• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 4,458 Views, 131 Comments

The First Battle of Equestria - Spyderslicer



The question answered, 'why does Celestia hate humans?' one word; invasion.

  • ...
13
 131
 4,458

Chapter 5. Bombs, Shells and Prayers

Apologies for being a bit late with this chapter. The past three days, the heat has been brutal in my home. I would need both my hands and both feet to count how many times my graphics card has overheated. But now it has cooled down I could finish the chapter. I would give you guys another date for the next chapter, but with how the weathers has been and another full three days work coming up I can’t say. I don’t want to say ‘next Wednesday’ and not be able to meet it because another several days of heat pop up. I’m rambling at this point, read on my ponies!

Blue Blade was talking with what appeared as the dismembered head of Celestia. A closer look reveals it to be a smoky form of Celestia’s head and shoulders.

“We’ve been here a while princess. We’ve seen neither hide nor hair of these so called ‘humans’,” Blue Blade said as he quickly stifled a yawn.

“I’ve received reports of the ‘humans’ massing around Detrot. I can’t figure out why they are doing this. But we need to stop it.”

“Yes your majesty,” he said with a nod.

“Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary? Anything at all?” she asked curiously.

“Well now that you mention it…”



The operation went off like clockwork. At 7:59 a familiar scene played out. A series of beeps were being listened to at dozens of batteries.

“Code confirmed. We are to begin firing,” the vox operator called out.

“Open fire!” he bellowed.

One hundred and eighty-one pieces of artillery fired in unison.



Unknown to what was happening a mile away, stallions were still trying to wake themselves. A red unicorn just emerged from a dugout. He had a towel over his neck, a tooth brush in his mouth and a small cup hovering next to him. He stifled a yawn as he stepped up onto a platform. He spat the blob of toothpaste onto the grass and gargled from the cup he held aloft with magic. He was just about to spit the water when he heard a whistling noise and saw some strange objects. He didn’t have time to process what it was before he disappeared in an explosion. Most of the shells flew right over the trenches as they were aimed at the city.

“Ponies stay down!” Blue Blade bellowed throughout the dugout.

“What is happening Blue blade!?” Celestia asked worriedly.

“I think we’re under attack,” he stammered.

Celestia was going to begin before Blue Blade cut the connection.

“Tall Spark!” Blue Blade bellowed.

“Yes sir!” Spark called back.

“Run down the line and grab more stallions. We need to get the workers to the basements. You heard about what happened to ponies inside structures above ground!”

Tall Spark needed no more motivation than that.

Blue blade galloped up the ramp into the morning light. Looking up he could see the shell flying overhead and smashing into structures. Fire and debris rained into the streets. Blue Blade gathered a dozen stallions from the next shelter and they hurried into the city. They had a way to go as they had to gallop to the furthest reaches of the city. Using magic infused into his throat Blue Blade began shouting.

“All civilians are to move with due haste to your nearest designated shelter!” The unicorns shouted.

They were dodging falling debris and moving under anything they could so they weren’t directly in the open. They were lucky they thought to move the civilians deeper. The outermost sections were taking a beating

.

Most of the stallions in Detrot had been pulled out to serve Equestria in its rapidly growing militia. But tens of thousands of stallions had stayed and had begun shuffling towards the nearest shelter. When a buildings top exploded in fire and large chunks of debris began to rain down did they truly begin to move. A dozen stallions were crushed under a giant chunk of concrete. Panic set in and it turned quickly from an organized march to a swirling melee of who could get to safety the fastest. Stallions were knocked to the ground and trampled by their neighbors. It took time to get everypony to safety. But after several hours they were fairly certain they had everyone sheltered. The basements were chalk full of supplies. Stallions had been assigned to every shelter to ensure stability.

Even the royal guards that had trained their entire lives were frightened like little foals. Blue Blade had managed to make it to the shelter of the trench line. The stallions and mares were shaking in terror as the shells exploded outside. Clumps of dirt fell from the ceiling. They might be fairly deep underground but they could hear the explosions quite clearly.

