• Published 28th Jan 2017
  • 987 Views, 15 Comments

A Princess' Request: Three Crates - FerociousCreation



After the events of the recent Summer Sun Celebration, Derpy has been busy with deliveries nonstop! And when Princess Celestia arrives to the post office to request a delivery to Canterlot, the alicorn specifically requests that Derpy would deliver.

  • ...
1
 15
 987

Red Curls

Derpy flapped her wings in quick succession, traveling through the air with a cart in tow. With the three crates in the wagon, and the life of a nasty insect no longer existing, the mare was in good spirits.

The land below was like a small terrarium as Derpy made her way toward Canterlot. It never was a dull moment when the pegasus flew through the sky; most likely due to her clumsy nature. But when it didn’t intervene, Derpy was able to enjoy the small things in life, so long as those small things didn’t crash into her.

With the castle now close, the mare rose high into the air to see where she needed to land. A nice open patch of grass near the entrance of the castle. It took no time at all for Derpy to descend onto the castle ground. The grass tickled at her hooves as the mare removed the harness from her back.

FWEEEEEEET!

A whistle rang out in the air, startling the mare. She looked left, right, and then up. From the sky, a pegasus knight landed on the earth with a harsh thud. “Mam, make no sudden movements!” When the stallion got a good look at the pegasus, Derpy was standing on top of the front crate, as if she were to perform a pirouette. I… hope she isn't trying to test me…

“Wh-what seems to be the problem?” Derpy muttered, nervous about the sharp spear in the knight’s grasp.

Clearing his throat, the guard answered, “This is a restricted flight zone. There have been no reports that there will be a pegasus delivering packages to Canterlot Castle by air.”

“B-b-but I need to deliver these packages to Princess Celestia.” Derpy spoke, wobbling on her one back hoof. "She told me to get these to her throne room by any means necessary.”

Suddenly the guard tensed up. “Wait, what is your name? Do you have some form of identification?”

“Can I move first?” Derpy pleaded, starting to lose her balance. Beads of sweat were forming at her brow, trying to concentrate to steady her leg. Her muscles were burning from the constant pressure of standing with one hoof.

“You may.” With the guards permission, Derpy allowed herself to fall onto the grass face first. Derpy dug through her pockets, trying to find her i.d. and show the guard she was no intruder.

FWEEEEEET!

Another whistle tore through the castle grounds as another pony charged toward Derpy and the guard. “You there!” the unicorn shouted. She skidded to a halt and glared at the mailmare. Her mane was a red-rose color, short and curly, and her fur was a goldenrod shade, bright and yellow. She wore what looked to be a sharp police officer outfit, and an even sharper stare. The badge on her shirt read, Officer Red Curls.

Red Curls pulled out a pad and began scribbling on it. “Mam, you do realize this is a restricted flight zone, right?”

“I… do now thanks to him,” Derpy muttered, pointing at the guard in front of her.

The officer tore the paper from the pad and lightly smacked it on Derpy’s shoulder as it stuck to her. Derpy read the paper over and realized what it was. “A fine!?”

“You are being loud…” Red Curls grumbled. She scribbled onto her pad and placed another ticket on Derpy; this time, on her chest. “That's for disorderly conduct; shouting in the palace.”

Derpy looked at the pegasus guard who was staring dumbfounded at the two mares. “A little help would be nice! Tell her I needed to show you my I.D!”

Taking a step forward, the guard gave a kind smile, “Officer Red Curls, I have this under control.”

However, the hot tempered earth pony did not like his words. “Why have you not arrested this fugitive?” Fugitive is a harsh word, don't you think…?

The guard looked over Derpy. “We just need to verify who she is before passing judgement.” Red Curls scribbled on her pad, tore it off, and gave the white pegasus a light smack on the cheek, the ticket sticking to his face.

“That's for aiding a criminal.” Derpy couldn't take the rude officer’s attitude, and took the fine from the guard’s face and crumpled it into a ball.

“My name is Derpy Hooves if that is what you are trying to find out,” the pegasus spoke to the guard. He tensed up at the mere mention of her name. With courage in her breast, Derpy lobbed the ball of paper at the officer’s face and leered at Red Curls. “The guard here was doing a fine job until you showed up.”

Once more, Red Curls scribbled on her pad, muttering, “Assault… on officer…” Her eyes peered at the paper ball that rested on the grass. “...and littering… in the Canterlot… Castle grounds…” Red Curls’ eyes met with Derpy’s, both mares wielding fire in their stares.

