• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 6,421 Views, 51 Comments

Separate Ways - Frosty the Batty



Jeremy, after dating Rarity for less than a year, finds out that she lied to him.

  • ...
20
 51
 6,421

Why Would you do this to Me?

You’ve been spending the better part of a year with your marefriend. You and Rarity have kissed under an old oak tree. The two of you had a few picnics under the starry night sky. The two of you even had a hot moment in the movie theater a time or two. You thought you did everything you could as a couple. Hell, you even had go ol’ missionary with the unicorn! And to top it off, you moved in with her as well!

And yet, you felt something was… off. It was as if something was missing, whether it was her or you, you couldn’t put your finger on it. You thought maybe it was the amount of time you’ve spent dating her. Sure, it’s been at ten months that you’ve actually spent going out with her. You honestly thought nothing was really wrong with your relationship.

For starters, the little town in which you and her live in, Ponyville, is pretty open minded when it comes to multi-species relationships. That was a big plus for you. And secondly, Rarity’s an element of Harmony! No one could really speak out against your going out with her because of her statues of a national hero. Which is another big benefit. But still, the feeling in the bottom of your stomach nagged nagged. As if your guts knew something you didn’t. But seeing nothing wrong yourself, you shrugged it off and continued with your life.



Then one day, the unthinkable happens. Rarity called you into her office -if your could call it that, to talk about something. You thought it was weird since Rarity never called you for anything, she kinda just told you or asked you about something.

You walked into her office area after hearing her call your name for the third time.

“Jeremy- Oh! There you are darling.” She said when she saw round a corner, she was wearing her red glasses. There was an odd aura about her, you couldn’t place what it meant. “Please, come with me.” She said and walked into the kitchen.

“Ok...” You said and followed close after her. You both took a seat at the dining table across from each other. She wanted you to sit across from her for some reason. As you took your seat, her face turned… professional.

“Jeremy, you and I have been… dating, correct?” She asked. You couldn’t help but notice a slight tremble in her voice.

“Yes, for ten months, our anniversary is next week. Is all this about that?” You asked, something was making her eyes shine more than usual now.

“Yes, darling...” She said. “... You do know about pony traditions, right?” You nodded.

“Yeah. Twilight pretty much beat all that stuff into my head.” You said with a chuckle. ANd it seemed to elicit a giggle from the white mare. But, her laughed sounded… Bitter? No, it sounded more… more like a mix between a forced laugh and a sob.

“Yes, she wouldn’t leave you until you understood every little detail.” She began tracing circles around with her hoof. “So, you should know that, after a certain amount of time, a mare and a stallion would either marry or… separate.” She whispered the last part.

“Well yeah, but I thought we would try to mix both our traditions...” You said, but you thought about what she’s talking about. And it didn’t take long for you to realize what she might be getting to. “Wait. Do you want to...” You couldn’t finish your sentence, it was becoming a reality. She wants to get married! Holy fuck! You didn’t get the ring yet! You gotta have to-

“Well… I… ehm… I don’t know how to say this… Uhm… I think… I think we may have spent too much time together.” Rarity’s head dipped down. Her gaze refusing to meet with yours.

You don’t understand, shouldn't she be happy? She wants to join you in holy matrimony, doesn’t she?

“I… don’t think I understand.” You said uncertainly. Rarity, in a reluctant sort of way, brought her head back up. Tears stained by her mascara running down her cheeks. Leaving you in an even more confused state.

Then realization hit you like a bullet train.

You didn’t to believe what was happening, you wanted to get up, head back to your shared room, hit the bed and wake from this nightmare.

But that never happened. You’re still sitting in the kitchen, shocked beyond belief. This was real. You’re in real life, and your marefriend of two months short a year wants to break up, after all the of you been through together.

“Wait… Y-you want...” You suck back a sob building in the back of your throat. There were already tears threatening to spill out. “You want to… break up?” You finally asked. Rarity looked down and off to the side.


“... Yes.”

You felt an ice cool knife stab at your hear from her admission.

“It’s not you, so much as it is myself. As cliche as that sounds...” Rarity continued, she continued to speak, but you didn’t hear much of it, the only thing you caught was something about you moving out.

You couldn’t understand why she wanted this. You couldn’t fathom what would make her want to separate from you. You two were madly in love with each other!

… Right?

