• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 4,458 Views, 131 Comments

The First Battle of Equestria - Spyderslicer



The question answered, 'why does Celestia hate humans?' one word; invasion.

  • ...
13
 131
 4,458

Chapter 2. Mobilizing for war

Without further ado, I present chapter two.

Celestia just listened to the horrific reports coming in. Several months ago something had been noticed falling from the sky. It had been shrugged off as comets or asteroids. Not an uncommon thing to see. But after the tragedy of Mareville it was obvious there was something at work. There hadn’t been a senseless slaughter of pony life in over two hundred years since the war with Nightmare Moon.

There had been no warning, no mercy, just death. Celestia didn’t want to rush into something without proper reports. Her country hadn’t been in a true war for over two-hundred years. Of course they still had weapons of war, but did she really want to mobilize her entire land for war? She had thought the Nightmare wars would be the last time Equestria would see war, obviously she was wrong. Her advisers stood at the base of her throne.

“Your majesty what can we do to counter this threat?”

“What even is this threat? Is it the griffins?”

“No the griffins have kept a non-aggression pact with us for over fifty years. That and that whole ordeal was too precise and destructive for griffins. Not to mention the fire.”

“Dragons?” one of them suggested.

Several shuddered at the thought of one or more of the giant beasts terrifying the land.

“No whatever it was is a foul creature, when a group of Pegasi investigated Mareville, no survivors. Something kept ponies from fleeing. If it was a dragon it would have wanted all the treasure of the town. All of the town’s bits and treasures were found among the wreckage by a team of Pegasi. That and a dragon wouldn’t have tried to keep everyone in town while it destroyed it. It wouldn’t even have a way to do so.”

“Well it wasn’t ghosts,” one of them said angrily “something had to have done this.”

There was definite agreement between the four advisers.

Celestia could just shake her head. This was a disgusting show of force. Not even the foul Nightmare Moon had attacked a town for the sole purpose of killing everypony. It was hard to get reliable reports on whatever was responsible for this tragedy.

Most Pegasi that got to close didn’t come back. The few that survived talked about the red lights and the sting as they fell, they were barely able to fly back to report dark cloaked creatures that stood on two legs. There were some creatures native to Equestria that stood on two legs. None of them had the numbers or equipment described. The enemy was described as a sea of life and metal. They had metal behemoths that coughed up smoke to the heavens. This sounded like nothing Celestia had ever heard of. With a wave of her hoof she sent away her advisers.

Stepping out onto a balcony and looking out countless miles away she knew they were out there. She could feel they were coming, when they would arrive she wasn’t sure. Looking out at the massive city of Canterlot, hundreds of massive structures and thousands of smaller structures rose up from the ground to form the massive city. It was the largest city in Equestria, dwarfing even Stalliongrad.

Suddenly a pit formed in her stomach. Stalliongrad stood between the incoming enemy and Canterlot. She hated the thought of what needed to be done. Walking through the throne room and traveling through the winding corridors of her palace. She came upon the familiar site of a massive hallway of columns and beautiful stained glass windows.

She came upon a massive doorway, the image of a sun with a single hole for one royal horn. Carefully sticking her horn in hole at the center of the image of the sun and pouring in a little bit of magic. Pulling away as the blue light spread out and the doors opened, revealing a massive stairway underground. Carefully stepping down deep into the darkness, using magic to light that barely lit a small portion of the massive room, what was revealed were weapons of war, countless numbers of projectile based weapons that are mounted on the back of a pony. The weapons she thought would never see the light of her sky again. She gathered her advisers back into her throne room.

“My little ponies, war is upon us,” was all Celestia needed to say.

“War? There hasn’t been a true war in centuries your majesty.”

“We are not here to discuss when the last war was, I have called you four back here because messages need to be sent out. Scribe!” Celestia called out.

A unicorn with parchment, quills and ink rushed into the throne room.

“Yes your majesty? He asked eagerly.

