• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 1,898 Views, 21 Comments

Friendly Skies - Liquidfirest0rm



During a fierce storm, two pilots are accidentally pulled into Equestria

  • ...
7
 21
 1,898

Chapter 5

As they made their way through town, the group got a lot of stares. Most of the stares could be assumed to be towards the two strange creatures being carried by Twilight and Big Mac. Twilight saw that several ponies began to huddle into groups, murmuring amongst each other.

She knew they would most likely have questions and decided that something would need to be done to ensure that everyone’s questions could be answered. She pushed these thoughts to the back of her mind as she saw the clinic drawing closer.

A few minutes later, they burst through the doors of the clinic. Nurse Redheart was standing there with Rainbow Dash, patiently awaiting their arrival. She had already brought out two gurneys and had informed the doctors of the incoming patients. Her eyes went wide as the creatures came into view, taking special note of the one that the blood covering most of its chest. She assisted Twilight and Big Mac in getting them onto the gurneys, and called for another nurse to assist her in pushing them to the OR.

Upon their arrival, the doctors immediately got to work on the one that was covered in blood. They started with a simple medical scan to find the extent of the injuries, and to make sure that there wouldn’t be any adverse reactions to the healing spells.

Once they were sure there wouldn’t be any issues, they began by carefully removing the clothing that covered the upper body of the creature, taking care not to open the wounds any further. Once they had finished that, they cleaned up the wound, as well as the area around it. They finished by stitching the wounds closed and casting a healing spell on them to promote healing. While magic couldn’t up and cure injuries in the blink of an eye, it could drastically cut down on the amount of recovery time needed by speeding up the body’s natural healing abilities. Thus, allowing a broken bone to be fully healed in only a week’s time; lesser injuries taking less time. When they finished their work, they had the nurse start an I.V. to start getting fluids back into the creature after having lost so much blood.

They moved on to the less injured one next. Finding that most of its injuries were broken bones and bruising, they cast a spell to aid in bone mending. They wrapped up the injuries and did another scan of both to ensure that nothing had been missed. When they were sure that their work had been completed successfully, they told the nurses that they could be moved to start their recovery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ponyville Clinic Lobby
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight and her friends had decided to remain at the clinic and wait to hear word that the creatures were going to be OK. They now sat spread around the lobby, waiting patiently for one of the doctors or nurses to come back out and give them the news.

They had been there going on two hours now and their conversations had gone from discussing the creatures, to basic small talk, to the comfortable silence they had settled into now. A light snoring could be heard coming from Rainbow Dash, who had settled in beside Twilight and was now sleeping peacefully with a wing draped over the lavender mare. Twilight contented herself with reading the magazines that had been left on a small table nearby, enjoying the warmth of her marefriend, her wing like a soft cozy blanket.

Fluttershy sat a few seats down, reading a magazine. Occasionally, she would peer over the top of the magazine to glance at the red stallion sitting opposite of Rainbow and Twilight. From the look he wore, he was still distraught about the injuries he had unwittingly inflicted on the creature he had tackled. She desperately wanted to go comfort him, but her nerves would never allow her to do that.

The door they had taken the creatures through opened, drawing everypony’s attention. Nurse Redheart stepped through the door, saw the group and trotted over, Twilight nudging Dash awake so she could hear what she had to say. Redheart stopped a few paces away, waiting for Rainbow to fully awaken before starting.

“Both of the creatures are stable and look to make a full recovery.” She started with a smile. “They will be unconscious for the next five or six days while they recover.”

A collective look of relief washed over all of the ponies before her.

“Now I’m going to have to ask you all to leave, it’s getting late and we will inform you if anything changes.”

They all got up and started heading towards the door, Twilight turning back towards her for a moment.

“I’ll be sending a letter to the princess to tell her about the creatures, maybe she can shed some light on them.” Receiving a nod from Redheart, she turned back to catch up with the rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside the clinic the four friends said their goodbyes as they each went their separate directions. Fluttershy watched Rainbow and Twilight as they headed towards the library, before looking the other direction to see Big Mac slowly making his way back towards Sweet Apple Acres. His hung held low and it was obvious that he was still upset with himself.

She caught up to him and for a few minutes simply walked beside him. She mulled over different ideas of what she could say to the stallion to make him feel better, but everything she kept coming up with sounded half-hearted. Several times she caught him looking her direction and thought he was going to say something, but each time he simply put his head back down and continued on.

She noticed that they were getting close to the intersection, where she would have to part ways so that she could get to her house, and decided that she had to say something, even if it wasn’t perfect.

“U-um Big M-Macintosh?”

The stallion slowed and turned to face her.

“I know that… um… you feel bad about hu-hurting that poor creature, but… um…” She instinctively pulled back behind her mane but she fought to keep her voice audible. “I know you w-wouldn’t have hit it as hard if you knew that it could be hurt so easily. It was j-just an accident.” She mustered up her confidence and gave him a small smile, which he returned.

“Thank ya kindly, Miss Fluttershy.”

She felt a blush creep onto her face, and they continued on in silence until they reached the intersection that led to their respective homes and they had to part ways.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delays on chapter releases. New promotion at work left me with very little time to do anything at all.