You thought about it; there had to be someone else. She wouldn’t just drop this on you as suddenly as she did without some ulterior motive. No, there had to be something, or someone/pony, else behind this.

“There’s someone else, isn’t there?” You asked suddenly, interrupting the unicorn.

“W-what?” She asked.

“There’s someone else isn’t there? You’ve been seeing some other guy behind my back, haven’t you?” You asked in dark scowl. You were expecting a verbal answer, but the look of complete shame on her face told you everything. “I see. I’ll see myself out.” You got up from your chair and angrily stomped up to your soon-to-be old room to gather your things.

“Jeremy! Wait!” Rarity called after you. But you ignored her, you just wanted to leave. You roughly push your bedroom door open, gathered the item that belonged to you, which were nothing more than your toothbrush, a few sets of clothes, and your phone and charger. You packed it all into a suitcase you used for trips with Rarity and head back downstairs. You took few momentous from your world on your way out.

You were soon out the boutique with Rarity still pleading for you to listen to her. But you didn’t give her the chance; she lied to you, she’s been lying to you. You don’t know for how long, but you don’t care. Your heart hurt as much as it is already. You feel like you’re going to throw up.

Soon enough, Rarity’s voice grew distance as you made your way over to Twilight’s place. Her being the only one of your friends having a spare room you could use until you get a place of your own. Plus, you could use a shoulder to cry on right about now.


You couldn’t sleep the following night. Thoughts racing through your head about the ex-mare of your life. You’ve already thought many times how your relationship with Rarity was supposed to be perfect. But you just couldn’t stop thinking about it. And it was past morning already.

Twilight was good help, being the only friend you could confide in. It helped you feel a little better after you told her everything. And her being your emotional support did wonders for you, but it wasn’t enough for you, though you were still grateful. It was late in the morning now. You haven’t moved from your spot on the bed. Twilight came to check up on you a couple of times to make sure your were fine. And you were thankful for that; you could always rely on the princess of Friendship. But now, you were feeling restless, as much as you just wanted to lay in your bed and wither away. So, you decided to get up, thinking a few drinks of hard cider would be good right about now. You don’t plan on becoming an alcoholic, but a mug of hard cider looked really appealing.

So you change your clothes and head over to the only restaurant that serves the good stuff; The Pasture. It was a cafe, oddly enough. It was there that you and Rarity went to for your first date. The cafe had a karaoke machine you hilariously sung a hearts and hooves day song. It brought a bitter-sweet smile to your face. You realized every restaurant in this town will leave you with bitter memories.

You trudged your way inside, and spent the rest of the day drinking yourself silly. The hours flew by in your inebriated state. It was past sun down when you decided to head back to the crystal castle. You paid the pony working the counter and you were about to head off when you spotted two ponies entering the establishment.

It was Rarity, she had on an all too familiar red dress that showed off her left flank. She also had on red lipstick and her lashes were more pronounced than usual. Her mane was also done up with more curls than usual. Making her look absolutely stunning.

There was a stallion next to her, a pegasus. His coat was dark grey, his eyes were piss yellow, his cutie mark was a cloud with a lightning strike, and his mane was styled as a mohawk. It was Thunderlane. That’s who Rarity’s been cheating on you with. And it looks like she’s already moved on.

You fucking whore. You thought with a scowl. Rarity looks your direction, and immediately her eyes meet with yours. She recoiled slightly, not expecting you to be here apparently. Thunderlane sees the shocked look on her face and looks over to you, you stare right through him when you lock eyes with him. She doesn’t deserve you. She doesn't deserve to be with anybody.

You watch on as Thunderlane says something to Rarity, the background noise of the cafe made hearing them impossible. Rarity shook her head slightly, snapping herself out of her own stupor. And moved on without so much as a fleeting glance back at you. Proving to you once again of her stance on the situation. It was merely awkward for her. It enraged you. You wanted right then and there to walk over and slap the mascara right off her lying, cheating face. You decided against acting upon your emotions; it wouldn’t do you any good.

Instead, an idea enters your mind. You decided to let her know how you feel, whether she wanted to or not. She will know how you feel about her cheating on you.

You walk onto the stage with the machine, and plug your phone in -a little modification the owner made when you helped her out moving heavy crates around a while back. You then scroll through the long list of songs in your device. Taking a moment to be thankful Twilight discovered a way for you to charge it.