“Take note,” she began, “every town in Equestria needs to give a tithe of ponies to the upcoming conflicts. Each town shall give forth seventy-five percent of their stallions and five percent of their mares towards the upcoming fight for Equestria. The ponies are to head to Canterlot immediately,” Celestia said, “New note. All doctors and medical ponynel, along with half the royal guard are to head to the palace courtyard.

“New note. All foals from every city from Stalliongrad and its surrounding area are to be evacuated to Manehattan. New note. Every shovel and piece of digging equipment from Stalliongrad is to be gathered outside of Stalliongrad by noon the day after next, I want every able bodied stallion out there with the equipment, I will instruct them in pony. That is all for now scribe, send those messages through proper channels and await further instructions.”

“Yes your majesty,” he said as he scurried off.

Her advisers looked at her in shock. They had never heard of conscription. Celestia had been forced to do the same thing over two centuries previous. She knew she would probably regret such a decision by the time this conflict was over.

“Your majesty?” one of them asked.

“Yes?”

“Did you need to do that? Can’t we just send a diplomat?” he asked exasperated.

“I apologize my little pony. Whatever we are facing is not something we can talk with. Look what happened to Mareville. We weren’t given warning or even a reason. These creatures will need to be removed, with force as is necessary.”

“But what will force get us?”

“It will give us peace my little pony, it will not be pretty, but it is the only way,” she said with a sigh.

The war was no longer one sided. Both sides were preparing for the conflicts ahead. Already the royal guards were moving towards the palace courtyard. Celestia sent her advisers to oversee some of the tasks.

Celestia met with the royal guards to inform them of their new duties. Each unicorn, earth pony and Pegasus was only wearing a suit of golden armor. That would not do.

“You ponies have been assembled because you know how to fight to protect your princess. I am here to inform you that you are to be training the masses of stallions that are coming from all across Equestria.”

A few of the guards snickered at what they assumed was a bad joke.

“You are the best we have to offer, you are to follow me to get yourselves suited up. You need to learn how to use the tools you will be using in the upcoming battle for Equestria.”

The knowledge that it wasn’t a joke sobered the ponies up. Standing at attention they followed Celestia through the corridors until they came to the hallway of columns. They had all seen the hallway but had no idea what was down the staircase. Their eyes widened as the room lit up. The only weapon that had ever seen was the decorative spears they had when either on parade or standing guard at the door to the throne room.

“What are these contraptions princess?” one asked obviously shocked.

The devices appeared reminiscent of a saddle bag. But instead of small saddle bags on the sides, it had large metal boxes with odd pieces sticking out.

“These are a design that is several centuries old. The piece on the left is called an ‘autogun’ the piece on the right is a ‘rocket projector’ both are deadly weapons from an age of strife.”

“How do they work?” an earth pony asked.

“It’s worn on your back exactly like a saddlebag. You earth ponies will feel a bit of a pin prick. It’s perfectly normal; it’s just linking to you. For you earth ponies you aim and fire it by thinking about the weapon moving and firing. For unicorns your weapons are controlled through a trigger activated through magic. For the Pegasi we have a different weapon for you,” Celestia continued walking them through how to use the weapons.

The Pegasi were given a different device that looked like a saddlebag but with a piece on the underbelly that resembled a leg iron wrapped around a cylinder. It was known as a bomb holder. They were told to understand how each weapon worked as they were going to be explaining it to a countless amount of ponies over the coming weeks. Along with how to fight, the days ahead would be horrific for Celestia, having to relive an age she thought long gone.

She then headed off to meet up with the medical ponynel to tell them about their duties to Equestria. Little did they know that their enemy was already mobilized and heading towards another area for cleansing; Tramplevania. Celestia had no idea why these creatures were doing this to her subjects. But she was determined to stop it.

And that is another chapter taken care of. Now we get back to the action. The next chapter will be rather graphic people. So if you don’t like the thought of having death described in detail (worse than the first chapter that is a guarantee to you) then you should probably leave. To those of you with strong hearts and mind, I will have more for you soon enough.