“Sir what’s going on?” one of his stallions asked.

“We’re under a ‘siege’ I think Celestia called it,” Blue recalled.

“What the buck is a siege?” one pony swore.

“Doesn’t sound too pleasant,” somepony piped up.

“It’s when a bunch of ponies attack a place, usually surrounding it. They throw bombs at it and then they take it over,”

“That really doesn’t sound good sir,” Spark said shuddering.

“It’s not. We’re here to stop them from getting to Canterlot.”

Several ponies nodded.

“But how many of those… those… ‘Humans’ or whatever in Celestia’s name they’re called, are there?”

“I don’t rightfully know. But you heard the princess. We’re fighting for her, Equestria and more importantly our families. I ask you, do you want really to let these things reach our foals?”

Everypony in the shelter shook their heads.

“That’s why we’re here,” Blue said sagely.


As the first week of the siege was to move slowly for the ponies, it went like a breeze for the men of Krieg. The hundreds of thousands of men had begun a trench line of their own a simple quarter of a kilometer from the equine line. The large Atlas’ made making trenches simple. The hydraulic lifters had begun digging into the soft earth, quickly creating deep trenches. It was left to the guardsmen to flesh them out.

As the foot sloggers dug, the men in the artillery companies were working just as hard. As the barrels of their guns turned red from heat they needed to be switched. They had been trained so it was like a science. Pieces of the guns had to be replaced as they were worn down from the constant use. Lucky that The Emperor protects, He ensured they were supplied with all the necessary materials needed to wage war.



Blue Blade was talking with Celestia again.

“Your majesty, the ‘humans’ are bombing us!” Blue Blade had to shout to be heard over the constant explosions.

“I’m aware of that; soon Pegasi shall be lifting off to try to cripple our foe. They will be leaving on the morrow,” Celestia said firmly.

“I understand your majesty. I just fear for what is to come. We can rarely leave our shelters. These creatures keep dropping those bombs every few seconds. I’m not sure how they’re doing it. They don’t have anything flying over us,” Blue said confused.

“I’m not exactly sure how they are doing it either my little pony. They have some kind of pipe that lobs them,” she said as happily as she could given the circumstances, “I apologize Blue Blade, I must go and make sure the Pegasi are prepped for takeoff.”

“Yes your majesty,” Blue said as the image of Celestia winked out of existence.

“Sir!” Tall Spark hollered above the explosions.

“Yes Spark?” The Blue unicorn called back.

“Care to join us now?” Spark said referring to the card game that was going on again.

“I already… You know what? Sure, I’ll join in next hoof,” Blue said sitting on a crate.



“Come on, put your backs into it. We need to get our trench dug faster than third platoon!” Guardsman 1647-3026-0125-9258 called to his squad. They had a bet with third platoon; three days worth of ration bars to whichever platoon could dig their trenches the fastest.

It was hard to tell, fresh earth was being thrown constantly. Boards were being laid down along the 6 foot deep trenches. Dugouts were already underway. Whoever could dig their platoon trench along with the eight dugouts would win.

Every so often a guardsman would stop for a moment to look out over the short stretch of no-man’s land. They each felt a burning hatred for the xeno filth. They were stain in His vision. To think that even the filthy Tau would attempt such a thing disgusted them.

Already pamphlets were being handed out. It was a list of proven fact from dedicated Imperial scientists. The equines had horrible eyesight, barely able to see past fifteen feet. They were cowards frightened by loud noises and bright lights. It was advised to shine lights on them and shout while putting them out of their misery. As they are not predators fighting is not in their nature, when the battle begins they should flee, if they are intelligent enough to know how. They had a number of unstable psykers in their midst, they were horned equines that are prone to spontaneous combustion if the buildup of warp energy is too great. The winged equines have short stubby wings barely able to lift them off the ground; they could barely reach speeds of fifteen kilometers an hour and if they go much faster their wings are known to seize up causing them to plummet to their death.

