely and hasn’t been seen until now.”

“And you think she’s dug up information on all international governments?” Spitfire asked.

“It’s much more than that,” H said. She then showed them a newspaper article from a few weeks ago. “About a year ago, there have been a large number of disappearances occurring in Germaney and around her borders. Just from this past year, the number has gone up to fifteen thousand.”

“And no one has any idea where they went?” Sunset asked, having a hard time believing that.

“No…and about two weeks ago, a woman who claims she had been kidnapped appeared and went straight to the authorities. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to get very much information from the woman, but she did say she was in some sort of facility in eastern Germaney. However, this story does not end well…

“A week after the woman was found and returned home, there was a report that the woman committed suicide. She had a loving husband and three kids and despite all this, she felt the need to end her life.”

“Well, the entire experience must’ve been traumatic for her,” Spitfire guessed. “But I can see you’re not quite convinced ma’am.”

“No I’m not,” H replied. “There is no doubt she committed suicide, as her family was present when it happened. However, the family said they saw no signs of depression or PTSD. She was relieved to be back with her family and one day it all changes and she kills herself?”

“Let me make sure I have all this right,” Sunset said. “You’re saying this Starlight Glimmer is connected to the kidnappings?”

“Yes. While it may not be on file, there have been reports that Miss Glimmer was recruited at a very young by the EGCP.”

“The East Germane Communist Party?” Spitfire asked.

“Yes, they were the main entity of the East Germane government right up to the fall of the wall,” H said, leaning back in her chair. “They’ve had a long history of taking in children and recruiting them as their very own agents. First, at a young age, they could blend in and rat out any traitors to their superiors, because adults always take children for granted. Once they get older, that is when they learn to fight. I believe Starlight Glimmer is no exception to this. This is why you were chosen for this mission Agent Shimmer?”

“If I may ask ma’am, was it you personally that chose me?” Sunset asked.

“Actually, it was Spitfire here who recommended you,” H said, looking over at her. “Although, she hasn’t quite explained her reasoning.”

Spitfire suddenly looked uncomfortable. “Well…considering you’ll have to eventually interact with her, she may feel more at ease with someone close to her age.”

“And…?” H didn’t feel as if that was the whole story.

“And…well…the thing is with Glimmer she’s…um…”

“Agent Spitfire, will you please do as your name says and spit it out?” H snapped.

“She’s a lesbian.”

It was quiet in the office for a few moments. “I beg your pardon?” H asked.

“She’s a lesbian…I think,” Spitfire replied. “I mean, she could be bi but most of the time she’s hanging around with other women.”

“And what exactly are you getting at?” Sunset glared at her.

“Well I didn’t want to bring it up Sunset but…well like you’ve told me you tend to swing both ways yourself.”

Sunset could feel her face heating up and right now she felt like she was going to melt into a puddle. “Thanks Spits, thanks a lot for telling the Director of the Agency about my sexuality.”

H cleared her throat. “Glimmer’s sexuality aside, Spitfire does have good points for recommending you. You may be our newest agent but you’ve tackled over a dozen missions within the last eighteen months with relative ease if I may say so.”

“That was small stuff,” Sunset said. “This is clearly much bigger.”

“Exactly, an appropriate test to see if you’re all that the Agency needs,” H said. “Of course, if you feel you’re not ready I can completely understand.”

Like hell she was going to turn down an opportunity like this. “No ma’am, I feel as if I’m quite ready for this. A test as you say.”

H nodded. “Very well. Then we’ll get started right away. I’ll give Miss Pommel a call right away and inform her that you’re coming to meet her. She has a few things to give you for your trip. Afterwards, I’ll fill you in more on your current objective.”

“I won’t let you down ma’am,” Sunset said getting up and heading towards the door.

“Oh, and one more thing…”

“Yes?” Sunset turned around.

“Do make sure to brush up on your Germane.”


Coco Pommel was about three quarters of Sunset’s height but she was still able to get around rather quickly. “Germaney is a wonderful place, no matter where you go,” she gushed slightly as Sunset followed her to the lab. “It’s been a long time since I last visited there.”

“You were born there, right?” Sunset asked.

“Oh yes, southwest Germaney,” Coco sighed pleasantly. “The area is truly beautiful.” Once they were inside, Coco got back to business. “Aside from your dictionary and passport, you’re going to need a few things. First is of course is transportation.”

Coco pressed a button, causing one of the small garage doors to open up. “I’d like to introduce the Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupe." The car was, as she said, a mix between SUV and sedan and a stylish metallic gray.

“I can almost hear you squealing,” Sunset commented.

“Well, I do admit I was able to take it for a test drive,” Coco said, a slight grin on her face. “Needless to say, it’s a really nice ride for both the city and the countryside. Plus, considering it is a Germane manufacturer you won’t stand out as much.”

“So does it have a flamethrower?”

“Huh?”

“Or little miniguns that come out of the side?”

Coco giggled. “Agent Shimmer, I think you’ve been watching too many spy movies. Weapons we’ll get to next of course. The car will be dropped off to you after you land. Continuing on…”

They then moved to a shooting range where a single handgun was sitting. “Some of my colleagues had fun with this one,” Coco said. “Standard Walther PPK. It looks ordinary but…”

“But…?” Sunset urged her.

Coco smiled. “The iron sights have been filed down for a more precise shot; the top of the gun has been fitted for an optional scope, if you’re into that kind of thing. The grip has been modified to your liking and…well go ahead and pick it up.”

Sunset did so and the small lights on the back of the gun went green. “The grip has a handprint detector built in and as such, it will only fire if you’re holding it,” Coco explained.

“You do realize if I said no to this mission, and I had the option, you would’ve wasted a lot of resources into this?” Sunset asked.

“…Well I’m quite certain you were going to say yes anyway,” Coco said. “…Right? Well come on now, why don’t you try it out for yourself?” Sunset then slid the magazine into the gun and quickly aimed before firing all her rounds at a fast clip. Her shots struck at the center of the target. Seeing the impressed look on her face, Coco added, “We were also able to dampen the recoil, giving you a more accurate shot, even when firing at a fast pace. I know, you’re speechless, aren’t you?”

Sunset smiled. She had met Coco about eighteen months ago and back then, Coco was much shyer around others. H had recruited her due to her skills in technology, which at the time was a side hobby of hers, her main being fashion design. Somehow, H was able to use both of Coco’s talents to the Agency’s advantage.

Despite her shy nature, she became quick friends with Sunset and as time went on, Coco started to come out of her shell. And here she was, head of her department now. “One last thing,” she said as the two went back to the lab. She then brought out what appeared to be a watch and put it on Sunset’s wrist. “Sure, it looks like a regular watch, but if you twist the face ninety degrees, small needles on the back of the watch will enter your wrist and deliver an antidote that will negate any poison that happens to enter your body.”

“Any poison?” Sunset looked skeptical.

“Oh yes, we tested with all sorts of different poisons. It took a while to perfect the formula but I can say with pure confidence if for any reason you’re poisoned you’ll be glad to have this. After all, poisoning is the most efficient way of killing someone.”

“So…what else does it do?”

“Well it tells the time obviously…”

“Right…I’m not even going to bother asking how many people actually tested this product.”

“Oh come on it wasn’t that bad, testing only took place when we knew for certain it would eradicate any toxins.” She then coughed slightly. “Well, that should about do it. I don’t know about you but I think this little trip ought to be fun.”

“Wait…you’re coming with me?” Sunset asked.

“Of course! You’re going to need a guide after all,” Coco beamed. “Besides, it’s not like I’m going to be with you twenty-four seven. I’ll leave the dirty work for you. Actually, the other reason is…well…”

“Well?”

“As a fashion designer, I have to make sure you blend in with the culture. No offense but without me, you’ll stick out like a sore thumb.”

“Fair point,” Sunset considered. “Well, it’s going to be a long trip anyway so I could use the company.”

Coco giggled. “Well, as they always say in the fatherland, Auf gehts!

Author's Note:

For the record, Germane is said the same way as "German."