• Published 15th May 2017
  • 1,422 Views, 31 Comments

My Little Mages: Weight of the Crown - Foxhelm



The Summer Sun Celebration has come again, this time Twilight is now a demigoddess and a princess. However, things often go array as the sky is day and night and the princesses are gone. A My Little Mages retelling of "Princess Twilight Sparkle"

  • ...
2
 31
 1,422

The New Year

Prologue: Dealing with Change

A young woman between 19 and 21 of age hovered in mid-air. Her hair was a rainbow in color and did in a high ponytail with a hairpin with a stylized cloud and tri-colored rainbow of red, yellow and blue, with cerise eyes. She wore black sock-like boats that went above her knees, with a dull purple shirt and light a dull blue shirt with white and gold wing styled sleeves. On her waist was a quiver with a bow and from her ankles came ethereal wing. This young woman was Rainbow Dash and called out to what she was watching just off, “Come on, Twilight, you need to flap those wings harder!” she shouted as another young woman, the aforementioned Twilight, full name Twilight Sparkle, flew towards her. Twilight was slightly taller than the rainbow-haired girl and was slightly older than her, Twilight also had had dark sapphire hair with two streaks one was rose and the other was violet, her eyes were violet and she had metallic wings purple and gold in color from her back with two amethyst six-pointed stars like a shoulder ball. She wore a headband with a horn-like amethyst focusing gem on her forehead, with a dull blue robe with large golden cuffs, pink pants and brown boots that went up above her ankle. The young woman with the metallic wings towards her at high speed but Twilight was starting to lose altitude and then her metallic wings gave out, crying out with a ‘whoa!’.

As Twilight plummeted she was caught in a massive inflatable structure. Said structure then deflated as Rainbow Dash landed. Next to where she landed were four other young women about the same age to each other. One had long deep-magenta hair with a small tiara on her head with three sapphires cut as kites, she had azure eyes, she was dressed in a long pinkish-purple gown with arm-length gloves and a long slightly transparent pinkish red shawl going around her back and hanging from her elbows, her name was Rarity. The next was a blonde woman, named Applejack, done in low ponytail dressed in brown pants, brown boots, a red leather jacket with some pieces of armor most notably pauldrons with stylized apples, brown gloves, a scabbard with a long sword in it. Next to her was a shorter woman with cotton pink hair, blue eyes, dressed in a bear legged leotard with blue cruelly toed shoes a pink jester coat and a dark pink jester’s hat with three balloons, one was yellow and two were blue, her name was Pinkie Pie. The last woman also had pink hair like Pinkie Pie, but her hair was light pink, she was barefoot and she was dressed in a green, yellow and light blue dress with a stylized pink butterfly as a brooch for her hood, her name was Fluttershy. As the structure deflated Twilight started to walk off. “Yeah, um, okay, maybe not as hard,” Rainbow Dash commented with a weak apologetic laugh and smile.

Twilight lost her balance as she tried to get on the ground, but was caught by Applejack, “For most of that, yah were doin' well, Princess Twilight,” Applejack said as she helped Twilight right herself and finished with a slight bow.

“Please don't call me that,” Twilight said as she tapped on Applejack’s shoulder making the paladin stand up as the others walked up to the two. "All of you."

“Why are you exempting us from calling you by your title?” Rarity asked slightly baffled that someone would not embrace a new title and position in society, she most certainly would have her new rank broadcasted. “I know we are friends, but it hasn't been a fortnight since your coronation and you've already stopped wearing your tiara, except for formal occasions,” Rarity brought home her point. “At the very least embrace your new title.”

Twilight brushed herself off, “I know have to accept it when others address me with the title, but... when my friends call me 'princess'...," Twilight paused looking down as if ashamed, "it just doesn't feel... like it's part of me,” Twilight then sighed before she continued. “nor do these,” Twilight said as she looked at and called attention to her metallic wings, these new appendages were something she was far from accustomed to and with, even with almost fourteen days with them, “The solstices is in two days, and at this rate I won't be able to perform my part for the celebration.” Twilight looked downcast at the ground.