There was bound to be a song to perfectly display what you think.

You eventually found it; Separate Ways -or Worlds Apart, by Journey. You tap your phone and the song begins as you set it down on top the machine. The ponies, including Rarity and Thunderlane, heard the music starting and turned to you in interest. You picked up the mic and began…


Here we stand,
Worlds apart,
Hearts broken in two, two, two…

You spy Rarity’s eyes widening.

Sleepless nights...
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you, you, you...

As the music kept playing, your eyes closed and you thumped your foot to the beat. Just as the beat picked up you let out a sorrowful whale.

Feelin' that it's goooo~one
Can't change your mind...
If we can't go oooooooo~on…

Another whale, full of despair and hatred, escaped your lips.

To survive the tide
Love diviiiiiiii~ides...

Your eyes open and you see Rarity bring a hoof up to cover her mouth.

Someday~ love will find you,
Break those~ chains that bind you,
One night, will remind you,
How we touched
And went our separate ways~

At this point you quickly thought to replace a few words from the actual song.

If he ever hurts you
True love, will desert you,
You know, I still hate you,
Though we touched
And went our separate ways~

Most of the ponies stared at you, while fresh tears streamed down your cheeks, with looks of confusion and pity. Rarity, you didn’t care about her anymore, but it felt good to see those salty tears ruin her makeup. You knew well before you’d make her her cry, you saw it as revenge for lying to you all this time. It felt amazing to get it.

Troubled times~
Caught between
Confusion and pain, pain, pain…

You closed your eyes again. You let your emotions flow freely through the microphone and out into the crowd.

Distant eyes~
Promises we made in vain
In vaaaa~in, in vian…

If you must goooooo~
I wish you love,
You'll never walk alooooo~ne
Take care my love,
Miss you love,

Someday~ love will find you,
Break those~ chains that bind you,
One night, will remind you,
How we touched
And went our separate ways~,

If he ever hurts you
True love, will desert you,
You know, I still hate you,
Though we touched
And went our separate ways~

You pause to take a few breaths, then get right back to singing your heart out as the song continues.

Ooooooh~

Someday~ love will find you,
Break those~ chains that bind you,
One night, will remind you,

If he ever hurts you
True love, will desert you,
You know, I still hate you,

You force your eyes open and stared deeply in Rarity’s eyes, she looked back at you, her tears falling down her face like a river. You knew your words were ice cold pikes to her, piercing her heart.

I still love you, girl
I really love you, girl
And if he ever hurts you
True love, will desert you

Nooooooooo
Nooooooooo

You didn’t know why you left those words in there, but you pain my mind to it. As soon as the song ended, you held the mic out in front of you, and dropped it. You were out of breath, the place was quiet, you were about to grab your phone and leave, but a pair of hooves clapping stopped you. You looked up and saw that it was Ditzy clapping. She was with that stallion with an hourglass mark, and her daughter, Dinky. Who were also tearing up and balling out respectively.

Pretty soon, more and more ponies began applauding. It dawned on that all these ponies, you’ve met at some point while dating Rarity, and they knew of you dating her. Some you knew, like the Hooves family, Sea Shine, even Applejack and Rainbow. Their cheeks were wet as well.

You figured they all found out what was going on when they peered at Rarity and Thunderlane. And it made revenge all the better with you. By tomorrow afternoon, everybody will know the Element of generosity cheated on her Human lover, the only human in existence. At least, you hope it’ll be that way. Rumors can twist words around when spread like wildfire.

But, you thought, you’ll be there. Telling every, single pony the truth. You smiled a bitter smile, grabbed your phone and left the cafe, closing the doors behind you while ponies continued to clap.

You suddenly heard the front doors open, you glance back and see Rarity, her mane showing signs of dishevelment, and her makeup in utter disaster. From her mascara, to her lipstick, she looked downright dreadful. She was panting, you guessed she pushed her way through the crowd to get to you.

"Jeremy," She breathed, still catching her breath. "I...I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry..." She started sobbing and I scoffed.

"Sorry doesn't give me back ten wasted months of my life. Sorry doesn't replace all the love and compassion I had for you. Sorry doesn't fix the fact that you cheated on me.

Do me a favor, and stay the fuck out of my life, you fucking whore." You turned back around and walked back to Twilight's, hearing Rarity wails echo in the distance.