Before the situation could get any worse, a voice that rivaled that booming clap of thunder roared, “WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS BICKERING IN MY SISTER’S DOMAIN!?

All three ponies flinched at the voice, looking up to see a dark-blue alicorn descend from the sky. She gracefully landed in the ground, as her night sky-like mane drifted with an invisible breeze.

“Princess Luna!” Red Curls and the guard exclaimed, bowing in respect and fear. Suddenly, Derpy realized what they had just said, and bowed as well, slamming her face hard on the grass.

Looking to the guard, the princess asked, “Is this the mare who is delivering my sister’s packages?”

“I- I was just about to verify that,” he answered as beads of sweat formed at his brow.

“You there, gray one!” Luna’s voice was full of authority and Derpy sprang her head up.

“Yeff prinfeffs?” Derpy mumbled as she saluted, her mouth full of dirt and grass. Amused, the alicorn cracked a smile.

“My sister did say to be on the lookout for a… unique pegasus.” Luna squinted at Derpy, observing her cross-eyed feature. “Are you able to see normally, despite your vision being slightly altered?”

Derpy spat out the clump of dirt and grass before answering, “This is my normal face, even if it doesn't seem that way.”

“So it seems.” Like the sun setting in the west, Princess Luna’s happy smile left her and a cold stare fell upon the officer. “Officer…” The princess read her badge. “...Red Curls.”

“Yes, princess!” Red Curls straightened herself, wondering why the alicorn was glaring at her so bitterly.

“Why are you, a local law enforcer who should be patrolling the city, here in the castle grounds?” Luna raised a brow, expecting an answer.

“I-I saw that mare fly into the castle grounds, and as all law personnel know, only registered ponies are allowed to fly into Canterlot Castle. A-and if there is to be a pegasus, such as Miss Derpy here, were to deliver anything by air to the Canterlot Castle, every patrol officer, guard, and any other law enforcer is notified the day before.” Red Curls looked at the green grass, shivering at Luna’s presence. “And… I was not informed of Miss Derpy’s arrival. So I… fined her. Several times in fact.” She then swallowed, “...along with giving the guard beside her a ticket as well.”

“And what were their crimes?” Red Curls couldn't get the answers out, and instead, remained still. “Miss Red, as much as I appreciate your care for this kingdom, I wish for you to stay to your normal position as a patrol officer and not come onto the castle grounds unless requested; the guards here can do a nice job with apprehending criminals who dare trespass.”

Derpy looked at the guard while the princess lectured the officer. “Do you want to see my I.D, just to make sure I am who I am?”

“If you are Derpy Hooves, then you will be cleared of any suspicion that I have about you.” With her question answered, the mare pulled out her I.D. to the guard. Without warning, something buzzed passed by Derpy’s face, and shrieked when she saw that it was a bee.

Princess Luna and Red Curls looked to see what the commotion was and saw the pegasus leering at the insect on the ground. Derpy noticed all eyes on her, and blushed. “Sorry, I don't like bees…”

Luna saw the small thing on a small flower, collecting pollen. A dark glow radiated from Princess Luna’s horn, the mare looking… murderous. “I dislike them greatly as well…” A blast of magic was fired at a blinding speed, smashing the ground, leaving a crater of where the bee and flower were. Derpy and the guard flinched, their eyes wide at the hole where smoke drifted into the air.

“...In short…” Luna resumed her lecture, as if the pest issue was nothing more than dust on her hooves, “leave the guards to do their business. As for their fines, erase them. Understand, officer?”

“Y-yes, princess!” Red Curls bowed. Before leaving she castle grounds, she spoke to Derpy, “Forgive my… nasty attitude. I take my job very seriously.”

Derpy Hooves couldn't hold that fact against Red Curls and gave a friendly gesture. “It's okay. I know what you mean.”

No longer feeling the need to stay, Officer Red Curls left. The guard approached the princess and said, “I have just verified with our guest that she is indeed Derpy Hooves, here to deliver Princess Celestia’s packages.”

“I never had my doubts that she wasn’t,” Luna imputed. She smiled at the mailmare. “Now with her no longer bothering you, you may take those three containers to my sister’s throne room.”

“Understood!” Derpy saluted. “Now… where is the throne room?”