“Well, if you spend all the time you got to work on your flying on the ground, you won't!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she stepped forward getting everyone to focus on her. “Now get back up there and finish this!” She ordered like a drill sergeant and blew a whistle. Twilight then jumped up into the air in a near panic and started to try the run again as Applejack and Rarity re-inflated the inflatable structure.

As Twilight was starting to have a trail that matched her hair color with stars sprinkled in but her wings gave out about three seconds in. Twilight screamed as she fell down onto the inflatable structure. However, unlike the time before the structure didn’t deflate gradually as it should have, instead there was a pop and the air burst out in a gale-like force like a giant whoopee cushion. As Twilight struggled to get back on her feet only to fall onto her rear, everyone was unsure how to proceed with Twilight in her current state, save Pinkie Pie “Wow! you really finished that!” That got a couple of laughs out of Rainbow Dash and Rarity as Twilight groaned in response.


A New Year

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy were all looking at a stained glass window, having been joined up with a bipedal purple scaled-dragon that stood about the same height of the average eleven or twelve-year-old boy, he was Twilight's familiar and assistant, Spike. The window they were looking at was formerly blank, but now it depicted a stylized rendering of Twilight's ascension into her new demigoddess state, with her eyes closed and her tiara with the Element of Magic on her head, as stylized renderings of Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie with their Elements of Harmony on their necks circling her like in their group photograph, with beams coming from the five other Elements to Twilight with a rendering of a spell book above them all with the words "From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled. From all of us together, together we're friends. With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!” for all to read. Of the small group of seven looking at the window, only Rainbow Dash elected to hover with her ethereal wings keeping her aloft. “Your new window is just awe-inspiring, Darling,” Rarity spoke her eyes starry over the rendering depicted in the window, her voice hinting to how amazed she was by the craftsmanship. “They've done a masterful job capturing you and all your majesty.”

“I guess.” Twilight blushed in modesty as she looked away from the window, still getting used to her new position and still very much the woman she was before she completed the unfinished spell almost two weeks before.

This was not lost Rarity, and she continued to awe over the window and Twilight’s new status. “Oh, don't be so demure, Darling. It's every girl’s dream to be a princess and have her investiture depicted for all to see.” Rarity finished with a dreamy sigh, a part of her still wishing to be a princess herself.

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms as she watched Rarity twirl in a dance engrossed in her own fantasy, “I doubt that it's every girl's dream.” Rainbow rolled her eyes as she said ‘every girl’s’ addressing the fact that she and other girls like her were not into the standing around, looking pretty, waving and other things that she assumed princesses did, she was too active of a person.

Fluttershy looked at the ground and watched one of the shadows, with some quick math she calculated the time, “We got to go or we'll miss our train.”

Applejack took out an old pocket watch she had. She opened it and looked at the time, “Fluttershy's right.” She then pocketed the watch and turned to the others, “Yeah, we all got quite the workload back home. The main shindig is here in Chantalot, but we still got our own back in Magiville.” She then turned to Twilight as the new princess looked down, not looking forward to spending the day without her friends. Applejack placed her left hand on Twilight shoulder and lifted Twilight’s chin. “Don't be so down in the dumps, Sugarcube. Yah'll be here with your parents, your brother, Spike, Cadance, Luna, and Celestia when she raises the sun.”

Twilight took a breath before she tried to smile and accept the assurance her paladin friend and all the others were trying to offer her as best they can, “And I'm truly honored,” Twilight then sighed as she looked at her friends, “But the Summer Sun Celebration is what first brought us all together. It's our friendship's first anniversary. It's not right that we won't be spending that day together.”

Rarity gave a sorrowful albeit drama ‘ow’ before she spoke, “Yes it's not right, Darling. If our aid was not required, we would remain here, even bring our sisters; Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo. They would just love to chat with Princess Luna." Rarity said as turned to Applejack and Rainbow Dash. "Also, you must tend to your new duties.” The six started out of the throne room and headed to the entrance of the castle.

Applejack and the whole group stop and hugged Twilight reassuringly, “The last Summer Sun Celebration may have gotten us together as we are now and gave us the chance to know each other as we do, but The Summer Sun Celebration is not what has or will keep us together,” as Applejack and Twilight ended the embrace, “The six of us are united by more than just the Elements of Harmony, we've had many adventures over this past year, wah fought together, celebrated our achievements and important events together, shared and lived our Lives with each other and not every Discord can change that,” Applejack then turned to the other four and asked them, “Am I right?” They all nodded in agreement.