A chunk of the guardsmen chuckled at it, of course they held on to it, to just throw away something like that might be grounds for execution. Some took it to heart memorizing all the weaknesses of their enemies. Studying the diagrams provided showing weak spots.

As over ten thousand Pegasi took off the siege was well underway. Blue Blade made sure to send word down the line. Nopony was to leave the dugouts. It would be suicide to leave the protection of the underground shelters.

The time ticked by slowly, games only kept their spirits up for so long. They might have enough supplies to last a month, maybe two. But they were quickly getting cabin fever.

“Read em and weep,” a unicorn said with a smile, “royal flush.”

“Celestia’s teats,” Spark muttered.

“I’m done for now, I’m going to get some sleep,” Blue said standing and stretching.

Before he could get to his cot he felt a magical tingle. Celestia was contacting him.

“Hello Blue Blade, how are your stallions holding out?” She asked curiously.

“Well your majesty, it has only been a few days. There are always loud bangs from the bombs. But we’ll make do with what we have been given.”

“That is good to hear Blue. I am contacting to let you know that the Pegasi just lifted off. They should be reaching the humans in around four and a half days,” Celestia said with a hint of sorrow.

“Your majesty, we will crush those who would attempt to hurt our families. We will stop them here,” he said beaming.

Celestia’s heart strings ached. It tore her heart out that they truly believed anything possible. Most things are possible, this wasn’t one of them. She knew she had doomed them the moment the order formed in her head. The royal alicorn put on her best smile.

“Yes Blue Blade, we shall stop them in their tracks, they shall regret what they have done to our ponies,” she said her smile almost wavered.

“Your majesty, I need to get some rest, will you excuse me?” Blue Blade asked.

“Yes, you may soldier,” Celestia said severing the spell.

She took a deep breath. I can’t believe I lied to him like that, she said as a tear streaked down her face and landed with a tiny plink to the floor. No matter how many times she had to send ponies to die it never got easier. A wise Draconequus once told her that she was no longer fit to be ruler if it ever stopped hurting to send ponies into danger.

She took another deep breath before she got back to business. She had already ordered all the factory equipment be moved from Stalliongrad to Manehattan. It was taking forever to move everything by cart. She wished they had a better mode of transportation. But with no rivers they couldn’t use boats. Something would need to be figured out. The royal alicorn was still a bit perturbed by the news that had recently reached her royal ears. The griffins had refused to lend air, the large birds were probably hoping both Equestria and these humans would wear each other down then they would try to grab as much territory as possible. She had to find a way to draw them into the fight, the griffins had always had a firm military. With them they might just turn the tide yet. But onto more pressing matters.

She had also recently teleported to both Haliflanks and Derbyshire. Everypony was evacuated. She knew that with empty cities that the creatures wouldn’t stop to, she shuddered at the thought of the human teenager, who has said it was ‘cleansing’. They would get to Canterlot quicker, but she refused to use more ponies as bait to slow her opponents. Slowing them at Detrot had already stooped her to Nightmare Moons level. She had willingly sacrificed a hundred thousand ponies to attempt to outflank Celestia’s forces during the final months of the Nightmare wars.

Celestia thought back to the human, he had seemed very fanatical, almost like the slaves of Nightmare Moon. They would need to get more humans to find more about this ‘Emperor’ she was curious as to why he was glorified.


The week ticked by, for the artillery crews it had been a countless number of shells lobbed at Detrot. For the grim quartermasters it had been exactly fifty-eight thousand one-hundred and fifty-one. Two. Three. Servitors stood at attention counting every shell loaded and fired. Those numbers were turned into data sent to the quartermaster’s data slates. As servitors watched the shells be loaded and fired, other servitors constantly moved shells from the stockpiles to the piles of shells to be fired. Other servitors moved the used casing out of the way. It was a constant cycle they were destined to repeat until they were ordered to stop by the Enginseer in charge of them.

As the end of the first week came to a close familiar giant storm clouds were spotted. Low rez images from the ship Screams of Retribution could barely spot the Pegasi hiding in the gray carpet. The Scream of Retribution had entered the atmosphere for a purpose.

