• Published 28th Jan 2017
  • 987 Views, 15 Comments

A Princess' Request: Three Crates - FerociousCreation



After the events of the recent Summer Sun Celebration, Derpy has been busy with deliveries nonstop! And when Princess Celestia arrives to the post office to request a delivery to Canterlot, the alicorn specifically requests that Derpy would deliver.

  • ...
1
 15
 987

Lunar Eclair

Derpy and Dinky walked into Ponyville’s Sugarcube Corner, the wafting smell of baked goods awaking their empty stomachs. A deal for a baker’s dozen of donuts was written in chalk on a small chalkboard near the front counter. Derpy grumbled, wondering why the Cakes never have sales for muffins, but knew that donuts were the more prefered morning sweet among ponies, Dinky included. The sale was once again celebrating a heroic victory from Princess Twilight Sparkle, or rather, her student, Starlight Glimmer. The evil Queen Chrysalis had struck again and fillynapped not only all four princesses, but the wielders of the Elements of Harmony as well. But thanks to Starlight Glimmer and her brave entourage, they not only rescued those who were taken, but reformed the entire changeling hive, excluding the changeling queen. That was enough to have a celebration, but this was something normal for Derpy. Ever since Twilight Sparkle arrived to Ponyville, strange, amazing, wacky, and even dangerous things have happened to the small town. At least the now Princess of Friendship allowed Derpy to make her occasional trip to Canterlot and deliver Princess Celestia her broken glass for murals.

A changeling at the front tapped her chin, not sure what to get. At the counter, Pinkie Pie was offering everything the bakery was selling, overwhelming the reformed creature. Dinky stared in awe, wanting to ask the creature many questions, as did many of the fillies and colts that stood in line. Derpy felt her leg tapped and she looked down to see her daughter grabbing her attention. “Mom, is it true that changelings can turn into anypony?”

Dinky may be a lot less clumsy and more clever than her mother, but there were many things the child still had yet to learn about. And Derpy saw it rude that her daughter would ask such a question in public. “Dinky,” Derpy scolded, “it is rude to say that. She might hear you.” The changeling briskly walked out of the store with her paper bag in mouth. The filly stared at the changeling as mare walked toward the door. Derpy noticed her daughter and covered her eyes. “And don’t stare. Can’t you tell she is already nervous?”

“Mom!” Dinky rebelled, but that only flustered the filly even more as she brought more attention to herself. With the changeling out of the line, the purchases went a lot faster. When Derpy got to the front, she allowed Dinky to get any doenut; but only a doenut she could finish. Otherwise, Dinky wouldn’t get another doenut for a week. Derpy did not like having food wasted, especially when she payed for it.

After Derpy made her purchase, the two went outside and sat at a table with three chairs. Derpy scooted the vacant chair beside her, reserving it for Time Turner. He seemed to be running late, which was abnormal for the scientist. Then again, it wasn’t abnormal of him to be caught up in some sciencey nonsense. Dinky had already begun eating her honey-glazed donut, already halfway finished. Thanks to the changelings reforming for good, the bakery’s current sweet theme was honey. However, Derpy took no notice, nor care to the theme and remained loyal to her habit: two muffins; one with a fruit flavor, one with a lot of sugar.

A pony called out, “Good morning, Derpy.” Derpy turned her head, only to be stabbed in the eyes by the morning sun. The mare wondered why the morning sun had to be so bright so early in the day. Derpy had to squint her eyes, a silhouette of her friend on the approach.

“Morning, Time Turner,” Derpy said. The stallion took a seat beside Derpy, his head blocking the bright sphere. Derpy had to adjust herself to make sure Time Turner would keep her safe from becoming blinded. “Don’t move, please. The sun is too bright right now.”

“Have I become your personal solar eclipse?” the stallion joked.

“I did get you a lunar eclair,” Derpy smiled. The mare opened her paper bag and hooved Time Turner an eclair with purple frosting and star sprinkles on top. “I thought you might like a little science in your breakfast.”

“You may be thinking of astronomy, Mom,” Dinky said, her doenut now a donut hole.

“Same thing,” Derpy said, rolling her eyes. “So guess who came to the post office yesterday?”

Time Turner tapped his chin, pretending to think. “Was it Princess Celestia needing another delivery of broken glass?”

Derpy smiled as she pulled out her banana muffin. “How did you know?”

“Every time something happens in Equestira, Twilight and/ or her friends manage to solve the problem, causing you to be requested to deliver more glass.” The stallion bit into his morning treat, delighted with the flavor. The sprinkles added a bit of crunch to his bite while the cream filling filled his mouth.

“You are not wrong about that,” said Derpy. She bit into her muffin before continuing, “Fo foday, I fwill be delifering anoffer fet of free crates.” Chunks of muffin showered Dinky and the filly whined about the gross act.

“Can you repeat that?” Time Turner asked.

After swallowing her first bite, Derpy repeated, “Today, I will be delivering another set of three crates.”

“More business for the princess’ personal mailmare, I see.” Time Turner leaned on his elbow, his head moving very slightly. But that slight adjustment caused some light to beam at Derpy, and the mare had to duck into the stallion’s shadow again. “Will you be leaving soon?”

Derpy considered not talking with her mouth full and swallowed before speaking again, “I actually need to leave in just a moment. I want to get a head start on my day. Those crates can sure be heavy.”

Time Turner flushed, “May I walk you to work today? I have a… personal question to ask you?” His eyes looked to Dinky, the filly nodding with a smile.

“Of course you can!” Derpy beamed. “Maybe while we walk, I can tell you the method Armstrong and I have been doing when I deliver the crates.”

The mere mention of Armstrong quickly deflated any courage the light-brown stallion had. “How… is he doing?”

“Armstrong is doing very well. He just got a promotion!”

“That’s… great…”

“Mmhmm!” Derpy stood from her seat. “It is always great to see him.” Instead of standing, Time Turner remained still. “Anyways, let’s go, Time Turner!” Derpy looked at her daughter, “Dinky, head straight to school when you are finished.”

Time Turner stuttered, “O-on second thought, I… I forgot I needed to do something back at the umm… the lab.”

Derpy hummed, “Hmm… Alright then…” Her wings fanned out and the pegasus began to take flight and gave a salute, “Goodbye, you two.” Time Turner and Dinky gave a weak wave as Derpy flew off.

Dinky gave Time Turner a hard stare, “Are you kidding me!” The child’s outburst caused the stallion’s ears to fall back. “Why is it so hard to confess your love to my mom!”

“I just… it’s just-”

“Just what? Did you get discouraged because Mom mentioned Armstrong?”

Time Turner didn’t want to admit it, but lying to the already flared child wouldn’t help his predicament. “I was discouraged… B-but I have my reasons-”

“No!” Dinky exclaimed. “No more reasons! No more excuses!” The filly hopped off her chair and looked up at the upset stallion. “Stand up!” Time Turner didn’t know what compelled him to listen to such an instruction, but he did. Dinky then bit onto his tail and started to pull him. “You are coming with me!”

It shocked Time Turner at how strong Dinky was as he tried to resist her, but failed in the end. “W-where are we going?” he asked nervously.

“To Mom’s work!”