“We'll write you and keep you so much in the loop that it'll be like you're with us!” Pinkie Pie could barely contain herself as she looked to the other four, “Right?”

Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity performed the ritual in question, “Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

While Rainbow Dash opened the door out so that she and the others would leave the castle to catch their train to Magiville, Rarity turned to face Twilight as the others headed out, “And will be together after the Celebration. We are scheduled to upgrade your decor.” The enchantress finished as she and the others then hugged Twilight wishing that she fair well. They all wave goodbye and the door shut.

Twilight exhaled about a minute in slight sorrow as Spike unscrolled a checklist, “Spike, I know it's only been a minute, and I feel like I'm missing something."

A knock was heard and Twilight and Spike turned to open and the door and there was a male messenger, “A message for Princess Twilight Sparkle,” he said as he handed Twilight a regular envelope with a small bow. Twilight accepted the envelope and the messenger then left shutting the castle door.

Twilight opened the envelope and pulled out a letter. As she read the letter Pinkie Pie’s voice was heard, “Dear Twilight, you haven't missed anything. Pinkie Pie.” Just then the distanced Pinkie Pie’s voice echoed, “That's me!” following that was the echoed laughs of the princess and jester's mutual friends.

Twilight sighed even with a sad smile as she and Spike headed off to the next thing she to accomplish to prepare for the main Summer Sun Celebration, “I know I am,” She said to herself.


As the Spike looked over the list of all the things she was assigned to do for preparing the Summer Sun Celebration, as the day was ending, “And... check!” As he looked over the list he could not help but notice that they had accomplished almost everything they were going to do for the celebration, “We're ahead of schedule! I have credit your assistant,” Spike said as they walked into her old room as the sun was starting to set, the day nearly over.

Twilight gave a laugh as she noticed that Spike was touting his own horn, not that he didn’t merit the praise, “So do I.”

Spike looked at the calendar, namely the circling of the summer solstice and spoke out, “The Celebration isn't for two days.” Spike then looked at the checklist and saw only a few things left on the list and doing some quick math, “We can go to Magiville be back with time to spare!” Spike suggested a smile on his face almost pleading to go to and see their friends before the celebration.

Twilight gave a sigh before she responded to her familiar’s request, “That would be nice, Spike, but...” Twilight then started to pace back and forth and her wings started to flap slowly lift off of the floor. As soon as Spike heard 'but' he toned Twilight's voice out as continued to go on and on about what could happen and panicked throughout it all. Unbeknownst to Twilight, she continued to rise from the floor, something Spike would have commented on if Twilight wasn't lost to the demons of 'What' and 'If'. Twilight's eyes widen in horror in her panic until she crashed into the ceiling with a thud.

Twilight then descended to the floor and landed in pain. She then started to rub her head to soothe and relief from the pain as Spike rolled his eyes before he commented, "So 'no'."

Twilight sat down at on her bed as if she wanted to lie down on it, “This is the first princess-related task Princess Celestia give me. I can't risk letting her down!” Twilight declared as she got to her feet a looked out the window as if making a vow, calling upon an unseen force to bear witness to this.

“I'm certain that you can't,” came a familiar motherlike voice from the doorway into the room. Twilight and Spike turned to see Celestia in the doorway, but she was not with her tiara or her tradition white gown. She was still dressed in white, but it was a set of flannel pajamas, like the set Applejack wore during that sleepover, which caught Twilight and Spike off-guard.

Spike, however, did remember to bow to Celestia, “Your grace!” the dragon declared as he bowed with a dramatic swirl of his hand as if to offer it.

Celestia couldn’t help but giggle a little at that action performed by the dragon before she turned to Twilight, who was also bowing as well, “There is no need for that, Princess Twilight, we are equals now remember?” Celestia then tapped on Twilight’s shoulder and have the younger princess rise back-up.

Twilight gave a nervous laugh with gave a weak apology, “forgive me,” Twilight blushed at that, still very much still mentally in the role of an apprentice with Celestia as her master and far from fully accepting her new position as a princess and her relationship with Celestia as peers, as equals.