The Pegasi moved the storm clouds as quickly as possible. As they neared the fighting they gave the clouds a last big push before slowing down. They let the clouds drift for a while before it was time. But their trick wouldn’t work a second time. For as soon as the clouds were spotted servitors began moving large amounts of autocannon ammo to the hydra platforms. As soon as the clouds were within range the gunners opened fire. The massive fist sized rounds began tearing through the clouds. The front ponies were torn to pieces.

Heads exploded and limbs were torn off. Panic quickly set in, the wing leaders quickly reigned in their teams. The survivors from the first attack had given them what information they could. The ponies dove in droves towards the batteries. The infantry had quickly entered their dugouts the second the clouds were spotted. The artillery was ordered to keep firing. The hydras were told to focus fire on the ones diving. That was easier said than done. Hundreds of casings were being thrown to the sides. Servitors quickly reloaded the autocannons when they ran dry.

Guardsman 5024-5193-0859-4991 watched through his vision slit as a heavy mortar exploded in fire. His effort doubled. Spotting a small cluster of a dozen equines gathering to strike at a thudd gun, he turned his turret and pulled the trigger. Hundreds of rounds filled the air. The equines were torn to ribbons. Wings disappeared, legs were removed and giant chunks of flesh disappeared in red mist. Quickly swiveling to fire at another group of equines making a dive at another heavy mortar, more shell casings flew off to the side. The heavy mortar protected the guardsman moved onto other targets. He would purge the filthy beasts from His sight.


At battery sixteen Guardsman 6201-4929-6931-0163 was reciting a prayer as he was loading the thudd gun.

Machine Spirit, accept my gift,

Swallow the light, and spit out death.

He looked up and saw a bomb whistling down, running would be futile.

Mighty Emperor, spread Your divine light to protect me from the darkness

He heard a small thud, slowly he opened his eyes. He wasn’t dead, he was very much alive. The piece of ordnance had landed next to the stock pile of shells. It was a dud.

“You there, grab that bomb and get it out of here,” guardsman 0119-1483-1952-1825 said as he pointed to another guardsman.

“Fire!” Another guardsman shouted.

The gun went off, once, twice, thrice and four times.

Spirits in the Machine,

Reward my faith,

And smash the target.

As guardsman 6130-1863-1934-1952 unloaded the gun a prayer was recited.

Machine spirit, forgive my actions

Soon you shall be whole again.

After twelve hours of constant bombs dropping it was over. A dozen guns had been destroyed, five thudd guns and seven heavy mortars. The camo nets had been set up. But the sheer number of bombs dropped had scored some lucky hits. The Imperial trench line was in ruin. Some flight leaders had led their teams bravely. Others were content to stay above the clouds and drop their payloads.

The rain had once again begun falling on the men of Krieg. Leaving their dugouts they began working. The ground had become a brown soup, that didn’t stop them from working. The men of the 501st infantry regiment, 400th company, sixth platoon, had won the bet. Their trench had been nearing completion before the bombs dropped. Third platoons trench was now a series of craters. The men begrudgingly gave over the ration bars. They would have to spread their rations a bit thinner now.

The men of third platoon now looked across the line with even more hatred. In just over a week they would walk across the small stretch of land and begin slaughtering the colorful equines. As men on the ground watched with hatred across no-man’s land, a large amount of Marauder bombers and Vultures were being prepped for launch. No enemy of the Imperium was safe from His gaze. Man, women, child even the old would find out eventually.

I hope you guys enjoyed it. I really like the Imperial prayers (which are all courtesy of the Imperial Infantrymen’s Uplifting Primer) I’ll probably go back and throw in more prayers in previous chapters. One thing I really like is the religious aspect of the Imperium. It really helps the fanaticism to have prayers for every single bucking thing. I’m starting to ramble on guys and gals, hope you all have a great night, day?

Where ever you are, have a good one.

Hunter C. Creed