Celestia giggled a little and shook her head with a smile on her face, “You did nothing that needs forgiving.” She embraced her former student. After ending the hug, Celestia walked past Twilight and looked out the window as the twilight started, “You know, it's wonderful to actually be looking forward to the day after tomorrow for once.” Celestia gave a sad smile as she watched the stars to come view and the moon slowly start its ascent into the night sky. “See the moon is rising…” Celestia sang softly.

Twilight and Spike shared glances of confusion with each other, “I am sorry, I don't follow, could you explain?” Twilight asked as the two turned back to Celestia.

Celestia turned to the two, “For my subjects, it celebrated Nightmare Moon's defeat. But for me…” Celestia sighed as she turned back to face the night sky, hiding the few tears that rolled down her face and watched Luna on a balcony guiding the moon, “It marked the hardest decisions I ever made…” another sorrowful sigh escaped from Celestia’s lips.

Both Twilight and Spike dipped their heads as Twilight spoke up as she connected the dots finally, “I guess I never considered that.”

Celestia turned to face Twilight and Spike with a bright closed-eye smile, “But now it will mark my sister’s return and our happy reunion.” Celestia then walked from the window and placed her hands on Twilight’s shoulders as she opened her eyes and embrace her former pupil, “I am so pleased that you will be part of the event. I know it's hard with your friends back inMagiville without you on just an important day.”

Twilight returned the hug, “Maybe," she was still not at ease with not being able to be with her friends.

Celestia then ended the hug, “We are not student and teacher as we were before, Peer Twilight, but I hope you understand that I will be here for you.” She lifted Twilight’s chin in an attempt to reassure the younger demigoddess. “As I hope that you will be there for me.” The two smiled at each other.

The two then heard a throat being cleared, and turned to see Spike pointing to a messenger with his right thumb going over his right shoulder, “He got something for at least of one of you.”

The two gave a weak smile as the messenger walked into the room, and gave a bow before he held out a cotton candy pink colored envelope to Twilight, “your graces, I have a message for Princess Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight accepted the envelope and the messenger then left the room and was on his way out of the castle. Twilight then opened the envelope, doing so caused the sound of party poppers to be heard as some confetti leaped out of the envelope causing Twilight laugh a little and a smile on her face.

“A Pinkie Letter?” Celestia asked with a smile looking over Twilight’s shoulder as if to see the letter Twilight.

Twilight, however, just placed the envelope on her desk before turning back to Celestia, “It's not major.” she didn’t actually see the letter and didn’t want to see it yet, in particular with Celestia there. She turned to her familiar, not noticing that the dragon was preparing a small bed and was getting ready to sleep, “Spike, what's next on our list?”

Spike lifted the top sheet of his bed, lowered a sleeping mask over his eyes and grabbed a plushie that resembled Rarity as he got into the bed, “Calling it a day and wishing each other 'good night'?” he asked hoping that the answer would be ‘yes’.

Twilight shook her head as she picked up the scroll with everything she planned to do for her parts for the Summer Sun Celebration the day after the next, “We better check the checklist once more.”

Spike gave an exhausted sigh as he removed his sleeping mask and got up, “knew it…” Spike rolled his eyes as he got out of the bed annoyed that he had to go through another checklist for the third time… again.... today.

Celestia started out of the room with a soft laugh as how much her new peer was still very much herself, “Well good night, to you both.” Celestia left Twilight and Spike and shut the door to their room. She yawned as she walked towards her own bed chambers. As she passed the last corner to her room a small crack formed in the floor and a small black thorny vine came from the crack. The then shot in the direction of the corner Celestia turned. Celestia’s voice is heard giving a gasp followed by a yelp as everything went black.

Author's Note:

And the next story has started and a new year for Twilight and her friends and it looks like another world saving endeavor. These girls just cannot get a break, can they?

"What?":twilightoops:

Nothing... anyway... please hold on tight, this ride is going to bumpy.

"Hey what about me and my story?"
I'll get to you, Sunset, just please be patience.
"Hmph!"

There is no pleasing some people.:ajbemused: